Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeanoMagicHat

Barcelona need to re-sign Neymar and go hell for leather for the CL next year with Messi there. Their recruitment has been disastrous the past few years, culminating in Griezmann. I totally agree that he doesn't track back, and can't be what he was, but he has 2 more years of being a decider at the very highest level.

Barcelona haven't really changed their system recently to accommodate him better, and he is finding the great players around him either stripped away or getting older and slower. Yet his numbers remain astounding. I also wonder how much he's worth to them in shirt sales and publicity too, compared with other players. That must influence contract negotiations.

At a tangent, I actually think Pjanic will be a good signing for them if they're trying to win one more CL - he's a very very good player. But they need Neymar back, that whole thing when he went to PSG was terrible for Neymar and for Barca. And difficult decisions around Busquets and Suarez also need to be made.
Frenkie De Jong is potentially the best defensive midfielder in the world, and they need to play him there. He was a phenomenon for club and country last year. But Busquets is still only 31 and will be hard to move when he's played there non-stop for 10 years. It was an odd signing, almost like they wanted to sign him so nobody else could have him. Pjanic is a good signing, but as a straight replacement for Arthur I can't him being a transformative upgrade, they still have the same issues in other positions.

It's mad they bought Griezmann for so much when Messi was still there, when they need a left winger. With most wingers liking to cut in now on their dominant foot, there is no shortage of good ones in world football that would fit the bill. Wouldn't even have to be Neymar, there are plenty of players that would do a good job and spread the play for Messi.

fps

Frenkie De Jong is potentially the best defensive midfielder in the world, and they need to play him there. He was a phenomenon for club and country last year. But Busquets is still only 31 and will be hard to move when he's played there non-stop for 10 years. It was an odd signing, almost like they wanted to sign him so nobody else could have him. Pjanic is a good signing, but as a straight replacement for Arthur I can't him being a transformative upgrade, they still have the same issues in other positions.

It's mad they bought Griezmann for so much when Messi was still there, when they need a left winger. With most wingers liking to cut in now on their dominant foot, there is no shortage of good ones in world football that would fit the bill. Wouldn't even have to be Neymar, there are plenty of players that would do a good job and spread the play for Messi.
True, yes I should have said, Frenkie is the one who looks brilliant. Griezmann boggles my mind, I assumed he was replacing Suarez who was being phased out. He's never been a destroyer who creates something from nothing like the monster forwards of Barca's recent past, he's a touch player and a systems player who, as you say, really likes the kind of spaces Messi operates.

red thru&thru

As long as we're in an agreement that we don't bring him to United.

Btw, one of my current favourite players but would be a mistake in going for him (if he was available).

Sjaakmeoff

The problem is that Frenkie was a DM in a different system, with two 6's. And yes, in that system he's one of the best in the world. In a system with two 8's not so much (yet).

That's why getting Pjanic might nog be such a bad plan as many people suggest it is, because he think he would do very well with Frenkie next to him.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53279422

Interesting read.
Can’t see anyone else paying him £1m a week though.........
I can see clubs like United, Real, and perhaps Juventus capable of paying those wages.

The club who gets his signature will earn the money back in advertising and potentially trophies, Messi is definitely worth it for a season or two, but the issue is he is 33 now, so unless it was this summer obviously the wages would need to be a little less than that (he may have to take a pay-cut purely because of his age).

Watching Barcelona recently I've also thought why is Messi staying at the club (yes he's been there since he was 13?) but currently he has a few years left to enjoy football. If he won't win trophies or compete in europe at Barca (not replacing Neymar) clearly you can't enjoy football, it's not just the politics, but it's the coaches that he works under and the underwhelming business in the transfer market.

Barca cannot replace Suarez, and they've already lost Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar. Messi can definitely play in a deeper role for the last few years of his career he's the best playmaker and dribbler in the world (still), but infront of him there's nothing, unless somehow Ansu Fati at such a young age is going to carry a team (which no 17 year old is going to do).

VanHaal'sRedArmy

If Messi goes to Napoli or one of the Milan clubs, could we see a Renaissance of Italian football?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's obviously not going anywhere, just contract negotiations since his current deal ends in 2021.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He's obviously not going anywhere, just contract negotiations since his current deal ends in 2021.
Yup, this is probably his first contract negotiation where he isnt getting an automatic pay rise so his team are throwing these kinds of stories out there to put pressure on Barca.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
If Messi goes to Napoli or one of the Milan clubs, could we see a Renaissance of Italian football?
No. There's no money there like there used to be when sugar daddies were competing with each other for the best players in the 90s.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
No, getting a 33 (now 35) year old Ronaldo, and a then 34 year old Messi just makes it the European version of MLS. A lower tier league where aging stars go for one last swan song under less demanding conditions. Just look at the success the likes of Ashley Young, Victor Moses, Christian Eriksen, and Alexis Sanchez are having.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
No, getting a 33 (now 35) year old Ronaldo, and a then 34 year old Messi just makes it the European version of MLS. A lower tier league where aging stars go for one last swan song under less demanding conditions. Just look at the success the likes of Ashley Young, Victor Moses, Christian Eriksen, and Alexis Sanchez are having.
Success? They've been as good as they were in England. Inter already bought Hakimi in order to not have to start Young or Moses and Alexis is a sub.

Eriksen is good but even then he's not what he was at Spurs either.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Messi in a Utd shirt,
I’d like to see that.
:drool:

Martial and Rashford getting on the end of those perfectly weighted passed.

Nah, it's not happen though. He's just trying to push for change at the club he's going to stay at for the effective end of his top level career.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Success? They've been as good as they were in England. Inter already bought Hakimi in order to not have to start Young or Moses and Alexis is a sub.

Eriksen is good but even then he's not what he was at Spurs either.
That’s not true. Young had been hopeless in England for a while and is killing it in Serie A. They are buying Hakimi because Young is 36. Eriksen was shocking for his last 12 months in England. Looks like a player reborn in Italy. Smalling looked like Bambi on ice in England. Looks quality for Roma. Sanchez has come back from injury and looked really good. Bosses it last match. Hasn’t done that in England for over two years. Moses was a forgotten player before his move to Inter. etc etc.

It’s a second tier league. Most players who come from Serie A these days to play in England, can’t hack it and end up going back. It’s not the halcyon days of Italian domestic football. It’s only marginally above Ligue 1. Inter’s line up would struggle to make the top half of the EPL over the course of a season.

MrEleson

That’s not true. Young had been hopeless in England for a while and is killing it in Serie A. They are buying Hakimi because Young is 36. Eriksen was shocking for his last 12 months in England. Looks like a player reborn in Italy. Smalling looked like Bambi on ice in England. Looks quality for Roma. Sanchez has come back from injury and looked really good. Bosses it last match. Hasn’t done that in England for over two years. Moses was a forgotten player before his move to Inter. etc etc.

It’s a second tier league. Most players who come from Serie A these days to play in England, can’t hack it and end up going back. It’s not the halcyon days of Italian domestic football. It’s only marginally above Ligue 1. Inter’s line up would struggle to make the top half of the EPL over the course of a season.
Just look at the success the likes of Ashley Young, Victor Moses, Christian Eriksen, and Alexis Sanchez are having
Sanchez has 2 goals in 13 appearances and the others have barely played more than 10 games each have they? Young killing it? The same guy I saw give away a cheap penalty just 2 games ago in a game inter ended up drawing? Also, Eriksen looked poor in the few times I saw him play although he’s improved recently. Those players are hardly killing it apart from maybe Lukaku who’s always scored goals. The team inter played last round are rock bottom in the league and probably Serie C level so you wouldn’t have exactly expected them to struggle.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Sanchez has 2 goals in 13 appearances and the others have barely played more than 10 games each have they? Young killing it? The same guy I saw give away a cheap penalty just 2 games ago in a game inter ended up drawing? Also, Eriksen looked poor in the few times I saw him play although he’s improved recently. Those players are hardly killing it apart from maybe Lukaku who’s always scored goals. The team inter played last round are rock bottom in the league and probably Serie C level so you wouldn’t have exactly expected them to struggle.
Young moved in January. Sanchez has been injured. You g has played most games since he went. Inter are comfortably 3rd in the league. They are being very successful in that league for one of it’s top sides. Inter fans really like Sánchez, and He’s made enough of an impression that they want to sign him permanently. You couldn’t even dream of being too six in England with these players in your starting line up at this stage of their careers. 2nd tier league. It’s not even in question.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

That's ridiculous. Atalanta are below them and are in the CL quarterfinals. Napoli are 6th and got 4 points out of 2 matches against Liverpool earlier this season.

You are clearly making that comment on the back of watching Inter's highlights of their last match rather than following the league. Young is killing it?? What? Eriksen has looked worse than he did at Spurs but he's reborn? Sanchez has looked really good? When? He's had like 3 good matches all year.

Smalling also was just very good at the start of the season, he has been average since and has made loads of mistakes that led to goals.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
That's ridiculous. Atalanta are below them and are in the CL quarterfinals. Napoli are 6th and got 4 points out of 2 matches against Liverpool earlier this season.

You are clearly making that comment on the back of watching Inter's highlights of their last match rather than following the league. Young is killing it?? What? Eriksen has looked worse than he did at Spurs but he's reborn? Sanchez has looked really good? When? He's had like 3 good matches all year.

Smalling also was just very good at the start of the season, he has been average since and has made loads of mistakes that led to goals.
One off games aren’t a good barometer at all. It’s not ridiculous. Atalanta are a very entertaining side but they had an easy r16 draw. Outside of Juve, Italian teams have been hopeless in Europe for a while. It’s definitely a second tier league. I can’t possible see how you could argue that point. It’s nowhere near the EPL, La Liga or the Bundesliga for quality.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
One off games aren’t a good barometer at all. It’s not ridiculous. Atalanta are a very entertaining side but they had an easy r16 draw. Outside of Juve, Italian teams have been hopeless in Europe for a while. It’s definitely a second tier league. I can’t possible see how you could argue that point. It’s nowhere near the EPL, La Liga or the Bundesliga for quality.
Maybe 5 years ago, not now. They have 5 teams in Europe still. Roma did make the semis 2 years ago. Napoli have had loads of great results and performances against PSG, Barca, Madrid or Liverpool, it wasn’t just one or two off games.

Saying it’s not even close to the quality of the Bundesliga and that Inter wouldn’t finish in the top half of the table in England is just plainly not true. It’s obviously not at the same level of England and Spain but it’s nowhere near as bad as you’re making it seem.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Maybe 5 years ago, not now. They have 5 teams in Europe still. Roma did make the semis 2 years ago. Napoli have had loads of great results and performances against PSG, Barca, Madrid or Liverpool, it wasn’t just one or two off games.

Saying it’s not even close to the quality of the Bundesliga and that Inter wouldn’t finish in the top half of the table in England is just plainly not true. It’s obviously not at the same level of England and Spain but it’s nowhere near as bad as you’re making it seem.
I said Inter would struggle to make it in the top half.with that squad, give the rigours of the EPL. The depth required. They wouldn’t break the top six for sure and would struggle to finish above Wolves or Leicester. That already puts them ninth. Really, Serie A isn’t terrible. I didn’t say it was terrible. I just said it’s a second tier league. And it is. I love Serie A historically. Grew up watching James Richardson and Peter Brackley on Football Italia. Gooooooooollll Accioooo!

But those days are long gone. Poor attendances, low revenues, all the top players leave. Only Juve have any real quality. Europe can be a misleading barometer, because in less competitive leagues, the top teams can rest players at the weekend and prepare for the midweek games, as the quality of opposition doesn’t run deep. That it so much more difficult for English teams to do. The fixture list is much more demanding and results much harder to predict. Resting players at the weekend is much more likely to result in losing vital ground in the league.

Originally this came up because someone asked if Serie A would be making a comeback if they signed Messi next season, and my point was no. Signing an aged Ronaldo and Messi at the twilight of their careers, is just a sign of it being a less demanding and appealing place to go for stars at the end of their career. The demands, quality of football, and speed of the game are all much lower in Italy.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How the feck is Young killing it? :lol:

I really hope Messi goes to Juventus, just to see his link up with Ronaldo. And to see the arguments over penalties and free kicks. Cristiano ballooning a free kick or Messi missing a penalty

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I think we'll sign him. Too much smoke for there not to be fire.

MrEleson

I said Inter would struggle to make it in the top half.with that squad, give the rigours of the EPL. The depth required. They wouldn’t break the top six for sure and would struggle to finish above Wolves or Leicester. That already puts them ninth. Really, Serie A isn’t terrible. I didn’t say it was terrible. I just said it’s a second tier league. And it is. I love Serie A historically. Grew up watching James Richardson and Peter Brackley on Football Italia. Gooooooooollll Accioooo!
Considering you have teams like Arsenal, Sheffield, Burnley & Spurs fill up the 7-10 positions I don’t see why they would struggle for top 10. Inter are currently better than those teams or at least on their level and better coached. You already made it obvious you don’t watch Serie A with your “Young and Sanchez are killing it” comment.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
How the feck is Young killing it? :lol:

I really hope Messi goes to Juventus, just to see his link up with Ronaldo. And to see the arguments over penalties and free kicks. Cristiano ballooning a free kick or Messi missing a penalty
Their egos would destroy Juventus

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This is the first time I could see it being an actual possibility and not just contract negotiations. Most likely he'll still sign, but there's a chance he's had enough of what is happening at Barca and is thinking of trying something new.

izec

I don't see him at Juve, City or PSG at all. He would cost a bomb, too much for anyone. And he is a headache to accommodate. I said that a year ago, Messi as great as he is, is not someone i would want to have in an unbalanced team. I bet Pep wouldn't want him now.

He will stay and then go back to Argentina in a couple of years.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Hate to see him at United. Would be great and is most likely the GOAT but feel it would unbalance the team and we'd be a worst team to accommodate him. Then again he could come in and score fifty goals and we walk the league...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Guys, by the end of the 2021 season, Messi will be 34. Unfortunately, to me this sounds more like an earlier end to his European career than a "I'll win the CL somewhere else". After all, he already said something along the lines that these are his final seasons at the Ballon D'Or ceremony, if I'm not mistaken. Chances are that he calls it quit a bit earlier at the top level because he's had enough of the media circus. If he leaves Barca, he'll leave the stage for good, I think. Maybe go to his boyhood club.

But I think in the end hell extend his contract and play there until he's 35/36.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I wouldn't say Sanchez was a success... he only have 2 goals there, in 20 games. Its just the same shite he has in Man United.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Even though I thought he has been subpar and injured this season, he is still the La Liga topscorer with 22 goals and has 17 assists which is pretty mental for someone having a average season by his standards.

van Persie

Best football player of all-time and still in the top 10 at least - even at 33. Anyone arguing different is being very sentimental or biased.

Please don't give me any "never won the World Cup" or arguments like that. It's clear as day for anyone with eyes open to witness.

Better than Maradona and Pele? Yes

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Saying he's pulled out of contract talks again and may leave next summer when his contracts up.

I'm sure Barca will sort their shite out but I've always imagined Messi at Inter.
Can't Juve sign him? Even 12 months of Messi-Ronaldo in same team would be box office. I think even with the current issues at Barca he'll stay for a while longer. Feels a bit like Ramos in 2015 and now you can't imagine him playing for anyone else but Real Madrid.

Perhaps he'll go and play for Newells when he's 35-36. Will probably retire from Argentina after Qatar world cup so that will be a way of doing his bit for his homeland.

croadyman

Here is the yearly Messi wants to leave Barca story,personally I think he could either go to Beckham's franchise or just back home to Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.