Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheato

His goals and assists stats are insane, although, there are a few question marks over what his motivation will be like in another team. If it is a case of turning out for the highest bidder and trotting about like a mascot for a season, while completely decimating the wagebill structure, then I would rather stick with bringing in youthful talent, who are ambitious, rather than a pre-retirement pay out like Alexis Sanchez. If he came to us, then Bruno is pushed out. If he goes to City, then DeBruyne is out. And Foden doesn't get a look in. And his wages will piss everyone off, like what also happened with Sanchez. Messi at 33 is a big gamble. Talk of a 5 year contract worth 500 million is actually obscene. He could be injured for most of it.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Absolutely, not saying it’s Messi is the only one at fault. Both parties should have done better, but I feel like Messi should have atleast let the fans know what was going on instead of doing things behind the scenes. no ones walking out a winner here.
I imagine given the complexity of the case, his lawyers might have advised against making a public statement that could potentially be used in court in case it gets to that.

From the current reports Barca are being stubborn and are not even interested in speaking with Messi's dad about negotiating an exit. Surely it would be better to sell a 33 year old discontented player for a 50-100m than keep him specially given the wages he's on and how influential he is in the dressing room.

Jam

Honestly I think the entire thing was initially a bluff but Barto is far too arrogant so will happily see Messi out of the club before he resigns.

The longer this goes the more I see him leaving.

Even if Messi does get a ridiculous multi-year contract at City I don’t see him seeing it out, there’ll be a gentleman’s agreement for an easy release if he wants to go do a twilight season in Argentina or the US.

At this point though it’s City or stay, he won’t be going anywhere else. Pep + Money.

And I wouldn’t worry about him shattering their wage structure. Let’s be honest - it’s Messi and that will be recognised (they’re all already handsomely paid). It’s not as if they’re giving Phil Jones £200K a week.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
So what's new with this drama queen? Haven't read anything new in this soap opera for last couple of days. When is he travelling to Manchester?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So, assuming he signs for City, how many goals do people think he'll score this season. I'm going with 36.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
So, assuming he signs for City, how many goals do people think he'll score this season. I'm going with 36.
3 in 35 games. 2 penalties and a hideous flukey deflection that bounces in off his arse

Rolaholic

Egghead says he'd sign for City for 3 years and an additional 2 in New York

littleman

Really not sure why anyone thinks Messi is a gamble at 33.. and this is a player who was never about power, abused speed at his youth, and remains incredibly productive with world-leading technique + vision. Technique is the last to go, and he'll have it in spades. Vision never goes.

We talk about Scholes retiring at 36, Giggs retiring at 40.. and somehow Messi is over the hill at 33.

He's going to make a meteoric impact wherever he goes.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Really not sure why anyone thinks Messi is a gamble at 33.. and this is a player who was never about power, abused speed at his youth, and remains incredibly productive with world-leading technique + vision. Technique is the last to go, and he'll have it in spades. Vision never goes.

We talk about Scholes retiring at 36, Giggs retiring at 40.. and somehow Messi is over the hill at 33.

This.

Josep Dowling

I think people are worried about Messi because of our experience with signing older players. United can not afford the drama involved with him and his ridiculous salary demands. The problem is we have to accept him going City which is painful in itself (if he does leave). The GOAT playing for a club where Shaun Goater and Paul Dickov remain club legends.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I for one agree with him. Spend all that money on a durable player not Messi. Still hope City will buy him. Hell we could fund the refurb of Old Trafford with the Messi money.
with the 5 year £630m wage contract, we could build a new stadium!

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Because he is not a team player. That whole barca team is based around him and it needs to be because their current crop of players are shocking for how much their wage bill is. His lethargic and slow play in the last 12 months will not help him in the premier league and it was shown up in europe. That is why he's not worth the risk.

Also, Scholes and Giggs at those ages were not the main players. They were supporting cast.

Rolaholic

Because he is not a team player. That whole barca team is based around him and it needs to be because their current crop of players are shocking for how much their wage bill is. His lethargic and slow play in the last 12 months will not help him in the premier league and it was shown up in europe. That is why he's not worth the risk.

Also, Scholes and Giggs at those ages were not the main players. They were supporting cast.
Messi won't necessarily be forced to be the main guy and put the team on his back though, they've won titles with their current core as it is. They've got enough talent around him to carry their own weight.

The not being a team player stuff is crazy to hear when he's coming off a season where he broke the league record for assists :lol: :lol:

He's been the best playmaker in the world for over a decade. He's also won most of his European titles when he wasn't the unquestioned leader and the gameplan wasn't centered around him so he can definitely have success as a contributor as well.

He has at least 2-3 seasons as a top 5 player in the world and a further couple of years as a quality supporting player if he chooses in my opinion

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Messi won't necessarily be forced to be the main guy and put the team on his back though, they've won titles with their current core as it is. They've got enough talent around him to carry their own weight.

The not being a team player stuff is crazy to hear when he's coming off a season where he broke the league record for assists :lol: :lol:

He's been the best playmaker in the world for over a decade. He's also won most of his European titles when he wasn't the unquestioned leader and the gameplan wasn't centered around him so he can definitely have success as a contributor as well.

He has at least 2-3 seasons as a top 5 player in the world and a further couple of years as a quality supporting player if he chooses in my opinion
Yeah. Frightening to think that KdB, Sterling, Mahrez and Aguero will get even better with Messi next to them. Foden will be learning from the grandmaster himself.

Once they work out how they play together, they will humiliate many many teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.