Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posh Red

If anyone likes football they would never dislike Messi. I have all the respect for him as a player and very few would question him being one of the greatest of his generation, possibly ever to grace a football pitch. This is a debate about his behaviour beyond football. At least that's my stand.
Absolutely fair mate. I was more referring to the less reasoned posts I’ve seen

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
But this President told him verbally he could leave, and he's miffed. Barto's got previous to lying/committing fraud but Messi is lying?
Its' Messi's word against Bartomeu. Why should I have to believe either or one? I'm sure no member on here was present during their conversations to be sure of what was said behind the scenes. I need to see this on a piece of paper signed by both parties and not go with my heart.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He may very well be telling the truth about that. But that’s not what is in his contract. If it was, he wouldn’t be there anymore.
I think this all boils down to who to believe. Messi or Bartomeu? Messis version is even if he was under contract he had an agreement with Bartomeu that he could leave at the end of the season if he wanted and when push came to shove Bartomeu backtracked. Personally I don't think even with Messis standing in football he could possible think he could just walk out on a contract if he wasn't given assurances in the first place.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Read the contract have you? :lol:

The clause in his contract ended on June 10 by all accounts. Do you know how dates and calendars work, or are they fake news as well?
You're embarassing yourself. Just admit and go on with it.

clarkydaz

Its' Messi's word against Bartomeu. Why should I have to believe either or one? I'm sure no member on here was present during their conversations to be sure of what was said behind the scenes. I need to see this on a piece of paper signed by both parties and not go with my heart.
He literally admitted and explained it on Barca TV :lol:

"Messi has a contract that we signed two years ago, a four year deal, in which in the final season, before the start of the 2020/21 season, he can leave Barcelona, to quit football or to go elsewhere," he told Barca TV.

"Other players such as Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol also had [this option] when they renewed for the last time.

"The fact is that these kind of players, including Messi, are such Cules that I doubt they will go to another club.

"They have to have the freedom, because they have earned it, to decide their future and when they want to stop playing football.

state of some of you

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
for Barca standards they’ve know had 3 straight seasons in CL with some of the most humiliating losses inn European history. The issue isn’t just losing. It’s like Messi said himself, it’s about being competitive. And it’s always a one man show where Barca has multiple CL seasons where Own Goal was the second leading scorer. He’s absolutely right.
An unremarkable Barca is still leagues ahead of 99.9% of all the other teams. He's guaranteed to be challenging for domestic honours every season, irrespective of what's happening at board level. Where's he going for a better shot at the Champions League? It won't be Bayern or Liverpool, the outstanding European sides of the last 2 seasons. That leaves the other clubs in the same group as the one he's leaving.

There are parallels with the Rooney situation a few years ago. He was talking about United lacking ambition while we were still a force and even though some fans agreed with his stance, a lot never really forgave him. I expect the same will now happen with Messi.

Last edited:

Suedesi

You don't have to believe either, but on the balance of probabilities, one is slippery politician embroiled in fraud and corruption, the other is an aspy player who seems to communicate in monosyllables

Wilt

Keeping a player against his will and having to pay him shit loads of £££££’s in the process....

Wouldn’t be surprised if Barca had a change of mind.

Last edited:

Sultan

"Messi has a contract that we signed two years ago, a four year deal, in which in the final season, before the start of the 2020/21 season, he can leave Barcelona, to quit football or to go elsewhere," he told Barca TV.

"Other players such as Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol also had [this option] when they renewed for the last time.

"The fact is that these kind of players, including Messi, are such Cules that I doubt they will go to another club.

"They have to have the freedom, because they have earned it, to decide their future and when they want to stop playing football.

state of some of you
If he has said that, and I'm sure there will be a link somewhere, then I would have no issues accepting Messi' version and call out Bartomeu for his lying.

clarkydaz

If he has said that, and I'm sure there will be a link somewhere, then I would have no issues accepting Messi' version and call out Bartomeu for his lying.
You can all give Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol a good kicking aswell for having exactly the same clause

Sultan

You don't have to believe either, but on the balance of probabilities, one is slippery politician embroiled in fraud and corruption, the other is an aspy player who seems to communicate in monosyllables
Bro, you're one intelligent dude. You are well aware the world doesn't work this way. I understand Bartomeu could well be corrupt and Messi is well aware of the president's character. Basically, Messi should have had something in writing than go with a verbal promise with such slippery people.

Eddy_JukeZ

state of some of you
Not to defend Barto, but I don't think he anticipated Messi would want to leave on a free to join another European team.

Definitely almost backfired and I think they'll think twice before agreeing to these clauses for future players.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

state of some of you
Of course Messi can leave. Bartemou has never said otherwise. Whether it's for free or not, that's a different case.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Bro, you're one intelligent dude. You are well aware the world doesn't work this way. I understand Bartomeu could well be corrupt and Messi is well aware of the president's character. Basically, Messi should have had something in writing than go with a verbal promise with such slippery people.
Yeh. Even more stupid if you believe a "gentleman" agreement with a proven crook that involves hundreds of million $$.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
that 1986 squad was good and not just maradonna. Club football is played at a higher level than ever before these past 15-20 years. Maradonna’s longevity wasn’t nearly as strong as Messi’s. He was obviously an all time great, but Messi has far more records than maradonna and his Argentina squad was way more flawed. Without Messi Argentina wouldn’t even qualify for the WC. Argentina didn’t even need maradonna back when they won it 78. It was a good generation.
Without Maradona, Napoli wouldn't have won the Serie A and Argentina wouldn't have won the WC. You know, that beautiful cup that Messi will most probably never lift.

Messi a bottler? Some United fans are really butthurt after 2008 and 2011 I guess.
We would have lost against Barcelona in 2008 and 2011 with or without Messi. They were that good.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
This would never stand up in court.

Messi: He promised me this, your honour.

Bartomeu: I cannot ever recall promising he could move for free.

Case dismissed.

PS: Why would a president allow/promise a player of Messi's calibre to go on a free and lose the club 100's of millions? I don't even think the decision would be Bartomeu to make alone (a gentleman's agreement). Surely the club directors would have to be informed of such an agreement.
I agree that it would never stand up in court but I don't think it's pushing the limits of imagination to think a president of a football club (and its directors) would bend over backwards to keep one of the best players ever to play the game as happy as they could by whispering sweet nothings in his ear. I'm sure it isn't the first time it's happened in sport just like I'm sure it won't be the last.

As you've said yourself no one here knows what actually happened but what sways me on the side of Messi is even though he's a football god I just can't see anyway he could think he could just walk out on a contract if he didn't have prior assurances. For me it just wouldn't make any sense.

acnumber9

If you're referring to the tax law which every other major player has been found guilty of, yes you got a point.
Tax fraud that was he found guilty of. As opposed to this alleged fraud that Bartomeu was not found guilty of.

Suedesi

Tax fraud that was he found guilty of. As opposed to this alleged fraud that Bartomeu was not found guilty of.
Alleged fraud? You mean the Neymar transfer engineered by Rosell + Bartomeu where the club admitted responsibility for a crime? Hmmm

acnumber9

You mean the Neymar transfer engineered by Rosell + Bartomeu where the club admitted responsibility for a crime, but the individuals involved escaped without punishment?
Yes. I’m talking about somebody who has not been convicted of fraud and somebody who has. But it’s ok for a multi millionaire to engage in tax avoidance because everyone does it.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
https://www.ondacero.es/programas/t...barcatv_202008305f4c20648346160001d0dbe0.html

Sorry it's in Spanish but it's the only link I could find.

Basically it says (Bartomeus own words) that Messi signed a 4 year contract in 2017 and if Messi chooses he could rip up his contract before the 20/21 season starts and go wherever he wants. The interview was in September of last year.

RUCK4444

yes, when Xavi and puyol won’t go near this board you know Messi is right. The team is at their lowest because of the mismanagement of this board. And that team that no one knew existed ten years ago has been destroying the epl in recent years. Even if I don’t care for them personally
Ok so not only is he a rat abandoning a sinking ship he’s a glory hunter as well.

I get it, he’s one of the best ever but it’s not like he’s played in a shit team until now, as soon as the going gets tough eh.

Sultan

Suedesi

Yes. I’m talking about somebody who has not been convicted of fraud and somebody who has. But it’s ok for a multi millionaire to engage in tax avoidance because everyone does it.
I hope you show the same moral fortitude when it comes to Slabhead remaining captain of Man Utd.

Sultan

If you open it in Chrome it should give you the option to see it in English
Cheers!

I have read the link. He does say he can leave. However, there is nothing in that link to suggest he can leave on a free transfer. I am sure Barca will be too pleased to sell if they get a fee they are well entitled to demand.

acnumber9

I hope you show the same moral fortitude when it comes to Slabhead remaining captain of Man Utd.
I’d never have made him captain to begin with. I think tax avoidance hurts more people than a drunken punch up with some Policemen though. Thanks for the update on your morals.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Cheers!

I have read the link. He does say he can leave. However, there is nothing in that link to suggest he can leave on a free transfer. I am sure Barca will be too pleased to sell if they get a fee they are well entitled to demand.
Bartomeu said if Messi wanted to leave or even stop playing football it would be his own personal choice. Nothing about being sold. Messi made it clear he wanted to leave and even if it wasn't on a free he should of been put on the transfer list so whatever way it's being spun Bartomeu is still a lying sack of shit.

manunited1919

Wasn’t Messi found guilty and convicted of tax fraud by a court of law? It’s best for him to stay away from another legal mess.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Another nothing reply from you. Must be hard having no argument. Toodles.
Man, Messi's father/agent shared the phrasingnof the clause and it reads "after the season". There's no date, it just says "ater the season". June 10 is defined in another part of the contract.

If you don't accept that as an argument, there's nothing I can do. However you put it, currently it's not clear how a court would decide so you talked nonsense.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Cheers!

That isn't true. Bartomeu claimed the only thing he's willing to negiate over is a contract extension for another two seasons. If he wants to go, then a club has to pay 700m.

Revan

Assumptionman
Barca should have negotiated his sale with City. Get 100m for him, while also saving 50-70m from his salary. That is a lot of money and could have helped them to go for a full rebuild. Messi - as good as he is - is not getting younger and Barca needs massive investments to go back to what they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.