Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Martinez continues to prove doubters wrong as Man United’s key player
by Ciaran McLoughlin at Wednesday, Jan 25 2023 09:20

After taking the lead early on and salvaging an equaliser against a very strong Arsenal team, Manchester United would have been gutted to come away from the Emirates on Sunday empty handed.

There has been a lot of positivity surrounding Erik ten Hag’s side this season, especially in recent weeks, where prior to the draw with Crystal Palace and the loss to Arsenal, they had won their previous nine competitive games, including a Carabao Cup quarter-final. That run of form meant that they were technically the only English side still fighting on four fronts.

While much of the recent praise has gone to Marcus Rashford, having scored five goals in the Premier League, which only Erling Haaland (7) can better since the World Cup, one of the players assigned to preventing goals from going against United deserves adulation, that being Lisandro Martinez.

When Martinez arrived in the summer, the signing was met with a lot of criticism, much of which came about before he had even touched a ball in the Premier League, namely, to do with his height and if he could cope with the physicality of the division. At 5ft 9in, it was understandable why many would questioned his ability to deal with some of the league’s top strikers such as Haaland, Ivan Toney and Aleksandar Mitrovic, to name three. All aren't afraid to throw their weight around, but Martinez has stood up to the challenge and has delivered as one of his team’s most important players.

The Red Devils have the fifth best defensive record in the league this season, having only conceded 25 goals in their 20 games so far and much of that has come from the true grit and determination of the player nicknamed ‘The Butcher’.

Now, while his aerial duel success (59%) has dropped when compared to last season for Ajax in the Eredivisie (70.5%), alluding to those early fears about the Argentine, his overall defensive game has been very good in comparison.

He boasts a tackle success rate of 86.1%, which among the 151 Premier League players to attempt 25 or more tackles, ranks 20th. But tackling isn’t something that Martinez frequently attempts, averaging only 1.7 tackles per game, with his overall reading of the game something that shines through more and plays a pivotal role in preventing shots at his team’s goal. United, after all, are conceding 12.2 shots per game on average, the ninth lowest in the league.

In terms of winning possession, he is doing so in the defensive third every 22.8 minutes, which ranks highly among those players to play 1000+ minutes. This is even more notable when you consider United’s average possession is the sixth highest in the league (51.8%), so they have more of the ball in the opposition half. When needs must, Martinez is quick to spring into action to deny attackers.

But what really stands out is the way he interprets play to cut out potential threats before they can materalise, emphaised by the fact he has only been dribbled past five times in 1389 minutes of league action this season.

While that figure is impressive in its own right, what is also positive about his play is he is averaging 1.3 interceptions per game, the 28th highest in the league. Seven of his 24 overall have come inside the penalty area, which no player in the league can better this season, including three against Arsenal on Sunday. This shows the sheer determination of a player who is desperate to defend his side’s goal in any given situation, backed by his willingness to chase onto loose balls as well, making 98 ball recoveries, which is level with Arsenal's Gabriel, one of the more seasoned Premier League pros by comparison to Martinez.

This again is underlined by the 17 shots he has blocked this season, the fifth highest, conveying his desire to close down the opposition and his overall work rate to make that happen, with 3.8 clearances a game a sign that he is a proactive player who likes to quickly deal with any potential threats. What’s most interesting about his 69 clearances is that 55.1% have been headed clearances, which does to some extent disprove that his height would be some sort of disadvantage to his gameplay, as he is effectively using his timing of the jump to deal with opposing team’s threat.

Though he has only really been deployed in the centre of defence during his short time in England, he is a player who can play in multiple positions including left-back and defensive midfield, which may explain why Arsenal were interested in the former Ajax man before they completed a deal for Oleksandr Zinchenko. This of course makes him a greater asset to Ten Hag, principally because these are areas of the pitch that are so key for a team to break up attacks, whether to stop wingers from causing a threat as a left-back, or, as a defensive midfielder, to stop an attack in its tracks before David De Gea is forced into action.

Despite defeat on Sunday, he did manage to score his first goal for the club, in which he celebrated enthusiastically in front of the travelling supporters, as the goal highlighted how he also poses a threat from set-pieces.

While many questioned Martinez to begin with, those questions have been answered, with the World Cup winner quietly going about his business to keep United’s backline solid, maintaining their chances of bringing silverware back to Old Trafford for the first time since 2017.
Source:
https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/...ove-doubters-wrong-as-Man-United’s-key-player

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Remember when some people argued that Maguire is one of best ball playing CBs in the world even though it was clear he was too slow with the ball and hardly played it smart even if he knew how to keep it under pressure? I wonder what they think about Martinez's on ball abilities.

It's difficult to believe we bought a defender who's instantly settled in and become one of the best in the world in such a short period.

Real Name

I just love seeing him play. He oozes class and calmness. Weather its just passing, organizing our plays or defensive work.

The best thing about him is his confidence. He always thinks he can make the pass or win the challenge. Makes him such an effective player and one unlikely to drop off in form too much.

Jeffthered

Best Centre Half / Defender in the country at the moment. A proper footballer, and a real ball player. He has helped transform our team. Brilliant signing, very astute because (finally) we have a manager that looks at a player and can see what he will do, and add to our team (rather than just having a name, a reputation, some mega hype etc...).

Hughes35

Just class. Proper old school warrior with the ability to play modern football and play out from the back.

Can see him going down as a club legend. Especially if we continue getting our act together and get back to some success.

AndySmith1990

Our best signing of the last decade for me. Oozes class and has all the attributes of a proper United player of old. Mentality he's a warrior and he has the ability to go with it

Sylar

Having a headband and still throwing himself at the ball despite the chance of being kicked

He's going to end up with that Steve Bruce nose when he leaves

EtH

If he weren’t scary enough already the headband makes him look like he will literally kick you in half.

Ekeke

I think he's the epitome of why I have an interest in Argentine football. The combination of the technical skills of South American players like in Brazil yes, but also the tenacity and grit not to be outfought, outworked and outmuscled unlike a lot of flair players.

We see it in lots of their attacking players over the years the likes of Tevez, Aguero, even Messi to some extent when on the ball and getting kicked all the time and fouled and he gets on with it and does it again etc and Lisandro is the modern ball playing defender version with those same qualities. Essentially players who dont rest on the laurels of their "talent" and allow inferior opponents to best them in work ethic, effort and determination. They have both so you know they'll come out fighting for your team.

Telsim

He is one of the players in this squad I wouldn't hesitate to call world class. He is just insane. Fearless player.

romufc

What a player. You can have bigger CB's in there but this lad is showing size doesn't matter when you love defending.

We are used to Maguire and Lindelof who didn't enjoy defending, Licha wants to go into a challenge, he wants to win the ball back but he realises sometimes you cant and stays on his feet.

He is just brilliant.

JeffFromHK

Remember when some people argued that Maguire is one of best ball playing CBs in the world even though it was clear he was too slow with the ball and hardly played it smart even if he knew how to keep it under pressure? I wonder what they think about Martinez's on ball abilities.

It's difficult to believe we bought a defender who's instantly settled in and become one of the best in the world in such a short period.
That claim puzzles me as well. From what I saw in the past 4 years, all Maguire can do is making diagonal long passes to the wingers, that's it. He can't play one touch football (and always need 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th touch before releasing the ball) and rarely make good through balls vertically forward.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Has the aggression and full-blooded defending of a Vidic, with the class on the ball of a Ferdinand. Miles to go to reach their levels but easily my favourite defender we've had at the club since those 2 left. Unbelievable player.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s the player Van Gaal would have signed if he had good scouts.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

I rember Luckhurst arguing that Maguire would bench either Varan or Martinez. Luckhurst wasnt able to compute that Maguire was the one sitting on the bench

Lights Out

Absolutely love him. I just hope we help get him the silverware a player of his class deserves.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I rember Luckhurst arguing that Maguire would bench either Varan or Martinez. Luckhurst wasnt able to compute that Maguire was the one sitting on the bench
I think to be fair, what most people struggled to compute, was that ETH would bin the 80 million quid signing and captain.
It's a tough task that required a lot of team politics understanding, i.e. great management. Thank God we have that in ETH. He prepped Bruno for the captaincy role throughout preseason with the video blogs and media appearances, all before the season started. Once it did, he let Mcguire play himself out of the team with those results against Brighton and Brentford. ETH is probably lucky that the results were so spectacularly bad, it looked like drastic changes were needed. When he made those changes, he was proven right and we've never looked back since.

Have to say, fair play to Mcguire for handling this as a team player, instead of doing what Ronaldo did and try to blow up the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he's the epitome of why I have an interest in Argentine football. The combination of the technical skills of South American players like in Brazil yes, but also the tenacity and grit not to be outfought, outworked and outmuscled unlike a lot of flair players.

We see it in lots of their attacking players over the years the likes of Tevez, Aguero, even Messi to some extent when on the ball and getting kicked all the time and fouled and he gets on with it and does it again etc and Lisandro is the modern ball playing defender version with those same qualities. Essentially players who dont rest on the laurels of their "talent" and allow inferior opponents to best them in work ethic, effort and determination. They have both so you know they'll come out fighting for your team.
Yep. Julian Alvarez and Enzo too. You look at all the young strikers around the world right now.... So few of them are rounded like Alvarez where he is a hard worker, aggressive, but talented on the ball as well with good striker instincts. Most are poachers relying on physical attributes but with mediocre technique, or too far the other direction on being false 9's with too little goal threat.

Hughie77

He brings a calmness in possession, and he's better with Casimero in the side, what he does is hold the ball waits for the press then either makes a good pass or goes past the pressing player and then passes it.
Casimero will drop as soon as any of the CB goes forward.
On Sunday v gooners no Casimero , Martinez didn't get that protection and his passing out from the back wasn't as effective as it was say v Forest.
I love thus guy his passion on the pitch he comes off after 90mins and you know he's performed . ETH new what he was getting.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why do you wonder about that?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Love the comments on here. I really don’t feel like he’s getting anything like the recognition that Saliba is or players like Stones or Ruben Dias, Laporte, VVD etc.

romufc

Love the comments on here. I really don’t feel like he’s getting anything like the recognition that Saliba is or players like Stones or Ruben Dias, Laporte, VVD etc.
He plays for Manutd, he is not going to get that. Especially when so many pundits have written him of at the start of the season.

We have to win something for a United player to be get that kind of recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.