Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
As a slow rec level CB, I think Silva being old is probably contributing slightly to Chelsea's poor attacking play more than people at our level of football analysis can understand, even if he frequently appears to be their most creative passer from deep and breaks up a 2 on 1 or saves a ball on the goal line seemingly every 2nd game.
Username checks out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wouldn't swap him for any CB in the league and Europe, he is such a brilliant CB and footballer.

December_16

Been absolutely brilliant and by far my fav player this season.

I owe him a big apology for calling him a useless garden gnome and an argentinian leprechaun after the Brentford game. More like the argentinan dragon!
Fair play to you to own up to your premature judgment.

But more importantly, you’re one funny fecker :lol: “useless garden gnome and an argentinian leprechaun” :lol:

Longlivekeano

One Tough short motherfecker and cnut. Originally Thought varane will need to bail him out. Today looks like the other way around, had to save our ass several times.

JeffFromHK

Love his one touch volley passes which helps us to get around opponents' presses, not many defenders can do that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ajax fans told us we’d love him.

Also, might just be my type of defender, but I can’t believe we’ve had gormless defenders for a decade. I can’t go back seeing that shite again

arnoldS

Surely a centender for play of the season if he keeps his form going. Unreal player with an even better attitude. An absolute steal too.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Surely a centender for play of the season if he keeps his form going. Unreal player with an even better attitude. An absolute steal too.
To think we picked him up for 7 million euro in Argentina from Defensa y Justicia.

izec

To think we picked him up for 7 million euro in Argentina from Defensa y Justicia.
It is a good time to hunt for bargains in Argentina currently. Enzo and Alvarez were relatively cheap as well. MacAllister too. Brighton bought Buonanotte for cheap recently, City Perrone as well. I wish we would look more into it.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
It is a good time to hunt for bargains in Argentina currently.
Tagliafico for 4 million was also wonderful for us. Didn't sell him with a lot of profit but he was instrumental in 18/19 and a huge fan favorite.

Reactions: Invictus

Rossa

He's pretty much a complete defender at this point. He's pretty strong in the air, winning more duels than he has any right to. He's brilliant at intercepting play, whilst being in control. He's great at defending inside his own box, a strength due to his agility that most larger CBs lack. His very quick on the first strides, but he's also got pretty good top speed. His ball playing abilities and technique are also first rate.

Brilliant player!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Been absolutely brilliant and by far my fav player this season.

I owe him a big apology for calling him a useless garden gnome and an argentinian leprechaun after the Brentford game. More like the argentinan dragon!
That's way too kind . A bit rich to blame a defender who wasn't even the reason why we lost 4 -0.

While I appreciate your honesty, that was the dumpest thing to do.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
feck it, he's the best in the league, I said it.

Rolaholic

Really watched him win a header against Mateta straight up yesterday :lol: , he's incredible

mav_9me

Love him. Never thought I'd see a defender who'd defend like him and yet be able to pass like him. That's a rare combination if ever seen.

Idxomer

Really watched him win a header against Mateta straight up yesterday :lol: , he's incredible
You can have a compilation this season of him winning 10 to 15 headers against guys who are at least 15cm taller than him.

SATA

I can see him spending his best years here. Very apparent that he genuinely loves playing for the club and our supporters

Chief123

World class. From Maguire + Lindelof to world class pairing of Varane and Martinez in a year time, still feels like a dream.
Yeah it’s a pretty incredible upgrade from Lindelof, Maguire and McTominay providing the protection to Varane, Martinez and Casemiro. Went from utter mediocre to world class.

Chief123

I’ve run out of superlatives for him, I honestly don’t think there’s a weakness in his game. I mean there should be because of his height, but he’s an absolute monster in the air. It’s ridiculous. He’s one of those rare defenders that is just a joy to watch. I really don’t think it’s hyperbolic to call him world class. There’s not a player I’d take over him. I reckon you could put him in midfield & he’d run the show. He’s just that good.
Half a season in and I still can not understand how he is so good in the air. It just doesn’t make sense. He just always seems to win every header but does it with hardly being challenged. I can’t remember a single moment this season where he’s struggled in an aerial duel. He either wins the header or makes it very difficult for the opponent to win it. He’s mastered the art.

Chief123

You wouldn't be surprised to see him in the team of the season at this rate as I think even oppo fans are recognizing he's a great player. Him, Rashford and Casemiro look the clear candidates for our POTY award too. Been a fantastic signing :D
I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make team of the season. In fact, a criminal investigation would need to be opened up if he didn’t.

King Kendrick

Funny how he mentions Liverpool as perhaps one of only two sides who may feel as if they are above altering their approach in order to exploit Martinez's lack of height.
Looking back from where we are now, it’s clear they were targeting him, but the main issue was DDG’s sweeping, or lack thereof. It’s no coincidence when we dropped the line deeper all of a sudden we stopped conceding.

Remember the geese

Looking back from where we are now, it’s clear they were targeting him, but the main issue was DDG’s sweeping, or lack thereof. It’s no coincidence when we dropped the line deeper all of a sudden we stopped conceding.
Yeah ten Hag has had to compromise on what he really wants. Hopefully next season it won't be an issue.

criticalanalysis

Half a season in and I still can not understand how he is so good in the air. It just doesn’t make sense. He just always seems to win every header but does it with hardly being challenged. I can’t remember a single moment this season where he’s struggled in an aerial duel. He either wins the header or makes it very difficult for the opponent to win it. He’s mastered the art.
For standing aerials, if you watch closely, he gets very touch tight and wins positions/nudges them ever so slightly so that their momentum and jump is off. Martinez's timing is then perfect to either win the header or make it extremely hard for them to win it cleanly/direct it properly. As for crosses and moving balls, it's the same but even more heightened reading of the flow and movement. It's an actual art and I love seeing it happen every time.

OmarUnited4ever

For standing aerials, if you watch closely, he gets very touch tight and wins positions/nudges them ever so slightly so that their momentum and jump is off. Martinez's timing is then perfect to either win the header or make it extremely hard for them to win it cleanly/direct it properly. As for crosses and moving balls, it's the same but even more heightened reading of the flow and movement. It's an actual art and I love seeing it happen every time.
Apt description that bolded part, and if you are a striker, you don't beat Martinez in the box simply because you are taller than him, you beat Martinez as if you'd beat any other defender like VDV or Diaz, as a striker you'd have to read the game better, anticipate better, position yourself better and time your movement better, it's a battle and so far Martinez has shown he's capable of winning those battles and quite easily so.

Chief123

Respect to Ian Wright, he’s the first pundit I’ve seen give Martinez some genuine praise on MOTD last night. He went out of his way at the end of the analysis to say “That defender man, Martinez at the back…he’s something man!” :drool::drool:

Edwards6

I remember Gary Neville used to be great at this when defending crosses to the back post. love the way Martinez defends, his positioning and reading of the game is world class

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

What a player. I love seeing a CB at United who has that blend of composure and aggression when needed.

Something that I think has gone under the radar is the way he responded to getting elbowed in the face at Selhurst Park. It would be understandable if he asked to be substituted, or even took a couple of weeks off to recover from such a painful physical blow, but instead he's immediately bandaged up and is determined to play the rest of the game. A few days later vs Arsenal he puts his head in the firing line and scores a brave header to score an equaliser. Personally, that is my favourite goal so far this season because of his sheer determination to put his head where it hurts to help his team.

I can see why at Ajax he was called the butcher of Amsterdam. He's a leader on the pitch and he's also exceptional on the ball. Such a shame he's only 5ft9 though, ey?! (I'm not sure if any of you know about his height... it might not have already been mentioned by the so-called pundits on tv).

Reactions: Invictus
Man Utd 2:2 Leeds United

Ekeke

I can see why others picked Sancho as man of the match, because he did really well and got the saving goal when he came on. However Varane and Dalot had lots of problems and Lisandro was left to hold the defence together almost alone at times. Had to make a lot of good interventions or the game would have completely got away from us

A-man

Some great last second tackles but he didn’t exactly looked harmonious tonight. Kicked a man in his face, reckless tackle as last man on the border to the box etc. Also not at his best for the first goal even though I wouldn’t blame him for it. Better in second half.

Blood Mage

His worst game for us in a while but still pretty good. You know a player is world class when they have a high bottom level.

Status
Not open for further replies.