Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I understand the idea behind putting Maguire on but I have to say, I'd rather keep Licha on for the entire game. Who cares about potential aerial bombardment.
Just outstanding.

next_number_seven

At least we know how quick he is by the way he caught up with Waldcott, although I'm guessing he's not as quick as he used to be

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The little fecker needs to teach every other player in this side how to retain the ball under pressure. And how to fecking make short accurate passes too

RoyKeaneReborn

My MOTM. Fecking class. Great turns, great composure, great forward passing, great decision-making. Puts in a shift as always when the chips are down.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Only saw the second half, he was excellent. Best defender and best passer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I understand the idea behind putting Maguire on but I have to say, I'd rather keep Licha on for the entire game. Who cares about potential aerial bombardment.
Just outstanding.
With Ward Prowse firing all those quality balls in, Maguire on late on was genius.

He cleared a couple of balls straight after no-one else would have done.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At least we know how quick he is by the way he caught up with Waldcott, although I'm guessing he's not as quick as he used to be
Walcott at his peak was borderline 100m sprinter pace, and even 10 years later he's still quicker than most. So it was an impressive recovery run to keep up,

His best work is on the ball though, great passing, great under pressure. Needs to be at times with some of De Gea's passing!

justboy68

Absolutely flawless again. It's mental how regularly he has faultless performances. Also he is the best passer in the squad somehow. His passing, whatever the distance, is majestic.

Red00012

The only player who can pass consistently without giving the fecking away carelessly

Malone_Post

His composure and technical ability really are ridiculous. So many situations where most would have panicked he just calmly steps across and takes the ball off the attack, does a little turn and plays a brilliant pass to a teammate. He’s in a class of his own.

next_number_seven

Walcott at his peak was borderline 100m sprinter pace, and even 10 years later he's still quicker than most. So it was an impressive recovery run to keep up,

His best work is on the ball though, great passing, great under pressure. Needs to be at times with some of De Gea's passing!
He's really more of a winger or full back with his agility, balance and technical ability

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Amidst all the chaos he’s still amazing on the ball. Can we sign two more of him - for our midfield?

wangyu

Calm, composed, good incisive passing, knows when to dribble and hard defending when needed. Best player of our season.

Norris

Incredible today, in defense (Except that missed header aside) and with the ball. So damn calm.

El Jefe

Need to get more players like him. He sticks out by far as the player most comfortable on the ball. Its only him and Shaw that I feel confident in that they won't lose it in tight situations.

SuperiorXI

He is probably the most composed defender we've seen in a very long time. He does things sometimes and he has no right to keep the ball yet he comes away with it.

Semigoodlookin

He is one of the most press-resistent CBs currently playing. And next to a rolls royce like Varane, it really is a great partnership. However, I think it is the full backs that are letting the team down at the moment. Since the Shaw CB experimenet - where he was great - he has not been the same at LB. Sloppy and lazy. On the other side, Dalot has not been the same since his injury and AWB always has a mistake in him. Neither RB is good enough long term. The fullbacks are doing average in defense and offering little going forward... or not enough to pin teams in. I think AWB and Antony are doing a better job at pressuring teams with the press than Rashford and Shaw are on the left.

jesperjaap

That was at the end of Maguire's second season, which is actually the only period he's had here where he was playing very well. He basically spent his first 18 months being very inconsistent, then 6 months of actually great form, 12 months of extremely bad, then this season where he's been inconsistent again at best but hasn't played that much. Martinez has already been far more consistent than Maguire has ever been.

Same with Bailly, who never put more than a couple of good months together before either getting injured or starting to look incredibly shaky with his decision making.

There is some overrating of Martinez in here (he still needs to do it for longer), but I'd say comparing him to Maguire, Lindelof or Bailly is underrating him to an even larger extent.
I dont disagree, not comparing him to any of them as Lindelof as always been poor in my opinion before he came here and never progressed to bang average even, Maguire I never bought into with other potential options at the time, Bailly I like....Marinez definately looks on another level to all of them, anybody can see that. It's just, it has been only seven months and many, myself included knew little of him before he came, too early to laud him too highly even though as I said myself, I think he coul dbe the best signing we have made post Ferguson....we are basically saying the same thing

Sylar

Keeping in mind his really early yellow card, that was even more impressive. Really good on the ball and such a fighter

AneRu

With Casemiro red carded AGAIN I think he gets into top 2 most important players this season.
I think now is the time for a Licha return to DM and Shaw back to CB until Case returns. Pair him with Sabitzer and we could go through these games unscathed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
His ability to get out of tight spaces and make the right decision is unmatched.

criticalanalysis

I know stats are not everything,but it is not irrelevant either and have always been used in this forum as a measure of aerial capacity.
Martinez has among the worst aerial stats in the league. I think it is fair to say he is below average in the air.

Anyways, it would be very interesting to hear what weaknesses you believe Martinez has. It sounds as you think he is 100% complete bit maybe you can dig deep and find something.

I will try to come back with ratings later, don’t have the time right now.
I've said many times I will call it as I see it with all players. Unfortunately for Martinez's detractors, he's regularly come up with mostly above average to extremely good performances with the medium thus far this season being 'really good'. I probably come across as bias to you because I've rated Lindelof's performances in the past as mostly below average to above average, with the medium being 'as average as it gets'; in the wider context, with him being in the team after so much experience/years, playing so many games and yet not really improving, it means I rate him as 'poor', period. There's probably no correlation there at all I'm sure.

If you read my post, aerial stat as to 'getting to the ball first' is only one of many varied aspects of aerial capacity. There are lots of other ways to measure that, which you simply have to use your eye to see as there isn't one available such as 'direction of the header' or 'momentum lost or gained' from the situation. It's like saying a player is a better passer of the ball because they have a higher completion rate; it can mean something but only one very specific aspect. It's disingenuous to use one stat to summarise one entire area of a player's attribute. I put my money where my mouth is and gave him a numerical score. For example, Lindelof may 'win' more headers, which simply means he gets to the ball first but he is 100% below Martinez for me when it comes to aerial capacity/effectiveness on the pitch when playing for Man Utd.

As for weaknesses, not sure why there's a sarcastic remark, I already said there wasn't a lot I disagreed with your post, even if some parts are harsh for me i.e aerial and positioning, where I think he is very good. He's not perfect. He doesn't have raw pace, can find himself getting caught up too high and yes he was a bit iffy when covering runs earlier in the season but has learned/improved a lot on that end with today's game being another example. Other than that, I find most of his 'issues' negligible e.g for someone 'below average' in the air, he is rarely if ever dominated in it and doesn't concede cheap headers or position because of it. Getting to a header can be as important as dictating where or how the ball ends up. It'll be interesting to see where Martinez's 'lost' headers are because I highly suspect it's in open play towards the middle of the pitch, where he usually never lets the opposition win it cleanly or do anything with it (noted he did misjudge one in the 1st half today).

My template isn't so much about how we rate Martinez, it's for you and @TMDaines to rate him against Lindelof/Maguire. If your standards and criticism are consistent then it should show in your rating of those players.

Dannn411

I think now is the time for a Licha return to DM and Shaw back to CB until Case returns. Pair him with Sabitzer and we could go through these games unscathed.
This is what we should have done the first time Casemiro got suspended and I agree with you that this is what has to be done going forward but I doubt Ten Hag will do it. He's still too naive.

macheda14

This is what we should have done the first time Casemiro got suspended and I agree with you that this is what has to be done going forward but I doubt Ten Hag will do it. He's still too naive.
I mean he played him a few times as a DM in the Netherlands and didn’t think he was good there. So it’s not naïvety

SungSam7

Between his dribbling ability to bring the ball forward a lot when we are pressing up to the half way line, his ability to pick out the pass not many center backs would see and his high IQ, how did we manage to grab a player for so little.

He's leagues above any center back we've had in the past 10 years (bar Varane!)

I'd say he could fill in at CDM for 3 games with no issues, no harm in try to be honest. What have we to lose, its either that or Fred will do his usual while casemiro is out, run around with no plan.

Conor

I just don't see it with him. I mean what is he good at, aside from passing, tackling, heading, blocking, dribbling, and leading? We need to start playing Lindelof.

Status
Not open for further replies.