Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

Probably our player of the season, but I don't think he has been as good after the world cup as he was before it, and that it totally understandable.

Ah, previous post makes the same point.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
People saying his achilles on Twitter? I might actually cry.

Delano

Gutting. An absolute vital player and that injury looks like a sickener

Infra-red

People saying his achilles on Twitter? I might actually cry.
Certainly looked that way, which means no more football for him until next season. He's made a real impact this season and been among our best players, so it's a real blow.

Roboc7

Gutted, have to assume that is his season over and he will be a huge loss.

Darlington Padgett

If its an achilles injury, we won't be seeing him until the end of next season probably. Now we need to add a CB to the list of priorities.

NickJ

Would be amazed if it’s not an Achilles rupture or tear. People who have had this describe it as feeling as if you have been hit/kicked on it even without any contact and the way he looks back in pain and shock was exactly that. I remember Jermaine jenas doing the exact same at Aston Villa.

Hoof the ball

If it's a ruptured achilles, then yes, it's awful news.

There was research done for both the NBA and the NFL, and although 72% (NBA) and 64% (NFL) of the athletes resumed their career eventually, there was a marked regression in both physical performance and statistical output. Essentially, Martinez can return, but if it's a ruptured achilles don't expect the same Martinez. Given his height, his aggression is critical to his winning duels, so if there's a decline of any kind someone like Lisandro will be hit very hard.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7708715/
https://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

IFC 1905

If it's a ruptured achilles, then yes, it's awful news.

There was research done for both the NBA and the NFL, and although 72% (NBA) and 64% (NFL) of the athletes resumed their career eventually, there was a marked regression in both physical performance and statistical output. Essentially, Martinez can return, but if it's a ruptured achilles don't expect the same Martinez. Given his height, his aggression is critical to his winning duels, so if there's a decline of any kind someone like Lisandro will be hit very hard.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7708715/
https://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Fernando Gago I remember, in 2015 got it teared. In 2016 he had it again, same leg. In 2018 the other leg.

I hope the pósition he plays at helps him. Football doesn't have the same impact NBA and NFL have.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not sure what makes people think it's Achilles tbh. He was holding the top/side of his foot, not his Achilles. Looks likely to be that he fractured the last metatarsal to me. Still a season ender, but doesn't impact next season at least.

arthurka

I'm not sure what makes people think it's Achilles tbh. He was holding the top/side of his foot, not his Achilles. Looks likely to be that he fractured the last metatarsal to me. Still a season ender, but doesn't impact next season at least.
Because anyone who has done one knows what it looks like, it looked like one. No one around, pulling up like you were shot and no real pain but the look of desperation when it hits you.

arnie_ni

grabbed his calf here

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because anyone who has done one knows what it looks like, it looked like one. No one around, pulling up like you were shot and no real pain but the look of desperation when it hits you.
Yeah was just rewatching replays to see exactly what could have happened. No chance it was metatarsal, probably Achilles as you say. Originally I thought he rolled onto the side and held the top of his foot but he looked back at his heel and not the side. Welp. That's waiting for 24/25 for a title challenge then I guess. Shaw the centerback coming full time I guess. Maguire almost certainly will stay now too.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I think its his ankle? The ankle twisted awkwardly ever so slightly which may have been enough to cause it to fracture slightly. At no point, if i remember correctly, does he start rubbing his lower calf or massaging it or do any sort of work on it? I could be very wrong.

Infact just seen Ten Hag confirm it :)

IFC 1905

by the way he touches himself it looks like metatarsal/peroneal tendon. He goes straight to that part of the body, and his foot kind of twists itself a little before the injury

Look at where he touches himself, that part of his foot twists and I think that's what gets broken. He even looks to the side of his feet once he puts his hand on his achilles.

lex talionis

A horrible turn of events that we've likely lost Martinez through the end of the season, but good news if true that he should be back in training by July.

Status
Not open for further replies.