Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Better clip to look at.

The area is clearly targeted, and there are more sequences showing Brentford looked to get adapt favored result. It's not like they could pin point long kick to where they contested aerial directly with Martinez.

In this clip with all attempt included, it is clear Brentford doesn't always aim to win the first ball. We hardly gain comfortable possession when we get the ball with all these attempt. Compared to second half, there is a contrast.

Brentford has very basic counter pressing tactic. Get the ball up there, and press. Isolating our attackers when our other players too busy trying make the pitch big after all this bombard.
The area was tagged partly because Shaw is also shite, but no one is going to speak about that part

Adamsk7

He wasn’t bullied once. For the third goal, it was a scramble where many mistakes were made because that’s the nature of a goal line scramble and we didn’t clear the ball and De Gea didn’t come to collect or punch. For their fourth, Maguire was wildly out of position and ball watching. Martinez was the only one to read the situation and came across to close. Shaw didn’t track the runner until it was too late.
he’s not been “great” in his first two games but he’s still new to the league and in a massively disfunctional back line. If he puts in a good performance v Liverpool, this’ll go away as quickly as it started IMO. That should be his aim now - play his game and shut everyone up.

ti vu

Absolutely. We were much more comfortable on left after Malacia came.
It's combination of Varane, McTominay, Malacia. And McTonimay had handful of a donkey moment in second half. Go look at the clip on his performance thread.

romufc

He wasn’t bullied once. For the third goal, it was a scramble where many mistakes were made because that’s the nature of a goal line scramble and we didn’t clear the ball and De Gea didn’t come to collect or punch. For their fourth, Maguire was wildly out of position and ball watching. Martinez was the only one to read the situation and came across to close. Shaw didn’t track the runner until it was too late.
he’s not been “great” in his first two games but he’s still new to the league and in a massively disfunctional back line. If he puts in a good performance v Liverpool, this’ll go away as quickly as it started IMO. That should be his aim now - play his game and shut everyone up.
I am very surprised at people who think he was bullied. I dont think he did that badly, unfortunate really that he gave way at half time.

I dont agree with Carragher that he cant play CB in the PL either. The third goal can happen to any CB, I dont put that down to his height, I have seen Maguire, Lindelof lose out on those duels numerous times too.

Based Adnan

We'll never see the best of Martinez until we get a goalkeeper who looks to come off his line and claim balls to take the pressure off his defenders. You need that more than ever if your CB is on the smaller side whereas we have the opposite.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Better clip to look at.

The area is clearly targeted, and there are more sequences showing Brentford looked to get adapt favored result. It's not like they could pin point long kick to where they contested aerial directly with Martinez.

In this clip with all attempt included, it is clear Brentford doesn't always aim to win the first ball. We hardly gain comfortable possession when we get the ball with all these attempt. Compared to second half, there is a contrast.

Brentford has very basic counter pressing tactic. Get the ball up there, and press. Isolating our attackers when our other players too busy trying make the pitch big after all this bombard.
Winning second ball is very important and we are poor at it. Not surprising as most of our players lack that proactive style of play. They are reactive and late for every ball.

Tiki-Taka

Definitely not writing him off, looks to really excel when we are able to sustain attacks too, which will be the ultimate goal.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Good to see those tweets being posted. It feels like pundits and some fans made their minds up about Martinez before he had even kicked a ball for us. They won't back down from their narrative no matter how well he plays.

VictoryUltras

Supports
Melbourne Victory
I am scared for you guys. You are going to be sending that hobbit into mordor every week if he plays CB ffs

NLunited

Ignore the bad press, Martinez did well. The third goal, Martinez is running in the other direction when the ball comes across, which is why he arrives late.

He won many duels against Toney, who is only 2 cm taller.

Whoever posted the highlights above, thanks. That should be enough to shut up anyone harping on about it.

Martinez is going to succeed, he is already one of the best on the field.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'm laughing at the people that are giving him a hard time after 1,5 matches. Eredivisie signings need more time anyway (this is what all the Dutch players/managers say, btw), he hasn't had a full pre season and he's walking into a complete shitshow.

GIVE HIM TIME!

Its obviously fine to discuss his flaws and performances so far, but it's way too soon to start writing him off.

He'sRaldo

It’s got to be said, I’ve never seen the English media go after Maguire’s pace the way they did for Martinez’s height, even with Maguire being exposed for pace far more often.

I definitely don’t trust them to be impartial and not narrative driven, especially as I didn’t really see him struggle that much the way they went on about it.

Based Adnan

It’s got to be said, I’ve never seen the English media go after Maguire’s pace the way they did for Martinez’s height, even with Maguire being exposed for pace far more often.

I definitely don’t trust them to be impartial and not narrative driven, especially as I didn’t really see him struggle that much the way they went on about it.
Maguire is one of the most protected players in the media. The fact he was put down as amber by sky sports when they were ranking our signings yesterday says it all.

roonster09

Scout

They are confused on what to target, slowness in his legs or head. One of the most terrible player we had when it comes to spending so much time on the ball, giving opponents all the time to block passing lane and doing feck all with the ball.

roonster09

Scout
I would say overall football smart, discipline. Making the pitch big upon gaining possession. Our players take longer compare to other team with similar style, to move. Having the ball while the pitch is small is playing into opposition's hand.

Then some players takes ages on ball, make tactical, technical error even when teammates all do the right thing...

So nothing new than what has been discussed for a while. We don't have the base personnel and fundamental of the playing style yet, to add some unorthodox (good) players. This squad makes some additions unfairly worse. Yet, we have a mountain of work to replace the base personnel to get this squad on track.
Agreed. Just have to hope it's just the adjustment period and they can do better once they gain some confidence after couple of wins.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Yeah, I was watching this earlier. Yet despite this, some people hold the view that every single long ball launched his way absolutely obliterates him. I mean, I criticize players so I can't talk, but for feck's sake, at least wait for a few games before shitting on one of our players. What I've seen of him so far is a player who's new to a league and is finding his feet and performing better than anyone appears to give him credit for. Certainly not flawless and feck knows whether he's going to be another bad transfer or not, but come on...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm laughing at the people that are giving him a hard time after 1,5 matches. Eredivisie signings need more time anyway (this is what all the Dutch players/managers say, btw), he hasn't had a full pre season and he's walking into a complete shitshow.

GIVE HIM TIME!

Its obviously fine to discuss his flaws and performances so far, but it's way too soon to start writing him off.
For me it's clear that it's an intensity issue rather than fundamental flaws to his game - which is expected coming directly from the Eredivisie. He'll need time to adapt, but I don't even think he's that far off it. Stats and the eye test do no back up any suggestion that him being 5ft 9 is a problem. It's not like he got dunked on like Mitrovic vs Trent or even Sinclair did vs Evra in his first game. I am more confident he'll make it here based on what I've seen to be honest.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Give him time.. You will unanimously love him here in a couple months.. Im very positive..

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Give him time.. You will unanimously love him here in a couple months.. Im very positive..
He's been the only positive thing this season so far. No idea why everyone else is losing their shit tbh.

Chief123

I still have hope that Martinez can be a solid part of our defence. Even though I do have concerns about his “presence” I hope he proves me wrong. I have more concerns about Maguire in our defence than Martinez. But that’s a different story.

A question I have for those who believe height isn’t an issue for a CB….Why does every team not just use shorter CBs who are great on the ball in that case?
They would have better centre of gravity and be more agile travelling with the ball. I’ve not heard a valid justification for height not mattering yet.

RuudTom83

His performances and perceived weaknesses have already been decided! and hence forth he will be know as a liability in the media and on forums!

Its a crazy world but that's just the way football works these days.

Telsim

People are going way too hard on him, undeservedly so. It's just his second game and he has been fairly good despite that. It's not fair at all. I think every player deserves a season to get used to the league. Last season it was Sancho and Varane.

I agree we didn't need a CB considering the dire situation in pretty much every other position, but that's not on him. And the difference in quality between him and the rest of our CBs is evident. I'd see him partnered with Varane instead however. I don't think Maguire fits the team at all.

Chief123

What I would say about Martinez is I fancy him in a duel against anyone more than I fancy Lindelof.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's what I saw and wasn't sure if I was being totally biased. The only thing that was special was how aggressive and willing to get in duels, it's something that his teammates need to realize and account for because it's a good thing for us if we are the first ones on second balls.

It reminds me Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra. Vidic was seemingly always anticipating the fact that the other two were aggressive and willing to take risks. What I saw the other day was Shaw and Maguire looking at Martinez but rarely playing with him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's been the only positive thing this season so far. No idea why everyone else is losing their shit tbh.
I think it's pretty clear. If he is the most expensive buy of the summer where we lost 2 midfielders and are just about to lose an attacker, there will always be a huge pressure on him to perform. Remains to be seen if he's really an upgrade on Lindelof.

NLunited

Don‘t listen to media and use your own eyes. He was fine in the duels, Brentfords plan to target him did not work.

DeGea’sFeet

The height is something the journalist and pundits were always going to jump on pretty lazy and very obvious. Clearly a disadvantage, but does his positives outweigh it only time will tell.

Don’t forget Canovaro was 5’9, granted played in Serie A and La Liga and was goat of cb, but surely if height was such a flaw regardless of how good the CB was opposition teams would have always exploited it regardless of the league. Especially Seria A which is very pragmatic

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That's what I saw and wasn't sure if I was being totally biased. The only thing that was special was how aggressive and willing to get in duels, it's something that his teammates need to realize and account for because it's a good thing for us if we are the first ones on second balls.

It reminds me Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra. Vidic was seemingly always anticipating the fact that the other two were aggressive and willing to take risks. What I saw the other day was Shaw and Maguire looking at Martinez but rarely playing with him.
Same here really. I couldn’t really ever remember him being outmuscled at any point, other than the goal and he was in such an awkward position for that anyway. Most players will get beaten when a ball is looped and they’re stood under the crossbar with the attacking player having the run on them.

NLunited

Hope so. His technical ability is very much needed. Far too much is being made of the physicality stuff
Yeah, 3 cm too short, gimme a break. He is very physical and aggressive. Basically had Tony in his pocket.

sammyhol

Yeah, 3 cm too short, gimme a break. He is very physical and aggressive. Basically had Tony in his pocket.
Had their striker in his pocket?...... In a game where he played 45 mins..... In which we conceded 4 goals...... of which said striker provided 2 assists.....

That is some definition of "pocketing" a striker.

NLunited

Had their striker in his pocket?...... In a game where he played 45 mins..... In which we conceded 4 goals...... of which said striker provided 2 assists.....

That is some definition of "pocketing" a striker.
Look at his highlights. He was not bullied in duels. The goals are mistakes from the Gea, Ronaldo and the whole team.

Look at the corner and you‘ll see Martinez was moving in the opposite direction when the header came across goal.

Specifically, Frank’s tactic of targeting Martinez did not work. The pressing did, and our own failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.