Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnchies

Isn't it funny that he has won zero (0) aerials in all Premier League matches except against Liverpool?

Stats from Whoscored.com
JOKE? :lol: Have you watched us play at all this season?

Also, aren't you the Lindelof super fan? for some reason you always seem negative when it comes to Martinez.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If he can have a good game against Haaland it might help stop the lazy narrative about his height, but I doubt it.

Football opinions are becoming more black and white which is extremely tiring to have to listen to.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Pundits are absolutely desperate for Martinez to get bullied by Haaland, just to try and justify their early "hot take" after the Brentford game. Ignoring the fact that he bullies defenders that are well over 6ft etc etc.
That's it. I mean, ask anyone who's the best striker right now, and most people will likely say Haaland. You'd expect that kind of player to win duels and score goals - it wouldn't be a slight on anyone at any club if that happened.

And in any case, the tactic most likely will be to stop balls coming to Haaland and crowding De Bruyne, rather than waiting till the ball comes to Haaland and then looking to Martínez to fix things.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Isn't it funny that he has won zero (0) aerials in all Premier League matches except against Liverpool?

Stats from Whoscored.com
Fbref have him winning one aerial duel in every game bar Arsenal (where he won 0) and Southampton (where he won 5).

A-man

Doesnt seem accurate at all.
Well that’s clearly a load of bollocks as you can see from the video. They won’t even include some of these because his anticipation is much better than the attackers.

They probably won’t count some as an aerial duel if Martinez anticipates the high ball before the striker and is the only one to jump. That’s a strength in itself.

There needs to be an aerial challenge for it to count as an aerial duel according to the official stats. If there is no challenge, it is most often counted as a clearance. This is the same for everybody.

If that’s true it would only prove what a pointless stat it is.

It’s entirely possible that Martinez will lose physical or aerial duels against Haaland, he’s outmuscled far bigger and stronger players than Martinez. But anyone still beating the ‘too small to play CB in the PL’ drum is a dopey moron. Awareness, intelligence, timing, aggression and quality on the ball are far more important attributes for a modern CB than height, and he has those in abundance.

Would it be an advantage if he had a few extra centimeters? Obviously. And there will be times where that might cost him/us. But nothing so far seems to suggest that it’s a major issue for him.
These are just the official stats. Someone used the same stats to claim he was among the best in the air in the entire PL however I think that’s the wrong conclusion.
I 100% agree there are more important things for a modern CB than being good in the air.

JOKE? :lol: Have you watched us play at all this season?

Also, aren't you the Lindelof super fan? for some reason you always seem negative when it comes to Martinez.
These are the official aerial stats. You are probably right that a post that includes those stats is negative.

Fbref have him winning one aerial duel in every game bar Arsenal (where he won 0) and Southampton (where he won 5).
The stats I showed are the official stats from Premier League and from whoscored.
Fbref have another definition for aerials won and all players have higher stats. According to fbref he has won 1.67 aerials per game in the PL, however that is very low figures compared to all CBs, as it puts him in the 8% percentile of CBs in Europe top leagues in terms of aerials won.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/67191/Lisandro-Martínez/stats

Foxbatt

There needs to be an aerial challenge for it to count as an aerial duel according to the official stats. If there is no challenge, it is most often counted as a clearance. This is the same for everybody.

These are just the official stats. Someone used the same stats to claim he was among the best in the air in the entire PL however I think that’s the wrong conclusion.
I 100% agree there are more important things for a modern CB than being good in the air.

These are the official aerial stats. You are probably right that a post that includes those stats is negative.

The stats I showed are the official stats from Premier League and from whoscored.
Fbref have another definition for aerials won and all players have higher stats. According to fbref he has won 1.67 aerials per game in the PL, however that is very low figures compared to all CBs, as it puts him in the 8% percentile of CBs in Europe top leagues in terms of aerials won.

So a player has to wait until the opposing player is going to attack the ball or in this case head the ball before he can head it clear? What's the point of anticipation then. It's a load of BS. I don't think Haarland is going to bully him. He may well score though.

Kaos

If he can have a good game against Haaland it might help stop the lazy narrative about his height, but I doubt it.

Football opinions are becoming more black and white which is extremely tiring to have to listen to.
The trouble is, Haaland could easily have a stormer of a game and it wouldn't prove anything, yet the naysayers would be convinced he's too short for the PL.

Bondi77

I think that strength ,speed, awareness and height would be four attributes that would make a defender world class as not many come with the full set but if a player has three then we would be looking at a very good player.
Just because a player is tall does not necessarily mean they are good in the air and from what I have seen of Haaland ( I could be wrong) it does not seem like a strength of his.

AussieDevil

Stats from Whoscored.com
That’s such a silly take :lol:

How many times do players go up for a ball shoulder to shoulder?

99.9% of headers in a game are won by the player who has greater anticipation and can get ahead of the attacker (or defender) and win the race to the ball.

hart

So Carragher has recently written that Martinez should just avoid Haaland on Sunday as he will be outmuscled by him, completely ignoring the fact that he did a fine job against him in the Dortmund-Ajax game in recent times.

I really hope he keeps Haaland quiet throughout the game and shuts up these pundits. After having such a good start they still dont think he's cut out to make it as a CB in the premier league
These British pundits has only 1 agenda , to get Maguire back in the team , therefore they must scapegoat Martinez for every mistake ,every defeat , every whatever it is. I mean , what's the reason of them keep attacking Martinez and build negative narrative around him ? it's because he benched their beloved Maguire. Maguire is "tall and strong" therefore should be better for EPL than Martinez "short and weak" ignoring the fact that he is useless , remember when he was absolutely bullied by 35 years old Giroud ? Maguire doesn't excel against anyone whether they are tall , short , strong , weak , slow or fast as long as they are a footballer.

Last edited:

Steve 007

There are very few players in the world who’ll put Haaland in their pocket. He might be a city player but at the moment and probably for 13 years to come, he’s going to be the best striker in the world. He’s destroyed all the PL defences his scoring charts are beyond belief. Does it mean Martinez isn’t good enough if Haaland scores tomorrow? Of course it doesn’t. If we win and Haaland doesn’t score does that suddenly make him the best defender on the planet? Of course not. He’s young, tenacious and will continue to develop and get better either way.

Reactions: Cheimoon

A-man

So a player has to wait until the opposing player is going to attack the ball or in this case head the ball before he can head it clear? What's the point of anticipation then. It's a load of BS. I don't think Haarland is going to bully him. He may well score though.

There needs to be a challenge to be counted as an aerial challenge. Same principle for ground duels. If no challenge he, it’s a clearance. This is not something new, it’s been like that for many years, it’s just there hasn’t been any complaints about it until now when Martinez’ stats were posted in this thread.

The requirement for a challenge goes both ways. Most of the aerial balls won by opponents were not not lost aerials in Martinez’ stats because he didn’t challenge. I’m mostly thinking about hoofed long balls but also crosses in to the box.

Of course there is a grey zone between aerial duel and clearance which make this stat a bit subjective, however over a few matches it evens out.

That’s such a silly take :lol:

How many times do players go up for a ball shoulder to shoulder?

99.9% of headers in a game are won by the player who has greater anticipation and can get ahead of the attacker (or defender) and win the race to the ball.
It’s far from true. For a CB, if you compare aerial clearances vs aerial duels they normally win more aerial duels than aerial clearances.

If we look at Maguire he has 542 aerial clearances and has won 706 aerial duels in his PL career.

Varane has 60 aerial clearances and won 66 aerial duels.

Lindelof has 243 aerial cleaners and has won 303 aerial duels

SAFMUTD

Im a bit nervous for tomorrow, we'll surely pin Varane against Haaland but Haaland is going to get into Martinez's area. The physicality between the two is huge, Martinez is a warrior but I'm afraid Haaland is to tall and strong for him to deal with.

Hopefully we can do a job between Varane and Martinez to shut him down.

Irwin99

Im a bit nervous for tomorrow, we'll surely pin Varane against Haaland but Haaland is going to get into Martinez's area. The physicality between the two is huge, Martinez is a warrior but I'm afraid Haaland is to tall and strong for him to deal with.

Hopefully we can do a job between Varane and Martinez to shut him down.
You might be right about tomorrow but there are plenty of occasions where a smaller defender or a make shift centre back has dominated a huge striker that was expected to get the better of them. I can give 3 off the top of my head

• Daily Blind vs Lukaku -Blind absolutely crushed him
  • Roy Keane Vs Les Ferdinand- Keane MOTM
  • Martinez vs Haaland- I admit I didn't see this one but Ajax and Martinez shackled him comfortably from what i read.

I'm pretty reasonably confident about our defence tomorrow. Handling their midfield might be another matter :nervous:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

An eye test tells me that he is more active snd more successful in the air than your golden boy

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

I think people definitely mix up winning aerial duels, as in actually out heading someone, and headed clearances. Totally different things.
I can't believe Martinez possibly can come out that high in the former, but no doubt does a lot of the latter.

However, he's more than holding his own right now, and let's hope he and Varane stay fit and in this fashion long term.

A-man

I think people definitely mix up winning aerial duels, as in actually out heading someone, and headed clearances. Totally different things.
I can't believe Martinez possibly can come out that high in the former, but no doubt does a lot of the latter.

However, he's more than holding his own right now, and let's hope he and Varane stay fit and in this fashion long term.
No that’s two different things, and looking at aerial clearances he has more normal stats compared to other CBs, pretty much the same as Lindelof. Maguire is the one with really high stats in both aerial duels and aerial clearances. When it comes to challenging in the air I really think size plays a part, at least for a player who doesn’t lack aggression on the ground. I can’t think of any other reason why he rarely goes on to aerial battles. Doesn’t mean he is too small for the PL, just too small to be dominant in the air.

Man City 6:3 Man Utd

The United

Thought he would keep Haaland out!

Seriously, I like the way he plays on the ground but yeah, our defense does not look stronger at all. Obviously, it is not entirely his fault. We still need a lot of work on it.

Idxomer

He's a better player on the ball than the two playmakers who featured today.

IFC 1905

There isn’t much you can do when your midfield is inexistent and your lb and rb are getting demolished. I don’t think he had anything to do with the goals except haalands third goal

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There isn’t much you can do when your midfield is inexistent and your lb and rb are getting demolished. I don’t think he had anything to do with the goals except haalands third goal
That excuse isn't allowed for certain other centre backs. He was poor.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'm sure the 'not big enough' narrative will start up again in spite of the fact that he was the least shit member of the defence, same as the Brentford/Brighton games.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he was easily the best player in our starting 11 and the only one who didn't shit himself on the ball or off the ball. But we got battered around him and there were endless cutbacks, so whatever 0 blame on him IMO.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm sure the 'not big enough' narrative will start up again in spite of the fact that he was the least shit member of the defence, same as the Brentford/Brighton games.
Yep no doubt it'll flair up, if only because it's an easy narrative in the wake of a defeat.

Anyway do people think he's big enough? I'm not sure personally.

IFC 1905

That excuse isn't allowed for certain other centre backs. He was poor.
well in my vision he wasn’t poor at all. He made many clearances and played many good balls. If there’s someone who was Poor it was Varane. Just because the team got smashed it doesn’t mean everyone was poor.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Best player on the pitch today, at least he gave a feck together with Antony.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With Varane having been eased into the season and now injured again, we could have been looking at quite a lot of the Maguire/Lindelof CB pairing this season if we hadn't signed Martinez.

Given it's bad enough playing one of those two, if highlights just how much that CB signing was needed this summer.

Superunknown

Thought he would keep Haaland out!

Seriously, I like the way he plays on the ground but yeah, our defense does not look stronger at all. Obviously, it is not entirely his fault. We still need a lot of work on it.
You defend as a team, and the entire team made mistake after mistake. The midfield in front of him acted as a really poor shield.

Red_toad

The least shit member of our defence today but he was still shit.
Struggling to think what he actually did, game and the players he was marking just passed him by. Had 1 good pass in the first half, otherwise one of his worst game for me. I thought Dalot as the best of the bunch and he was a very mixed bag.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Haaland is really sneaky, instead of targeting Martínez like we all thought he targeted the other 10 players.

4D chess, vibrating anal beads (I hope that reference is understood)

Longshanks

Haaland is really sneaky, instead of targeting Martínez like we all thought he targeted the other 10 players.

4D chess, vibrating anal beads (I hope that reference is understood)
I think the term 4D chess should be replaced with 'vibrating anal beads tactics'.

Fabio Rochemback

Yeah I totally agree. Obviously, he wasn't great but every other player who started was more to blame from that shitshow than him.

Lentwood

I do think there's a serious point to be made here again about our team and our inability to defend as a unit. We have conceded 14 goals already this season, only Forest and Fulham have conceded more.

This club is were CBs got to have their reputations destroyed and that will continue with Martinez and Varane at this rate.

phelans shorts

I do think there's a serious point to be made here again about our team and our inability to defend as a unit. We have conceded 14 goals already this season, only Forest and Fulham have conceded more.

This club is were CBs got to have their reputations destroyed and that will continue with Martinez and Varane at this rate.
This is a nonsense point. Literally 71% of those goals have come in 29% of the games, so reputations are fine. Add in the totally different defensive partnerships between those games and it couldn’t mean any less.

Status
Not open for further replies.