Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

His actual heading technique seems very good (unlike Maguire who wins tonnes of headers but it's a cointoss as to whether they end up going to one of our players or the opposition). He's not going to be winning many headers from corners with a towering leap over the opposition's 6'3" centre half, but there's an aspect of timing your run and luck where a lot of headed chances like that are relatively uncontested.

If Tim Cahill can score as many headers in the PL as he did, there's no reason Martinez can't nick a few as well.
He still needs a CB next to him who does most of the heading stuff. Which is what Varane has been doing.

Same reason I'm not keen on Lindelof partnering him. Feel like we're pushing our luck there.

King Kendrick

He still needs a CB next to him who does most of the heading stuff. Which is what Varane has been doing.

Same reason I'm not keen on Lindelof partnering him. Feel like we're pushing our luck there.
While I don’t necessarily disagree, I think the main attribute his partner needs is proactive awareness, which Maguire and, to a lesser extent, Lindelof, most certainly are not.

Rolaholic

Truly was one of the dumbest narratives in recent memory :lol:

Even had a few on here regurgitating that nonsense

Skills

Snitch

Where have William Hill got those stats from? Fbref seems to massively disagree with them

Chairman Steve

The whole height thing is ridiculous when the rebuttal is mentioning Franco Baresi and Fabio Cannavaro.

Juxtapose the pundit sound bites on Martinez, with videos of Cannavaro lifting the World Cup and Baresi lifting one of the many fecking trophies he won.

Chief123

He’s one of our only players who can win a header
Agree he’s actually very good at heading. In particular, winning headers that most tall defenders wouldn’t even get to. Martinez is very good at anticipating where the ball is going and often gets ahead of the striker to head the ball away. He’s able to do this due to his agility and low centre of gravity. He does it so well that you often wonder why he gets so many headers unchallenged. It’s because he’s very good at getting to the striking point before anyone else.

MUnchies

A few on here? let's be honest, our own fan started the height thing way before the media. As soon as we were linked with him, all the talk was about his height and price.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Top top player… he has the sort of mentality that we need in every single one of our players. Every game he gives 100%. He’s proving all his doubters wrong. It’s a shame he’s gonna have a new CB partner for the next few weeks… him and Varane was making such a solid pairing.

criticalanalysis

It depends on what you mean specifically but that's a very harsh way of looking at it. Martinez more than holds his own in open play aerially; it's probably from set pieces where he may be disadvantaged. Brentford aside, I don't think we've seen him 'exposed' and even then, he was in a good position but slipped.

While I don’t necessarily disagree, I think the main attribute his partner needs is proactive awareness, which Maguire and, to a lesser extent, Lindelof, most certainly are not.
Agree with this. It should be the other replacements, who should be complimenting and stepping up their game. Lindelof performed okay/didn't make any mistakes against an Everton and Omonia that sat back and offered very little threat but even then it was a very meh performance i.e Martinez was the stand out in passing, defensively, aerials, influence etc. If Lindelof is passive with 1 vs 1s, defers to Martinez in passing and just generally is happy to sit and backtrack, it's going to be a net negative overall. A potentially rejuvenated Villa worries me.

Varane is elite aerially so this is where we might be in trouble.
I'm assuming these are per 90mins? Bloody hell, this basically tells us Martinez is elite in every category except aerial duels. That stat is interesting as whilst it may be technically true, I don't recall many where I think 'the player got the ball and has done something with it'. You could probably extrapolate that to be 'true' as it reflects in the other stats i.e interceptions, blocks, tackles etc where it shows he's extremely proactive.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm assuming these are per 90mins? Bloody hell, this basically tells us Martinez is elite in every category except aerial duels. That stat is interesting as whilst it may be technically true, I don't recall many where I think 'the player got the ball and has done something with it'. You could probably extrapolate that to be 'true' as it reflects in the other stats i.e interceptions, blocks, tackles etc where it shows he's extremely proactive.
Yeah I think some of the aerial stats are probably a bit misleading in that you could have someone "win" a header over a CB but really they just got there head to a hoofed clearance that didn't really go anywhere. Feels a bit different than beating a CB in the box and getting a header on target if that makes sense.

Also those stats don't even factor in that Martinez is possibly the best ball playing CB in football (he's right there with Laporte and Matip for me at least)

A-man

Yeah I think some of the aerial stats are probably a bit misleading in that you could have someone "win" a header over a CB but really they just got there head to a hoofed clearance that didn't really go anywhere. Feels a bit different than beating a CB in the box and getting a header on target if that makes sense.

Also those stats don't even factor in that Martinez is possibly the best ball playing CB in football (he's right there with Laporte and Matip for me at least)
There is a lot of stats for passes, pass type, progressive passes etc if you are interested in deep diving in to that. This is Martinez in PL so far, individually per 90 min, and how he compares to other CBs (percentile).

Source is fbref, which do not have exactly the same definitions as the official PL stats but all definitions are available.
Edit: What is missing here and would be interesting is the number of one-, and two- touch passes. That gives an indication of speed of passing. I had access to that kind of stats before but not any longer.

Last edited:

adityaspatil

Premier League
van Djik v Saliba v Martinez
Clean Sheet: 4-4-4
Blocks: 8-3-10
Interceptions: 14-6-14
Tackles: 8-18-19
Tackles Won: 3-9-10
Clearances: 42-33-46
Headed Clearances: 19-18-21
Own Goals: 0-1-0
Error Leading Goal: 1-0-0
Penalties Conceded: 1-1-0

Height: 6ft4-6ft4-5ft9.

Donut

His passing between the lines reminds me of Carrick. I wonder how he’d do in the DM role, obviously it won’t happen with Casemiro there and Martinez being great at CB.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
When an opposition player basically chased him towards our byline, I wasn't worried at all, like I'd have with Maguire. Absolutely no-nonsense performance from him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Him,casemiro and Eriksen would be the first names I'd expect whenever seeing our line up, player of the season so far and it seems that price we paid for him wasn't that bad after all.

the_cliff

When an opposition player basically chased him towards our byline, I wasn't worried at all, like I'd have with Maguire. Absolutely no-nonsense performance from him.
Yeah that was in the first half I even remember thinking the same thing.

I was thinking shit Man on, then I saw it was Martinez I'm like ahhh we good. :lol:

He even turned the defender and played a brilliant pass through the lines to Eriksen straight after.

Joke of a player, way on his way to being a potential future captain and player of the year.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He barely put a foot wrong in that first half. He had my laughing every time he made a defensive contribution because he was that good. The best part is he doesn’t only win the challenge he comes out with the ball and then sprays a ridiculous pass out. We’ve done it ladies and gentlemen…we’ve finally made a fecking inspired signing!

the_cliff

He barely put a foot wrong in that first half. He had my laughing every time he made a defensive contribution because he was that good. The best part is he doesn’t only win the challenge he comes out with the ball and then sprays a ridiculous pass out. We’ve done it ladies and gentlemen…we’ve finally made a fecking inspired signing!
And it's the way he wins the ball back as well, him and Casemiro make winning the ball back look so easy it almost looks like art.

Then he'll just walk forward with ball, head up and play a perfect pass, perfectly weighted and perfectly placed into either Eriksen or Casemiro.

Was he really our second choice after Timber ? I don't watch much of the Eredivisie but it's hard to believe there's a CB better than him there.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The way he's winning the ball back is like man against boys. Where the boys are twice his size.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
And it's the way he wins the ball back as well, him and Casemiro make winning the ball back look so easy it almost looks like art.

Then he'll just walk forward with ball, head up and play a perfect pass, perfectly weighted and perfectly placed into either Eriksen or Casemiro.

Was he really our second choice after Timber ? I don't watch much of the Eredivisie but it's hard to believe there's a CB better than him there.
Yeh completely agree with you there too. Casemiro is an exceptional tackler and so is Martinez. It almost certainly is an art, and as a defender myself there’s not much I enjoy more than a top defender playing like this.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's really switched on and proactive. Reads the game well, very composed, great on the ball. Pure class.

The Purley King

Can see why he cost so much now.
Excellent defender and a clever footballer.
Turns out size doesn’t matter so much despite what the missus reads in cosmopolitan:)

A-man

Tonight it was great to have him and Lindelof who both can hit dangerous balls in to the box, but curious if they’ll start against West Ham who are strong in the air.

mu4c_20le

Can see why he cost so much now.
Excellent defender and a clever footballer.
Turns out size doesn’t matter so much despite what the missus reads in cosmopolitan:)
It's because we left it late, and fecked around with Timber first. Could've been a real bargain.

Leonzo1

The improvement in our defensive play with him and Casemiro in the team is incredible. 535 minutes played since we last conceded an open play goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.