Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

joedirt87

i would like to see him play with another CB with pace so they could play higher. up and down debut.

Andersons Dietician

Was pretty decent on the ball but watching him defend almost had me covering my eyes. Hopefully grows in to the league but was left a bit worried by what I saw today.

Xoxo

Supports
Real Madrid
Confident and compose on the ball

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
What fecking game we’re you lot watching? He was our best defender.
Maguire was comfortably our best defender today

Martinez had a difficult afternoon

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I have a feeling that those good natured midget jokes and memes will slowly disappear if he doesn’t hit the ground running soon-ish. Caf already sharpening knoves after one match in a crap team :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's not knee jerk when it's quite clear he isn't going be able to cope with big physical centre forwards.

He's small, he's not quick and he's not strong.

We will concede a lot with him at centre back.
It is when you are basing it off one game when he has played plenty against big physical centre forwards

Lecland07

Well, I guess Martinez has been written off then. One game and done.

El-Manos

Sorry, but this guy is not going to make it in PL. Not just for us, for any PL team. He will be targeted and destroyed.

Waste of money, and for a position we didn't really need players. One of the worst transfers ever for us.
Come on man, it’s his first game.

Renegade

Mixed bag! His a level above technically. He’ll struggle in a team with no protection like ours.

No suprise he improved once Eriksen slotted into the 6.

criticalanalysis

What fecking game we’re you lot watching? He was our best defender.
I wouldn't go that far but I don't think he was bad at all.

He looks sharp and is very good with the ball. Defensively didn't had to do much but looked confident.

A couple of bad moments, including the penalty incident but he looks a talent. Could he be 'bullied'? Maybe but let's see.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sorry, but this guy is not going to make it in PL. Not just for us, for any PL team. He will be targeted and destroyed.

Waste of money, and for a position we didn't really need players. One of the worst transfers ever for us.
Please tell me you aren’t being serious.

Flying_Heckfish

He needs to make a big impression to convince that the money wasn't better spent in midfield or attack. Didn't do that today, not even close. But there were no positives anywhere in the team today.

Bwuk

Thought he was fine. Everytime he had the ball he looked up for a pass and no-one wants it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Maguire was comfortably our best defender today
Did you see the first goal?

Runner down his channel - plays him onside, marks nobody, cuts off no passing options, doesn't fill in on Martinez's side while he has to follow the runner, stands there like a fecking traffic cone.

Reactions: Fortitude

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Very mixed but even if he had been utterly abysmal, meh. Competitive debut, first time playing alongside his new CB partner, new to the league, etc etc.

Today's issues lay elsewhere, though that perhaps underlines the point that going into the season with a new CB as our main signing ain't great.

frostbite

Come on man, it’s his first game.
Yes, and the opposition did not target him. If he plays again they will target him and he will not be able to cope, it is obvious. Unfortunately for him, in the PL size matters.

RuudTom83

If the club are fine giving McFred 5 years to prove themselves then let’s not critique this lad after one game.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Today was a chastener for Martinez. He started well but got shaken after how we went behind. Never quite recovered his composure after that. Good player in there but will need to be twice as quick in the head and feet to compensate for his lack of pace. Welbeck bullied him.

Nick7

Didn’t think he was that bad in the first half. Looks a step above on the ball. Think he will struggle if we don’t get a better midfielder in, and didn’t look exactly comfortable with Maguire to his right while on the ball.

The United

Very good today with what he could do. However, as I have been saying I am not sure he will be good enough against top strikers here. His lack of height and strength due to his size will be exploited and it will be too much stress for him and the whole team.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really impressive technically. I remember reading he can play in midfield, if that’s true maybe he should at least until we get someone else there.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Up and down. The poor bastard is playing with some rubbish players in front of him.

Ekeke

There are people on this forum who will consistently lie about the players they like. Its obvious who they are. Not going to do it

I backed him as a very good defender for us to sign. I think he will be. But today I dont think he was overall better than Lindelof etc and certainly not as good as Bailly when he is fit and playing well.

I think the first 20 mins things were going fine for us and he was the one playing some nice passes into midfield and attack accelerating our progress. But then after 20 mins or so the team fell apart and his performance didnt fare much better than his teammates. Better than Maguire and had some good moments on the ball but I'm expecting better in the coming games because I don't think thats the level he's going to play at most weeks.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Very good today with what he could do. However, as I have been saying I am not sure he will be good enough against top strikers here. His lack of height and strength due to his size will be exploited and it will be too much stress for him and the whole team.
Just curious. Who are these tall strikers that he is going to struggle against? Most teams play a 4-3-3 or variation of it and if they have a big #9 Maguire can pick him up. Where he will struggle for his lack of height is on set plays when big defenders come forward, not during regular game play...

frostbite

Please tell me you aren’t being serious.
Well, considering we need players badly in other positions, and we gave away 50 million for a DC that it is obvious he is not PL material, yes, I think it was one of the worst transfers ever. I hope I am wrong. Do you think he will make it at PL? Not for us, any PL team?

Ekeke

He was late to react to Welbeck's run on the first goal but good on the ball. I'm sure he will learn from that mistake...
So he was, but also because Maguire had sagged behind and played him onside. So it goes both ways. That said I think he could have done a bit better on the ball coming across, it was him covering the right side and so would have to use his right foot to block it so perhaps not his most comfortable situation but if we're looking at him to be a top CB then yeah you can question letting that ball come across. Something our other CBs have allowed too easily at times as well

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Premier League hit him hard. But I don't think many defenders could have debuted particularly well with them two idiots in midfield today.

If he plays like that again next week I'll be worried. He can have a pass this week.

Would argue it's poor management from Ten Hag chucking him in.

Long Time Red

It is when you are basing it off one game when he has played plenty against big physical centre forwards
Not against Premier League quality centre forwards.

It's pretty obvious he has quality on the ball but the coaches and players are too good in this league not to expose his physical weaknesses.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Second half was really good on the ball, but for pure physicality reasons of height and speed I think we'll have a lot of worrying moments this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.