Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Brighton got way more joy from targeting the space behind Maguire last match compare to going after Martinez this match.
I didn't say that they didn't just that Frank (and his coaching/ analytical staff) felt that they got joy from targeting Martinez and Shaw and decided to replicate that (Maybe due to the players at his disposal).

I didn't think he was "bad" at all (in fact I've never said a bad word about Martinez) but I think some posters concerns are justified.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
£55m for a guy who is too small to be a PL cb.

Another disaster CB signing I think

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He should be played with Varane, I thought he did fine today, unfortunate slip for the goal. Mee was basically falling over himself and managed to be in the right place for the ball coming down, hardly 'bullied' Martinez. He has not shown anything that suggests he is a liability.
Bullied is the narrative sky sports are pushing. Are you surprise, it’s become the description of what happened there.
I doubt it would’ve been called bullied if it was a taller defender.
Skysports will not stop till manage to convince everyone of their lies. Gladly some of us watch the game attentively.

BarstoolProphet

I didn't say that they didn't just that Frank (and his coaching/ analytical staff) felt that they got joy from targeting Martinez and Shaw and decided to replicate that (Maybe due to the players at his disposal).

I didn't think he was "bad" at all (in fact I've never said a bad word about Martinez) but I think some posters concerns are justified.
Oh, yeah, that I agree on. I think the 3rd goal alone is enough to justify that concern. It wasn't a mistake, more down the physical disadvantage he has.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He should be played with Varane, I thought he did fine today, unfortunate slip for the goal. Mee was basically falling over himself and managed to be in the right place for the ball coming down, hardly 'bullied' Martinez. He has not shown anything that suggests he is a liability.
Other than both teams we’ve played so far deciding they’d get some joy by repeatedly pinging long balls towards him and, as it turned out, getting lots of joy by repeatedly pinging long balls towards him?

The goal he conceded at the far post was just the cherry on a very worrying cake…

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We could have got Skriniar for 5m more. We could have got Torres for same price. So far it doesn't seem like its money well spent.

Conor

Other than both teams we’ve played so far deciding they’d get some joy by pinging long balls towards him and, as it turned out, getting lots of joy by pinging long balls towards him?

The goal he conceded at the far post was just the cherry on a very worrying cake…
I don't recall any Brentford 'joy' from them doing that today, aside from the goal, which I've already mentioned. You seem to have made your mind up on him already, that much was clear after last week's game.

AFC NimbleThumb

Needs to be played alongside Varane & hope that Malacia kicks on if he’s to have any chance at CB for us.

Primex

I rather have him than pau Torres tbh,only other center back I would swap for is gvardiol

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don't recall any Brentford 'joy' from them doing that today, aside from the goal, which I've already mentioned. You seem to have made your mind up on him already, that much was clear after last week's game.
I have no dog in this fight. I want him to be a great success. I’m just giving my opinion on his performances. He was mediocre in his first game. Worse today. And he’s obviously being targetted. That’s a problem.

frostbite

Needs to be played alongside Varane & hope that Malacia kicks on if he’s to have any chance at CB for us.
Malacia is 5 feet 7 (1.69 m). Martinez is 5 feet 9. And you want to play them together? What do you expect to happen?

AFC NimbleThumb

Malacia is 5 feet 7 (1.69 m). Martinez is 5 feet 9. And you want to play them together? What do you expect to happen?
Simply put you could play a Stoke type at LB & Martinez will be targeted but the only chance he has at CB is with players around him playing better.

I can only see him at DM personally but if he’s to thrive a CB we need to do more on the ball & have him defending less.

Shaw at LB is how tall & did what exactly?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Anyone see Thomas Frank's interview post game? Pretty interesting. Says they targeted martinez on purpose due to his height.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
We could have got Skriniar for 5m more. We could have got Torres for same price. So far it doesn't seem like its money well spent.
And the story goes that the club wanted torres but were overruled by ten hag.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anyone see Thomas Frank's interview post game? Pretty interesting. Says they targeted martinez on purpose due to his height.
It's a bit like when teams used to shoot long range at De Gea because he had a wobble in the first few games.

Eventually teams will realise it's not actually a weakness. For all the build up about Brentford going long and how the front 2 would bully us, they never actually did.

Welbeck did a better job than Toney or Mbuemo.

The simple fact is we lost the first goal to De geas howler, the 2nd due to De gea and Eriksen, the 3rd was a collection of errors and the 4th on Maguire and Shaw.

Jaykespeare88

The height thing is such a lazy trope. Yes he looks small compared to the maybe 4 or 5 massive strikers in the league, but the only goal i half blame him for was the Mee corner, the other two goals came from GK mistake, and maguire caught in no mans land from one long ball to Toney who slides it across for the brentgord player to shrug off and out pace Luke Shaw. Hopefully getting hooked at halftime instills a greater drive in him to start and stay in the team, dont even mind trying him at DM.

C'est Moi Cantona

Massive alarm bells should have been ringing when after Timber rejected us, it just so happened that his CB partner was also deemed good enough to start for us.

Eddy_JukeZ

Might be the signing synonymous with the manager's time/failure at the club.

Moyes - Fellaini
Van Gaal - Schweinsteiger
Mourinho - Lukaku
Ole - Maguire
ETH - Martinez

A terrible start. Those funds should have been used in midfield or attack.

frostbite

Simply put you could play a Stoke type at LB & Martinez will be targeted but the only chance he has at CB is with players around him playing better.

I can only see him at DM personally but if he’s to thrive a CB we need to do more on the ball & have him defending less.

Shaw at LB is how tall & did what exactly?

Shaw is 6 feet 1. And he is fat, you can't push him around. He has different problems but he cannot be mauled.

Tiber

Maybe our second choice Ajax CB isn't going to revolutionise the position afterall.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think if you're blaming him alone for the 3rd goal/problem at set pieces you're letting people off the hook who shouldnt be

Watch again. Thats Eriksen's man running off him at the back post, he doesnt go with him and then Dalot loses the header against him. Thats what puts the ball into the 6 yard box area dropping towards where Lisandro has gone back to the goal line. Goalkeeper was blocked on first cross and never gets back into a good position for when the ball goes back towards his goal from the Brentford player.

At that point Lisandro doesnt know where the ball is and he doesnt attack it to try and win it like the attacker, who does so and puts it in. At that point having gone to the goal line and with the keeper not being in position, and with the ball being allowed to be headed into that area he needs to clear the ball. And he fails. And its not convincing defending at all. Its his mistake.

But it doesnt excuse the process of mistakes before that from Eriksen, Dalot and De Gea that led to him needing to make the clearance.
I actually blame DeGea the most for this goal. Just like the first 2 he’s made bad choices and bad mistakes

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Might be the signing synonymous with the manager's time/failure at the club.

Moyes - Fellaini
Van Gaal - Schweinsteiger
Mourinho - Lukaku
Ole - Maguire
ETH - Martinez

A terrible start. Those funds should have been used in midfield or attack.
Surely LVGs is Di Maria or Depay?

Bastian felt like barely a footnote

Conor

I have no dog in this fight. I want him to be a great success. I’m just giving my opinion on his performances. He was mediocre in his first game. Worse today. And he’s obviously being targetted. That’s a problem.
Can you explain how he was as bad as you're suggesting today? The 2 things that come to mind for me are the goal, which was unlucky(he would clearly have got a head on it if he hadn't slipped), and a tackle he tried to make on the sideline that he missed, but the ball went out of play.

AFC NimbleThumb

Shaw is 6 feet 1. And he is fat, you can't push him around. He has different problems but he cannot be mauled.
I’m not sure what you’re argument is. Persist with Shaw because although he’s crap he’s fat? Players don’t often need to push Shaw around cause he’s hardly ever in touching distance.

I get the worry about height, I have it too but I’m done seeing the same players produce the same results. Martinez will either fail completely or be a DM in this league but whilst we’re persisting with that experiment we may aswell try other things also.

frostbite

I’m not sure what you’re argument is. Persist with Shaw because although he’s crap he’s fat? Players don’t often need to push Shaw around cause he’s hardly ever in touching distance.

I get the worry about height, I have it too but I’m done seeing the same players produce the same results. Martinez will either fail completely or be a DM in this league but whilst we’re persisting with that experiment we may aswell try other things also.
My argument is that you can't play Malacia and Martinez at the same time. They will be mauled.

sammyhol

Let’s hope this guy is got the DCM role in his locker, cos he is gonna get monstered by some on the big CFs in this league.

I knew he was short, but he looked ridiculously small to be playing CB in the Prem.

I think Ivan Toney is gonna give him serious problems next week.
this was all so obvious

Marwood

Can you explain how he was as bad as you're suggesting today? The 2 things that come to mind for me are the goal, which was unlucky(he would clearly have got a head on it if he hadn't slipped), and a tackle he tried to make on the sideline that he missed, but the ball went out of play.
Why do you think he was subbed after 45min?

AFC NimbleThumb

My argument is that you can't play Malacia and Martinez at the same time. They will be mauled.
How has playing Shaw & Martinez at the same time worked out?

I get your argument but we’ve seen the alternative so what would be the harm in trying RB-Varane-Martinez-Malacia? Again I think Martinez will have to be a DM in this league eventually or play in a back 3 but until that day comes Shaw shouldn’t start just because he’s fat.

Just Hope

Abysmal performance today. It has become very hard to judge new signings in the current context.

Regarding the substitution: it felt very weird. While it is understandable wanting to have more aerial presence both attacking and defending, the team was already down four. We needed offensive prowess, which we did not get, mostly due to the fact that neither Maguire or Varane are of the habit of pushing foward.

That and the presence of Shaw makes me think that the dressing room is rotten with Glazer influence.

frostbite

How has playing Shaw & Martinez at the same time worked out?

I get your argument but we’ve seen the alternative so what would be the harm in trying RB-Varane-Martinez-Malacia? Again I think Martinez will have to be a DM in this league eventually or play in a back 3 but until that day comes Shaw shouldn’t start just because he’s fat.
I wrote my opinion on Martinez last week and many people disagreed... (perhaps I was too critical and direct, but still ... )

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/lisandro-martínez-2022-23-performances.471684/page-7#post-29244901

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He was constantly losing out in physical battles every time their forwards were hit with long passes. And every high ball into our box caused chaos because we only had one CB who looked like heading the ball clear (and a complete fanny in nets but that’s for another thread). It got to the point where whenever we conceded a fecking throw in it was a huge threat for Brentford.

All of which explains why he got the hook after 45 minutes. He was shite and didn’t deserve to come out again after half time.

gaffs

Martinez is going to get targeted every single week. He’s going to be bullied by some of the Premier league forwards.

Honestly think it was naive of Ten Haag to bring in such a little guy. Don’t think he understood the physicality of the league - he does now!

frostbite

I want to point out that many people also underestimate the psychological aspects of football.

For example, everyone who has played a little football knows about the constant trash talk between (some) footballers. I am sure that Martinez is used to it, but probably the PL is on a whole different level. Even if Maguire is playing bad, it is not easy to trash talk him, and you certainly cannot push him around or body check him.

On the other hand, Martinez will be open to mauling all the time, because he is short, weak AND slow. Add all the trash talk about being the shortest center back in the PL. Will he be able to take it? It is not easy. I remember the Zidane’s headbutt on Materazzi. Trash talk can really get to you. Combine this with the physical aspects of PL, and it really gets hard psychologically. It is much easier when you play for Ajax and all the other teams are so much worse than your team. Sure, Martinez also played in the CL, but this is only for a few games per year and it is not as tough as the PL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Did not get bullied by Toney once.

(I think Toney/Martinez had one real duel/fight. In the beginning of the half. Around 10-11 min. Martinez did great and won.)
Toney is not the only person that is bigger than him. He got bullied by Jensen for their third goal. I stopped watching the game after 40 minutes so can’t say after that.

SalfordTED

He was constantly losing out in physical battles every time their forwards were hit with long passes. And every high ball into our box caused chaos because we only had one CB who looked like heading the ball clear (and a complete fanny in nets but that’s for another thread). It got to the point where whenever we conceded a fecking throw in it was a huge threat for Brentford.

All of which explains why he got the hook after 45 minutes. He was shite and didn’t deserve to come out again after half time.

Agreed

I would prefer Phil Jones at CB all day every day

it's crazy

Ten Hag just has to be clueless, he's employed the Dutch/German accented Wally with the Brolly, who talks in riddles and Rhymes.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That side would maul this side.
Beat me to it. It amazes me the stupidity on here. LVG football was boring as hell but he beat City, Liverpool and other good teams regularly.

This Utd team is the worst in my lifetime. It's horrendous and given the toxicity in the squad we are definitely now in the not too good to go down territory. I don't think we will but I can see a midtable to lower half finish easily given how things are.

Glazers out. Hope they rot in hell the inbred parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.