Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Was kicked out of the club far too early. It was one of those where he was actually good so it was easy to sell him whilst less desirable players like Bailly/Jones etc. couldn’t be shifted. Similar story to Smalling.
Yeah, it is a shame.

It would be nice if he makes one last move in Europe before he retires. I think Ajax will start to invest in younger talents again, for the positions he plays in (Bassey, Wijndal).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
To think this guy was an alternative to Timber. :eek:

Now don’t get me wrong Timber looks a talent but I can’t imagine him being anywhere near as good as Martinez, this guy has been sensational so far. I love him. :drool:
This is what I said. Martinez is better than Timber and a left footed CB. There was no way Ten Hag could have liked Timber over Martinez unless he wanted to sign both.

mu4c_20le

To think this guy was an alternative to Timber. :eek:

Now don’t get me wrong Timber looks a talent but I can’t imagine him being anywhere near as good as Martinez, this guy has been sensational so far. I love him. :drool:
Did you watch him for Netherlands? Martinez may be slightly better now but he's younger and obviously has a higher ceiling. I'm happy with Licha though he's exactly what we needed.

macheda14

This is what I said. Martinez is better than Timber and a left footed CB. There was no way Ten Hag could have liked Timber over Martinez unless he wanted to sign both.
We were in for him before we expressed our interest in Martinez. Then LVG swayed him to stay at Ajax to ensure he played.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did you watch him for Netherlands? Martinez may be slightly better now but he's younger and obviously has a higher ceiling. I'm happy with Licha though he's exactly what we needed.
I mean Martinez is 24 only. Timber is fantastic, but not as good on the ball playing out from the back and Martinez I think was just far more suited to us. Timber has big potential,and there's probably a chance we go back in for him eventually as a Varane replacement (though I'd have big height concerns there).

However it came about, the right decision was definitely made with Martinez.

HookedOnAPhelan

Martinez is better but the difference isn't that crazy.

Also, the best ball playing defender in world football to me is Blind, up there with Trent probably, who's more volatile.

Blind has enough shortcomings but his vision and passing is just wonderful. You can't teach that.
Blind is excellent, I was fuming when Mourinho sold him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Martinez is better but the difference isn't that crazy.

Also, the best ball playing defender in world football to me is Blind, up there with Trent probably, who's more volatile.

Blind has enough shortcomings but his vision and passing is just wonderful. You can't teach that.
Yeh I really like Blind and he was under appreciated in a Utd shirt. Add that to the list of horrible mistakes Mourinho caused at this club, the toxic Cnut.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
OK, let me temper my enthusiasm, best CB pairing in the PL right now?
We're playing the deepest defensive line in the league and the wins have been very narrow. It's far too early to be making claims like that. He's been impressive, particularly on the ball these last few games but the hype is going overboard.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
In all seriousness, who do people think is the best CB in the league at the moment? I'm sort of leaning towards Romero at Spurs personally.

Thiago Silva, Koulibaly, Dias, Martinez, Varane, Van Dijk, Matip based on either their form or their class have to be regarded as top defenders, but not sure there's a standout and perhaps Romero is edging it?

I think soon though we'll be looking at Saliba as one of the best if he keeps improving, perhaps even the best.

On another note, do Argentina play a back 4? Martinez and Romero has to be one of the best CB partnerships going doesn't it? Holland and France obviously have great options as well but those 2 feel like they should complement each other really well.

El-Manos

For me varane is the better defender but Martinez is easier on the eye with his passing & aggression.

IFC 1905

In all seriousness, who do people think is the best CB in the league at the moment? I'm sort of leaning towards Romero at Spurs personally.

Thiago Silva, Koulibaly, Dias, Martinez, Varane, Van Dijk, Matip based on either their form or their class have to be regarded as top defenders, but not sure there's a standout and perhaps Romero is edging it?

I think soon though we'll be looking at Saliba as one of the best if he keeps improving, perhaps even the best.

On another note, do Argentina play a back 4? Martinez and Romero has to be one of the best CB partnerships going doesn't it? Holland and France obviously have great options as well but those 2 feel like they should complement each other really well.

Argentina do play back 4 with Romero and Otanendi being the CBs, although I think Licha will end up being the starter. And he gets along really well with Cuti

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Argentina do play back 4 with Romero and Otanendi being the CBs, although I think Licha will end up being the starter. And he gets along really well with Cuti
You can't start Otamendi over this guy, would be madness.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Looks another good performance. Think we’ve really landed on our feet with this one!

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
So Carragher has recently written that Martinez should just avoid Haaland on Sunday as he will be outmuscled by him, completely ignoring the fact that he did a fine job against him in the Dortmund-Ajax game in recent times.

I really hope he keeps Haaland quiet throughout the game and shuts up these pundits. After having such a good start they still dont think he's cut out to make it as a CB in the premier league

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So Carragher has recently written that Martinez should just avoid Haaland on Sunday as he will be outmuscled by him, completely ignoring the fact that he did a fine job against him in the Dortmund-Ajax game in recent times.

I really hope he keeps Haaland quiet throughout the game and shuts up these pundits. After having such a good start they still dont think he's cut out to make it as a CB in the premier league
Pundits are absolutely desperate for Martinez to get bullied by Haaland, just to try and justify their early "hot take" after the Brentford game. Ignoring the fact that he bullies defenders that are well over 6ft etc etc.

The moment Martinez is beaten in the air for a goal its all we'll hear about, and it won't matter if he's been faultless in the games beforehand.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Pundits are absolutely desperate for Martinez to get bullied by Haaland, just to try and justify their early "hot take" after the Brentford game. Ignoring the fact that he bullies defenders that are well over 6ft etc etc.

The moment Martinez is beaten in the air for a goal its all we'll hear about, and it won't matter if he's been faultless in the games beforehand.
Isn't it funny that he has the best aerial duel success% out of all the top CBs? At least it was before the postponed games. Desperation is the best description for non-United pundits

A-man

Isn't it funny that he has the best aerial duel success% out of all the top CBs? At least it was before the postponed games. Desperation is the best description for non-United pundits
Isn't it funny that he has won zero (0) aerials in all Premier League matches except against Liverpool?

Stats from Whoscored.com

Chief123

OK, let me temper my enthusiasm, best CB pairing in the PL right now?
You changed your tune. You were on the bandwagon saying Newcastle had a better team than us a few weeks ago. Now we’ve got the best CB pairing in the league.

Chief123

Isn't it funny that he has won zero (0) aerials in all Premier League matches except against Liverpool?

Stats from Whoscored.com
Well that’s clearly a load of bollocks as you can see from the video. They won’t even include some of these because his anticipation is much better than the attackers.

They probably won’t count some as an aerial duel if Martinez anticipates the high ball before the striker and is the only one to jump. That’s a strength in itself.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Stats from Whoscored.com
Who would you prefer to contest for an aerial? Pogba or prime Roy Keane?

Same way, I would prefer to have Martinez in an aerial over most of our defenders. Martinez might not beat Haaland in a 50/50 duel. But I dont trust Varane or Lindelof to do that either. But I trust that Martinez would make it very difficult for Haaland to get a good header on goal. Same way Roy Keane would.

(Smalling had the same issue. Looked great statistically, but very often ball watching and sometimes to confident on his own physique.)

HookedOnAPhelan

Stats from Whoscored.com
If that’s true it would only prove what a pointless stat it is.

It’s entirely possible that Martinez will lose physical or aerial duels against Haaland, he’s outmuscled far bigger and stronger players than Martinez. But anyone still beating the ‘too small to play CB in the PL’ drum is a dopey moron. Awareness, intelligence, timing, aggression and quality on the ball are far more important attributes for a modern CB than height, and he has those in abundance.

Would it be an advantage if he had a few extra centimeters? Obviously. And there will be times where that might cost him/us. But nothing so far seems to suggest that it’s a major issue for him.

Stadjer

Im afraid that will stay a thing for a very very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.