Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I genuinely love the guy but why not wait to see how he comes back from injury first?

ForeverRed1

We got him until 2027 no? Anything could happen between now and then, he could be riddled with injury for all we know, then yet again we got a injury prone player on a massive
Contract that we can’t move on. Id
Wait abit. Once you reward a top contract there’s nowhere else to go. Players have made it. They’re happy to sit on it. Leave some
Wriggle room and reward it with consistency and trophies.

Real Name

We got him until 2027 no? Anything could happen between now and then, he could be riddled with injury for all we know, then yet again we got a injury prone player on a massive
Contract that we can’t move on. Id
Wait abit. Once you reward a top contract there’s nowhere else to go. Players have made it. They’re happy to sit on it. Leave some
Wriggle room and reward it with consistency and trophies.
Is it a massive contract?
And you're suggesting he should be on the same salary till 2027? Being paid less than Maguire.

Rake

We have not learned our lesson... Although Lisando is my PotY, it is plain stupid to offer him a new and improved contract at this stage. Wait at least one more season.

And you're suggesting he should be on the same salary till 2027? Being paid less than Maguire.
He agreed to those terms less than an year ago. The idea that he somehow might be surprised or outraged that he might stay on his current deal for a few years more is bonkers. Maguire's salary was a mistake not a bar to reach for future contracts.

Real Name

We have not learned our lesson... Although Lisando is my PotY, it is plain stupid to offer him a new and improved contract at this stage. Wait at least one more season.

He agreed to those terms less than an year ago. The idea that he somehow might be surprised or outraged that he might stay on his current deal for a few years more is bonkers. Maguire's salary was a mistake not a bar to reach for future contracts.
Why exactly is that bonkers?

ForeverRed1

Harry maguire played every single game of the premier league in his first season with us. The first United player since pallister (1995)to start every game and we had the third best defence that season behind city and liverpool. If I remember correct he even won man of the match in his prem debut against Chelsea. It’s actually unbelievable the decline we have seen with him, worrying actually. I’m not for one second saying Martinez is maguire. He isn’t. He is a mentality monster (and one of my fave united players actually). He’s on 120k a week so I’m assuming he will be bought up in line with top earners? Which is fine, he is brilliant.. I’d maybe just like to see another top class season (or even wait until January and get another half season under belt) before we throw longer contracts at first season players, as brilliant as they are, things in football can change very quickly. You don’t need to be so quick to do it, see Bruno as a perfect example, had had a couple seasons of being good to get his extension. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Real Name

Harry maguire played every single game of the premier league in his first season with us. The first United player since pallister (1995)to start every game and we had the third best defence that season behind city and liverpool. If I remember correct he even won man of the match in his prem debut against Chelsea. It’s actually unbelievable the decline we have seen with him, worrying actually. I’m not for one second saying Martinez is maguire. He isn’t. He is a mentality monster (and one of my fave united players actually). He’s on 120k a week so I’m assuming he will be bought up in line with top earners? Which is fine, he is brilliant.. I’d maybe just like to see another top class season (or even wait until January and get another half season under belt) before we throw longer contracts at first season players, as brilliant as they are, things in football can change very quickly. You don’t need to be so quick to do it, see Bruno as a perfect example, had had a couple seasons of being good to get his extension. Nothing wrong with that imo.
So next summer it will be all right?
I mean nothing wrong with that yes, but dont get posters going crazy about it.
Its not that we're giving it to undeserving player and its not that we'll go bust.

ForeverRed1

So next summer it will be all right?
I mean nothing wrong with that yes, but dont get posters going crazy about it.
Its not that we're giving it to undeserving player and its not that we'll go bust.
no, and I for one won’t if they up his contract. I love the guy, his mentality and energy, we need more of him. You can’t deny though, we have been pretty terrible with contracts over recent years, so I guess it’s fair to say I think we need to change our strategy a little. Rewarding players after a season is fine but not overly necessary. There is no panic with a player who is contracted until 2027 and hasn’t had even a full season here yet.

Bondi77

I wish we started reducing contracts when a player is not doing enough.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You have no idea what terms he agreed to. There’s a good chance they included a clause to review his contract after his first season with a view to doing what they’ve just done. Rewarding a player who’s met or exceeded all possible expectations. And, as I said earlier, we’re on a recruitment drive this summer and this will be encouraging to anyone else who is thinking about signing for the club.

Bondi77

Player contracts are reduced 20-25% based on CL.
That is not fair on the ones that play well.
If a player is doing feck all or is injured all the time then those individuals are the ones that need to be scrutinised.

julianfr

Ok I'm really confused. Brilliant as he's been why are we offering a new contract when the current one isn't even a year in? Didn't we do the same with Bruno as well?

I'm curious as to the motivation behind this. Have there been any rumors of him being courted by other clubs or did we sign him on a 1 year contract initially?

Revan

Assumptionman
WHO?! Seriously, who is going to to come in for him this summer, especially considering he his injured until pre-season? No one!

What if multiple teams come in for him next summer after a decent season... He'll have another 3 years left on his contract. If he throws his toys out the pram about wanting a move (which will show his true colours), we demand a highly inflated fee of at least £80m and make a profit for once. If a fee can't be agreed, then clearly those clubs (Real Madrid, PSG) don't want him enough and we restore power. He can either sulk in the reserves (unlikely) or accept our then improved contract offer and continue playing.

Regardless of whether the Glazers continue (**shudder**) or new owners come in, the wage structure at the club needs to be reset. Just because a new signing has a good season as a key player does not mean they should instantly be looking at the salary ladder. We're Manchester United. Despite our current turmoil, there are still only a limited few clubs who could attract our players away with fame and fortune. We offer that in their first contract, so a much bigger wage is all that will appear more attractive. In addition, Real Madrid and PSG both seem to be on paths to rebuild with youth and have financial restrictions of their own, so let's see one of them double Martinez's contract.

He's under contract. Honour the bloody contract (at least for 2-3 seasons).
Completely agree. He has another 4 years in his contract (and I guess another +1 option) so there is absolutely no need to give him a new contract this early. Also, he is hardly on peanuts, 120k/week is an ok salary. Just cause we overpay for Maguire doesn’t need that we have to overpay for every defender we buy.

But then, it is the same club who have 370k/week to Sancho and 250k/week to Martial, so what can you expect. The most insecure club to have ever existed.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm suggesting what I suggested. You have no idea if teams are interested in Lisandro and wont be able to predict every CB that teams go for. The club are a lot more likely to know about interest, and tying him down suggests there was enough to warrant it.
He has a contract for another 4-5 years though. Why does it matter if some clubs might be interested in him? We hold all cards.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Ok I'm really confused. Brilliant as he's been why are we offering a new contract when the current one isn't even a year in? Didn't we do the same with Bruno as well?

I'm curious as to the motivation behind this. Have there been any rumors of him being courted by other clubs or did we sign him on a 1 year contract initially?
I am assuming his wages are rather low compared to some of the other regular starters on the team. Improving his wages to reflect the fact that he has been brilliant and arguably the player of the year for us seems fair, and shows appreciation for what he is doing.

Blood Mage

Really hope he doesn't lose anything physically from his injury but that's probably just an irrational fear I have. Can't wait to see him back.

Bondi77

It is baffling isn't it?
I mean he has played well but surely he is playing as well as we should expect given we paid 50mil quid for the guy.
It is as if the board are so surprised that a player has actually played well that they want to give him even more money.
Fecking madness!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That is not fair on the ones that play well.
If a player is doing feck all or is injured all the time then those individuals are the ones that need to be scrutinised.
Playing well is subjective, also why would player agree to take pay cut.

Bondi77

Playing well is subjective, also why would player agree to take pay cut.
He has pride in his performance as a professional footballer so he backs himself that he will not be one of those that is scrutinised.
I assume we are paying them big bucks for a reason.

edgecutter

A bit premature giving a new contract to a player that has only arrived. Does he deserve it? Probably? Do we need to do it? Absolutely not, as he still has 4 years remaining on his current deal.

Limmit

Maybe part of his contract states that his wages would be reviewed after one year. A lot of employers put that clause into a contract.

roonster09

Scout
He has pride in his performance as a professional footballer so he backs himself that he will not be one of those that is scrutinised.
I assume we are paying them big bucks for a reason.
Whole world called Maguire shit and he came out with interview saying "if I was bad, managers wouldn't have played me" and you expect players to take pay cut based on subjective "played well" opinion.

It's just not realistic at all. Not just in football, it's not possible in most jobs.

justsomebloke

Whole world called Maguire shit and he came out with interview saying "if I was bad, managers wouldn't have played me" and you expect players to take pay cut based on subjective "played well" opinion.

It's just not realistic at all. Not just in football, it's not possible in most jobs.
Also, Maguire isn't actually that well-paid for a United player. According to Capology.com, he's the 10th highest earner in the squad - essentially in the middle of the pack.

roonster09

Scout
Also, Maguire isn't actually that well-paid for a United player. According to Capology.com, he's the 10th highest earner in the squad - essentially in the middle of the pack.
Usually i don't believe these sites.

Point was would Maguire agree to reduce his wages based on last year performance? No way, no one would. That's just unrealistic ask.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
‘No better than any other player we spent £50 million on…’ Really? Christ, he’s probably been better than several of them while spread out on a hospital bed!
Exactly. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say he could be our best signing since RVP. How many £70m, £80m or £90m players have we signed since then? How many have made a real difference the way Licha has? Laughable comment saying he's no better than any other £50m we've signed .

If there's one player that deserves a pay raise considering the wage he's on it's Licha and I have to add i think he's the only player that would deserve it.

justsomebloke

Usually i don't believe these sites.

Point was would Maguire agree to reduce his wages based on last year performance? No way, no one would. That's just unrealistic ask.
Don't see any particular issues with those figures - at least I haven't seen conflicting information, that I can recall.

Yeah, you're right about that. (Except for the 25% non-PL reduction which is apparently written into most contracts).

justsomebloke

Capology numbers aren’t accurate.
Okay. But their United overview seems at least plausible, and they do have a methodical approach to estimating and are open about how they do it. It's the same figures you find everywhere else (although of course that doesn't necessarily mean they ultimately have more than one source).

In any case, even if we dismiss them, where is the basis for assuming Maguire is very highly paid in United's squad?

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Martinez is hardly the problem as he's been very good for us but this kind of management is exactly why we are as shit as we are. The minute you put in some good performances, a new massive contract is coming your way - and it's the best case scenario because sometimes we are willing to offer that without the performance bit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I would assume they want to get to a point where wages actually reflect status with the team.

As in if you come in, perform and become a key player, you get paid like a key player. Football isn't separate from the general rule that workers are happier and more motivated when they're getting paid what they're worth. As opposed to being a key player in the side but knowing so many lesser players still get paid more and will do for the next several years.

As an approach it would certainly make United more attractive for new signings. "If you come here not only do you get this increase in pay, but based on your performances you could quickly get a raise"

Status
Not open for further replies.