Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I reckon he's going to play holding DM with both full back bombing on and Maguire and Varane moving wider and level with him, rather than him dropping back. He'll also be the one to provide the quick long ball as opposed to de Jong dribbling out, so we'll always have options when playing out.

I think the defense will step up as a group and push really high, fullbacks becoming auxiliary wingers, a bit like the dippers.
DM is a possibility and I can see the potential in what you've said. The one thing I will say is that our fullbacks were tucking in quite a lot against Liverpool, in front of the CBs. How this will influence his role remains to be seen, unless an Ajax fan can comment. It might create a hybrid CB/CM type role for him. Depending on what ETH likes to do with his tactics.

The United

What if Maguire was transformed to play as a DM?

On a serious note, his height is a concern for defending high balls in EPL, but he can still be good at other areas. I am not exactly too comfortable with our back line whenever high balls come in.

Tiber

Glad to finally be reaching the end of this one. Bit apprehensive that he seems to have been our second choice CB from the same team, but Ten Hag clearly must rate him

Jacob

Quite excited about this one. Him and De Jong are about as press resistant as you can get. This will help us enormously as we try to dominate more and more.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hope it works out, Argies don't have a good record at United. :nervous:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Him and de Jong are important signings for the manager imo. Build up play is critical in ETH's system. Those two signings together will improve our build up play, which helps a lot for ETH to play the way how he wants to play.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Get in. Heard nothing but good things and I think he'll be excellent here. Left footed CB who is excellent with build up play finally.

copen1945

Despite my reservation about him for the obvious reason, I hope he would improve our backline, which couldn't have been any worse than what was seen last season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How many teeny tiny itsy bitsy great centre backs have there been? Cannavaro?
Maybe not a great but Azpilicieta has been one of the best defenders in the league over the last decade including in long stints as a CB and he's just 5ft 10.

Granted he's nearly always been a CB in a back three but then you can equally argue that ETH's style of play also helps protect smaller CBs like Martinez, albeit in a different way.

Unam333

Has this interview been posted and translated before?

There's a part about his height. People having doubts about him being a central defender, him saying that timing is very important and he worked extra hard on his timing. He comes across very well. Very likeable and articulate.

Wrecking ralf

Can we please stop with thr height issue. Defenders don't have to defend high balls for 90 minutes. Also, how many teams play with 2 tall strikers? If there is one in a team we play that could cause an issue then our other CB will be marking that player. His 1 on 1 defending is better than all of our centre backs , his positional awareness is better than most, his passing is incredible and he knows the system coming into the team. He wouldn't be signed if he wasn't an upgrade on some of our current players or if ETH thought he wouldn't be able to play in this league. He also allows us the option of playing a back 3 which would allow him to push into midfield slightly as he has played there (i know ETH didn't prefer him there) and join FDJ in building play with our wing backs actually providing effective width. Hes a great signing and a lot of you will be surprised by how well he converts to the EPL.

Skills

Snitch

Compared to other defenders in the Dutch league.
If he's actually solid in the air, the height thing might play in our favour. Like the time, some PL teams heard that DDG had a weakness against long shots so they spent games just peppering our goal from 30 yards away before they realised its a bit of a stupid strategy.

The fact that he's comfortably better than Blind, who didn't really struggle is reassuring.

Grande

Hope it works out, Argies don't have a good record at United. :nervous:
Our best second goalkeeper since Raimond van der Gouw begs to differ!

Carlos Tevez and Gabriel Heinze also played very well, they just didn’t last long nor leave amicably :)

Marcos Rojo did as well as one should expect.

Veron was quite good most games, just never as good as his price tag (coming and going).

Di Maria, nuff said.

Garnacho and Martinez will have each other ;)

Grande

Compared to other defenders in the Dutch league.
Interesting stats that should surprise many. Particularily given that Ajax spend most of their time in the oppo half and there are no other players to take the heat of him (look at Timber and Blind for comparison).

Tjere are a few NT CBs there, and this is supposed (by quite a few) to be his prime weakness.

marktan

Has this interview been posted and translated before?

There's a part about his height. People having doubts about him being a central defender, him saying that timing is very important and he worked extra hard on his timing. He comes across very well. Very likeable and articulate.
Timing won't matter when big Chris Wood uses him as a launch pad. He'll be starting at the big man in wonder the way year 7s look at year 11s.

Status
Not open for further replies.