Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibi Dreams

Expensive fee, hope he's worth it.

I'm curious about Timber. We seemed to want Timber originally, and the price seemed to be cheaper than what we're paying for Martinez. Timber cooled on the move and we switched to Martinez instead for a higher price? Slightly odd all round

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Expensive fee, hope he's worth it.

I'm curious about Timber. We seemed to want Timber originally, and the price seemed to be cheaper than what we're paying for Martinez. Timber cooled on the move and we switched to Martinez instead for a higher price? Slightly odd all round
Timber swiped the other way

flappyjay

That is an absolutely incredible fee for a defender from the Dutch league, who isn’t even a regular starter for his national team & has huge question marks over his suitability for PL football.

I desperately hope he proves the doubts completely wrong & goes on to be a wonderful signing and doesn’t instead become Erik’s version of Wan Bissaka/Maguire. He’s taking a big risk here, let’s just hope it pays off.
Especially since Erik stuck his neck out and vetoed the scouts choice in Pau Torres. If his deals go sideways the club will trust his choices less next summer.

flappyjay

I don't understand your point about accountants and financial experts. What are you trying to say? Fans shouldn't worry because Accountants look after it?? Money doesn't grow on trees, it's the Glazers not the Saudis/Emiratis writing blank cheques. If United overpaying for Martinez and FdJ of course they have to make sacrifices on their other target positions. By overpaying on those fees, they might have ruled themselves out from making a Malacia style signing at right back for example.
I bet Barcelona fans used to not care what the club did with its money now they are out there auctioning off their future revenues. I don't understand how people say we shouldn't care when the club is acting carelessly with its finances.

Shiva87

He didn't say that of course, I was parodying Van Gaal's comments regarding his similar predicament with Rooney. Ten Hag did say that Maguire was going to be Captain and lauded him as an important player that's "achieved many things", so my guess is he intends for him to be one of his starting CBs.
I don't think so. He said Maguire is the captain and said some words to boost his confidence. Didn't say anything about Harry being an automatic starter.

He has Varane - who will definitely start when fit - and one more CB position now to fill between Lissandro, Mcguire, Bailly, Lindelof. He'll keep them all playing some minutes in different tournaments. We need some depth there after the shambles of our defense last season.

My guess would be that the priority is as follows:

1. Varane
2. Lissandro
3. McGuire
4. Lindelof
5. Bailly.

With Bailly playing two excellent halfs in preseason, he may get above Lindelof and put some pressure on Harry's position.

Blood Mage

There were times when Rojo actually looked very good, sadly he was even more crocked and erratic than Bailly.

Status
Not open for further replies.