Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
You would think that quote would settle it, he is not being signed as a DM. Maybe he'll offer some flexibility but pretty clearly ETH is buying him as a centre half. Which is... interesting. I would be curious to see how he does. It feels a bit like an experiment to have such a strangely short central defender that is great in passing. But if he's a top manager then he wouldn't necessarily always do the obvious things, he has a strong opinion and it's a bit outside the box to go for this in the PL.
you think people here read any other comments? In all the Ajax player transfer threads i've seen an average of 10 posts per day asking if the player could play X position.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Power does. We’ve all seen Lindelof get thrown around like a dog toy. Aggression is a big part of it, Keano wasn’t the tallest after all, but if you’re smaller you’re going to struggle against more powerful strikers aren’t you.
So what makes you think Martinez won’t play CB but instead will be used as a midfield based on ‘’power’’? You just gave example of Lindelof who is 187cm but still has no power, while Keane who is 178cm has more power than Lindelof so power has nothing to do with height.

In addition to my comment, hope this tweet helps.

House Mkhitaryan

ETH playing the long game here with that quote. He said it to scare off other clubs from signing him as a DM, when the plan all along was to get the Manchester United job and swoop in for him with a lowball offer. He knew none of the clubs with big money would be splashing out on a 5'1" CB. Well played, you bald genius!

Irwin99

So Maguire Varane Lindelof and Martinez.

Looking forward to the Argentina chants again if it happens :D

Big Andy

Bloke
So Maguire Varane Lindelof and Martinez.

Looking forward to the Argentina chants again if it happens :D
None of our other Argies have really done very well, or they turned out to be a snake.

Tevez - Snake
Di Maria - Snake
Heinze - Snake
Veron - Shite
Rojo - Shite
Romero - decent back up
Garnacho - TBC

Dazzmondo

If we do sign him are we going to have to suffer years of “his best position is DM” despite him barely ever playing there similar to the Blind discussions
He could be our Player of the Year playing all 38 games at cb and I think this would still be inevitable :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So what makes you think Martinez won’t play CB but instead will be used as a midfield based on ‘’power’’? You just gave example of Lindelof who is 187cm but still has no power, while Keane who is 178cm has more power than Lindelof so power has nothing to do with height.

In addition to my comment, hope this tweet helps.

Interesting. I mean you never know next to Frenkie how he'd see it, but seems pretty clear that Ten Hag likes him for LCB. Given Ornstein reported on it, I'd say it's quite likely this eventually goes through. Will be interesting to see who Ten Hag sees as his main CB partner, Maguire or Varane. Massive difference on the ball in the build up having first a left footed CB, but also one like him who is by all accounts quite good on the ball, aggressive, agile, etc.

Its funny but I didn't see us buying a CB or a LB this summer, and they might be our first 2 signings. Thought it was a next year thing.

Irwin99

None of our other Argies have really done very well, or they turned out to be a snake.

Tevez - Snake
Di Maria - Snake
Heinze - Snake
Veron - Shite
Rojo - Shite
Romero - decent back up
Garnacho - TBC
That's true actually and City seem to have got the better and more loyal ones. Still love the Argentina chants though.

Abraxas

Tevez - Snake
Di Maria - Snake
Heinze - Snake
Veron - Shite
Rojo - Shite
Romero - decent back up
Garnacho - TBC
Snake and shite seems applicable to Di Maria. He never settled into a convincing role in the side and there was endless speculation as to how we should play him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Interesting. I mean you never know next to Frenkie how he'd see it, but seems pretty clear that Ten Hag likes him for LCB. Given Ornstein reported on it, I'd say it's quite likely this eventually goes through. Will be interesting to see who Ten Hag sees as his main CB partner, Maguire or Varane. Massive difference on the ball in the build up having first a left footed CB, but also one like him who is by all accounts quite good on the ball, aggressive, agile, etc.

Its funny but I didn't see us buying a CB or a LB this summer, and they might be our first 2 signings. Thought it was a next year thing.
It’s funny because mine is the opposite of yours because I want United to sign midfield, CB, and LB as the priorities area this summer required for improvement (I believed Dalot has chance under ten Hag while Telles is not good at all to cover Shaw’s fitness or injury issue) and we are likely getting them.

DSG

I don’t really get why ETH really wants him that badly. He is a decent defender, but pretty wild and weak in the air. But what works for him is his aggression. Timber had a lot more potential.
Okay, more info. Others have said he’s great in the air and won 71% of his duels. You’ve ostensibly watched him as you live in the Netherlands. Which is it? Why do you say he’s weak in the air?

Dazzmondo

Gonna be super weird when everyone is debating whether Martinez will play cb or dm in the 1st pre season friendly, only for Lindelof to line up alongside Frenkie

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It’s funny because mine is the opposite of yours because I want United to sign midfield, CB, and LB as the priorities area this summer required for improvement (I believed Dalot has chance under ten Hag while Telles is not good at all to cover Shaw’s fitness or injury issue) and we are likely getting them.
For me priorities were CM (de Jong), RW, RB. Figured we could make do with our LB options and CB options. Shaw i think will be good if fit, while telles is shit but as backup, meh, there's worse. Bad luck to need a backup to play as much as he did more than anything. RB i have little hope from Dalot or AWB. On the wings I have no doubt with Sancho, have hope Rashford can find form again but even then, you want someone else at a similar level who is a natural on the right so they can fight for the position. Elanga should be like .. the 4th winger, not a starter or first backup.

Anyway, I wanted malacia and i hope we sell Telles now, this one is a lot of money for a questionable importance, but i like his profile and we still needed a CB, just probably could wait a year. Maybe we still address RW and RB anyway!

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
If this guy isn't set to be our DM then I'm a bit bamboozled to be honest.

We're not even linked with any DMs, my brain can't compute the notion that we might not sign an out-and-out defensive midfielder.

Seems mental.

Blood Mage

In an ideal world where direct balls over the top were banned I'd love to see him and Lindelof form a partnership. They'd basically be playmakers from the back.

DSG

If Varane's fit Maguire's status of captain cant be enough to keep him out of the team. Only way Maguire plays is if Varane's injured imo. Lindelof obviously becomes 4th choice as well
The more I think about it, the more I believe Ten Hag will play 3 at the back. Maguire’ s faults are mitigated in that formation. Lisandro plays on the left with speedy LWBs Shaw and Malacia tracking back and for RWB, speedy Varane will be on that side to deal with the poor positioning of AWB?

Also, with 3 at the back, you can play Fred or Scotty next to FDJ as you don’t need a classic DM. Is it a 3-5-2 with Sancho and Ronaldo ahead of Bruno in the hole?

UnitedFire

If we do sign him are we going to have to suffer years of “his best position is DM” despite him barely ever playing there similar to the Blind discussions
To be fair he'll be playing DM as a CB if Ten Hag gets the system working properly. Both CBs pushed up to DM, but quick enough to get back.

We then don't have a DM, we have 3 midfielders/ attacking midfielders so we can overload the attack. Among all that running you'll have Ronaldo banging them in like Sheringham with no need to do running himself.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
About the size of Minamino

And look at Minamino among his teammates

dinostar77

I don’t really get why ETH really wants him that badly. He is a decent defender, but pretty wild and weak in the air. But what works for him is his aggression. Timber had a lot more potential.
Just look at his stats from a few pages back. He is a passing machine with very high accuracy for a CB and very accurate with cross field balls from left cb position out to the right wing. Also a tenacious dogged defender. Its no coincidence that both martinez and malacia have been refered to as tenacious and determined defenders. Described as pitbulls by their teammates.

dinostar77

I think EtH is being very deliberate with his targets here. It seems he has identified our biggest problem was building up from the back so he is working first to improve in those areas. Very encouraging to say the least.
There was a good video i saw last night which highlighted 3 of utds biggest deficiencies of past few seasons. 1) building up from the back 2) chance creation in final third of the pitch and 3) lack of a top quality ball winner in midfield. 1) looks like its being addressed by signings such as frenkie, martinez and malacia. 2) erikson (if he comes) and if we can land a ready to go right winger will also be addressed. 3) remains a mystery.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I can't say for sure, but I think he'll be utilised as a CB. His ability to thread the lines whilst being in the first line, would be more effective for us if we have de Jong as the first receiver in midfield.

I think our biggest struggle has been to progress play from deeper areas, especially against the opposition press. And someone like Martinez will help us in that regard. I think his height is less of a issue compared to the goalkeeper we have who doesn't attempt to command his area or some of our CBs who are weak against the opponent's transition, whilst defending a large space. So that has meant we've played a reactive brand of football on the counter attack with a safety in numbers approach. And we can't carry on playing like that under ten Hag.
Cheers, both.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If this guy isn't set to be our DM then I'm a bit bamboozled to be honest.

We're not even linked with any DMs, my brain can't compute the notion that we might not sign an out-and-out defensive midfielder.

Seems mental.
I still think he'll be in our midfield this season, at least until we buy some more midfielders, personally.

LoneStar

The more I think about it, the more I believe Ten Hag will play 3 at the back. Maguire’ s faults are mitigated in that formation. Lisandro plays on the left with speedy LWBs Shaw and Malacia tracking back and for RWB, speedy Varane will be on that side to deal with the poor positioning of AWB?

Also, with 3 at the back, you can play Fred or Scotty next to FDJ as you don’t need a classic DM. Is it a 3-5-2 with Sancho and Ronaldo ahead of Bruno in the hole?
But then our other targets mentioned - Antony, Eriksen don't fit in well there. BH ut then with a back 4, we would have 4 decent CBs who would all expect to start or feature heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.