Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Ospina; Debuchy, Koscielny, Sakho, Gibbs; Henderson, Ramsey; Sanchez, Ozil, Coutinho; Giroud.

Based on form, that has to be the team. Sturridge has been gash since returning and Giroud has been in very good form. Also Coutinho has way outperformed Sterling this year. He won their player of the month three times in a row. Ospina over Szczesny/Migs is pretty easy and Gibbs over Moreno isn't hard considering the clusterfeck of a performance the latter had against us.
Sturridge hasn't been gash, just not great and nowhere near the standard he set last year. A fit and firing Daniel Sturridge is a level above Giroud. Think Cazorla's been Arsenal's best player so would have him in front of Ozil, otherwise that's an excellent team.

HabeasC

Sturridge hasn't been gash, just not great and nowhere near the standard he set last year. A fit and firing Daniel Sturridge is a level above Giroud. Think Cazorla's been Arsenal's best player so would have him in front of Ozil, otherwise that's an excellent team.
I was a bit harsh on Sturridge, but I think on form you have to put Giroud in. Yeah, it was tough not putting him in, but even though I'm not the biggest fan of Ozil, he has been immense since the turn of the year and should probably be in the team. The problem is that together the two teams have some very good attacking midfielders, enough so that a three of Sterling - Carzorla - Walcott would also be very good.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I was a bit harsh on Sturridge, but I think on form you have to put Giroud in. Yeah, it was tough not putting him in, but even though I'm not the biggest fan of Ozil, he has been immense since the turn of the year and should probably be in the team. The problem is that together the two teams have some very good attacking midfielders, enough so that a three of Sterling - Carzorla - Walcott would also be very good.
True enough. I picked...

Sterling Ozil Sanchez
Giroud

But

Carzorla Coutinho Ox
Sturridge

Is also awesome... Theo and Ibe on the bench.

HabeasC

True enough. I picked...

Sterling Ozil Sanchez
Giroud

But

Carzorla Coutinho Ox
Sturridge

Is also awesome... Theo and Ibe on the bench.
Interesting that you chose Sterling over Coutinho, any particular reason? For me Coutinho has been better than Sterling this season and I don't think that it is obvious who will have the better career overall.

ZDwyr

I think I would seriously consider playing Lucas if I was Rodgers. He was very impressive before his injury, and Allen was awful against us (though I know he was good in the few games before that).

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Interesting that you chose Sterling over Coutinho, any particular reason? For me Coutinho has been better than Sterling this season and I don't think that it is obvious who will have the better career overall.
Coutinho has been the better player this season, but I prefer him in the #10 position rather than to either side, and Ozil is a better player than Cou is.

Ozil with the pace & trickiness of Sterling & Sanchez either side of him is a frightening prospect. He thrived at Madrid because he could play intelligent balls to pacey players like CR7... It just pains me that, if we do ever see those three together, it'll be at Arsenal :nervous:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I think I would seriously consider playing Lucas if I was Rodgers. He was very impressive before his injury, and Allen was awful against us (though I know he was good in the few games before that).
Allen's a strange one he's either 9/10 or 3/10, when in reality a player of his skill-set you'd expect to give you a solid 7/10 every week.

Rafateria

Echo :

What effect would Sterling's departure have on Liverpool?
  • A bit: He's a good young player but we have others in the squad - plus we will have a big fee to spend -
    46%

• Not much: We've yet to see him really realise his potential and we have the likes of Jordon Ibe -
    29%

• Hard: He's a talented young player and we have yet to see the best of him -
    20%

• A catastrophe: You need to keep your best players -
    5%

Sparky Rhiwabon

It would be a pretty stupid thing to do, in my opinion. If he's fit, he has to play.
We need all 3pts tomorrow, anything short of that and it's effectively game over for us. If Raheem Sterling on the pitch gives us the best chance of that, then Raheem Sterling should and will play.
So, effectively Sterling *has* become bigger than the club in your opinion. I can't imagine the great managers of the past letting him get away with that - Shankly, Fergie - or LVG for that matter. Even Tony Pulis put his best player on the bench recently (Berahino) for speaking out of turn.

I'm sure Brendan is bigger than that?

VanGaalEra

Coutinho has been playing in his favoured position, whereas Sterling has been pushed to wingback and has been moved around.

IMO that's the main reason for Coutinho having a better season (last 3 months, before that Sterling was better).

montpelier

I was trawling RAWK for purposes of taking the piss & found this, which is an interesting/excellent summary of Raheem-gate, imo

I find this all very strange. People seem to be getting very excited about a too talkative player and his agent (who the hell gives a 30 minute interview about his contractual situation anyway). I would add that I wish the manager would talk a little less as well, but hey ho, he likes to gab. All this should have been in-house, but now its out there (in an interview with the BBC that lasted 30 minutes, ffs, the game is dead, dead I tell thee) we may as well talk about it I guess.

A few observations I would like to make.

- Yes, as (prev poster has noted), Liverpool are 5th richest in terms of revenue in the league... but not by much. United's revenue dwarfs everyone elses, but Arsenal, City and Chelsea are not that far ahead in terms of earnings. Yes, the latter two appear to have bottomless pockets, but they still have to balance the books for FFP. That has begun to bite in the last two years and will probably continue to do so in the next few. Meanwhile, Liverpool will increase revenue in the next 5 years, they are increasingly going to be in a position to compete.
- Despite the fact that Liverpool are getting wealthier faster relative to those around them (journos talking of the club going backwards are morons), that doesn't mean they should just meet whatever wage demands are made. Its not just Sterling that are impacted, if he get a wage hike the rest of the players will quickly follow suit.
- However, I don't agree with those complaining about his wage demands. He is right to maximize his money while he can and either the club can afford to pay him or not, after that its just noise.

Personally I think he is being a bit of a moron here. He claims its about trophies, but thats really about PL and CL. That's a load of balls too, when you think about it. 4 English teams have won the CL in 30 years (United, 2, Liverpool, Chelsea) 3 in the last decade (United, Liverpool Chelsea). He's at one of the clubs most likely to actually win one (since they have pedigree, unlike Arsenal and City). If its the PL, then Arsenal haven't won one in a decade and don't look likely to. In fact Liverpool have come closer twice in the last decade (2009, 2014). That leaves City, United and Chelsea, but look who is competing with for places there; Di Maria, Rooney, Mata,RVP at United, Silva, Nasri, Jovetic, Aguero at City and Willian, Hazard, Costa, Fabregas and Cuadrado at Chelsea. Hell, if he plumps for Arsenal he's got Walcott, Chamberlain, Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla to push out.

Perhaps he could go abroad, but lets be honest, he would get eaten alive at Madrid, Barca have a transfer embargo (and he wouldn't get near the team), Bayern would laugh at him, PSG are a basket case. That pretty much accounts for all the teams that can afford to pay him more than Liverpool and are in a position to win something. Maybe Juventus after that, but would they want him? Italy is a graveyard for British players.

No, this is all about whether Sterling wants to go to Arsenal. If he does, good luck getting a regular game and the side won't be much better with him in it (Arsenal need a root and branch overhaul of their backline, not another speedy, lighweight winger). He might fancy City, but they are an old squad and due a slide. It will take time to overhaul that squad as well. If he's dumb enough to go to United after that, well, feck it, who cares in that scenario what he does.

To sum up, Sterling is within his rights to ask for as much as he can get, but he shouldn't have gone public like that. He's also not as good as many think (or he seems to himself), his options aren't as good as he thinks and the club shouldn't be held to ramsom, consequently.

Final, final observation. Rodgers today saying how difficult it is to attract top talent after he spent 20m on Lovren makes me grind my teeth.

montpelier

I also had a ponder about my combined Arse/LFC XI, not finalised, but think it might line up 1-9-1 and doesn't have a GK.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
So, effectively Sterling *has* become bigger than the club in your opinion. I can't imagine the great managers of the past letting him get away with that - Shankly, Fergie - or LVG for that matter. Even Tony Pulis put his best player on the bench recently (Berahino) for speaking out of turn.

I'm sure Brendan is bigger than that?
He's not done anything that outrageous, to be honest. He's postponed contract talks to the summer (probably to see where we end up), and has yet to say anything disparaging about the club, or said outright he's desperate to leave or whatnot.

If we've got more chance of winning with Rodger's himself playing CB, I want him on the pitch.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Moreno is actually an excellent player and comparisons to Buttner are either uneducated or unwarranted. Was pretty shocking to see one of the Top 5 young leftbacks in Europe join Liverpool last season on the back of one semi-successful season by the latter. Sometimes managers or clubs and players just don't mesh, or certain players can't adapt to new leagues, and that seems to be the case with him at Liverpool. He was actually better for Sevilla than Bernat was for Valencia last season and almst unanimously considered a superior talent, and the latter is having a great season for Bayern. Can totally envision Moreno moving back to La Liga if this continues and recapturing his old form.

Ditto for Manquillo. Another quality talent being wasted.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Moreno is actually an excellent player and comparisons to Buttner are either uneducated or unwarranted. Was pretty shocking to see one of the Top 5 young leftbacks in Europe join Liverpool last season on the back of one semi-successful season by the latter. Sometimes managers or clubs and players just don't mesh, or certain players can't adapt to new leagues, and that seems to be the case with him at Liverpool. He was actually better for Sevilla than Bernat was for Valencia last season and almst unanimously considered a superior talent, and the latter is having a great season for Bayern. Can totally envision Moreno moving back to La Liga if this continues and recapturing his old form.

Ditto for Manquillo. Another quality talent being wasted.
He really wasn't considered a better talent than Bernat.

I remember people calling Moreno shite well before he signed for Liverpool and plenty of others wanting to sign Bernat ahead of Shaw. He was always seen as a defensive liability but good going forward.

cyberman

Bring back Barney!
I wanna hear how actually Sterling / Henderson / random player are 3 of the better players in the pitch and how every criticism of Lvpools performance is misguided if you look really closely.
This summer is really important for Rodgers, if they achieved top 4 in expense of us they'd have sent Uniteds rebuilding back another season.
Now there's nothing stopping our primary targets joining us with CL football, Brendan has to keep pace and so needs more hits in the transfer market.
Which will be harder with no Champions league next season

Castia

Mentally weak.

Don't see any fight in this team.

Neil Ashton commented on Twitter how they looked beat just getting off the coach, their body language suggests they just want to get this season out of the way but they have a top 4 slot to fight for and a possible FA cup semi final I'm surprised by how easy they've given up.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He really wasn't considered a better talent than Bernat
Nope. Not only was Moreno consistently good for Sevilla whenever I watched him, he was almost unanimously considered a superior player on most Spanish football forums, which really is the best gauge for the respective abilities of these players since they watch them on a more regular basis to form an educated opinion.

I remember people calling Moreno shite well before he signed for Liverpool and plenty of others wanting to sign Bernat ahead of Shaw. He was always seen as a defensive liability but good going forward.
Which people ? The type who called Herrera the Spanish Cleverley or nothing but a number 10 in the summer, or Blind an average left back plonker ? If so, I'd take their opinion with a grain of salt. As an example - someone else would call Alba a defensive liability by their standards. But he is largely a quality player for Barcelona and suits their playing style almost to a tee, which is really what matters at the end of the day. Moreno isn't responding well to Rodgers' system, but that doesn't mean he should be equated with Buttner, he was up there with Alaba (when he played there), Rodriguez, Kurzawa, Shaw as one of the top 4 or 5 young left-backs in Europe last season.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Disagree with pretty much all of that. I saw Moreno twice last season and he was horseshit on both occasions while Bernat always looked a lot more assured of himself.

Blaming the manager for Moreno's form is a silly. He was crap when they played 4 at the back and he's been crap since they have played 3 at the back. Can't blame Rodgers for him defending like a naive school boy.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Bring back Barney!
I wanna hear how actually Sterling / Henderson / random player are 3 of the better players in the pitch and how every criticism of Lvpools performance is misguided if you look really closely.
This summer is really important for Rodgers, if they achieved top 4 in expense of us they'd have sent Uniteds rebuilding back another season.
Now there's nothing stopping our primary targets joining us with CL football, Brendan has to keep pace and so needs more hits in the transfer market.
Which will be harder with no Champions league next season
No it isn't.

/barney

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Disagree with pretty much all of that. I saw Moreno twice last season and he was horseshit on both occasions while Bernat always looked a lot more assured of himself.

Blaming the manager for Moreno's form is a silly. He was crap when they played 4 at the back and he's been crap since they have played 3 at the back. Can't blame Rodgers for him defending like a naive school boy.
Moreno was definitely more highly rated than Bernat last season. He was one of the most highly rated youngsters in Spain. With all due respect, forming an opinion on his performances last year based on two games is scandalous.

The difference between the two is Bernat has kicked on when many thought he wasn't good enough for Bayern while Moreno has regressed from the sort of form that made Real Madrid interested.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I've watched last 15 minutes and I think I saw at least 5 attempts of Scholes esque volleys/shots from the edge of box and of course they all failed, it was hilarious to watch. Has that something their whole team worked on training recently, some kind of masterplan from Rodgers?

Boycott

I've watched last 15 minutes and I think I saw at least 5 attempts of Scholes esque volleys/shots from the edge of box and of course they all failed, it was hilarious to watch. Has that something their whole team worked on training recently, some kind of masterplan from Rodgers?
That gimp Henderson..

Raw

Has anyone got the stats? Would be good to see.
Man United
2-1 loss home
3-0 loss away

Arsenal
2-2 draw home
4-1 loss away

Chelsea
2-1 loss home
Away yet to be played

Man City
2-1 win home
3-1 loss away