Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Added in Lambert. Took out Alberto who is off on loan.

Very much hope Suarez is off.
We've signed Can too. Lallana will probably be confirmed today too. Apparently it was paperwork issues that held it up from being announced yesterday.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think you'll have a squad big enough for the league and CL.
I'll move the discussion here to avoid derailing the thread. If we assume Lambert, Lallana and Can are done we'd have a squad of:

Mignolet, Jones, Sakho, Skrtel, Enrique, Johnson, Flanagan, Ilori, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Lallana, Can, Lambert, Sturridge, Sterling and Ibe. That's 16 outfield players minimum (we might keep Lucas for instance). If we add a centre back, left back and two more attacking players we'll have more than enough depth to see us through the season IMO.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think you'll have a squad big enough for the league and CL.
Our problem isn't so much numbers as quality. I think Mourinho has the right idea of a 23 man squad being sufficient if you've got the right players.

Assuming we offload the deadwood of Reina, Kelly, Coates, Assaidi, Aspas and Borini, and sell Suarez, we have (youngsters who might get first team action in paranthese):

• GK: Mignolet, Jones (???)
  • RB: Johnson, Flannagan (McLaughlin, Wisdom)
  • LB: Enrique, ??? (Robinson)
  • CB: Sakho, Skrtel, Agger, Toure, Ilori (Wisdom)
  • DCM: Gerrard, Lucas, Can
  • CM: Henderson, Allen (Rossiter)
  • ACM: Coutinho, Lallana (Suso, Texeira)
  • "Attacker": Sterling, Suarez/Replacement(Sanchez?), ???, ??? (Ibe)
  • CF: Sturridge, Lambert
That leaves us short a first team leftback I think one more attacking player to have our squad in numbers. Get that and we have:

2 keepers,
4 fullbacks,
5 centrebacks,
5 central midfielders,
2 more who can play both in three-man midfield and out wide,
3 wingers
2 centre forwards.
23 players (24 when you count whatever 3rd choice keeper we'll settle on). More than enough.

I think if we sign more than a backup keeper, one attacker and a leftback from here (and of course a Suarez replacement if he goes) it will be to replace more prominent names.

Lucas, Johnson and Agger/Skrtel could come into play then.

I expect somewhere between 3 and 4 signings from here, besides Lambert, Can and Lallana.

I personally wouldn't mind an overhaul of Mignolet and Toure + one of Skrtel/Agger being shipped out for a new top centreback, but it it probably too much over one summer.

Last edited:

SiRed

I'll move the discussion here to avoid derailing the thread. If we assume Lambert, Lallana and Can are done we'd have a squad of:

Mignolet, Jones, Sakho, Skrtel, Enrique, Johnson, Flanagan, Ilori, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Lallana, Can, Lambert, Sturridge, Sterling and Ibe. That's 16 outfield players minimum (we might keep Lucas for instance). If we add a centre back, left back and two more attacking players we'll have more than enough depth to see us through the season IMO.
When you say 'see us through' what are your expectations for next season, if you were to add the players in the positions you suggest?

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
When you say 'see us through' what are your expectations for next season, if you were to add the players in the positions you suggest?
My minimum expectations are to qualify for the CL again as well as to get out the group stages. I would love to win a trophy too as that's the next step we have to take under Rodgers.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
You've way overpaid for Lallana. £15 mil was about his price. A good squad player.

SiRed

My minimum expectations are to qualify for the CL again as well as to get out the group stages. I would love to win a trophy too as that's the next step we have to take under Rodgers.
Well since posting, Lallana is now in the bag for you guys. I think your chances of progressing out of the CL groups depends largely on how teams are seeded and the luck of the draw. It could be that you end up in a group similar to City a year or so ago with one or 2 monster teams in your group.

Plugsy

Lallana is a good player. Not sure he's up to Gerrard cira pre-2012 though, which is really what they need now. Even more than a Suarez replacement, I'd say.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Likewise. Still, CL and out of the group will be good enough for this season. Preferably closer to 1st than 5th pointswise.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Lallana is a good player. Not sure he's up to Gerrard cira pre-2012 though, which is really what they need now. Even more than a Suarez replacement, I'd say.
That is not going to happen no matter who we buy.

But midfield upgrade should be on the cards for the next January and summer windows, unless some players step up a whole lot.

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
Surely Glen Johnson is going to move on now? Terrible, terrible defender.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Surely Glen Johnson is going to move on now? Terrible, terrible defender.
We can't solve all problems in one window.

I think Johnson will be filed into the last chance saloon. If he finds form he is still a top player. Likely he'll be phased out for Flannagan, maybe even McLaughlin who is a big talent, over the course of the season.

It's a passable solution till January/June.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Glen Johnson has never been and will never be a top player.
I am not having a fergusonesque arument about that. On form he'd be a quality asset to our first team we'd have no need to ponder replacing.

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
I am not having a fergusonesque arument about that. On form he'd be a quality asset to our first team we'd have no need to ponder replacing.
He's quality going forward but has always been very suspect defensively. He's a very good footballer but again, has never learned the positional side of the game.

I hope Rodgers persists with him but don't think he will. Flanagan and Moreno as your right and left backs.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Why haven't Liverpool addressed their defence yet?
I think our problems in defence are more structural than personnel, fullback weakness aside.

Whereas we have distinct personnel problems in midfield and attack that are now being addressed.

New centrebacks might make our organisational issues easier to solve, but I wouldn't be surprised if we stick to a leftback for now.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He's quality going forward but has always been very suspect defensively. He's a very good footballer but again, has never learned the positional side of the game.

I hope Rodgers persists with him but don't think he will. Flanagan and Moreno as your right and left backs.
Actually I think his positioning can be really good. It's his concentration that leaves him too often.

I remember a game last season where a dull and mostly invisible Johnson was replaced by Kelly - and suddenly the opposition was running rampant down our right. He's generally got the basics of shoring up his flank nailed down nicely.

Not so much that it makes up for the disappearance of his attacking game though. Without that, he is average.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Lallana's a good signing for Liverpool, hope they sign a few more good players like that.

I'm one of those fans who want our rivals to be strong as possible and the best players in the world playing in our league (I don't pay my Sky bill to see 200 Peter Crouch's) and since Liverpool are in the Champions League next season and are representing English football, i want them to be strong as possible so they can represent our league best they can.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Why haven't Liverpool addressed their defence yet?
With Lallana's transfer out of the way it seems we could be going after Lovren who I am a big fan of. Not sure what's happening with the Moreno deal, though some of the more reliable LFC twitter heads say it's just stalled rather than off and can see us upping our offer slightly.

United22

Lallana's a good signing for Liverpool, hope they sign a few more good players like that.

I'm one of those fans who want our rivals to be strong as possible and the best players in the world playing in our league (I don't pay my Sky bill to see 200 Peter Crouch's) and since Liverpool are in the Champions League next season and are representing English football, i want them to be strong as possible so they can represent our league best they can.
Don't agree at all. I want the exact opposite, I want them to be as weak as possible. We already have enough trouble with Chelsea and City having superior XI's to us, we don't need any additional trouble with Liverpool. We won't be saying the same stuff again if Arsenal and Liverpool strengthen to an extent where we won't be able to make it in the top 4 this year (again)

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Bertrand and Lovren are apparently going to be our next targets. I'm happy with Lovren, but Bertrand makes me sad. He's not bad, he's just bang average.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I'd like me some ashley cole, tbh. Perfect solution for the moment.

Glanville95

Cole would be a good alternative if you fail in your pursuits of Moreno. Bertrand shouldn't come into consideration.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Our record without Suarez under Rodgers I think is 8 wins, 2 draws and a loss. The loss came against Southampton when we played with Aspas and four centre backs.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Bertrand and Lovren are apparently going to be our next targets. I'm happy with Lovren, but Bertrand makes me sad. He's not bad, he's just bang average.
Rodgers knows Bertrand very well from his time at Chelsea so that's always a good sign for you.

I'd be happy for him to stay at Chelsea as backup for Azpili.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
What's the situation with Enrique? I've always thought he looked decent when I've watched you. Very strong player. Has he went off the boil or is it injuries or what?
He spent most of last season out with injuries.

Rodgers knows Bertrand very well from his time at Chelsea so that's always a good sign for you.

I'd be happy for him to stay at Chelsea as backup for Azpili.
Id be happy with him as a number 2 as well, but I don't think he's good enough to be first choice for us. If Rodgers helps develop him, then who knows.

Glanville95

Likewise, how many points did Suarez win for you last season? I don't know the exact figures, but it's a lot of points. It will be a significant blow to Liverpool as he's irreplaceable whatever way you look at it.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff

Who the feck do you support lad?

ManUArfa

Lallana's cost Liverpool £25 Million but I wish they'd paid double that, hope they sign a few Andy Carroll or Torres type flops though. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see them offload Suarez to Barca for a massive fee and then blow the whole lot on a couple of complete duffers.

I'm one of those fans who want our rivals to be relegated like Leeds were and the best players in the world playing for United (I don't pay my Sky bill to watch any teams other than United so frankly I don't give a sh*t) and since the dippers are in the Champions League next season that frees up a few Tuesday and Wednesday nights, even though i want them to do a City and get battered in all their group games.
Corrected that for you, mate.