Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Juan't Mata

Bertrand and Lovren are apparently going to be our next targets. I'm happy with Lovren, but Bertrand makes me sad. He's not bad, he's just bang average.
Your transfer business really isn't filling me with any apprehension at all if that's true.

Richard Cranium

Llana was the last area of the pitch they need to strengthen and to pay £25m for a 26 year old who isn't as good at a teenager and a 22 year old in the same position, it seems short sighted. Either that or they're preparing for life after Suarez.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think Liverpool's transfer business has been okay, they'll definitely need more though especially with rat boy leaving.

Juan't Mata

What they really need is a quality DM but Rodgers hasn't the bollox to replace Gerrard.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Your transfer business really isn't filling me with any apprehension at all if that's true.
I could say the exact same thing about youse. Looking at who everyone has been seriously linked with/bought so far, Chelsea are the only team that has me seriously worried.

BorisDeLeFora

The thing about Suarez being the difference between top 4 or not is a bit irrelevant considering Liverpool will win the champions league anyway.

The defence is going to be an even bigger issue this season, because without Suarez, the team will not be as efficient in front of goal, so will have to bee much more effective at the back. You can't get rid of Johnson though, no one will take him on those wages, which in turn, makes it difficult to justify buying another right back who would probably command fairly high wages given the quality you would be expecting. I think this could be where Wisdom can come in and stake his claim for a start, he's much more solid in defence an reliable in possession than Johnson and Flanagan, but doesn't have the dynamism to get toward the byline. Hopefully he is ready and good enough.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I could say the exact same thing about youse. Looking at who everyone has been seriously linked with/bought so far, Chelsea are the only team that has me seriously worried.
Agreed, we have strengthened though and should improve next season. If Suarez leaves this summer you will definitely have weakened though as I don't see you replacing him. I do think your business has been okay up to this point, but you definitely haven't improved your squad significantly just yet. We finally have a proper midfielder and a brilliant young left-back, so I think it's fair to suggest we've certainly strengthened.

NoPace

--------Sturridge-------
Lallana----------Sterling
---Coutinho-Henderson
--------Gerrard---------
??--Sakho--???----Johnson
---------Mignolet

They look a good bet to top the league in scoring and finish damn near last in keeping goals out.

Still, though, as much as I think they overpaid, once they replace Gerrard with a proper DM who actually protects the defense, Sakho works through his issues the way most young centerbacks of his talent do and they sort out the other spots, they could be a top side for years.

NoPace

Next season still looks 3-tiered to me:

Title: Citeh, Chelsea
CL spots: United, Liverpool, Arsenal
Last Europa League Spot: Tottenham, Everton, Some surprise team rising up

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
--------Sturridge-------
---Coutinho-Henderson
--------Gerrard---------
---------Mignolet

They look a good bet to top the league in scoring and finish damn near last in keeping goals out.

Still, though, as much as I think they overpaid, once they replace Gerrard with a proper DM who actually protects the defense, Sakho works through his issues the way most young centerbacks of his talent do and they sort out the other spots, they could be a top side for years.
And when will they do that? They won't drop Gerrard until the end of his career probably, unless he "reinvents" himself into a ball-playing CB for example (there was such an idea in the press, I think, it would be fun to watch though) and free the place for Can or anybody else.

Oh, and surely Flanagan should have one of the two FB spots? Ahead of Johnson at least if you're building a half-decent side.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
--------Sturridge-------
---Coutinho-Henderson
--------Gerrard---------
---------Mignolet

I can see it being more like: Mignolet; Johnson, Skrtel/Lovren, Sakho, Bertrand?; Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana/Coutinho; Sterling, Sturridge, Suarez Replacement.

And when will they do that? They won't drop Gerrard until the end of his career probably, unless he "reinvents" himself into a ball-playing CB for example (there was such an idea in the press, I think, it would be fun to watch though) and free the place for Can or anybody else.

Oh, and surely Flanagan should have one of the two FB spots? Ahead of Johnson at least if you're building a half-decent side.
Gerrard will never be a centre back. Positionally he is nowhere near good enough. Gerrard isn't in the side for what he does off the ball, he's in it for what he does while we're in possession.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Gerrard will never be a centre back. Positionally he is nowhere near good enough. Gerrard isn't in the side for what he does off the ball, he's in it for what he does while we're in possession.
I know, of course, it was a half joke/little exaggeration based on a very bad article about how Hodgson should've used him on the WC. But the point stands - do you think that he will step aside at some point and accept the role of squad player before he retires?

Your squad have a very limited ceiling if you're keeping the player of his quality (today's quality, I don't want to start another top/top-top discussion) in the starting eleven without any defensive responsibilities.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I know, of course, it was a half joke/little exaggeration based on a very bad article about how Hodgson should've used him on the WC. But the point stands - do you think that he will step aside at some point and accept the role of squad player before he retires?
He'll be rotated much more this coming season I think. If he replicates his form that he showed during the second half of the season (when he had that defined position) then I would rather have him in the squad than out of it.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Agreed, we have strengthened though and should improve next season. If Suarez leaves this summer you will definitely have weakened though as I don't see you replacing him. I do think your business has been okay up to this point, but you definitely haven't improved your squad significantly just yet. We finally have a proper midfielder and a brilliant young left-back, so I think it's fair to suggest we've certainly strengthened.
I think we have improved our squad, it's our best eleven that has hardly been improved. Lallana is a bit of an upgrade on Coutinho on the basis that he's more consistent. And aye, you've improved your first eleven definitely.

My main point is that supporters shouldn't really be bothered about how much fear new signings strike into oppos. Lallana and Herrera both are good examples of this. In both cases they've been overpaid for, but they'll come in and will suit the system that our managers are looking to play. Rodgers showed last season that he can get the team to be greater than the sum of its parts and I think Lallana will fit right in with that and I expect Herrera to do similarly with youse.

NoPace

Rodgers is going to have a tough time phasing our Gerrard, yeah, unless they win the league or CL, I would think. But he will have to do it. Gerrard at DM worked this year since a lot of his long passing came off and they scored enough goals in general to allow for some lapses, but he's clueless and getting less mobile every year.

Or maybe Gerrard realizes this and accepts heavy rotation, they buy a DM and Gerrard basically comes in as part of a 3 man midfield with Henderson and the DM. Basically, he will soon have to look at what Giggs did as a CM here the last few years.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What's the situation with Enrique? I've always thought he looked decent when I've watched you. Very strong player. Has he went off the boil or is it injuries or what?
Been injured for me than a year. No idea what state he comes back in.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Likewise, how many points did Suarez win for you last season? I don't know the exact figures, but it's a lot of points. It will be a significant blow to Liverpool as he's irreplaceable whatever way you look at it.
If you are looking only at it in terms of goals winning games, Sturridge actually won more for us.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
If Liverpool don't replace Suarez - they won't finish the top 4.
He's going to miss almost a third of the season anyway, so his impact & influence are going to missed right from the start. Me personally, I hope we do get rid of him now - for the right money of course - because his antics will eventually have a destabilising effect on the team. I doubt the club will let any potential transfer drag on too long because they'll want to ensure we bring in a quality striker in his place. I do have to laugh at the two-faced opinions on here regarding his importance to Liverpool though. Some call him a flat-track bully who can only do it against the likes of Norwich & co, yet they'll then tell you that we'll sink without a trace without him.

Shark

@NotShark
He's going to miss almost a third of the season anyway, so his impact & influence are going to missed right from the start. Me personally, I hope we do get rid of him now - for the right money of course - because his antics will eventually have a destabilising effect on the team. I doubt the club will let any potential transfer drag on too long because they'll want to ensure we bring in a quality striker in his place. I do have to laugh at the two-faced opinions on here regarding his importance to Liverpool though. Some call him a flat-track bully who can only do it against the likes of Norwich & co, yet they'll then tell you that we'll sink without a trace without him.
Beating the likes of Norwich home and away is what usually secures a top four place. Arsenal have been doing it for years.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
No one is saying you'll "sink without a trace", people are putting forward you'll finish outside top 4. It's not unreasonable to believe Suarez could be the factor that separates you guys from City, Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal (and maybe Tottenham but I've stopped believing in them). And as Shark said, those points against smaller teams are invaluable.

Bwuk

Mignolet
Johnson - Sakho - Lovren - Flanagan
Gerrard - Henderson
Sterling - Coutinho - Lallana
Sturridge​

Not worried about that whatsoever.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Are people seriously imagining we will sell Suarez and not replace him?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's bizzare that Liverpool haven't yet made a defensive signing. I think they need a left back, right back and center half.

Redguern

Mignolet
Johnson - Sakho - Lovren - Flanagan
Gerrard - Henderson
Sterling - Coutinho - Lallana
Sturridge​
Looks weaker in almost every position vs.

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling/Jones - Evans - Shaw
Carrick - Herrera
Januzaj - Mata - Rooney
RVP
I still think depth of squad could be a major problem for you in certain areas also given the increased game load from the Champions League.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
It's bizzare that Liverpool haven't yet made a defensive signing. I think they need a left back, right back and center half.
Looks like we're not getting a right back. We're apparently going to push to sign Lovren and Bertrand in the next week or two. If the Markovic rumours are true and the Suarez deal happens soon, we could have our business done very early.

Oneunited26

The difference is with united's 2 signings, they have had to sign 2 players that have improved the 2 weakest area 's of the team . United are building from a position of weakness, as ground zero is under way

It depends on signing another defender or 2, a midfielder and a creative wide player

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Ashley Cole and Richards are Rodgers sort of signings.

KM

We've strengthened our two problem positions, you haven't.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
We've strengthened our two problem positions, you haven't.
Our key area that we needed to strengthen was arguably quality on the bench. I was being slightly facetious and I explained later what I meant:

My main point is that supporters shouldn't really be bothered about how much fear new signings strike into oppos. Lallana and Herrera both are good examples of this. In both cases they've been overpaid for, but they'll come in and will suit the system that our managers are looking to play. Rodgers showed last season that he can get the team to be greater than the sum of its parts and I think Lallana will fit right in with that and I expect Herrera to do similarly with youse.

Redguern

Our key area that we needed to strengthen was arguably quality on the bench. I was being slightly facetious and I explained later what I meant:

Do you really have to write in scouse too ? :drool:

KM

Not true Barney. Your defense is a main concern. Lovren is good, but I'm not at all convinced by Bertrand, agree with your second point.

Btw, remember when you and other scousers were calling United fans deluded because we thought Suarez will leave this summer, how's that looking now?

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Not true Barney. Your defense is a main concern. Lovren is good, but I'm not at all convinced by Bertrand, agree with your second point.

Btw, remember when you and other scousers were calling United fans deluded because we thought Suarez will leave this summer, how's that looking now?
Our defence is also a concern, yes, but there are two more months to rectify it. I don't rate Bertrand either, but Rodgers rates him so I'll trust his judgement.

I said that pre-bite. Had he not bitten someone, I expect we would be doing more to hold onto him.

KM

Our defence is also a concern, yes, but there are two more months to rectify it. I don't rate Bertrand either, but Rodgers rates him so I'll trust his judgement.

I said that pre-bite. Had he not bitten someone, I expect we would be doing more to hold onto him.
I don't think the bite has had any effect.
Liverpool are still asking for the clause amount or 50m plus Sanchez, which I reckon would've been enough even without the bite.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Looks weaker in almost every position vs.

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling/Jones - Evans - Shaw
Carrick - Herrera
Januzaj - Mata - Rooney
RVP
I still think depth of squad could be a major problem for you in certain areas also given the increased game load from the Champions League.
On paper your team looked vastly superior to ours last season. But the difference in our respective fortunes came via the differing qualities in our managers. Even without Suarez, Brendan Rodgers Liverpool will play attacking football with lots of pace, & we'll continue to create chances, & no doubt score a fair share of goals. You've obviously got yourselves a much better manager with LVG, but it remains to be seen if he can get United up there challenging again in the most competitive league in the world.