Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

bishblaize

I can't see them challenging for the title again tbh, especially if Suarez leaves, they might make the top 4 but I'd be surprised if they do much more than that, don't rate their defence much either.
A forward line picked from Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Lambert and Lallana is simply not a fearsome one to be honest. Who are opposition teams going to be worrying about? If they turn up at Old Trafford with that line up next season, I'm just not worried (though our own players may give me more nightmares, who knows...)

Sterling is a fine player and Sturridge a good finisher. Lallana and Coutinho both have quality of course and Lambert is a shrewd buy given the price. But honestly, without Suarez I think the fear factor is gone. That's particularly true for United, as Suarez scoring against us had doubly negative connotations.

At at a minimum they need a player the quality of Sanchez to really expect to be challenging for the top four positions in a meaningful way. Even Shaqiri wouldn't worry me. And they still haven't addressed their defence yet.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A forward line picked from Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Lambert and Lallana is simply not a fearsome one to be honest. Who are opposition teams going to be worrying about? If they turn up at Old Trafford with that line up next season, I'm just not worried (though our own players may give me more nightmares, who knows...)

Sterling is a fine player and Sturridge a good finisher. Lallana and Coutinho both have quality of course and Lambert is a shrewd buy given the price. But honestly, without Suarez I think the fear factor is gone. That's particularly true for United, as Suarez scoring against us had doubly negative connotations.

At at a minimum they need a player the quality of Sanchez to really expect to be challenging for the top four positions in a meaningful way. Even Shaqiri wouldn't worry me. And they still haven't addressed their defence yet.
And CM. Lucas,Henderson,Allen and Gerrard looks very ordinary.

LoiusVanGaal

Sterling has a lot of potential but based on last season with them he isn't there just yet, Sturridge is competent when he's not being selfish but his finishing is very inconsistent. Coutinho hasn't really lived up to the hype imho, he's good but hardly the star player many thought he would be when he was at Inter, Lambert won't do as well for them imo either, with Southampton he was often their main striker, can't see him being as much of a focal point at Liverpool. Lallana is over-rated if you ask me as well.

Sanchez isn't really what they need if Suarez goes tbh, Suarez all round play and goalscoring are what helped them a lot last year, Sanchez has the all round play but he won't get the goals Suarez did, their best hope would be that Sanchez all round play would create enough chances for Sturridge every game that he scores the goals Suarez won't, which imo is pretty unlikely.

And CM. Lucas,Henderson,Allen and Gerrard looks very ordinary.
they need Gerrard on last seasons form again and he isn't getting any younger so not sure I see that happening, he was a liability in the world cup for England which will have hit his confidence too. Lucas I don't rate at all, same with Allen, Henderson worked well with Gerrard last year but if the latter struggles he may do as well.

their defence conceded 7 goals more than ours last season, given how bad a season some of our defenders had that takes quite some doing so I wouldn't expect them to compensate for any shortcomings further forward either.

Plugsy

Apparently Rodgers isn't interested in Sanchez in return for Suarez + cash. Now it's fine to want to have the cash and your own targets rather than just taking what's on offer, but the reason speculated is because they want to create a core of home-based/English team instead. Could they be in danger of repeating Dalglish's mistake; Downing, Henderson and Carroll, all home based, all quite young. They already have Lallana.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/165669-liverpool-complete-emre-can-transfer

Can has signed.

Apparently Rodgers isn't interested in Sanchez in return for Suarez + cash. Now it's fine to want to have the cash and your own targets rather than just taking what's on offer, but the reason speculated is because they want to create a core of home-based/English team instead. Could they be in danger of repeating Dalglish's mistake; Downing, Henderson and Carroll, all home based, all quite young. They already have Lallana.
I would suggest that information is wrong.

An Irish Red

I can't see Sturridge being anywhere near as productive without Suarez. The amount of chances he created for Liverpool were unreal and other players not only benefitted from that but from the fear factor he brought to the team. Sturridge is a good player and all but he's not half as good as some people think.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Arsenal are the luckiest club ever. They make top 4 because Spurs on more than one occasion choked when they were miles ahead for 4th spot. Then last season, they were lucky United had the worst season in decades and next season they will be lucky that Liverpool dont have Suarez ... I swear Wengers the mastermind in all this... its no wonder he kept his job all these years without winning a trophy :lol:

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
The English based players did pretty well last season. With Champions League football this season :) hopefully we can attract some more players into the club irrespective of the Suarez situation. In addition having a core home based is not a bad idea. Henderson was not a mistake and Lallana will be well suited to the way we play.

Bearing in mind many didn't have us in the top 6 last season, hopefully we will surprise people again.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
How do people rate Emre Can? Is he a good player? What kind of midfielder is he?
In all honesty, I knew hardly anything about him. At this point I should say he has suddenly become "world class", however all I know from what I have seen since is that he looks a strong tackling player who likes to get forward. I think he has played in a few positions but prefers central midfield.
I said all last year even when we were doing so well that I felt we still lacked a dominant, powerful central midfielder, given his age he probably isn't that yet but in the future who knows.

mata10

So suarez is as good as gone, liverpool has 60-70 million to spends along with initial budget. What is the best they could hope for?
Lallana - 25 million(signed)
Can --- 10 million(Signed)
Bertrand - 10-12 million(Deal said to be very close)
Lovern - 20 million (Bidding)

That is about 65-70 million of spending. Now you will need one forward at least and the interest is in Origi(12-15 million) along with him trying for either one of (Markovic/shaqiri/sanchez) for atleast 30 million each so best part of 100-120 million will be spent.

What do we think of them now?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
How far do most neutrals think Liverpool will get in the Champions League?
Liverpool fans, do you think you can progress to the knockouts if you end up in a hard group?
Ie Dortmund, Barca, Gala and Liverpool.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I can't see Sturridge being anywhere near as productive without Suarez. The amount of chances he created for Liverpool were unreal and other players not only benefitted from that but from the fear factor he brought to the team. Sturridge is a good player and all but he's not half as good as some people think.
Well his record without Suarez show he is just as productive without him.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
A forward line picked from Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Lambert and Lallana is simply not a fearsome one to be honest.
What's the point of pondering that? Suarez is still here and we were looking at adding another attacker even before Suarez looked like leaving. I fully expect two more new faces in attack if he goes.

Malva

I really don't think he was. 2 years in Europe in a good but not elite club, good stats, still very young. Not superstar at all, or you consider loads of signings to be superstar signings.
he was the real deal. i don't think his failure so far has anything to do with his footballing ability, which is extremely high.

Raul Madrid

Ozil is generally disappointing.
I understand where you are coming from but that is mostly in the big matches. Over the last four years he has proven himself at the highest level and has shown that he is a world class talent. If he started to perform more consistently in the big games he would be an undeniable world class player. He has performed well in a few classicos so he has it in him. Even in some of his poor performances he still managed to score or assist. He was also a key player in Madrid winning the league and cup and getting to three semi-finals in the cl. I definitely would not consider sturridge to be anywhere near the same bracket that ozil is in, when I look at ozils his career as a whole. When it comes to talent I don't think ozil is lacking, however his attitude and mentality could be much better.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I reckon we'll finish the summer by signing Markovic, Lovren, Moreno/Bertrand, Origi and then a Suarez replacement (Sanchez is the only name popping up right now).

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I reckon we'll finish the summer by signing Markovic, Lovren, Moreno/Bertrand, Origi and then a Suarez replacement (Sanchez is the only name popping up right now).
Sanchez doesn't want to join you. Benzema, Di Maria or Cavani perhaps?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
My prediction would be Lovren, Moreno, Origi (then loaned out again), and 2 from the three of Sanchez, Markovic & Shaqiri.

If Luis stays, delete Sanchez and make it one of Markovic & Shaqiri.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think for Lovren to move now would require an incredible amount of money.

shaggy

My prediction would be Lovren, Moreno, Origi (then loaned out again), and 2 from the three of Sanchez, Markovic & Shaqiri.

If Luis stays, delete Sanchez and make it one of Markovic & Shaqiri.
:confused:
He's off, thank god.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
:confused:
He's off, thank god.
Yes, well everyone thought likewise last year.

I think he'll go but it would hardly be a huge surprise (except maybe to those who have been cheering every rumour of his exit for 12+ months) if he ended up staying.

shaggy

Yes, well everyone thought likewise last year.

I think he'll go but it would hardly be a huge surprise (except maybe to those who have been cheering every rumour of his exit for 12+ months) if he ended up staying.
There were no bids or actual real interest from barca or Madrid though, only a half-hearted attempt from Arsenal, its a lot different this year.