Liverpool - 2017/18

Bwuk

Serious question - when was the last time Liverpool had a decent left back and two decent CBs. It seems to have been a problem for them as far as I can remember!

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Serious question - when was the last time Liverpool had a decent left back and two decent CBs. It seems to have been a problem for them as far as I can remember!
Last time I can remember was under Rafa. I used to love Riise back in the day. Before that murky night in April.

Bwuk

Last time I can remember was under Rafa. I used to love Riise back in the day. Before that murky night in April.
Riise must of been about 14 years ago since he peaked? I can remember Aurelio being absolutely crap but I'm sure he scored against Madrid when you slapped them.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They won't challenge for a title without a better defense, but teams in the league couldn't wise up enough to prevent Liverpool from snagging a top 4 finish. And up front you'll have major difficulty keeping a clean sheet against them for 90 minutes.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Riise must of been about 14 years ago since he peaked? I can remember Aurelio being absolutely crap but I'm sure he scored against Madrid when you slapped them.
I think that was Dossena when he went on his incredible two game scoring streak.

MadMike

They won't challenge for a title without a better defense, but teams in the league couldn't wise up enough to prevent Liverpool from snagging a top 4 finish. And up front you'll have major difficulty keeping a clean sheet against them for 90 minutes.
Their squad will get more stretched this year though. They didn't have any games in Europe last year and they went out of the cups pretty early.

They really need to keep Coutinho, otherwise they will have effectively regressed ahead of a very tough season.

Sad Chris

Fast and good attacking against a Hoffenheim manager who doesn't seem to have done his homework. Everything about their setup in the first 25 minutes must've had every PL manager shaking their head in disbelief.

I read a lot about bringing in more players in this window, but doesn't it end in a week? I'd be surprised if it'd be easier to lure away first team players from others so late in the window. Unless transfer details have been in place and can be finalized with CL qualification, I don't see much happening.

But if you don't strengthen your defensive setup, it'll just be another season of disappointed expectations.

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
New season, 4 games, should have won all 4, 10 goals scored, Coutinho staying, Salah added , no afcon for mane, qualified for champions league.

I dont get why media and fans and pundits everyone is just so negative about Liverpool.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Aurelio was our best left back in decades. Just never ever fit. and shit for the first two weeks after getting back every time.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Their attack is superb under Klopp. Hopefully the defence remains problematic otherwise they could genuinely challenge for the title.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Attack good, defense poor. Also think hoffenheim were bad, i think they expected Liverpool to sit on the lead and away goals but they got blitzed and their tactics failed. Still a good performance to beat a good side.
Would have loved the meltdown had they crashed out but i think being in CL will also affect them and their thin squad over atleast 6 matches of group stages. Think they will be fighting for fourth again, their attack will win them a few tough games but their defence will lose/draw them a few winnable ones.

buckooo1978

Liverpool's defence under Rafa was pretty solid - especially when Babbel was fit at right back

Rafa did adopt a defensive style though and they defended well as a team

Rafateria

If you were a Liverpool fan, what would you rather win, your 6th European cup or the league?
Easy. The CL is away above the PL in terms of prestige and player-pulling power. To say nothing of having to beat teams currently rated far above those in the PL.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Liverpool's defence under Rafa was pretty solid - especially when Babbel was fit at right back

They had Kuyt as a defensive striker remember?

montpelier

More questions than answers for me

How far offside was that goal I've just seen on the BBC news?

And Emre Can on fire too. Were the Hoff playing with a full XI?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Great game last night for us, scintillating attacking performance, but it's more or less just glossing over the issues. It's been an horrendous summer, the players know as well as the club that we haven't progressed any, I don't blame Coutinho for wanting to leave before and especially not in the light of Klopp's recent comments on Emre Can. He hasn't signed a contract because he wanted to be assured of CL football, we have nowhere near enough for four competitions and it's going to be a long season unless significant activity takes place in the next few days.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Babbel never played for rafa.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't see the game last night, so can't comment on that, but great that we're through! European nights at Anfield once again:drool:

However, the lack of reinforcements is staggering and I'm a little worried that our squad will be pushed to the limit when european football, three domestic tournaments and injuries set in. Last season we barely scraped 4th and that was without european football and early exits in the cups. I'm really hoping that something happens in the final days. CL could be a factor when trying to convince players to join us.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Didn't see the game last night, so can't comment on that, but great that we're through! European nights at Anfield once again:drool:

However, the lack of reinforcements is staggering and I'm a little worried that our squad will be pushed to the limit when european football, three domestic tournaments and injuries set in. Last season we barely scraped 4th and that was without european football and early exits in the cups. I'm really hoping that something happens in the final days. CL could be a factor when trying to convince players to join us.
I agree with the lack of reinforcements complaint. I think you've left yourself too thin so far, and that could have big repercussions later on. I think you've been screwed by the Coutinho situation. If you knew he was going to be a Barca target you could have done some strengthening before he left, but because it's almost come out of the blue after Barca got stung by Neymar, selling him now would leave you in a bit of a bind in negotiations with other clubs who know just how much money you have. Without reinforcements - and even with Coutinho - I think your squad is going to be stretched.

I think today's CL draw will be interesting. You could find yourself in a very difficult group and facing the very real prospect of Europa League football, which would only strain the squad further.

A lot of hypotheticals at this point, but nonetheless I feel you've made a mistake not bringing more players in.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Out of the top 6 teams, I think they're the most ill-equiped to handle an injury crises.
I cannot believe Klopp is happy with the amount of business done.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I agree with the lack of reinforcements complaint. I think you've left yourself too thin so far, and that could have big repercussions later on. I think you've been screwed by the Coutinho situation. If you knew he was going to be a Barca target you could have done some strengthening before he left, but because it's almost come out of the blue after Barca got stung by Neymar, selling him now would leave you in a bit of a bind in negotiations with other clubs who know just how much money you have. Without reinforcements - and even with Coutinho - I think your squad is going to be stretched.

I think today's CL draw will be interesting. You could find yourself in a very difficult group and facing the very real prospect of Europa League football, which would only strain the squad further.

A lot of hypotheticals at this point, but nonetheless I feel you've made a mistake not bringing more players in.
Absolutely. Even before Coutinho became an issue, our squad should have been reinforced. All the talk about Keita and Van Dijk suggests that we did want to strengthen, but only had those those two prospects which, if true, is crazy. There must be plenty of players out there who could provide our squad with both quality and width (not sure it's the right word).

I'm really hoping that the CL will persuade someone to come and that Klopp sees that we can use someone other than those two.

Akshay

Staff
About his need ? Liverpool dont need a defensive cover , they are not leaking goals from open play. If anyone goes on to search the stats Liverpool come in bottam half in goals conceded from open play. Its the dead ball situations where its all dloom gloom. 2 players particularly moreno and lovren always come up with some individual mistake and leave the door open. Add to that the zonal marking shit, always late on first ball, late on second ball because no one knows whos ball it is
That's not entirely true. I mean, in that sense you could say Liverpool have a great defense overall, because they conceded fewer goals than 15 other teams in the league. The point is that Liverpool aren't really competing with most of those sides - they're competing with United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, and they conceded more goals from open play than all these teams.

I agree that a holding midfielder like Matic wouldn't solve all your problems, because the system and tactics are equally to blame as the personnel. It would probably help, though.

Danny Roberts

It's an all-round problem IMO. Personnel, keeper, system, attitude. The danger is that Klopp may be going down the Wenger route of just ignoring/denying the problem.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
It's an all-round problem IMO. Personnel, keeper, system, attitude. The danger is that Klopp may be going down the Wenger route of just ignoring/denying the problem.
Arsenals' defence was never this leaky imo. Yeah we've never been thumped by 8 goals or destroyed 5-0 in Europe but on the whole they've always had a decent ish defence but I agree with that Wenger point. I mean there is a week left but if we don't sign VVD which I doubt will happen he needs to try and reintegrate Sahko because he has already come out and said there is no VVD alternative. We are so lucky our attack is good.

SambaBoy

Why has their summer transfer window been so disappointing? It was glaring obvious where they need strengthening and they haven't even filled them in adequately. Is it Klopp being stubborn and refusing to sign anyone but his first choice signings? or FSG not stumping up the cash?

We all know they were after VVD and Keita but both have went dead and seem to be off the table but surely there are other alternatives out there or 2nd/3rd/4th choices like most clubs have approaching a window.

adamwest

Yea Mane is a wicked little player. Would be perfect for us. Always forget how young he is too.

Gizzyspop

No im not contradicting anything. He is a good DM which i have already said in my comment but thats all. He offers nothing in attack, no goals and neither among the assists. Dribbling or chance creations isnt great either. Offers nothing going forward.

If you have the habit of looking everything from a Liverpool fan - united fan perspective its your problem not mine
Matic got 7 assists in the league last season, same amount as Coutinho.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yea Mane is a wicked little player. Would be perfect for us. Always forget how young he is too.
The Coutinho saga, inadvertently, has acted as a perfect cloak to keep Mane hidden. For now! The guy is destined for a Bayern, Real Madrid, PSG or even maybe Barcelona. Actually scratch Bayern, they won't be able to afford him by a long way. I can see him being next summer's transfer saga when the cat is truly out. :(

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
Matic got 7 assists in the league last season, same amount as Coutinho.
Coutinho scored 14 , matic just 2. Anyways
stats often lie mate they dont tell complete story. If we go by stats lucas leiva and pogba near about had same number of assists last season if your getting my point.

Matic is a ultra defensive midfielder suitable for mourinho's more pragmatic approach. Going forward he doesn't creates much. Klopp prefers more balanced CDM.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think he's good but not seen loads of him. Big step from good for Liverpool to Barca/Real/Bayern class.
He's much more of a one man saviour than Coutinho. Not quite Ronaldo/Bale or even Neymar level but not far removed.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Coutinho scored 14 , matic just 2. Anyways
stats often lie mate they dont tell complete story. If we go by stats lucas leiva and pogba near about had same number of assists last season if your getting my point.

Matic is a ultra defensive midfielder suitable for mourinho's more pragmatic approach. Going forward he doesn't creates much. Klopp prefers more balanced CDM.
Plus Matic wouldn't have gone to Liverpool, he bad better offers. A more box to box type like N'Zonzi would be great for Liverpool.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's much more of a one man saviour than Coutinho. Not quite Ronaldo/Bale or even Neymar level but not far removed.
Calm down :lol:

He's good, but yes, he is far removed from cristiano/neymar. Neymar would have scored 4 by himself yesterday with everything Mane wasted...

Nogbadthebad

Their attack seems fine without coutinho.

Their defence is woeful wherever he is.

If Gnabry had his shooting boots on the right feet they could have conceded 4 yesterday. They will get punished by better sides.

Before the season is out, they will be punished by worse sides too unless they do something to change the way they defend. Its not just the players, there is more to it.