Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
This season may still be one where City prove too powerful, especially with the amount of players we have to bed in. A whole new midfield essentially.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We ought to be competing for the title really. Doesn't mean we ought to win it, but the target has to be 85+ points.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes Liverpool have upgraded their squad significantly and on paper look a good side.

But there’s still a question over how much of klopps success has been down to tactics by ‘the brains’ who has left the club. Liverpool’s record since he left isn’t good but perhaps down to tiredness pressure on a small squad or one eye on the CL final.

Still point remains is Klopp just a cheerleader without his mate or has he enough about him on his own to lead Liverpool to a season to at least equal what they’ve just done or go further and pickup silverware?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I really think with the squad they have they should compete for the title now. If they don't than that should be a serious stain for Klopp.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I really think with the squad they have they should compete for the title now. If they don't than that should be a serious stain for Klopp.
Yeah, they've put together a very good team, to be honest it's the first time in years I think player for player they're better than us. I think we really need to get some business done, we made a good start with Dalot and Fred but there are still some problem positions we need to sort if we want to be up there this season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yeah, they've put together a very good team, to be honest it's the first time in years I think player for player they're better than us. I think we really need to get some business done, we made a good start with Dalot and Fred but there are still some problem positions we need to sort if we want to be up there this season.
They were better than by quite a lot personnel wise in Moyes first season.

red4ever 79

Cant knock them.

Needed a GK - Yes
Needed a CM - Yes x 2
Needed a RM - Yes
With Clyne also fit from the start of the season they are certainly stronger than last season

AltiUn

They were better than by quite a lot personnel wise in Moyes first season.
Seems I wiped that from my memory :lol: yeah, they were much better that season.

red4ever 79

Dalot.. My god people still going on about this. He will not be a starter for us. A young player with potential has been bought who may not reach his potential

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
We have a better squad player for player than United for the first time since I've been alive. Tis a great feeling, thanks Klopp. But trophies is what counts, roll on next May.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
They have to be second favourites for the title with their squad, on paper.

If they fail to win at least 1 trophy this season, surely Klopp should be considered for the sack? £400m spent in 3.5 years with nothing to show for it, has to be considered a failure.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They still don't have a better team than us.

Toddler

Liverpool seems to be doing good business and getting stronger. I'm worried but I trust that we will get a little bit stronger too. There is no chance we will go in to the new season with only Fred and Dalot as our new chaps.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Always loads of hyperbole when it comes to Liverpool but they're strengthening really well and I expect them to challenge for the title next season.

Overall I feel this is good for the competitiveness of the league. I really don't want City running away with it again.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Cant knock them.

Needed a GK - Yes
Needed a CM - Yes x 2
Needed a RM - Yes
With Clyne also fit from the start of the season they are certainly stronger than last season
Except that Saleh won't be having another 44 goal season which was the main driver of their success last year. The goals will therefore still have to be there for them to finish top 4.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

If they fail to win at least 1 trophy this season, surely Klopp should be considered for the sack? £400m spent in 3.5 years with nothing to show for it, has to be considered a failure.
We have a stronger starting XI than United.
We are second favourites according to yourself before the season starts.

You'd be ridiculed if you said that before Klopp came to Liverpool, or even if you'd say that would be the case after three years of his tenure. Yet we've still got "nothing to show for it" :rolleyes: People should realize that these things take time instead of instantly requiring trophies.

AltiUn

They still don't have a better team than us.
I'd say they do, it's probably not actually that close either. Their entire front three is better for a start, their defence is much better currently and they've signed some very good midfielders on paper although I still think we edge them there, if they end up signing Fekir too I'd probably even put their midfield ahead too. If our players like Sanchez and Pogba play to their absolute best then we could be better than them but based on evidence last season for now they're probably ahead.

settembrini

They are making fantastic signings imo. Look by far the most likely team to challenge City.

AltiUn

Except that Saleh won't be having another 44 goal season which was the main driver of their success last year. The goals will therefore still have to be there for them to finish top 4.
Improving the rest of their team, particularly the midfield, should go some ways to helping that. Mane and Firminio were no slouches either, scoring 20 and 27 in all competitions respectively.

Kapardin

I'd say they do, it's probably not actually that close either. Their entire front three is better for a start, their defence is much better currently and they've signed some very good midfielders on paper although I still think we edge them there, if they end up signing Fekir too I'd probably even put their midfield ahead too. If our players like Sanchez and Pogba play to their absolute best then we could be better than them but based on evidence last season for now they're probably ahead.
You are right. Our midfield and GK (assuming Alisson does not overtake peak de Gea) are better. Lukaku's improved his all round play and if he continues in that manner, I'd argue we are even in the striker position as well.

But apart from that, they have the better team now.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

You'd be ridiculed if you said that before Klopp came to Liverpool, or even if you'd say that would be the case after three years of his tenure. Yet we've still got "nothing to show for it" :rolleyes: People should realize that these things take time instead of instantly requiring trophies.
I don't think I'd be ridiculed for saying that Klopp should've won at least 1 trophy in 3.5 seasons (at the end of this upcoming one) after spending £400m (assuming you don't spend more in this window or in January)
Surely that's the minimum expectation, given the amount of money invested.

You've been in the Europa & CL finals and done quite well in the cups - so you've certainly come close.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Yes Liverpool have upgraded their squad significantly and on paper look a good side.

But there’s still a question over how much of klopps success has been down to tactics by ‘the brains’ who has left the club. Liverpool’s record since he left isn’t good but perhaps down to tiredness pressure on a small squad or one eye on the CL final.

Still point remains is Klopp just a cheerleader without his mate or has he enough about him on his own to lead Liverpool to a season to at least equal what they’ve just done or go further and pickup silverware?
Who knows that could be the reason why he's spending so big. I am still a bit worried about how we will cope without Buvac, losing a trusted number 2 especially one he has known for over 20 years can't be easy. Or maybe City's absolute dominance in the league has finally opened his eyes that you have to spend to be successful in England.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Improving the rest of their team, particularly the midfield, should go some ways to helping that. Mane and Firminio were no slouches either, scoring 20 and 27 in all competitions respectively.
That would be a massive concern as Firminho and Mane would need to score even more if Saleh "only" gets about 30 or so next year. The years that Van Nistelrooy, Henry, and CR7 got 39-44 goals were each followed up with massive drop offs the following year, which suggests they were one offs. Saleh will almost surely fall into the same category since its highly unlikely he will deliver consecutive 44 goal years. The goals will therefore come from other sources.

Last edited:

AltiUn

That would be a massive concern as Firminho an Mane would need to score even more if Saleh "only" gets about 30 or so next year. The years that Van Nistelrooy, Henry, and CR7 got 39-44 goals were each followed up with massive drop offs the following year, which suggests they were one offs. Saleh will almost surely fall into the same category since its highly unlikely he will deliver consecutive 44 goal years. The goals will therefore come from other sources.
I hope you're right, if Salah has a somewhat more ordinary season and Sanchez bucks himself up then it'll be a closer contest between us.

red4ever 79

I agree that was a sensational season. However Mane was more muted last season compared to his previous one and may kick on again. If they sign Fekir which looks like it is back on again, then they will have some serious fire power.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

He's going into his 4th season at Liverpool and has spent a crazy amount of money. Expectations rise when this happens and people are just echoing that. There's no excuses for the guy anymore. You've got the world record defender, world record keeper if it goes through - not to mention the upgrades in the midfield for big sums of money - AND an attack that has already played a season or two together. Combine that with the fact that Klopp is now in his 4th season and there's zero excuses. He has to win a trophy next season AND challenge for the League.

The scrutiny should be just as intense for him as it will be for Mourinho and Guardiola. Another trophyless season will be a disaster and he should come in for heavy criticism.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's going into his 4th season at Liverpool and has spent a crazy amount of money. Expectations rise when this happens and people are just echoing that. There's no excuses for the guy anymore. You've got the world record defender, world record keeper if it goes through - not to mention the upgrades in the midfield for big sums of money - AND an attack that has already played a season or two together. Combine that with the fact that Klopp is know in his 4th season and there's zero excuses. He has to win a trophy next season AND challenge for the League.

The scrutiny should be just as intense for him as it will be for Mourinho and Guardiola. Another trophyless season will be a disaster and he should come in for heavy criticism.
You're entitled to think of it what you want, I just don't agree with that kind of view.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's going into his 4th season at Liverpool and has spent a crazy amount of money. Expectations rise when this happens and people are just echoing that. There's no excuses for the guy anymore. You've got the world record defender, world record keeper if it goes through - not to mention the upgrades in the midfield for big sums of money - AND an attack that has already played a season or two together. Combine that with the fact that Klopp is know in his 4th season and there's zero excuses. He has to win a trophy next season AND challenge for the League.

This is definitely a make or break season at Pool. If they start repeatedly breaking the bank on new players and still don't manage better than 4th then there will be some questions asked of Klopp.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
You know we're having a sad summer transfer window when 3 out of the 5 top football threads are about Liverpool.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

To be fair, the scrutiny should really be from the media - Klopp gets an absolute free ride.

I think 'Pool fans are just happy to be in the conversation of being among the best sides in the country again.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
That would be a massive concern as Firminho and Mane would need to score even more if Saleh "only" gets about 30 or so next year. The years that Van Nistelrooy, Henry, and CR7 got 39-44 goals were each followed up with massive drop offs the following year, which suggests they were one offs. Saleh will almost surely fall into the same category since its highly unlikely he will deliver consecutive 44 goal years. The goals will therefore come from other sources.
Why would we - as a team - have to score as many, or even more, than we did last season to do as well, or even better ? The vast majority of our goals were probably surplus to requirements anyway, & all they did was to bolster our goal difference. Not forgetting of course that our defensive record in the 2nd part of last season was up there with the likes of City, United, & Spurs, which if repeated, means less pressure on the attacking players to score.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why would we - as a team - have to score as many, or even more, than we did last season to do as well, or even better ? The vast majority of our goals were probably surplus to requirements anyway, & all they did was to bolster our goal difference. Not forgetting of course that our defensive record in the 2nd part of last season was up there with the likes of City, United, & Spurs, which if repeated, means less pressure on the attacking players to score.
Try scoring 20 goals less next year and let's see how high you finish.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
To be fair, the scrutiny should really be from the media - Klopp gets an absolute free ride.

I think 'Pool fans are just happy to be in the conversation of being among the best sides in the country again.
Yeah that's what i meant. He really does get a pass and it's ridiculous.

'Pool fans want it both ways. They want to be in the conversation and puff their chest out about their chances, but also shy away from the scrutiny and pressure that it brings.

We need an rvn

You're entitled to think of it what you want, I just don't agree with that kind of view.
Your view on what exactly? Surely you must agree, as @BusbyMalone pointed out, given he's now spent a world record on a keeper and defender, plus with that attack you should be fighting strongly for the league. There is no excuse for the media not to pick up on this if you have another season of ending 3rd or 4th? Jose was put under the sword a lot more than the other managers were last year and surely you can agree with that too?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What. The view that a manager who's going into his 4th season and has spent an asinine amount of money significantly strengthening his squad in the areas that needed it most, shouldn't come under some kind of scrutiny and criticism if his achievements aren't commensurate with the money that he spent?

So they guy can't lose can he? Wins a trophy and he's a fecking genius, wins nothing and "ah well, he's building..."

Inter Yer Nan

I think if he was at Chelsea or City he'd be gone but I think Liverpool will be a little more cautious. Surely they won't spend 200m every year so may look at this as an investment year. I think if he wins nothing then it's justifiable to sack him but suspect he'll get another season which seems right because he has to bed these players in and some players may not have quite the season they just had like Salah.

He gets a free ride though with the fans and media. Imagine the scenes if we spent this money on VVD and Allison!

Status
Not open for further replies.