Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble

The expectations are going to be really big. And the pressure on players to perform well in every game too. Which might have a negative effect.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Honestly forgot about the ox injury!

Fekir in that midfield looks susceptible to me. An entire midfield of players new to the premier league. High risk move IMo at least with likes of Milner etc you got workrate guaranteed not sure you will get that from that new 3 on paper which imo will compromise the system.
Nothing says we have to integrate all three into the starting lineup on day one.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
It’s fantastic to only have to worry about City this coming season. I still think they will have to much for us over a 38 game season but I think we will run them close.
I hope that statement doesn't come back & bite you on the arse. Anyway, there's still 6 weeks left before the window closes. Plenty of time for the usual suspects to bring in some top players of their own (which they will)

It's always exciting to see new players being brought in, but it doesn't guarantee they'll improve us. Our best season in recent times (2014) came after a summer of inactivity when the only significant player we signed was Sassoko. Me personally I'll be waiting for a few matches before I start dreaming of a possible title challenge with City & others.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Nothing says we have to integrate all three into the starting lineup on day one.
I can see Keita being an automatic starter from day one with maybe Fabinho being eased in over time. Then we'll probably have Henderson & Wijnaldum (assuming he doesn't get sold) as the other 2 midfielders. We then have Milner, Lallana, & Fabinho - with the latter to challenge Hendo & Gini when he's up to speed for a regular place in the midfield 3.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am uneasy about it all. The last time we had a sexy well-oiled team going into the start of the season, we managed to finish 4th in a two horse race, under Evans.

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool
Obviously, with a bit of greater spending expectations will become that bit greater too. However, really LFC have only added Keita as a replacement to Coutinho as it stands and maybe a season of Ox.

Fabinho replaces Can like for like.

Shaqiri back up.

Alisson the extra cherry on top currently.

My belief is i think this LFC team is very good, and as we reinforce in other areas, such as the GK, hopefully the demands on Salah are slightly less. Granted, it would be great for him to score 30+ again, but if he doesnt, hopefully we keep them out better at the other end too!

If LFC want to have any hope of challenging City like some are saying on here, we really do need a Fekir "type" player through the door. What happens if Firmino gets injured? Another game of Solanke (Brewster unproven and injured)....this doesn't strike me as the same back up of Aguero+ Jesus for example.

Getting Fekir gives us an extra set of legs to open teams up, and also cover the frontline.

Reactions: Sultan

Varun

Staff
It’s fantastic to only have to worry about City this coming season. I still think they will have to much for us over a 38 game season but I think we will run them close.
And only Real to worry about in the CL, innit? :lol:

tonnas

are liverppol stronger then last year? I think yes, but ppl need to keep in mind they lost Can for free and Ox for the season, keita and fabinho are still unproven (like our Fred), transfer market is not over, so lets and and see what will happen!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Weird how the loss of Can is mentioned so often now, while the main consensus about him before was that he's an average donkey. We managed fine without him for the second part of last season, he didn't want to be at Liverpool anymore so I'm glad he's gone, and replaced by a better player who's very happy to be here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Get ready for the Scouse boom bust cycle :lol:

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Weird how the loss of Can is mentioned so often now, while the main consensus about him before was that he's an average donkey.
That's how it works. Coutinho was an overrated one trick pony among some in here.. Then he was sold, and suddenly became world class, and we would fall off a cliff without him..

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Anyway, there's still 6 weeks left before the window closes. Plenty of time for the usual suspects to bring in some top players of their own (which they will)
Window closes before the start of the season, so three weeks left.

Coxy

are liverppol stronger then last year? I think yes, but ppl need to keep in mind they lost Can for free and Ox for the season, keita and fabinho are still unproven (like our Fred), transfer market is not over, so lets and and see what will happen!
Think yes? They are definitely better - especially if they get the keeper.

Harold_Giles

Weird how the loss of Can is mentioned so often now, while the main consensus about him before was that he's an average donkey. We managed fine without him for the second part of last season, he didn't want to be at Liverpool anymore so I'm glad he's gone, and replaced by a better player who's very happy to be here.
If it's Fabinho you're talking about I think you replaced Can with an inferior player.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Can may not be great right now but I feel he has a very high ceiling and will reach a high level at Juventus.

Whether he would've reached that level at Liverpool is another question because Klopps may not suit him.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Can may not be great right now but I feel he has a very high ceiling and will reach a high level at Juventus.

Whether he would've reached that level at Liverpool is another question because Klopps may not suit him.
He lingered far too long with the ball at his feet, there's nothing that moves faster than the ball and especially not Can. The only disappointing thing is that we didn't get a transfer fee for him, otherwise I don't really care that he's gone. Fabinho will be a much better DM than Can ever was for us imo.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
They're going to be really really good this year.

Good for the league. Feels like the Premier League is about to start a good cycle again.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I think Sturridge will be the backup to firmino, sounds like he is staying.
That dosn’t fill me with confidence either.

No we won't, we would put Salah up front and play Shaqiri on the right, that's why we bought him.
You could be right, but I’d much prefer a natural striker.

I think we might keep Sturridge or Origi and sell Ings.
Possibly, I just don’t see any of them being good enough.

Castia

Liverpool spent over 160 ml on 4 players. None of them would be starters for City, United, Spurs, imho.
Bit misleading though, none of the clubs you mention need a keeper and Liverpool are desperate so it’s probably 66m well spent.

They spent close to hundred million on 2 midfielders, again they were desperate it was the weakest part of the squad and a massive upgrade on what they had.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Bit misleading though, none of the clubs you mention need a keeper and Liverpool are desperate so it’s probably 66m well spent.

They spent close to hundred million on 2 midfielders, again they were desperate it was the weakest part of the squad and a massive upgrade on what they had.
Don't think it's even true either.

No GK in the world would start ahead of De Gea, Alisson is better than Lloris and started over Ederson at the WC so definitely an argument to be made there.

I think Fabinho is better than Wanyama and I'd prefer him over an aging Fernandinho as well. Matic might be better now but will also be on the wrong side of 30 in two weeks time.

Shaqiri won't be a starter for us so pointless discussing that.

And I'll take a gamble and say Keita would start for any of the teams mentioned, but we'll find out soon enough if that's true or not.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Liverpool spent over 160 ml on 4 players. None of them would be starters for City, United, Spurs, imho.
I think most people on redcafe don't understand how good Keita really is. Looking at all the praise someone like Kante gets around here I can't even fathom what kind of opinions you are going to get once Keita shows his abilities in the PL.
Liverpool was lucky to get Keita early because now every big club would be in for him and I have no doubt that he'd be a starter at any of those clubs (he is actually the kind of CM City is currently lacking).

CA1

Will they be referred to as "big spending Liverpool" by the media?

Will SKY put their first eleven cost against their oppositions when they play someone like Cardiff?

I'm very doubtful.

But make no mistake, they know. They're under huge pressure.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He lingered far too long with the ball at his feet, there's nothing that moves faster than the ball and especially not Can. The only disappointing thing is that we didn't get a transfer fee for him, otherwise I don't really care that he's gone. Fabinho will be a much better DM than Can ever was for us imo.
Can didn't reach the heights he could have at Liverpool, so for his sake I'm not disappointed he left (especially to a club like Juve) but I think Liverpool would've been better off with him. I don't know how much they tried to make him sign a new contract.

Kapardin

Don't think it's even true either.

No GK in the world would start ahead of De Gea, Alisson is better than Lloris and started over Ederson at the WC so definitely an argument to be made there.

I think Fabinho is better than Wanyama and I'd prefer him over an aging Fernandinho as well. Matic might be better now but will also be on the wrong side of 30 in two weeks time.

Shaqiri won't be a starter for us so pointless discussing that.

And I'll take a gamble and say Keita would start for any of the teams mentioned, but we'll find out soon enough if that's true or not.
I agree with most of what you said, discarding my bias. Just wanted to point out that Matic post 30 is not an old wreck. The big Serb is a tank, rarely gets injured and quite consistent. He will go strong for another 2 years atleast.

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool
As mentioned above Shaq is back up for us already- so pretty pointless comment?

You could look at what you have said in many ways. UTD have sign Fred from Ukraine and Dalot from Portugal for 70mill+ and neither would start for LFC, Spurs, City and arguably Arsenal/Chelsea?

Is this really relevant? i don't think so, how many of Croatia's team make the other top international sides, few. A team is a team, and some need certain positions, others need others.

Fernandinho, Wanyama, Matic all joined the PL and i bet then you could've said they wouldn't start at this team and that.

Havak

Pokemon master
Have to say Liverpool are building a good squad and trying to address the areas that cost them consistency in previous seasons. I wouldn't go as far as saying they're City's most realistic challengers this season though just based on the pure hype of their playing style and how they managed to best City more often than not last term. They still have to overthrow two other strong sides before getting anywhere near City and will have stiffer competition from the two sides that finished below them as well. It's all very much up in the air who finishes where. The only somewhat realistic conclusion for me right now is that City still finishes 1st and Arsenal finishes 6th. Though given that no side has defended the title for ages means it's a massive ask anyway, along with added pressure for City to go further in the Champion's League. So, long story short, no matter what Liverpool and the other sides do in the remainder of the transfer window, it's going to be anyone's guess until about 20 games in, IMO.

However, I think Liverpool's squad right now gives them one of their best ever chances to challenge. They've addressed the goalkeeping situation. They have a good CB at last (could do with adding another when possible). The fullbacks are young but improving fast. They've added better midfield players (I expect Henderson to be forced out of the best XI soon to be honest) and already have a good attack. They'll have to rely on Solanke, Sturridge and Origi as back-up at this rate, but they should have enough to get through a season. But yeah, another top CB and a better/more consistent striker for the bench would probably complete this side.

They've spent over £100m already though. I imagine they will sell Mignolet and a couple of squad players and possibly have the funds to add one more if required. I expect they'll rely on the fitness of Lallana in an attacking sense and hope that Oxlade-Chamberlain comes back strong later in the season.

Last edited:

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool
Decided to look into this. Assuming Alisson signs for Liverpool, Klopp will have spent 401,500,510 million pounds since becoming Liverpool manager.
Mourinho's currently spent 386,044,438 million (source: www.transfermarkt.com).

Interesting.
Klopp has started spending a fair whack more since LFC have become more financially healthy as a club. This is down to FSGs running of the club and helping provide us with bigger sponsors worldwide. They haven't been everyones cup of tea, but UTD fans as well, cannot argue it's taken a good while for LFC to spend good money. Combining this with two consecutive CL qualifications + a big big sale in Coutinho, no wonder LFC have decided to go for it a little more.

The difference between Klopp + Mourinho, i think is Klopp has managed clubs with stricter budgets, and done it successfully, whereas, really Mourinho has always had big budgets, or gone to sides that are already very successful. Both great managers.

To compare Klopp's spending at LFC with Mourinho as you have done, you really need to look at net spend. People hate the phrase, but it will show completely different types of spending.

Klopp has sold a very expensive and important player, whilst also selling some young players, meaning his net spend is pretty low comparably. So much so, LFC now have "the net spend boys" who cry season after season that our net spend is always too low!

Once that is compared, you will see that Mourinho while spending less (by 15 million) outright, his net spend is a lot higher.

I haven't been able to come across up-to-date figures on this, as i am making tea as well:), but Skysports had it at 18million in May for LFC and 417million for United. This is compared from June 14, and runs to May 18---so if we add Fabinho (40m), Alisson (55 rising to 64) and Shaq (13) it is around, 135million---minus Ward 12mill.

Net spend (roughly) 123 Million

Comparing this Mourinho and United, 417 plus 53 for Fred and 19 (i think) for Dalot. 489mill + minus 21 for sales of Blind and Johnstone.

Net spend (roughly) 478 million

Either way, there's a massive difference, like it or lump it!

I personally am happy to see LFC delving into the transfer market more + stopping this "moneyball" strategy.

TheReligion

Abusive
Klopp has started spending a fair whack more since LFC have become more financially healthy as a club. This is down to FSGs running of the club and helping provide us with bigger sponsors worldwide. They haven't been everyones cup of tea, but UTD fans as well, cannot argue it's taken a good while for LFC to spend good money. Combining this with two consecutive CL qualifications + a big big sale in Coutinho, no wonder LFC have decided to go for it a little more.

The difference between Klopp + Mourinho, i think is Klopp has managed clubs with stricter budgets, and done it successfully, whereas, really Mourinho has always had big budgets, or gone to sides that are already very successful. Both great managers.

To compare Klopp's spending at LFC with Mourinho as you have done, you really need to look at net spend. People hate the phrase, but it will show completely different types of spending.

Klopp has sold a very expensive and important player, whilst also selling some young players, meaning his net spend is pretty low comparably. So much so, LFC now have "the net spend boys" who cry season after season that our net spend is always too low!

Once that is compared, you will see that Mourinho while spending less (by 15 million) outright, his net spend is a lot higher.

I haven't been able to come across up-to-date figures on this, as i am making tea as well:), but Skysports had it at 18million in May for LFC and 417million for United. This is compared from June 14, and runs to May 18---so if we add Fabinho (40m), Alisson (55 rising to 64) and Shaq (13) it is around, 135million---minus Ward 12mill.

Net spend (roughly) 123 Million

Comparing this Mourinho and United, 417 plus 53 for Fred and 19 (i think) for Dalot. 489mill + minus 21 for sales of Blind and Johnstone.

Net spend (roughly) 478 million

Either way, there's a massive difference, like it or lump it!

I personally am happy to see LFC delving into the transfer market more + stopping this "moneyball" strategy.
Klopp has spent more than Mourinho which is a fact. United are a bigger club and have a bigger budget.

No more excuses. Would be a massive failure not to challenge after being one of the PLs biggest spenders!

Edit: you also got all the fees wrong. You've underpriced Liverpool's and overpriced United's to suit your agenda.

Fred and Dalot both cheaper, Fabinho cost more along with Keita who you missed out and Alisson is reported everywhere as £66m

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
As mentioned above Shaq is back up for us already- so pretty pointless comment?

You could look at what you have said in many ways. UTD have sign Fred from Ukraine and Dalot from Portugal for 70mill+ and neither would start for LFC, Spurs, City and arguably Arsenal/Chelsea?

Is this really relevant? i don't think so, how many of Croatia's team make the other top international sides, few. A team is a team, and some need certain positions, others need others.

Fernandinho, Wanyama, Matic all joined the PL and i bet then you could've said they wouldn't start at this team and that.
I think Fred would considering City tried to sign him. He'd also start at LFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.