Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

montpelier

It's mainly down to the Coutinho windfall which 'net spend' makes miraculously disappear to try & make the noble LFC 'plucky underdog' tag sustain, innit?

montpelier

Jurgen's gonna be looking like a dog with two dicks until some one beats them.

TheReligion

Abusive
How can you say that when you haven't seen him kick a ball in England yet?
Keita and Fabinho haven't but apparently they'd start ahead of Fred?

What I do know is City wanted Fred and he went to the WC over Fabinho. Think it's safe to say he would play at City and Liverpool no?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Klopp has started spending a fair whack more since LFC have become more financially healthy as a club. This is down to FSGs running of the club and helping provide us with bigger sponsors worldwide. They haven't been everyones cup of tea, but UTD fans as well, cannot argue it's taken a good while for LFC to spend good money. Combining this with two consecutive CL qualifications + a big big sale in Coutinho, no wonder LFC have decided to go for it a little more.
Liv have been spending big amounts on transfers for a long time now.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Keita and Fabinho haven't but apparently they'd start ahead of Fred?

What I do know is City wanted Fred and he went to the WC over Fabinho. Think it's safe to say he would play at City and Liverpool no?
I haven't made such a silly assumption because I've not seen any of those three players play in England.

Giroud went to the World Cup and Martial didn't. Who would you rather have playing up top for United? I don't know (and neither do you) who will be a better signing out of Fred and Fabinho. Wait and see how they do for their respective clubs.

El Zoido

They must be outspending City at this point surely? Never realised they were so wealthy.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
They must be outspending City at this point surely? Never realised they were so wealthy.
We’re not. We sold Coutinho for a load and got a big payout for our CL run.

I think that’s where a lot of the money comes from.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We're not. We can spend this because we've made more on sales than anyone in Europe in recent years. Not exactly a positive given some of the outgoing players.

Of course guys like the religion will say that we've spent more than united so the pressure is on, as if coutinho leaving means nothing and sanchez being a swap deal means no cost in the spending power accounting.

TheLiverBird

Couldn't care less about the spending comparisons tbh

All I care about is, are we starting to buy actual quality

Since Klopp has arrived, the answer a big fat yes and this puts a huge smile on my face

Allison
Mane
Salah
VVD
Keita
Fabinho
Ox
Shaqiri
Robertson

Much much much better quality than previous managers, all I am bothered about

Now we need to start showing these signings were worth it and actually start winning shiny things

Otherwise it will indeed be quite annoying

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I for one am pleased, that we're finally spending money. Have we paid over the odds for some of the signings? Probably. I don't really care though. What I care about is, if the team is strenghtened. We'll have to wait and see whether the team can live up to the expectations but it sure looks good so far.

Some have said, that there are no excuses any more. We have to deliver. I agree. It's Klopps team now, and he has been properly backed. 4th is absolute minimum now.

We are of course not favourites. City is. For what it's worth, I think we will fight for 2nd with Man United. Thats the realistic expectation imo, and if we get there, we will have had a good season league wise. How close we get to City defines if the season turns out great.

5th would be a disaster with the money spent and positive vibes surrounding us now. If we get there, questions should rightfully be asked.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Couldn't care less about the spending comparisons tbh

All I care about is, are we starting to buy actual quality

Since Klopp has arrived, the answer a big fat yes and this puts a huge smile on my face

Allison
Mane
Salah
VVD
Keita
Fabinho
Ox
Shaqiri
Robertson

Much much much better quality than previous managers, all I am bothered about

Now we need to start showing these signings were worth it and actually start winning shiny things

Otherwise it will indeed be quite annoying
That's it really isn't it? Klopp has to win something this season otherwise we have to admit it's a disappointing season.

TheLiverBird

That's it really isn't it? Klopp has to win something this season otherwise we have to admit it's a disappointing season.
Indeed as a fan I expect us now to start actually winning things

Granted Klopp in his 1st season got us to 2 Finals

and a CL Final this year, but now he has massively improved this squad since 2016, and even a more improved squad since that CL Final just a few months ago

we have to start getting across that line now, but I think this summers signings are a clear indication that we are hugely pushing to cross that line this season :)

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Not necessarily imo. We have to push forward though. Get closer to the top in the league, and go deeper in the cups.

We need to continue developing. Show that we're able to compete with the best. If we can do that it's a good season. Silverware would be fantastic obviously, but it doesn't make or break the season imo.

Kapardin

Not necessarily imo. We have to push forward though. Get closer to the top in the league, and go deeper in the cups.

We need to continue developing. Show that we're able to compete with the best. If we can do that it's a good season. Silverware would be fantastic obviously, but it doesn't make or break the season imo.
For Liverpool, a 2nd place without any cups is still progress for sure. But for Klopp, it would be a managerial failure as he now has the resources to win silverware.

Liverpool obviously won't mind, but it will probably mean Klopp's not the absolute elite among managers or tactically astute at cup competitions if he can't even win a domestic cup with this squad.

TheLiverBird

Certainly won't make or break the season I agree

But we have been challenging in cup competitions already, now he's strengthened quite a lot, really......we should be aiming to collecting that silverware now

I know thats the aim every season

But we've invested in a lot of quality, I'm positive success is beckoning

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Watching the Pre-season match against Blackburn now. Every time the ball comes to Karius, Blackburn fans are "ohhhhhhhhhh your shit..." before he kick the ball. No way we could put up with that next season away from home.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Nearly half of the money that Klopp has spent has come via the 'reluctant' sale of 2 players (Sterling & Coutinho). I know United fans hate the 'net-spend' narrative, but it plays a big part in how a club like Liverpool - who don't have the financial clout of City, United, & Chelsea - operate. So if you throw everything into the mix, we've actually laid out an average of £45 million per season for players over the past 3 years, & that's including the proposed purchase of Allison.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I think the main thing lacking in Liverpool's squad is experience and it's why I don't believe they'll be able to win anything big. They should have looked to get a couple of older players who have won the Premier League or the Champions League before.

I can see the inconsistency continuing despite the squad looking even better than last season and even if they get in a title race I don't believe they'll have what it takes. They've done a great job to get the squad they have though.

They need to take the cups seriously, same as Spurs. Doing things right in the transfer market is very important and both clubs have put themselves in a great position but if they don't win anything it runs the risk of it all being for nothing.

TheReligion

Abusive
I haven't made such a silly assumption because I've not seen any of those three players play in England.

Giroud went to the World Cup and Martial didn't. Who would you rather have playing up top for United? I don't know (and neither do you) who will be a better signing out of Fred and Fabinho. Wait and see how they do for their respective clubs.
It wasn't me that made the silly assumptions..

@Klopper76 meet @jack1092 and vice veraa

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
Keita looks great in pre-season so far. His through balls are so sweet, we should have scored 4 from his assists only in his 45 minutes.

Also, Alisson confirmed now.

We've reached the point when everybody will expect things from the team, and failure to compete/win will be treated as a failure. But it seems that we're capable of meeting the expectations for the first time in quite a while.

Trizy

To be honest even though I hate Liverpool I don't mind them spending big. They could have a squad of £50m+ players for all I care because it's their money.

I despise Chelsea but more so City for their success.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Salah and Mane also returning tomorrow. Can't the season just start already?

RepardReece

If Liverpool aren't challenging for the title towards the end of the season a lot of money has gone down the drain. It really would be a disappointing season.

In Deep

Supports
Scunthorpe
Great day for Liverpool. Decisive action.If Fekir or another attacking talent arrives,the sky would be the limit.Naby Keita is the one I am really looking forward to seeing this season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Keita looks great in pre-season so far. His through balls are so sweet, we should have scored 4 from his assists only in his 45 minutes.

Also, Alisson confirmed now.

We've reached the point when everybody will expect things from the team, and failure to compete/win will be treated as a failure. But it seems that we're capable of meeting the expectations for the first time in quite a while.
Chester, Tranmere and Bury isn't it?

Jojo <3 Mou

I wonder how they will face the extra pressure and expectations placed on them by all the big money spent and them overachieving last year.

People are actually expecting Liverpool to do things now.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
If Liverpool aren't challenging for the title towards the end of the season a lot of money has gone down the drain. It really would be a disappointing season.
Yea we should be at the minimum challenging. Klopp's spent alot but there was a lot of crap to replace, same with you guys. Then look at Citys squad before Pep came it was still littered with world class players and he's still outspent us both. That's what we're up against, in my opinion we both need to spend a few 100m more before we have a similar squad to City's

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You'd like to think so at £60+ million.

Another hugely expensive signing who has done little to justify his tag.
This is not the Fred thread mate.

Keita was £52.75m by the way but don't let facts get in your way.

The Bloody-Nine

You're easily pleased.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You're easily pleased.
It makes you enjoy the little things in life ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with him fwiw. Those with their "zero excuses" and "complete failure" comments should we not win a trophy this season are talking bollocks.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The boom/bust cycle is in full effect.

There are some absolute gems in this thread already and we're only up to page 8. Liverpool fans never fail to disappoint, bless 'em.

The Bloody-Nine

It makes you enjoy the little things in life ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with him fwiw. Those with their "zero excuses" and "complete failure" comments should we not win a trophy this season are talking bollocks.
Three years. No trophies. World record fees on a defender and a keeper. Fabinho. Keita. And you're fine with another year without a trophy? :lol:

Tell me this, when WILL you expect Klopp to actually win something? After another £200 million is spent?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
The boom/bust cycle is in full effect.

There are some absolute gems in this thread already and we're only up to page 8. Liverpool fans never fail to disappoint, bless 'em.
Quote them because I haven’t seen anyone suggest we’re going to win the league or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.