Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This is something I don't believe in. It certainly looks and feels like it right now but there's reason it has never happened and the most consecutive titles is still "only" 3. In other sports, this is true as well - the Warriors looked unstoppable only one or two years ago and now it looks like from next year on the league will be very competitive again. Things change so quickly, players might not adopt the new manager's style, an exodus of players who hit 30+, one or two key injuries, and most of all: complacency.

I don't think this City side will win 4 titles in a row.
I think it's possible they will have an off year where complacency sets in, but then can see them winning it again the next season etc, and overall being the dominant force in English football for the foreseeable future.

It's not like one side being dominant is at all alien to football, we've got plenty of leagues where one side has won league title after league title (Serie A and the Bundesliga being the key examples). Alright, English football is arguably more competitive than these leagues, but it's not like teams like Roma and Napoli have been terrible for example .. yet Juve are still able to dominate and they don't have anywhere near the resources of City. I think by saying 'Nah this can't happen here, English football is unique!' we're kidding ourselves, it definitely can happen.

I guess this is more a debate for the City thread or a general thread about the PL, but in terms of Liverpool I can see you playing a Dortmund or Napoli kind of role over the next few seasons. Competitive, maybe win a league title, run them close and will be the neutrals favourite, but ultimately fall short and gradually lose a few players to the super clubs. Possible I'm wrong (especially since a key advantage you have over these teams is that you do have significant resources of your own as seen with VVD/Alisson/Keita coming in) but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I have just never seen it with Fabinho, even at Monaco. Others raved about him and I just saw a tidy midfielder but lacking any kind of wow factor .. but then I guess his job isn't to dazzle.

Keita on the other hand I thought was going to be immense at you having watched him quite a few times at Leipzig. Just saw him as a perfect Klopp player, tons of energy and drive with genuine technical quality. Hasn't quite worked out that way for you thus far, but if he does come to life then you'll be a scary prospect.
Hamann didn't have a wow factor either but he was far more than tidy. I see a similar player in Fabinho in time.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Liverpool had made the best ever start in the club's history and on course for 98 points - that is incredible.
I genuinely doubt they'll keep up this level. Will likely end somewhere around 87-90ish.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah, if Liverpool manage to keep up with City this season then they've done a really fecking good job.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'll get in trouble for this but I'd rather see them win the title than City again.

Too many Berties where I live, its a bloody headache.
Yeah but with City now surely it's 'been there done that'. They've won it quite a few times so another time wouldn't be such a big deal.

Whereas with Liverpool nobody would hear the end of it for a good while, and it would be pretty much the ultimate slap in United's face (whilst you guys struggle, both your biggest rivals flourish with league titles). I guess it's a hard fecking choice though, because the flip side is City building up a proper legacy with title after title.

sugar_kane

To be honest the idea of them finally winning the league after so long is so stressful that when they actually win it will be a slight relief.

I’ll just ignore any football related media for a few months and it’ll be reet. They’ll lose their underdogs status, the journos will have wanked themselves dry and they can adapt to the new pressure of having to actually follow up achievement instead of failure.

For a club their size it’s bound to happen at some point, especially with the manager and financial backing they have.

Nb - think I’m basically trying to make peace with the idea as I actually think they’ll win it this year.

BlueHaze

I'll get in trouble for this but I'd rather see them win the title than City again.

Too many Berties where I live, its a bloody headache.
There is something wrong with you if you are a life long Man Utd supporter and claim you would rather see Liverpool win the title over anyone. I'd rather toss a skunks arse then have those bastards winning the league.

untitled_6899

They rarely get any injuries and have enough quality outside their first 11 to push City close this year

I think they’ll win it (City will focus on Europe and lose momentum in the league)

Josh 76

Clean sheets and now the goals comming too.
Still a one horse race ?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I though I'd never see Chelsea's record of 15 goals conceded all season be beaten but they have a great shot at it.

They're on course for 14 goals conceded.

Member 114837

So, are is this their year?
No, I don't think so. The rub of the green has to eventually balance out over the season. Also, Liverpool's injury luck over the year has been alarming, this year they are down to two healthy CB at this point, VVD and Matip.

Member 114837

I though I'd never see Chelsea's record of 15 goals conceded all season be beaten but they have a great shot at it.

They're on course for 14 goals conceded.
Chelsea's defence was much more superior. And they had the best DM I have seen in my life. Liverpool, except VVD and Gomez do not have top level center-backs and now Gomez is injured.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh 76

To be honest the idea of them finally winning the league after so long is so stressful that when they actually win it will be a slight relief.

I’ll just ignore any football related media for a few months and it’ll be reet. They’ll lose their underdogs status, the journos will have wanked themselves dry and they can adapt to the new pressure of having to actually follow up achievement instead of failure.

For a club their size it’s bound to happen at some point, especially with the manager and financial backing they have.

Nb - think I’m basically trying to make peace with the idea as I actually think they’ll win it this year.
I kind of agree with what you are saying in a weird way.

Fridge chutney

I respect the Liverpool project (what they're doing as a club) much more than what City's doing.

Liverpool are self sustaining and have faced losing their best players over the years, including last year. They aren't in cheat mode and what they're doing is respectable. Building from the ground up. And even integrating some english/academy talent.

That said, I don't want them to win the league and I still think Klopp is a dick!

Fridge chutney

We can't judge Keita or Fabinho yet. They've been at Liverpool 3 months. Give them a year to settle.

I say the same about Fred and Dalot (Although both have looked good) or any other new player to the premier league.

Josh 76

Liverpool will be top by next Monday. Then the gap will creep open. If Liverpool can beat City in January, the title will be in Liverpool's hands. City buckle under pressure. Klopp has played a blinder so far by playing defensive and saving the press game when the clocks go forward.
I don't want to say it, but I told you so!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I mean, this could easily swing back the other way next weekend. We fecking love a draw. I wouldn’t make much of it until they play on Jan 3rd. Obviously a good result for Liverpool tonight though.

ZlatMan

Our chance against Liverpool depend on the Napoli game. If they get a hiding and went out, we might stand a chance of winning at Anfield

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In light of recent events, Liverpool being top top top of the league in December, are fans of the club now prepared to accept that a title challenge is well and truly on?

Mick321

They are an exceptional side, underrated because some of their performances aren't as flashy as last season but I still don't think they'll win it, there's another side just a little bit better regardless of the table tonight.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
In light of recent events, Liverpool being top top top of the league in December, are fans of the club now prepared to accept that a title challenge is well and truly on?
It's always been a title challenge.

I still have City as good favorites, with KDB and Aguero coming back.

GeorgieBoy

It’s going to be humiliating when they stick 3 past us and dominate the whole game next week.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
feck off with the whole Liverpool aren't challenging nonsense. They're top now. Urgh. Sickening stuff.

BaseFishing

I see constant bashing on anyone who says they would rather Liverpool win the title than City, but I don't really get it.

City, while they play great football most of the time, are the much less romantic club to win it - they're practically owned by a state and their domination of the league last season, if repeated, would make the Premier League much less interesting.

Liverpool, not only haven't spent anywhere near as much money in the last few years, but also don't rely on morally questionable (at best) financial sources. Their manager, while at times irritating, comes across as a good guy and is (radical opinion incoming) the closest thing we have to Fergie in the game at the moment, at least in terms of his attitude and his style of play.

I totally understand the argument "But they're Liverpool". I get it. But it's really not a good argument, if it's an argument at all.

I don't care if you have a friend who's an idiot and he supports Liverpool or if your family has hated Liverpool for generations, those are also terrible reasons for disliking a club.

Anyway, this is all just to say that, stupid tribalism aside, I'd much rather Liverpool win it over City this year, for all of the reasons above.

Mick321

I'm not really bothered who wins, obviously if it's not us I'd prefer anyone else to City or Liverpool but I'm getting good at switching off over the summer so won't see who's getting all the hype. And I just want us to be good again so we aren't relying on other to stop City, Liverpool whatever. I think it'd be good for the sport here if Liverpool win it v financial dopers but really I don't care much.

JSArsenal

Come on Mourinho, break this Liverpool team next week. Another season or two of no trophies and they will collapse into mediocrity again as Klopp and their best players leave.

The last thing I want as an Arsenal fan is another Premier League winning team at the top of the table. There's already enough competition with Chelsea and City there. This reminds me of our 2007-08 season, we were playing great football but ultimately failed. What happened? Instead of pushing on the next season and going from strength to strength that squad was broken up and we collapsed.

I pray the same happens to Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.