Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I see constant bashing on anyone who says they would rather Liverpool win the title than City, but I don't really get it.

City, while they play great football most of the time, are the much less romantic club to win it - they're practically owned by a state and their domination of the league last season, if repeated, would make the Premier League much less interesting.

Liverpool, not only haven't spent anywhere near as much money in the last few years, but also don't rely on morally questionable (at best) financial sources. Their manager, while at times irritating, comes across as a good guy and is (radical opinion incoming) the closest thing we have to Fergie in the game at the moment, at least in terms of his attitude and his style of play.

I totally understand the argument "But they're Liverpool". I get it. But it's really not a good argument, if it's an argument at all.

I don't care if you have a friend who's an idiot and he supports Liverpool or if your family has hated Liverpool for generations, those are also terrible reasons for disliking a club.

Anyway, this is all just to say that, stupid tribalism aside, I'd much rather Liverpool win it over City this year, for all of the reasons above.
I dislike City almost as much as Liverpool, to be honest, but I don't consider their recent success to be relevant due to the manner in which they acquired it (which is the case for many football fans).

The same cannot be said of Liverpool, unfortunately. Should they go on to win the league this year (they won't) we would never hear the end of it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I see constant bashing on anyone who says they would rather Liverpool win the title than City, but I don't really get it.

City, while they play great football most of the time, are the much less romantic club to win it - they're practically owned by a state and their domination of the league last season, if repeated, would make the Premier League much less interesting.

Liverpool, not only haven't spent anywhere near as much money in the last few years, but also don't rely on morally questionable (at best) financial sources. Their manager, while at times irritating, comes across as a good guy and is (radical opinion incoming) the closest thing we have to Fergie in the game at the moment, at least in terms of his attitude and his style of play.

I totally understand the argument "But they're Liverpool". I get it. But it's really not a good argument, if it's an argument at all.

I don't care if you have a friend who's an idiot and he supports Liverpool or if your family has hated Liverpool for generations, those are also terrible reasons for disliking a club.

Anyway, this is all just to say that, stupid tribalism aside, I'd much rather Liverpool win it over City this year, for all of the reasons above.
Football is tribalism. If it wasn’t, you’d just switch teams you support all the time based on how your team is doing at a certain point.

Josh 76

To be fair you were more spot on than most of us Liverpool fans. That doesn't make you a Liverpool fan, just more of a realist.
When I watch Liverpool, they remind me of Mourhinos Chelsea team of 2004-06 era. They look very solid at the back and then have players up front who always seem to get the goals when you need them. My predictions are based on those comparisons. City seem to be great on the eye, but they don't seem as stable as Liverpool. When they are put under pressure (which they are no used to) they do seem to bottle it. (Last seasons champions league against Liverpool being a prime example). This season Liverpool are testing them on a weekly basis, and Pep is finding it difficult to deal with.
I predict Liverpool won't lose at the Etihad next month.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Klopp is a fantastic manager you have to admit. I know many on here cant even get their minds to imagine it, but he wouldve been the dream candidate to replace Sir Alex. Plays great attacking football and knows how to build a top side.
Hopefully City can beat them to the title, but this season has been so fecking predictable in so many ways and anyone who couldnt see this massive improvement from chelsea/liverpool and a huge decline from United coming from a mile off is seriously blinkered. Feck em, but they're very much trending upwards while we're trending downwards. I just hope Pep stays at City long enough to outlast Klopp and Liverpool dont win a title.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
It’s going to be humiliating when they stick 3 past us and dominate the whole game next week.
Bollocks to that. This has got a Mourinho 0-1 written all over it. Pitch side knee slide for extra points.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Klopp is a fantastic manager you have to admit. I know many on here cant even get their minds to imagine it, but he wouldve been the dream candidate to replace Sir Alex. Plays great attacking football and knows how to build a top side.
Hopefully City can beat them to the title, but this season has been so fecking predictable in so many ways and anyone who couldnt see this massive improvement from chelsea/liverpool and a huge decline from United coming from a mile off is seriously blinkered. Feck em, but they're very much trending upwards while we're trending downwards. I just hope Pep stays at City long enough to outlast Klopp and Liverpool dont win a title.
I'd rather Guardiola fecks off at the end of the season and we replace Mourinho with someone half decent and win it ourselves. Liverpool are perennial bottlers, I'm not worried about them winning it. One trophy in 10 years. The northern Spurs.

BaseFishing

I dislike City almost as much as Liverpool, to be honest, but I don't consider their recent success to be relevant due to the manner in which they acquired it (which is the case for many football fans).

The same cannot be said of Liverpool, unfortunately. Should they go on to win the league this year (they won't) we would never hear the end of it.
It might be different for you of course, so I don't deny that, it's just that I don't know anybody who supports Liverpool so most of the people I "hear" about football are literally just on this forum and on reddit, so that's why I wouldn't be that bothered.

Wayne's World

Long way away yet...be interesting to see how they handle the pressure of being top and not being the one chasing...

We need a big performance next week though...they will expect to destroy us but stay in the game and their fans will get anxious

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It might be different for you of course, so I don't deny that, it's just that I don't know anybody who supports Liverpool so most of the people I "hear" about football are literally just on this forum and on reddit, so that's why I wouldn't be that bothered.
I can understand that.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Begrudgingly have to respect this lot. Going about things the right way. They play good football and have a good combination of expensive marquee signings (Keita, Allison, Van Dyke), good players that were bought at decent prices and improved/appreciated in value (Salah, Firmino, Mane), average players playing well with the right structure/coaching (Milner, Matip, Henderson, Wijnaldum), and good young players who are constantly improving (TAA, Robertson, Gomez).

I don't really care if I am barred from the prestigious ToPrED society, I think the way they go about things is much more deservibg of winning the PL than the cheating Abu Dhabi PR machine.

Obviously would be better if neither wins it!

BaseFishing

Football is tribalism. If it wasn’t, you’d just switch teams you support all the time based on how your team is doing at a certain point.
There's one extreme (tribalism) and then there's another (switching teams all the time).

There is a place in between I think, which is where I am most of the time, where after so many years and different managers, atmosphere, style of play, players, etc, I still support United. And yet, I do constantly find myself liking clubs based on their current personnel and current playing style.

Like this year, I've enjoyed watching Dortmund a lot and usually root for them, even though for the last few years since Klopp left I hadn't paid them much attention.

The same with the fact I like Bournemouth at the moment cause I want a young English manager to do well, but once he goes I'm gonna have absolutely no positive or negative opinion on the club.

Bringing it back to Liverpool - their current personnel and style is (for the most part) fairly likable, at least more so than City's. That's all I'm saying.

It doesn't have to be either tribalism or manically switching clubs depending on who's having a good month. There's place in between that's reasonable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd rather Guardiola fecks off at the end of the season and we replace Mourinho with someone half decent and win it ourselves. Liverpool are perennial bottlers, I'm not worried about them winning it. One trophy in 10 years. The northern Spurs.
Everything ends eventually, they'll eventually win the title again. It's definitely hard to see us winning it before they do though. We need drastic changes. A new manager of course to start off, but also the whole direction of the club and focus of it needs to go back to football. Liverpool is already there with the right manager, more funds being moved to the team, and an excellent squad of players at good ages. If Pep leaves at the end of the season Liverpool is easily the biggest favourites for the title. United doesn't even come into the discussion really. We're behind City, Liverpool, Chelsea, and now are looking even behind both Spurs and Arsenal. Not just in terms of the league table, but squad of players, the manager, the coaching, the direction of the club, etc.. I genuinely see us as in the worst club of the top 6 in terms of being prepared for success in the near future. We can spend as much as we like, but we aren't going to suddenly turn around and win it just by a managerial appointment. It's a must of course and just compounds the problem, but as a club we aren't focused either and that'll hold us back IMO.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Begrudgingly have to respect this lot. Going about things the right way. They play good football and have a good combination of expensive marquee signings (Keita, Allison, Van Dyke), good players that were bought at decent prices and improved/appreciated in value (Salah, Firmino, Mane), average players playing well with the right structure/coaching (Milner, Matip, Henderson, Wijnaldum), and good young players who are constantly improving (TAA, Robertson, Gomez).

I don't really care if I am barred from the prestigious ToPrED society, I think the way they go about things is much more deservibg of winning the PL than the cheating Abu Dhabi PR machine.

Obviously would be better if neither wins it!
Since when did you have to be a Top Red in order to loathe Liverpool?

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Since when did have to be a Top Red in order to loathe Liverpool?
Oh trust me my friend, I loathe them. I just don't think I loathe City less.

Not that I have a good way to measure who I dislike more, but I'm sick of City and PSG and their 'business models'.

Let's hope somehow both collapse and someone else wins it but to me, if it is one of them, it is not very obvious who I hate seeing win it more.

Strachans Cigar

When I watch Liverpool, they remind me of Mourhinos Chelsea team of 2004-06 era. They look very solid at the back and then have players up front who always seem to get the goals when you need them. My predictions are based on those comparisons. City seem to be great on the eye, but they don't seem as stable as Liverpool. When they are put under pressure (which they are no used to) they do seem to bottle it. (Last seasons champions league against Liverpool being a prime example). This season Liverpool are testing them on a weekly basis, and Pep is finding it difficult to deal with.
I predict Liverpool won't lose at the Etihad next month.
Tbf, thought City more than matched the scousers at Anfield in the league.

I think City are a better team, but the Scousers seem to have everything going in their favour, latest example being last week v Everton.

Could come down to squad depth & luck with injuries ultimately; we know City have incredible squad depth that the scousers just cannot match.

Deleted member 101472

feck sake. Liverpool winning the league is unthinkable, and it will be for as long as I’m alive. Feck them, their Entire staff and all the WUM pool fans on here.

Irwin99

Not overly worried. A big trend for Liverpool over the years is that when they've come very close to winning the title race they always balls it up and it always negatively carries over to the following season. I wonder if an early champions league exit would help them this time though :nervous:

I'm not reaching the same level of fear as in 13/14. Nowhere near that level of panic yet.

ekestubbe

I really like your post. I too have a hard time understanding all the hate that exists among football fans today. Rivalry I understand fully. I even grew up with three brothers and we are all competitive. But for me the leap from rivalry to hatred is incredibly far. Yet so many people today seem to take it without much thought.

I see a lot of hate in general in today's society so perhaps this isn't confined to football alone. Those of you who were adults during the 80s and 90s - was it the same back then?

Reactions: Sultan

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
At least if they win the league this year, it will be deserved and at the expense of City. None of that spawny Istanbul gubbins.

Given where we and they are at the moment, this really wouldn’t be as painful as it would in previous years. If Gerrard hadn’t slipped, that would have been a nightmare. Liverpool putting a swift end to City’s period of domination while we’re asleep as a club isn’t a nightmare to me.

But to be clear, I neither want or think it will happen.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Just a few years ago one of their players racially abused one of ours.

Instead of that club condemning it, they defended him culminating in that awful tshirt episode. In this day and age even..

Feck Liverpool

BlueHaze

We are Man Utd, they are Liverpool, that is more than enough for a reason.

montpelier

Bollocks to that. This has got a Mourinho 0-1 written all over it. Pitch side knee slide for extra points.
I hope he's careering around the Kop penalty area whirling his coat around above his head after a winning Utd penalty that never was. but I don't see it occurring in the real world somehow.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Since when did you have to be a Top Red in order to loathe Liverpool?
Exactly.

Also, I've seen a few people say they respect Liverpool more and identify with the romanticism of that club as opposed to City and hence that makes them a more deserving /proper champion.

That's the entire fecking point. Apart from all of us despising Liverpool the most, City and Chelsea (obviously not a true rival) winning the league doesn't hurt as much *because* them winning is hollow. I don't want a glorious and romantic win for our biggest rival. Let the shallow ones get it. It's easier to deal with, and that's not considering Liverpool being our closest domestic rivals historically.

Ban

Even if they won't win it this year they won't go anywhere. Klopp certainly won't leave, Pep probably could and Liverpool will still be up there. Hopefully our board will snap out of it and focus more on football as @bosnian_red said, find a way for us to come up the top. Being more worried about what's happening on the pitch rather than signing new sponsors and being happy with money coming in. Cause if we'll be stagnating money there will be less money in a long run.

Ban

Exactly.

Also, I've seen a few people say they respect Liverpool more and identify with the romanticism of that club as opposed to City and hence that makes them a more deserving /proper champion.

That's the entire fecking point. Apart from all of us despising Liverpool the most, City and Chelsea (obviously not a true rival) winning the league doesn't hurt as much *because* them winning is hollow. I don't want a glorious and romantic win for our biggest rival. Let the shallow ones get it. It's easier to deal with, and that's not considering Liverpool being our closest domestic rivals historically.
Poster above said he doesn't know anyone who supports them. I know maybe 2, 3 people but would still hate them seeing win it. I keep track with English media a lot and I just know there would be a huge media wankfest.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
On top of our struggles have to look at them on top. Annoying to say the least.
Klopp never won against Jose in EPL, let's keep that tradition.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Klopp never won against Jose in EPL, let's keep that tradition.
Wrong! As a new Liverpool manager, Klopp beat Mourinho's Chelsea 3:1 at Stamford Bridge.. That was actually his first win in the Premier League :lol:

deafepl

Damn... Well, he never beat this United machine that Jose created!
Keep in minds, he never beat United in league since he was appointed as Liverpool coaches and it's been 4 years since Liverpool can't beat us shit.

MuranoLover

Long way to the title , but if they win it , it means they deserve it .

Away to Bournemouth was to be a difficult game , but it came really easy . Lets see what happens , but City has lots of injuries and if it goes this way , it can happen .

Status
Not open for further replies.