Liverpool 2020-21

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's on £200-210k per week while Varane will reportedly be around £350k per week which is indeed something we can't afford. You'd be crazy to believe Varane exclusively wanted to come to Utd because he likes a challenge or because he wants to play for OSG or something like that, but that's just my opinion. He'd have been just as happy to join City or Liverpool if we were offering the same conditions. Liverpool can't afford to pay someone £250k per week let alone £350k, even signing Thiago on the wages that he is on was as big a stretch as we could probably make without making at least some of our other top players unhappy.
Do you have a source for that or have you made it of thin air?

Cos French sources say otherwise, unless you think Maguire also earns 350k/week. It's unbelievable how people are so gullible to believe twitter trolls just because they want too.

and again you've a 15% higher wage bill than us, indeed you could've afforded it. It's not like you're paying peanuts to your players.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It is kind of tough watching one our biggest rivals from the past spending 350 plus million in the last few years. It’s a miracle what Klopp has done. That being said if united aren’t the favorites to win it now I don’t know when they will be. There shouldn’t be another thread ever complaining about City and their spending going forward or it will reek of hypocracy. united are easy favorites now.
Klopp has spent 600mil on players the past few years. Pep 900mil+.

Ole is only getting started.

Last edited:

Posh Red

He's on £200-210k per week while Varane will reportedly be around £350k per week which is indeed something we can't afford. You'd be crazy to believe Varane exclusively wanted to come to Utd because he likes a challenge or because he wants to play for OSG or something like that, but that's just my opinion. He'd have been just as happy to join City or Liverpool if we were offering the same conditions. Liverpool can't afford to pay someone £250k per week let alone £350k, even signing Thiago on the wages that he is on was as big a stretch as we could probably make without making at least some of our other top players unhappy.
Where have you heard 350k? The decent sources are reporting a far lower wage than that

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Cos French sources say otherwise, unless you think Maguire also earns 350k/week. It's unbelievable how people are so gullible to believe twitter trolls just because they want too.

and again you've a 15% higher wage bill than us, indeed you could've afforded it. It's not like you're paying peanuts to your players.
Really? You don't see the irony in your post? :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's higher and by atleast 15%

Liverpool are just like anyother big European club i.e they pay their players a big wage to play for their club. I'm not sure if there's a surprise element to it.

Also think it's bollocks that you didn't sign Varane just because you couldn't afford too. Thiago you signed last year is in the same age group and pretty sure he'd be on big wages too.
Damn...is this true? fecking hell, for years they (and media) sell us a story how Pool's wages are lower than in any big club.
Do you maybe have 2020/2021 season stat (or point me to that page)? And wages comparing with income percentage?

My Pool friend is selling me a story for years how they are poor and we buy success etc.... :rolleyes:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Yeah, much better to base yourself on... Madrid Xtra :lol:

Selon les informations de l'Équipe, le triple vainqueur de la Ligue des Champions avec les Merengue toucherait quasiment le double du salaire qu'il touche actuellement à Madrid
Put it through Google Translate yourself if you want to, but I guess you'll have heard of l'Equipe before. I'm not saying it's true but it's as good a guess to base myself on - French sources have been saying he'll earn double his Real wages at United and multiple websites show he's on €170-180k per week there right now.

KM

Damn...is this true? fecking hell, for years they (and media) sell us a story how Pool's wages are lower than in any big club.
Do you maybe have 2020/2021 season stat (or point me to that page)? And wages comparing with income percentage?

My Pool friend is selling me a story for years how they are poor and we buy success etc.... :rolleyes:
2020/21 finances won't be available due to the fact that none of the club have posted their full year finances.
Wages comparison with income for 18/19 is below:

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not sure where you're getting the Varane wage but it's being reported is the same basic as Maguire. Obviously they'll be bonus payments, especially as we picked him up so cheaply.

TheReligion

Abusive

Put it through Google Translate yourself if you want to, but I guess you'll have heard of l'Equipe before. I'm not saying it's true but it's as good a guess to base myself on - French sources have been saying he'll earn double his Real wages at United and multiple websites show he's on €170-180k per week there right now.
It's L'equipe btw

KM

Are you actually dumb? Madrid Xtra don't have sources on their own, they are twitter aggregators, the tweet I posted was actually reported by L'Equipe only and they only reposted it. It's literally written in the tweet itself.
Jesus christ :lol:

I see @Dumbstar has made the same mistake, but given his intelligence, I kinda expected him to.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Are you actually dumb? Madrid Xtra don't have sources on their own, they are twitter aggregators, the tweet I posted was actually reported by L'Equipe only and they only reposted it.
Jesus christ :lol:
And why do you think their Tweet is more trustworthy than the other "Twitter trolls" which quote double his salary, and other sources actually also quoting L'Équipe? Never mind I guess.

KM

And why do you think their Tweet is more trustworthy than the other "Twitter trolls" which quote double his salary, and other sources actually also quoting L'Équipe? Never mind I guess.
Yeah dude we are actually paying our players 400k, whilst poor old Liverpool who magically have a 15% higher wage bill than United are too skint to pay that to players, never mind I guess.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
2020/21 finances won't be available due to the fact that none of the club have posted their full year finances.
Wages comparison with income for 19/20 is below:

Thanks man. And again, i am in shock. How this can be true? For years and years i read how we have biggest wages and on other hand, how Liverpool have "great" and balanced wage structure. On RAWK they call our team "the most expensive ever" etc....

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah dude we are actually paying our players 400k, whilst poor old Liverpool who magically have a 15% higher wage bill than United are too skint to pay that to players, never mind I guess.
We probably couldn't afford his fee or are looking elsewhere and even if we could, we couldn't afford his salary demands. That's what I believe and it's totally fine if you disagree with that, don't know why you are being such a cnut about it.

Real Name

It is kind of tough watching one our biggest rivals from the past spending 350 plus million in the last few years. It’s a miracle what Klopp has done. That being said if united aren’t the favorites to win it now I don’t know when they will be. There shouldn’t be another thread ever complaining about City and their spending going forward or it will reek of hypocracy. united are easy favorites now.
Yeah miracle, since Liverpool players are paying on peanuts and Klopp doesnt spend any money. Revolutionary I'd say.

KM

We probably couldn't afford his fee or are looking elsewhere and even if we could, we couldn't afford his salary demands. That's what I believe and it's totally fine if you disagree with that, don't know why you are being such a cnut about it.
Not sure how I'm being a cnut about it all this but anyhow.

El Jefe

I don't know about that 2019/20 wage chart but last season we definitely spent more of wages than Liverpool. We pay our players more than they do.

romufc

You know what's funny about it? Some people will read £350k on the mirror and say thats the wage he is on but other sources like you have mentioned will mention a lower wage but the same people will say "Not reputable source"

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What’s your source?

L'Équipe articles are behind a paywall but GFFN is as good a source as anyone on Twitter and they are quoting them directly. They are saying he's gonna double his salary and he'll earn around €250k per week. But all other signs point to him earning £170-180k at Real at the moment. So either they got their calculations wrong, or maybe it's a thing with wages being reported differently (before/after taxes, dunno). So fair enough if his actual wages are lower than €340-350k but I'm not making it up out of thin air either. If you or anyone else believe he'll be on €250k because it's reported he'll earn the same as Maguire as well (which is true), then fair enough, but that would either mean the "doubling his salary" claims are false or that he'll "only" go from €170-180k to €250k which (to me) seems like a low step-up.

Either way, even if it's €250k that would've priced Liverpool out of the equation since our top earners are around €200k per week. It's not because our wage bill in total is higher that our wage structure can support bringing in a €250k defender all of a sudden, that's a flawed way to look at it imo.

You've got a terrific defender on a very good deal no doubt. Even if it is €350k in the end it's still probably gonna be worth it.

El Jefe

Loads of pages on Google. They all point towards us spending more than Liverpool.

Since 19-20 Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Henderson have all had new deals kick in. No Liverpool player earns what DDG or Pogba earn. Now that we've added Sancho and Varane I expect this to increase even more that's if no sales are made.

romufc

Loads of pages on Google. They all point towards us spending more than Liverpool.

Since 19-20 Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Henderson have all had new deals kick in. No Liverpool player earns what DDG or Pogba earn. Now that we've added Sancho and Varane I expect this to increase even more that's if no sales are made.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...bill-compares-to-their-19-20-league-position/

Please see attached. United are 3rd £42m less than Liverpool.

Also, I do like your narrative. Martial signed a deal in Jan 2019. Rashford's new deal was Jul 19. So I am not sure how those wages are kicking in now.

Are you trying to say that none of LFC players have got new contracts or they haven't signed anyone since? You must be having a laugh mate.

Morpheus 7

L'Équipe articles are behind a paywall but GFFN is as good a source as anyone on Twitter and they are quoting them directly. They are saying he's gonna double his salary and he'll earn around €250k per week. But all other signs point to him earning £170-180k at Real at the moment. So either they got their calculations wrong, or maybe it's a thing with wages being reported differently (before/after taxes, dunno). So fair enough if his actual wages are lower than €340-350k but I'm not making it up out of thin air either. If you or anyone else believe he'll be on €250k because it's reported he'll earn the same as Maguire as well (which is true), then fair enough, but that would either mean the "doubling his salary" claims are false or that he'll "only" go from €170-180k to €250k which (to me) seems like a low step-up.

Either way, even if it's €250k that would've priced Liverpool out of the equation since our top earners are around €200k per week. It's not because our wage bill in total is higher that our wage structure can support bringing in a €250k defender all of a sudden, that's a flawed way to look at it imo.

You've got a terrific defender on a very good deal no doubt. Even if it is €350k in the end it's still probably gonna be worth it.
It's easier to just take what L'Équipe says as gospel so early when nothing is revealed yet. Other reports are saying he's on the same money as Maguire. The it takes Liverpool out of the equation is a defense mechanism, it doesn't fit our model bullshit, considering you broke the bank at the time to buy Van Djik, which was a class transfer. Scouse logic, never try and understand it. It's encouraging seeing rival fans trying to find holes in the deal of the Summer. You can taste the saltyness, good sign. I wouldn't want rival clubs getting him either.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It's easier to just take what L'Équipe says as gospel so early when nothing is revealed yet. Other reports are saying he's on the same money as Maguire. The it takes Liverpool out of the equation is a defense mechanism, it doesn't fit our model bullshit, considering you broke the bank at the time to buy Van Djik, which was a class transfer. Scouse logic, never try and understand it. It's encouraging seeing rival fans trying to find holes in the deal of the Summer. You can taste the saltyness, good sign. I wouldn't want rival clubs getting him either.
Nah, not really true. I'm not sure how I'm trying to find holes in your "Deal of the Summer" when I explicitly said it's an excellent piece of business and I think he'll be great for you. It just irks me that some fans (not aimed at you, but e.g. on Twitter and some on here as well) think players are still joining clubs because of tradition and heritage. While it might play a part, it's the money that matters and I do believe that we couldn't pay him what he wanted. It's clear that his demands far exceed our current top earners. Most on here keep banging on that we don't have money to spend, and it's simply true.

At the time we bought Alisson and Van Dijk we had a lot of dispensable money because of the Coutinho (and other) sales. And while the fee was enormous, we signed him on £125k per week wages which is an important part in that whole story.

But congrats, you already got two excellent and exciting players this offseason. Not sure how I'm salty, I have more confidence in Liverpool than I'm afraid of United, if Van Dijk returns to full fitness.

Well maybe that was true and they happened to be shit back then too. Now they're actually good again their wages are back at the top.

Wages comparison with income for 18/19 is below:

This is the chart that actually matters. Funny to see Spurs at the bottom and we are in good shape. It's worrying for teams like Bournemouth who drop down and see their revenues cut.

City would be nowhere near mid table without the dirty money.

manc exile

Supports
City
Thanks man. And again, i am in shock. How this can be true? For years and years i read how we have biggest wages and on other hand, how Liverpool have "great" and balanced wage structure. On RAWK they call our team "the most expensive ever" etc....
we do have the highest wages but we also have the highest turnover therefore the percentage on wages is lower

podurban2

Nah, not really true. I'm not sure how I'm trying to find holes in your "Deal of the Summer" when I explicitly said it's an excellent piece of business and I think he'll be great for you. It just irks me that some fans (not aimed at you, but e.g. on Twitter and some on here as well) think players are still joining clubs because of tradition and heritage. While it might play a part, it's the money that matters and I do believe that we couldn't pay him what he wanted. It's clear that his demands far exceed our current top earners. Most on here keep banging on that we don't have money to spend, and it's simply true.

At the time we bought Alisson and Van Dijk we had a lot of dispensable money because of the Coutinho (and other) sales. And while the fee was enormous, we signed him on £125k per week wages which is an important part in that whole story.

But congrats, you already got two excellent and exciting players this offseason. Not sure how I'm salty, I have more confidence in Liverpool than I'm afraid of United, if Van Dijk returns to full fitness.
So you can’t afford to attract top players anymore? And you don’t have a Coutinho type player to sell in order to boost your funds. That’s one reason a player like Varane would not want to join your project, just saying.

Morpheus 7

Good post that, money has to be a huge factor. Any fan thinking other wise is kidding themselves, he did like United when he was a kid and playing in prem has something to do with it. Maybe a mix of things.

Are you confident VVD can comeback as good as before? Not being hateful either, be interesting to see how he returns. Zlatan was not the same for 2 years after his, maybe even 2 and a half before he was the old zlatan. Then again he was older, horrible injury. Liverpool are an interesting one this year, I expect them to be fitter and better with fans. I think Liverpool should have freshened up the team, it's getting older up top now. All 29, it's not old but has that line peaked, suppose we'll see. I personally think this is the last year or two of klopp at Liverpool, need a rebuild in a year or two. He's been great for you'se as much as it pains me to say, can't deny it. Be a more competitive league this year I think with us City and Chelsea.

webbs

I can't post tweets yet. But I've seen a few sources saying Varane will earn 11M € at United so I'm not sure where these rumours of him being on 350-400K a week are coming from. If it was remotely true, then Liverpool fans wouldn't need to pick up that issue. Our own media would be writing 100 articles on it.

El Jefe

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...bill-compares-to-their-19-20-league-position/

Please see attached. United are 3rd £42m less than Liverpool.

Also, I do like your narrative. Martial signed a deal in Jan 2019. Rashford's new deal was Jul 19. So I am not sure how those wages are kicking in now.

Are you trying to say that none of LFC players have got new contracts or they haven't signed anyone since? You must be having a laugh mate.
Why are you posting 2019-20 figures my point was about 2020-21 and beyond. Point is the full wages for the year of those players only kicked in in 20-21. Liverpool players probably got bonuses for those 19-20 numbers too. We definitely pay more than them.

romufc

Why are you posting 2019-20 figures my point was about 2020-21 and beyond. Point is the full wages for the year of those players only kicked in in 20-21. Liverpool players probably got bonuses for those 19-20 numbers too. We definitely pay more than them.
You're out here saying Rashford, Martial new contracts which were in 2019 and telling me not to post 19/20 numbers. Liverpool 19/20 numbers are higher when we had Alexis and them on the books too.

So the bonus doesn't count as wages? You canot post one source that shows their wage bill is lower apart from trust me?

Redfrog

How your wage bill is higher if you can’t afford to pay as big wages as United ? Something doesn’t add up.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
How your wage bill is higher if you can’t afford to pay as big wages as United ? Something doesn’t add up.
Even if we could afford a €300k player we still wouldn't do it to keep the rest of the team happy, that's my guess.

As for your question, maybe we have more average players in the region of €80-120k while you have some outliers on €350k but also a lot of youth players who start on minimum contracts or more fringe players who barely earn anything significant or stuff like that. It's not because the total amount is higher that our structure can support it. Just my assumption anyways.

El Jefe

You're out here saying Rashford, Martial new contracts which were in 2019 and telling me not to post 19/20 numbers. Liverpool 19/20 numbers are higher when we had Alexis and them on the books too.

So the bonus doesn't count as wages? You canot post one source that shows their wage bill is lower apart from trust me?
https://www.totalsportal.com/money/premier-league-wage-bill/
https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/
https://technosports.co.in/2021/01/...-premier-league-clubs-for-the-2020-21-season/
https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...-wage-bill-compares-to-their-league-position/

All of these are from the first page when you Google "PL wage bill 20/21". Some of them could be wrong who knows but they all have United paying more wages than Liverpool.

Liverpool players would most likely have received bonuses for winning the PL in 2019/20 so it distorts the comparison adding these in when we didn't qualify for such bonuses. I forgot that Rashford signed his contract at the start of 19/20 so we can take him out of my initial list.

I happened to find another list of Liverpool and our player wages per week and again you can see we clearly pay more. These figures look about right.

https://salarysport.com/football/premier-league/liverpool-f.c
https://salarysport.com/football/premier-league/manchester-united-f.c./