Liverpool 2020-21

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Matip was in the team last night alongside Fabinho (who has been one of the best CB's in the league this year) and Gomez may return before the season is out. You haven't lost 3 defenders for the entire season. In any case, United won a league title after being forced to play Carrick in central defence for an extended period. Title-winning sides simply make do.

There was a large number of people hailing this Liverpool side as one of the greatest of all time not long ago. Does the loss a single central defender for the season alter that perception? Or maybe they weren't that great to begin with, maybe they found themselves in the enviable position where all potential title-challengers were in varying states of transition, allowing them a free run at the title. Maybe.

I know this is how it's remembered but it's not actually the case. The most games Carrick started in a season as a centre-back in your title winning years is two. For the record Henderson started his fifth game at centre-back last night and Fabinho is in the region of about twelve games back there. This is a bit of a different order from what Ferguson had to deal with.

I have no clue what you're on about with the rest. Last night was Henderson and Phillips. Fabinho is currently injured, Matip is out for the rest of the season, Gomez is too (unless you have some information I don't) and VVD too. We're not getting 20 games this season out of all our recognised centre-backs.

There are certainly a myriad of other problems. And maybe we're no longer (or somehow never were despite 196 points) a great team, it's a shame injuries robbed us of a chance to prove that theory either way.

Viral United

Do they have any player coming back from injury?
They are look so injury raget right now.

Falcow

I know this is how it's remembered but it's not actually the case. The most games Carrick started in a season as a centre-back in your title winning years is two. For the record Henderson started his fifth game at centre-back last night and Fabinho is in the region of about twelve games back there. This is a bit of a different order from what Ferguson had to deal with.

I have no clue what you're on about with the rest. Last night was Henderson and Phillips. Fabinho is currently injured, Matip is out for the rest of the season, Gomez is too (unless you have some information I don't) and VVD too. We're not getting 20 games this season out of all our recognised centre-backs.

There are certainly a myriad of other problems. And maybe we're no longer (or somehow never were despite 196 points) a great team, it's a shame injuries robbed us of a chance to prove that theory either way.
That's fair enough, I do recall us having injury crisis after inury crisis at centre back during fergies later years. Vidic did his cruciate in 2011 I think, however we were within a whisker of winning 7 leagues in a row, losing by a point in 2010 and goal difference in 2012. I think we had a deeper squad, that however is liverpool's problem and there should have been adequate cover or at least some way adequate cover to cope instead of scrambling on january deadline day.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
You think Liverpool will lose 3 home games consecutively? I know they are on a poor form now but form doesn't really come into factor in games like this. Let's not forget City has won't in Anfield for like what 18 years?!
Yes I do. Did anyone think Burnley or Brighton would beat them? They couldn't even score against United before that. Their attack is quite toothless right now and they're coming up against the best team in the league currently. City are favourites, for me.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I was misinformed regards the team last night, perhaps should have checked myself though.

Never said you weren't a great team, merely that you are (or were) perhaps not the greatest of all time as was suggested by many among your faithful and the media. Your form began dropping off before any injuries occurred to the defence, though. If I remember correctly, it was the 3-0 loss to Norwich last season where it began falling apart. You were up for the quadruple before that game, only to end with the league title.

Over the last 30 odd games, United have won more games, scored more goals and accumulated more points in total, which tells a story in itself.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Wtf what was the context, and what was the thuggery? :lol:
He is/was a well known Utd hoolie. I’d seen him fight rival fans at Piccadilly and in London. Knew him to talk to as we’d often bump into each other on trips.
The conversation once was about ‘how much of a Utd fan are you?’ He asked a few of us if we’d put family or Utd first, easy answer for all of us. He seriously replied that then we we weren’t 100% Utd.
That’s the mentality of football hooligans

djembatheking

City will spank their scouse arses .
The injury excuse is lame as feck , if their squad was stronger and the players were rotated a bit playing bum rush monkey football they wouldn`t have so many injuries . Excuse after excuse is the scouse way . Greatest team the premiership has seen , do me a favour .

United58

He is/was a well known Utd hoolie. I’d seen him fight rival fans at Piccadilly and in London. Knew him to talk to as we’d often bump into each other on trips.
The conversation once was about ‘how much of a Utd fan are you?’ He asked a few of us if we’d put family or Utd first, easy answer for all of us. He seriously replied that then we we weren’t 100% Utd.
That’s the mentality of football hooligans
Christ :lol: with all the burning and destruction in the world, you'd hope those kind of people have second thoughts about their lifestyles when the crowds come back... imagine being a hooligan :houllier:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Christ :lol: with all the burning and destruction in the world, you'd hope those kind of people have second thoughts about their lifestyles when the crowds come back... imagine being a hooligan :houllier:
Still a few dinosaurs left with the exception that dinosaurs have an innocence that goes with being an animal that’s true to its nature. The hooligans we used to share the train with were sociopaths.
I saw a few last year before lockdown and they just looked like old pensioners who still harboured violent thoughts but we’re too old to act on them. Bitter. Felt sorry for their families

cyberman

City will spank their scouse arses .
The injury excuse is lame as feck , if their squad was stronger and the players were rotated a bit playing bum rush monkey football they wouldn`t have so many injuries . Excuse after excuse is the scouse way . Greatest team the premiership has seen , do me a favour .
Cant see it. City are very defensive these days, they dont commit everybidy forward as they did and Pep hates playing Liverpool.
Its nailed on to be a shit 0-0

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Jurgen Klopp says his side were "not fresh enough, mentally and physically"

A few days earlier after good results, they were back to their best. These managers can just invent stories and we fans are supposed to be sympathetic?

Josh 76

Cant see it. City are very defensive these days, they dont commit everybidy forward as they did and Pep hates playing Liverpool.
Its nailed on to be a shit 0-0
Exactly. Been hearing all these expert pundits saying it's a game that will suit Liverpool because the way City will attack and make it an open game. They haven't realised Pep has changed all that and City are much more stronger defensively. Liverpool have to win, that will play into City's hands.

dinostar77

Jurgen Klopp says his side were "not fresh enough, mentally and physically"

A few days earlier after good results, they were back to their best. These managers can just invent stories and we fans are supposed to be sympathetic?
Whenever teams like liverpool who use pressing to such a high degree have a slump, im reminded of what arrigo saachi said when asked about pressing relentlessly. Basically that a team can do it for 2-3 seasons tops before fatigue, injuries and mental tiredness kick in.

Sacchi was talking about his great AC Milan team of the late 80s and early 90s but its held true with many teams over the years. Many if not of all Bielsa teams have a massive dropoff after 2-3 seasons. Juventus under Lippi, Barcelona experienced it with Guardiola. City experienced it with Guardiola. Liverpool experiencing it with Klopp.

I think the relentless pressing is harder in PL than top leagues abroad because of the pace of the game here.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Whenever teams like liverpool who use pressing to such a high degree have a slump, im reminded of what arrigo saachi said when asked about pressing relentlessly. Basically that a team can do it for 2-3 seasons tops before fatigue, injuries and mental tiredness kick in.

Sacchi was talking about his great AC Milan team of the late 80s and early 90s but its held true with many teams over the years. Many if not of all Bielsa teams have a massive dropoff after 2-3 seasons. Juventus under Lippi, Barcelona experienced it with Guardiola. City experienced it with Guardiola. Liverpool experiencing it with Klopp.

I think the relentless pressing is harder in PL than top leagues abroad because of the pace of the game here.
Again, I personally think its an excuse by these coaches for their failures and not moving on from repetitive tactics. My theory is opposition teams learn how to play against such opposition. Rotation, and freshening up the squad is not difficult these days with such massive squads and 2 class players in every position.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Again, I personally think its an excuse by these coaches for their failures and not moving on from repetitive tactics. My theory is opposition teams learn how to play against such opposition. Rotation, and freshening up the squad is not difficult these days with such massive squads and 2 class players in every position.
I do think that there is an element of this behind our problems this season. Our attacking focus has been based around winning second balls and the full backs for two years now and has provided a lot of success, but teams figure it out eventually. We've struggled more against low blocks this season because teams are learning how to defend better against us, limiting us to fewer opportunities to test an opposition keeper.

What I would say in Klopp's defense is that in between seasons, he has changed the way we play based on the players we have. The way we played in 17/18 is dramatically different to how we played last season for example. It wouldn't surprise me to see him try and change us again in the summer (assuming we get a full summer/pre-season). He has to get it right of course.

This is why Sir Alex Ferguson was and is the greatest manager ever. That ability to rebuild and recreate winning teams is unmatched.

Steve 007

People saying they want City to win are nuts. I wanted City to win in 2018, but that’s because they were uncatchable by that point. This time, City are the team we have to topple to win the title and we are only 3 points behind them. If you want City to win, then you hate Liverpool more than you love Manchester United, and that is deplorable because we should always come first.

Oh, and do people realise how stupid the logic of ‘City can drop points elsewhere sounds’? Liverpool can also drop points elsewhere and are more likely to than this unfortunately excellent City team.
Exactly my thoughts, we need a defeat for them tomorrow. Liverpool will drop many points with their injuries elsewhere, we need this to be city’s confidence crisis.

Liverpool 1:4 Man City

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
@PickledRed

I'd appreciate it if you'd share your highly valued opinion on the following:

United have scored more goals, conceded less, have a higher GD, won more games, lost fewer and accumulated more points than Liverpool this season.

Did you (or anyone even remotely associated with PL football over the last few years) believe this would have been possible before the season kicked off?

Caerus Little

Supports
Competition and Underdogs
I'd call it complete surrender from the slow club.

Josh 76

Are they still having their title bus parade in May as Klopp promised?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
"If it bleeds, we can kill it".

Thanks Villa, for making them bleed.

Irwin99

I think the criticism is a bit over the top, though maybe the last few years have just taken it out of them.

I remember us having a few rocky results back in 09-10 when we had to play Carrick and Fletcher at centre back over a period. Liverpool have basically had to do something similar for a big part of the season. Their attack doesn't inspire the same dread as it did a year ago though. I think they might freshen that up next season.