Liverpool 2020-21

cyberman

You'll just get the same old shite about it being a "crazy season" and having lots of injuries like 100% of the PL aren't in the same boat.
Its a strange argument to make when the current top 5 is the top 5 from last year, it just has Liverpool dropping as a stone so obviously quality still shows.

Guy Incognito

Imagine if they go from nearly breaking the points record in the PL to not getting CL football in just one year, with essentially the same team and manager.
The worry is they may do a Chelsea and then win the league the following season. I don't see City winning back-to-back titles.

Thiago doesn't fit the system but Liverpool are making plenty of individual errors. Leicester bar that six minute spell were dreadful.

OleBoiii

The worry is they may do a Chelsea and then win the league the following season.
Sure, but that doesn't make this title defense any less pathetic.

I don't see City winning back-to-back titles.
I disagree. They are on course for an 86 point season, which is decent. And that despite having 2 modest summer transfer windows in a row(by their standards). If they decide to spend big this summer, then they will be hard to beat next season now that their defense seems to be sorted.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
3 league defeats in a row now. Amazing. Is that more than last season all in? At worst it's the same amount.

And 4 league defeats in 6, and 5 defeats in 7 games all in.

Glorious.

Everton next.

SER19

I know it can't happen as I'm sure some of these teams play each other but hypothetically, if the teams behind them win most games in hand they could be 7th-9th.

SER19

I disagree. They are on course for an 86 point season, which is decent. And that despite having 2 modest summer transfer windows in a row(by their standards). If they decide to spend big this summer, then they will be hard to beat next season now that their defense seems to be sorted.
330m in 2 summers!

fergies coat

Hopefully now we can put to bed all of this best team in the PL ever stuff.

I remember watching Roy Keane and Jamie Carragher on sky sports discussing our 99 team against their league winning team. Roy keane was adamant our team was better. It looks like he was right. You have to win league's back to back to be considered great.

Sylar

Going into the season with vvd, gomes and Matic as their cbs was madness

Imagine we went into the season with Maguire, Bailly and jones only.

They needed replacements rather than alternatives for midfield but thiago made sense if they had brought in a cb too. I do wonder how they would be with thiago Henderson and fabinho in midfield (or wijnaldum for one of the latter two)
His pressing leads to fouls rather than getting the ball and a quick release to the strikers (fouling would be ok if they dominated the ball like city and wanted to stop counter attacks on themselves)

. They need to focus on the CL now but they will struggle defensively (and salah is the only one scoring for them)

Also fck Jose and moyes, the only two cowards who gave up wins in 2021 to them

dinostar77

What is going on with liverpool? Complacency? End of a cycle? Cant just be the injuries to VVD and Gomez.

El Zoido

What is going on with liverpool? Complacency? End of a cycle? Cant just be the injuries to VVD and Gomez.
It’s a combination of things, but Klopp had a lot of average players playing well above their level. Easy for the wheels to fall off when you can’t sustain it.

tjb

Going into the season with vvd, gomes and Matic as their cbs was madness

Imagine we went into the season with Maguire, Bailly and jones only.

They needed replacements rather than alternatives for midfield but thiago made sense if they had brought in a cb too. I do wonder how they would be with thiago Henderson and fabinho in midfield (or wijnaldum for one of the latter two)
His pressing leads to fouls rather than getting the ball and a quick release to the strikers (fouling would be ok if they dominated the ball like city and wanted to stop counter attacks on themselves)

. They need to focus on the CL now but they will struggle defensively (and salah is the only one scoring for them)

Also fck Jose and moyes, the only two cowards who gave up wins in 2021 to them
Further to this....this season has also shown how Jose Moyes and LVG brought us to where we are today. Apparently Spurs had a better squad than we did ( they did btw) and Jose still offers the same tripe as he did with us. It shows where we were and what we had to deal with when he was our manager. Our worst mistake after Fergie were the managers we brought in and the signings they brought with them.

OrcaFat

It is mainly the injury to VVD.

Liverpool being really good and becoming a win machine correlates with his arrival. With a guy like that behind you, you can spread your wings and fly, which they all did, to a man. Without him, everybody drops their level a notch and they go back to dominating possession but not winning.

Sylar

It is mainly the injury to VVD.

Liverpool being really good and becoming a win machine correlates with his arrival. With a guy like that behind you, you can spread your wings and fly, which they all did, to a man. Without him, everybody drops their level a notch and they go back to dominating possession but not winning.
Can we really say it's mainly vvd? Their form post lockdown hasn't been great at all. Even before with the loss to Atletico they were showing signs (but getting through)

Liverpool looked much better the season they won the cl vs the year after where they won the league IMO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can we really say it's mainly vvd? Their form post lockdown hasn't been great at all. Even before with the loss to Atletico they were showing signs (but getting through)

Liverpool looked much better the season they won the cl vs the year after where they won the league IMO.
Let’s not forget that Villa tore them a new one with VVD on the pitch for 90 minutes.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The relegation form continues, 2 wins in their last 10 PL games and a whopping 9 points in total.

OrcaFat

Let’s not forget that Villa tore them a new one with VVD on the pitch for 90 minutes.
True. I hope it’s the whole house collapsing but I doubt it. They probably would have won most of the games they’ve lost if VVD was there. When he comes back they will be close to what they were, I fear. I hope I’m wrong.

Nogbadthebad

VVD missing hurt them without doubt, but their biggest problem is teams attacking the wings more. We did it, gave the ball to Rashford every time possible, its how villa put 7 past them.

Because as much praise robertson and trent get, they ain't very good at actually defending, and they are being horribly exposed for it.

Thats also forcing their midfield to sit deeper too, which means the precise through balls they scored so many from are not quite as precise any more either.

The systems being countered by everyone now. Question is, can klopp do something else with the team he has?

Newton

Rumours that Klopp has quit and FSG trying to convince him not to go and to take some time off...

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Nothing modest about their last two windows by any standard.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Kabak looks horrendously ill-suited to a high line with the lack of pace he evidenced today. I genuinely don’t see what he brings to proceedings that Phillips hasn’t for the games he deputised in.

Looks like Kabak’s signing will give Klopp more headaches than he solves, which is obviously pretty fecking great.

Sylar

Yep, and that seems to be forgotten a lot by pundits. There were signs before he was out, and him being out has multiplied it.
From all this talk about them dominating the next 10 years, you see that Milner is 35, VVD will be 30 when he returns, Salah, Firmino and Mane will be 29 at the end of the season. they will still need a CB signing (as the ones they got in january look short term at best and they cant rely on matip and gomes), Widnaldum is 30 and seemingly wants to leave, Thiago will be 30 at the end of the season and their captain will be 31.
So maybe a season or two more with that spine (and they already look burned out).

Im thinking 4-5 signings are needed to refresh things to allow for rotation where they dont see a drop in quality.
Unless liverpool fans see it different and think their youth are good enough to provide some competition and refresh things.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I will never understand why Kabak is so highly-rated :confused:
To get a quality centre-back in the winter transfer window is of course difficult and he is surely a better option than R.Williams & Phillips but not even Klopp can bring Kabak to the level of really good quality.
I follow the Bundesliga since a long time (I have even lived in Germany for 10 years) therefore i have seen enough matches of him.......i accept your opinion but he was never "brilliant" for Stuttgart & Schalke in my eyes (And to be honest yes the entire Schalke team is terrible this season and he is one of the main reasons for it).

I agree with you that this isn't a bad deal for Liverpool but i just can't see that he will be good enough for Liverpool.
Early days but i will win this opinion (@RainyDays_10) :)

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Teams just keep attacking Trent and more often than not, are successful. Although he has never been great defensively, he is even worse now. I’m not sure if he peaked last season or relied on VVD but he is absolute garbage now.

redrobed

I remember all the Liverpool fans saying in the summer that they’d have won the Treble by March. I was laughed at for saying they wouldn’t even win the title.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They're spiralling down the table at a rapid rate of knots.

They were top 6 or 7 weeks ago, they're 6th and falling now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They'll be 19 points behind City by the end of tomorrow

:lol:

Oranges038

I think teams have figured them out. They look burnt out and completely out of ideas. Injuries at the back aside they have pretty much the same starting 11 as previous seasons.

TAA seems to be the most potent creator for attacks and he's having an awful season.

Firmino really isn't much better than Heskey.

GoldTrafford99

Look at their work rate stats this season (in fact for the entire last calendar year) compared with the two seasons prior to that...

They are literally working at 63% compared to their best.

Klopp's teams have a cycle.. we know this. We have precedence for it...

This team are bust.

I'd go so far as saying I think Liverpool are as far away from winning the title now as they have ever been in the PL era. I think this will actually prove to be their worst ever Premier League finish; they'll probably finished 9th... They are the worst performing team in that top nine of the current table over the past 6-weeks and I don't see them getting any better... They're totally shot.

caid

The drop off in work rate is part of it but their tactic over the last few years has been one that heavily favoured the harder worker team. Which was great when Liverpool were the hardest or second hardest working team in the league but becomes a bit of a liability when they're kind of ordinary. They haven't adjusted to their players inability or unwillingness to work as hard as they were. And frankly if wijnaldum and firmino aren't running their guts out, then how valuable are they really? He either needs to get the workhorses working or make more use of the Shaqiri's in his squad.
Having a mean defence that meant 1 goal was often enough plays its part too and i wouldn't dismiss it as a problem but they have problems in pretty much every position atm.

AFC NimbleThumb

I know there’s this notion that when VvD comes back it’ll put everything right but looking at their midfield balance they’ll be fecked when Gigi likely leaves in the Summer.

Their success is built on rock & roll football, whilst I rate Thiago highly they’re best performances have generally come with Hendo-Milner-Gigi going hell for leather.

I think they’ll be better next year but any drop in form from the marvellous Salah/Mane & they’re looking for answers I don’t think they can find.

dead landlords

Supports
Tottenham
Klopps done, his tactics are out dated and hes been found out. Hes also far to stubborn to change, bite the bullet. John w Henry is master at taking swift action during a crisis. Stevie G, welcome home son.

Gavinb33

The one thing I don't understand is why when they were/are clearly struggling didn't he just bite the bullet and take his medicine and play Phillips or Williams at the back with Fabinho or together and put Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago in midfield, especially against Burnley, Brighton and WBA I am not sure they needed to sacrifice at least one of the midfielders if not both at centre half against those teams.