Liverpool 2020-21

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Their owners are even more tight fisted than Kreonke. They don't spend any money.
Their last 15 results were fantastic and I have a feeling they will pick up from where they left off.
Then how they made 100mn euros chiesa bid. I think they too became under pressure because of ESL saga. If they not backed Klopp they will face fans' backlash in my opinion.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Come on man, that's just not true.
OK, Maybe not with 10 games to go, but with 5 to go, 4 points off 4th and 8 points off 3rd, we were completely written off.
Honestly, last season was so poor for us, I didn't realise how close we were to top 4 with 10 games left to play. It felt like we were miles away after those 6 losses in a row at Anfield

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Come on man, that's just not true.
OK, Maybe not with 10 games to go, but with 5 to go, 4 points off 4th and 8 points off 3rd, we were completely written off.
Honestly, last season was so poor for us, I didn't realise how close we were to top 4 with 10 games left to play. It felt like we were miles away after those 6 losses in a row at Anfield
Well it was true because on GW27 we lost to Fulham the last of our 6 straight home defeats and we dropped to eighth. 7points off 4th with no games in hand. It couldn't have gotten any lower.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
A replacement for VVD must be on the cards given it's unlikely he'll return the same player he was before the injury, no?
We’ve signed Konate. If we don’t get any long term injuries I think we’re ok at CB. Midfield needs improvement and we should be refreshing the front line. Salah, Mane and Firmino have been playing together since 2017.

Chief123

Absolutely agree with this. Even with 10 games to go, no one gave us a chance of top 4, but Klopp managed to find a way to get us in there. It helped that Williams and Phillips suddenly turned into top class centre backs, but having Fabinho back in his preferred DM role was the biggest reason our results improved IMO.
That, and Alissons last minute winner of course
I don’t think it’s true that no one gave Liverpool a chance of getting top 4.

In fact I genuinely believed they would finish 3rd with about 7-8 games to go simply due to the incredibly tough fixtures that Chelsea and Leciester had ahead of them.

But on the same hand, it’s not really a surprise that not many backed Liverpool to do it with all the easy dropped points at home near the end. It did take a header from your goal keeper to get it done.

Chief123

Then how they made 100mn euros chiesa bid. I think they too became under pressure because of ESL saga. If they not backed Klopp they will face fans' backlash in my opinion.
There’s absolutely no chance Liverpool made any kind of bid for Chiesa. Definitely nowhere near 100m. It took them years to get the pennies together to save up for VVD.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sounds like VvD will be playing in the friendly on Thursday with Gomez also probably getting some minutes. If these two along with Fabinho, Konate, TAA, Robbo and Salah/Mane (getting a proper summer break at last) play most of the games this season then what is the expectation of Klopp in terms of points this season?

In two seasons, with all the above mentioned players involved, we have achieved 97 points and then 99 points in the PL. With a degree of drop off is it fair to say Klopp has to get 87-90 points? Would that be a fair call?

Thisistheone

Very possible. It’s basically the same side that won the title plus Jota and Thiago for Wijnaldum.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Very possible. It’s basically the same side that won the title plus Jota and Thiago for Wijnaldum.
We will eventually feel Gini's loss when our reliably injured midfielders (Ox and Keita mainly) get their usual bout of seasonoutus. I'm sure we'll get a Saul, or more likely Bissouma, type to cover the gap left by Gini. Hendo's contract situation is not helping though.

If we're not buying anyone then probably drop a few more points, Klopp has to finish between 83-87 points? I'd still be relatively happy with that. Would prefer a bit more though to win the league.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Sounds like VvD will be playing in the friendly on Thursday with Gomez also probably getting some minutes. If these two along with Fabinho, Konate, TAA, Robbo and Salah/Mane (getting a proper summer break at last) play most of the games this season then what is the expectation of Klopp in terms of points this season?

In two seasons, with all the above mentioned players involved, we have achieved 97 points and then 99 points in the PL. With a degree of drop off is it fair to say Klopp has to get 87-90 points? Would that be a fair call?
Still think you are in for a big surprise if you are expecting that kind of season. You had far bigger issues than just the injuries last season and more than anything it looked like mental fatigue. Personally I think your side has peaked and won’t really go again until you make some serious investment. I predict you’ll finish third/fourth this season after a pretty tepid campaign.

caid

I dont know, I'd say 97 and 99 points were overachieving and i'd say its probably a bit stronger a league next season than it has been at times recently. 80+ points would be a good season probably. Above that would need luck with injuries as you say and a bit more overachievement.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Still think you are in for a big surprise if you are expecting that kind of season. You had far bigger issues than just the injuries last season and more than anything it looked like mental fatigue. Personally I think your side has peaked and won’t really go again until you make some serious investment. I predict you’ll finish third/fourth this season after a pretty tepid campaign.
100% agreed. The uninjured players we had were totally shattered. TAA, Robertson and Mane for the large part. That's why I mentioned this summer's break being the longest we've had after almost 3 years of intense play.

How do you say it on here? The bodies are now totally ready to accept new caffeine shots.

Every side peaks. No one can achieve near 100 points every season. But dropping to 74 points, for example is a huge 25% drop. Surely not acceptable for someone of Klopp's calibre with no injury or mental fatigue excuses to hide behind this season.

caid

100% agreed. The uninjured players we had were totally shattered. TAA, Robertson and Mane for the large part. That's why I mentioned this summer's break being the longest we've had after almost 3 years of intense play.

How do you say it on here? The bodies are now totally ready to accept new caffeine shots.

Every side peaks. No one can achieve near 100 points every season. But dropping to 74 points, for example is a huge 25% drop. Surely not acceptable for someone of Klopp's calibre with no injury or mental fatigue excuses to hide behind this season.
Yeah, I think people get that. But they're being given to players that are 2 years older, some of them having picked up injuries in the mean time and swapping Wijnaldum for Thiago. It'll be a bit of a different prospect. And i think teams got better at dealing with what you used to offer so its probably a good thing.
No one seems to be predicting you to dip as low as you did last season but I'd be surprised if you reached the levels of 2+ years ago. It kind of feels like 1 injury could totally scupper your season in a couple of cases too.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Hmm, I wonder if Mane knows something about an incoming? We do keep our cards close to our chests barring VvD.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Everyone on this forum seemed convinced LIverpool would get top 4 with about 8 games to go. They were right, as well. There was someting inevitable about that headed goal in injury time.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I hope and kind of expect us to pull something big out of the hat at some point. Going in to next season with a big question mark over van Dijk, having lost Wijnaldum, and with an injury prone Konate as the only marquee signing would be disappointing to say the least.

With the travesty that was the whole Super League affair, anything else would surprise me.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
The rumour has always been we're after a CM and a forward. The way we're finally shedding our dead weight players post haste seems to indicate something is afoot.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Hes liked the post pushing Liverpool to do something. He knows you're falling behind.
It is kind of tough watching one our biggest rivals from the past spending 350 plus million in the last few years. It’s a miracle what Klopp has done. That being said if united aren’t the favorites to win it now I don’t know when they will be. There shouldn’t be another thread ever complaining about City and their spending going forward or it will reek of hypocracy. united are easy favorites now.

Vanrouge

It is kind of tough watching one our biggest rivals from the past spending 350 plus million in the last few years. It’s a miracle what Klopp has done. That being said if united aren’t the favorites to win it now I don’t know when they will be. There shouldn’t be another thread ever complaining about City and their spending going forward or it will reek of hypocracy. united are easy favorites now.
United aren't favourites, though. City, Chelsea, and Liverpool are all in the mix and currently more favoured. You can't just say United are favourites and then act as if they actually are to create a foundation for your argument/agenda. And as you know, there's a vast gulf between a team that's been financially doped and a team that earned its money (and even now is being milked by its owners).

TheReligion

Abusive
Our business hasn't even been expensive to be honest despite the slant you're trying to put on it.

Sancho at £72m and Varane at £34 (rising to 42) are pretty good deals and at decent prices.

To compare with Sancho; Havertz was £76m, Pepe £72 and your very own Keita £60m.

With Varane; Ben White has gone for £50m and Nathan Ake £40m. Your very own VVD was £75m.

You've spent big yourselves and have a bigger wage bill too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The rumour has always been we're after a CM and a forward. The way we're finally shedding our dead weight players post haste seems to indicate something is afoot.
Who are or have you been selling then? I haven't kept up.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Who are or have you been selling then? I haven't kept up.
Harry Wilson, Marko Grujic, Awonyi, Millar and Grabara. None were going to play for us at any point. Got 33.3 million for the set.

That covers Konate's 35m price tag.

Josh 76

Our business hasn't even been expensive to be honest despite the slant you're trying to put on it.

Sancho at £72m and Varane at £34 (rising to 42) are pretty good deals and at decent prices.

To compare with Sancho; Havertz was £76m, Pepe £72 and your very own Keita £60m.

With Varane; Ben White has gone for £50m and Nathan Ake £40m. Your very own VVD was £75m.

The greatest trick Klopp ever pulled, was convincing the world he has never spent any money!

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool

Can you do a similar like for like with Pogba and Maguire now? ;)

TheReligion

Abusive
Can you do a similar like for like with Pogba and Maguire now? ;)
Sure. Then we'd have to include the big money you've spent on Allison, Jota, Fabinho etc.

It's a myth to suggest Liverpool don't spend money and your players don't get well paid. You've made some good moves in the market but to win the league you needed to spend heavily on players. That's a fact really and I'm not sure why it's being concealed?

One thing you have done better than United is selling on your other squad players for decent amounts. That said we've got this sorted in recent years and now don't take as much of a hit, actually making our money back on players like Di Maria, Lukaku and Schniderlin etc.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sure. Then we'd have to include the big money you've spent on Allison, Jota, Fabinho etc.

It's a myth to suggest Liverpool don't spend money and your players don't get well paid. You've made some good moves in the market but to win the league you needed to spend heavily on players. That's a fact really and I'm not sure why it's being concealed?

One thing you have done better than United is selling on your other squad players for decent amounts. That said we've got this sorted in recent years and now don't take as much of a hit, actually making our money back on players like Di Maria, Lukaku and Schniderlin etc.
Jota at £40m and Fabinho at £44m are both pretty good deals at decent prices just like you describe the Sancho and Varane fees. Also, Keita was £52m and not £60m like you said.

It's indeed a myth that we don't spend on players, can't tell why some would argue that we don't. The difference with Utd is that you can do it year in year out and can afford to lose out on a few ones (like you did after Fergie left), while we have to hit every big transfer we make since we're a lot more strapped for cash.

And while our wage bill might be higher (just gonna believe you on your word but it does surprise me) we can't afford to pay premium wages to some players like you do. I've read that Varane is doubling his wages by joining Utd, pretty obvious why teams like us weren't even interested if so. We simply can't afford that.

Loon

:lol:
They've been quiet. They'll be back big time this season (please be wrong, Loon. Please be wrong, Loon. Please be wrong, Loon...)

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool

So now, Pogba and Maguire as I originally asked please. ;)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Jota at £40m and Fabinho at £44m are both pretty good deals at decent prices just like you describe the Sancho and Varane fees. Also, Keita was £52m and not £60m like you said.

It's indeed a myth that we don't spend on players, can't tell why some would argue that we don't. The difference with Utd is that you can do it year in year out and can afford to lose out on a few ones (like you did after Fergie left), while we have to hit every big transfer we make since we're a lot more strapped for cash.

And while our wage bill might be higher (just gonna believe you on your word but it does surprise me) we can't afford to pay premium wages to some players like you do. I've read that Varane is doubling his wages by joining Utd, pretty obvious why teams like us weren't even interested if so. We simply can't afford that.
It's higher and by atleast 15%

Liverpool are just like anyother big European club i.e they pay their players a big wage to play for their club. I'm not sure if there's a surprise element to it.

Also think it's bollocks that you didn't sign Varane just because you couldn't afford too. Thiago you signed last year is in the same age group and pretty sure he'd be on big wages too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Liverpool are just like anyother big European club i.e they pay their players a big wage to play for their club. I'm not sure if there's a surprise element to it.
Wow. Didn’t expect that. If we were to offload the players we don’t need on big wages we might actually look like a well run club

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Wow. Didn’t expect that. If we were to offload the players we don’t need on big wages we might actually look like a well run club
It's because there's a lot of media propaganda about Liverpool being on low wages etc, it's their constant need to portray themselves different from the rest of the European top clubs.

Kajus

If you truly think so, then go ahead and place some money on it. United are currently behind City, Liverpool and Chelsea in terms of being favorites for the league. If you believe otherwise, go ahead and place a few hundred quid, will make a couple of thousands.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool

Also think it's bollocks that you didn't sign Varane just because you couldn't afford too. Thiago you signed last year is in the same age group and pretty sure he'd be on big wages too.
We're going through the roof when we sign Mbappe on a 'free' then. :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's on £200-210k per week while Varane will reportedly be around £350k per week which is indeed something we can't afford. You'd be crazy to believe Varane exclusively wanted to come to Utd because he likes a challenge or because he wants to play for OSG or something like that, but that's just my opinion. He'd have been just as happy to join City or Liverpool if we were offering the same conditions. Liverpool can't afford to pay someone £250k per week let alone £350k, even signing Thiago on the wages that he is on was as big a stretch as we could probably make without making at least some of our other top players unhappy.