Liverpool 2021/2022

arthurka

According to Klopp it's not an advantage to play 10 v 11.. OK never change.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
Mane's decline is deeply worrying. Firmino has too, but not as sharply as Mane.

Can't see anyone buying Origi and Minamino. Means no one is coming in either.

lysglimt

Scout
Imo Liverpool is on a downward trajectory. Most of their star players look half what they once were. And they have no depth to fall back on. The title race this season is between Chelsea and City. Maybe us as well but definitely not them.
Their strikers are really good still - but not quite what they were. Their defense is good - but that midfield ? I get the feeling that Klopp has wasted a chance to take Liverpool to a truly dominane force

Vanrouge

Exactly!!! Also loud when they try to intimidate refs into giving them decisions. They're a joke
And when they win corners, for some reason. I've never heard a crowd get so hysterical when they win one. Do they score a high percentage from corners, I wonder?

Robbie Boy

Mane has been absolute wank for a long time now. I can see them having a pretty average season.

Robbie Boy

Remember when Robertson was the best left back the world had ever seen? Seems a lifetime ago now.

Nero

Have they had their bus parade for the title win yet? If anyone remembers that season.

Bearded One

Having keenly watched the three round of matches in the premier league so far I can safely say Liverpool WILL NEITHER WIN NOR CHALLENGE for the title this season. Without the CR7 signing, I would give it to City or Chelsea. City is the most talented while Chelsea is the most effective.

In other words, City have the best ability as a team/unit to win the league while Chelsea are a well oiled machine and a very defined system that is very effective and injuries permitting, could propel them to the title this season. I want to believe that we had a terrific window and CR7, Verane and Sancho can push us all the way to finally winning, injuries permitting and with some luck too.

UDontMessWith24

Lacked ideas in attack, which Klopp did his best verbally dance around in his post-game interview. Switch flank, ball into channel, back out wide, cross, rinse and repeat.

RooneyLegend

People don't appreciate just how good this Chelsea team is defensively,, Pool will be in the title race.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Having keenly watched the three round of matches in the premier league so far I can safely say Liverpool WILL NEITHER WIN NOR CHALLENGE for the title this season. Without the CR7 signing, I would give it to City or Chelsea. City is the most talented while Chelsea is the most effective.

In other words, City have the best ability as a team/unit to win the league while Chelsea are a well oiled machine and a very defined system that is very effective and injuries permitting, could propel them to the title this season. I want to believe that we had a terrific window and CR7, Verane and Sancho can push us all the way to finally winning, injuries permitting and with some luck too.
How have you come to that conclusion based on the opening round of fixtures?

City have already lost in a game where they looked completely lost in terms of breaking the opposition down. They’ve won two games 5-0 but against the bottom two.

United drew against Southampton last week in a game where Southampton finished stronger.

Chelsea have had the most impressive start out of the main four, but we’re three games in. Let’s see where everyone is at Christmas.

ZDwyr

Klopp is really not great when it comes to substitutions. Needed Thiago on much earlier to break down the 10-men.

Suedesi

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Liverpool are a great counterattacking + longball team. They're amazing at putting balls in from the flanks (Robinson & Trent) and have a good front 3 (Salah is exceptional), but they have no creativity in midfield. Zero. Their midfielders in their CL/PL winning run have been Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Fabinho, Milner and Chamberlain. Functional, hard working players, but clueless how to pick a defensive lock.

In a game where Chelsea are playing with 10 men and falling back into a low block Liverpool created zero big chances and didn't know how to break them, because other than long balls and counter attacks they've got no other weapons.

When we played them 10 vs 11 they had the same fckn issue, Klopp is a long ball and counterattacking merchant. Very effective at it mind you, but if teams fall back and crowd the area more often than not they will come out of Anfield with a point.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think there is a good chance the squad is physically spent. They just don’t look good in games anymore. Everything just looks that bit slower.

What Klopp did was amazing, but I think they could pay for it. The likes of Shaqiri and Minamoto were brought in but never trusted to play. There was never any rest for that front three and Firmino and Mane look like spent forces.

I would be a little concerned as a fan about the lack of investment. They needed to start the refresh last year with so many key players 29+

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think there is a good chance the squad is physically spent. They just don’t look good in games anymore. Everything just looks that bit slower.

What Klopp did was amazing, but I think they could pay for it. The likes of Shaqiri and Minamoto were brought in but never trusted to play. There was never any rest for that front three and Firmino and Mane look like spent forces.

I would be a little concerned as a fan about the lack of investment. They needed to start the refresh last year with so many key players 29+
Agreed. Klopp has had them playing for 100mph for years now and the intensity in their play is not just there anymore.

Also, Van Dijk might be back, but wont help them score goals, which was their big problem last season

Tarrou

look like they need an overhaul which isn't happening

they are one key injury away from struggling for top 4 again in my opinion

Member 101269

For me they are a big contender to really push for the PL. Salah and Mane look back to top form, VVD doesn't seem to be affected by his knee injury which has stabilized the defense and then ofcourse you have the Klopp factor, one of the best managers in the world.

And one thing that is overlooked, despite their massive injuries last season they only finished 5 points behind us, arguably our best season since fergie retired. I think that puts things into perspective
I'm not sure you can judge it like that so soon. At times they look good, others vulnerable and misfiring. VVD might get better, equally, their squad is old and vulnerable to injury without depth or reinforcements to help. It'll be a good season if they're 2nd which buys them time to stabilise earning. I remain of the view they have peaked and on the decline. They're not going to get the quality needed to replace their quality players with their finances.

Reactions: Cheimoon

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think their lack of depth will see them out of the title challenge tbh, but wouldn’t be surprised if they won the FA Cup or something.

Winrar

It just doesn’t look like Liverpool really have as much as energy as they did couple years ago when they were grinding out wins. Chelsea dealt with them pretty well even after going down to 10 men in the second half. And the core of their squad isn’t getting any younger, either.

I would be surprised if they finish above Chelsea this season.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It just doesn’t look like Liverpool really have as much as energy as they did couple years ago when they were grinding out wins. Chelsea dealt with them pretty well even after going down to 10 men in the second half. And the core of their squad isn’t getting any younger, either.

I would be surprised if they finish above Chelsea this season.
Alternatively, a Chelsea side much stronger than us (your assumption) that was leading against a poor, tired out, long ball Liverpool (Redcafe assumptions) go 1-0 ahead but still ONLY come away with a point.

Title challengers that are expected to achieve 90+ points cannot be leading in games and then drop 2 easy points like that. Shocking defending.

OmarUnited4ever

In the 2nd half in yesterday's game, I thought Liverpool tried everything to score and Chelsea were extremely well organized defensively, maybe Liverpool need a an out and out striker who occupies the box and gets on the end of chances but I thought Chelsea were excellent defensively and restricted Liverpool to long shots only ...

I don't think other teams would survive Liverpool's relentless attacks if they are one man down and defending deep.

In the first half though Chelsea went toe to toe with Liverpool, and were the better side

Remember the geese

After watching their game yesterday, I wasn't very impressed. 10 man Chelsea restricted them to hopeful crosses/long balls and optimistic efforts from distance.

Also, I'm sure Harvey Elliott is a really good young player, but I'm not so sure he should be starting games against this calibre of opponent. Not replacing Wijnaldum is an odd one. Although it is Klopp, so he can probably find a way to Duracell Bunny their way to victories.

A point that has been covered massively, but their squad depth really leaves a lot to be desired. 1-1 against a stubborn, 10 man Chelsea team and he replaces Henderson with Thiago and Robertson with Tsimikas. Where is the element of risk? I know that he replaced Firmino with Jota early on, but like for like replacements in centre mid and left back respectively, paints a bleak picture. Lack of options, or lack of adventure. Minamino as underwhelming as he's been, can't be impressed.

All in all, this team is not what it was a couple of years ago. Strong foundations and good threat from fullback, but seriously lacking in options and a bit too Salah dependent. I think they could really do with a Pogba or a Bruno, or even just a worse version of those two as a squad option. A player who can turn a game in an instant, a sense of unpredictability or creative mind. Maybe Buendia or Saint- Maximin as an option would have been good business.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Chairman Steve

Remember when Klopp a few weeks back randomly mentioned United in terms of spending? I interpreted him saying that as a dig against FSG rather than United, like Liverpool and Utd are similar in terms of ownership but Utd have splashed a bit of cash yet Liverpool haven’t.

I think they need to reinvest and rebuild but the awkward timing of the pandemic has possibly meant selling one of Salah or Mane for a good price has gone, and it’s now a case of trying to squeeze as much out of Salah, Mane and Firmino as possible before they really decline. It’s quite extraordinary how those 3 have all roughly averaged 50 games a season with no significant injuries between them for the past four years.

Strelok

I'm not sure you can judge it like that so soon. At times they look good, others vulnerable and misfiring. VVD might get better, equally, their squad is old and vulnerable to injury without depth or reinforcements to help. It'll be a good season if they're 2nd which buys them time to stabilise earning. I remain of the view they have peaked and on the decline. They're not going to get the quality needed to replace their quality players with their finances.
One thing I don't understand that how their finance could be that bad. They won CL and PL two years ago, finish regularly in top 4. Their wage bill is quite reasonable. They have a huge fanbase. Even Villa got plenty money to spend I have no idea why they could not.

In the 2nd half in yesterday's game, I thought Liverpool tried everything to score and Chelsea were extremely well organized defensively, maybe Liverpool need a an out and out striker who occupies the box and gets on the end of chances but I thought Chelsea were excellent defensively and restricted Liverpool to long shots only ...

I don't think other teams would survive Liverpool's relentless attacks if they are one man down and defending deep.

In the first half though Chelsea went toe to toe with Liverpool, and were the better side
Imo aside from lacking creativity in the midfield Robertson's decline is a big issue. He no longer could deliver those ping pong crosses into the box. Another thing I've noticed that their front three except Salah have lost the burst which used to give them a half yard/a yard faster than the defenders to get to the end of those crosses. Or maybe Chelsea defenders are just really good.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Alternatively, a Chelsea side much stronger than us (your assumption) that was leading against a poor, tired out, long ball Liverpool (Redcafe assumptions) go 1-0 ahead but still ONLY come away with a point.

Title challengers that are expected to achieve 90+ points cannot be leading in games and then drop 2 easy points like that. Shocking defending.
You forgot about the red card ?

tenpoless

I dont ill wish injuries to anybody. But if Salah cant play for whatever reason theyre in a huge trouble. Mane doesnt look as good as he used to be.

Steve 007

Their attack wasn’t good enough last season. They got away with it because all eyes were on their defence but wether they admit it or not Mane is no better than an injured Rashford. Firminio is not a top 4 striker, they really are relying on Salah who’ll score loads and Jota who’ll pitch in and replace Firminio but unless Mane finds his form they are battling for 4th.

Fussball13251

Are you people forgetting that they were playing Chelsea, who are fav to win the league. Liverpool probably deserved to win 1 nil. Besides that they looked great.

Both teams were solid defensively. The goal that Chelsea scored was just a very good goal. It had to be good.

Edit:

Even before the red card. Chelsea's goal had to be very good as both teams were solid defensively.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You forgot about the red card ?
Why were Chelsea not good enough against a poor long ball team to not have dealt with any situation way before goal line scramble and the red card?

And are you saying the red card was wrong? Then you're wrong.

90 + 5min

Are you people forgetting that they were playing Chelsea, who are fav to win the league. Liverpool probably deserved to win 1 nil. Besides that they looked great.

Both teams were solid defensively. The goal that Chelsea scored was just a very good goal. It had to be good.
They didn’t deserve win. Before Chelsea got red, they were more compact and dangerous team. By then, Liverpool should had 3 clear yellow cards that would put them in more thougher position because of what positions would be inpacted by those cards.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Edit:

Even before the red card. Chelsea's goal had to be very good as both teams were solid defensively.
Why are Chelsea favourites? If anything Chelsea are catching up to the level Liverpool have already reached in recent years. In that context, Chelsea were the better team at Anfield when it was 11 vs 11 and a draw being a man down is a great result for Chelsea and a poor one for Liverpool.

I don't think Liverpool played badly. Their general play was of a high level. But they lack a bit of cutting edge in attack.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
To me it looks like they are in need of a No. 10 when trying to break down opponents. That's not to say that they should switch from their 4-3-3, which I think is the right formation for them to play considering their squad, but when they are firmly on the front foot in games and pushing the opponent back they need threats on more fronts than the flanks. At the moment their attacking patterns seem quite predictable in creating space on the flanks and whip the ball in. Even though Firmino, Mané, and even Jota, somehow, are decent headers of the ball they'd benefit greatly from having someone who could do quick combination plays through the middle. No idea who this player would be though as they seem quite happy playing their 4-3-3, and as such it might be difficult to be given sufficient time on the pinch to remain happy with the amount of minutes given. I was under the impression that this was Minamino's strength, but for some reason Klopp doesn't seem to quite rate him that much.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why were Chelsea not good enough against a poor long ball team to not have dealt with any situation way before goal line scramble and the red card?

And are you saying the red card was wrong? Then you're wrong.
With posts like this one, you shouldn't wonder why no one takes you for more than a WUM