Liverpool 2021/2022

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Looked everywhere for their thread for this season but couldn't find.
I think their owners are a disgrace. Worse than the Arsenal board. How can a club have such a fantastic coach and constantly fail to back him?
Once again, they go into another season light in almost every area, yet the board won't pull a finger out. I think they are a couple of injuries away from another disaster campaign.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Looked everywhere for their thread for this season but couldn't find.
I think their owners are a disgrace. Worse than the Arsenal board. How can a club have such a fantastic coach and constantly fail to back him?
Once again, they go into another season light in almost every area, yet the board won't pull a finger out. I think they are a couple of injuries away from another disaster campaign.
It was a freak injury season last season. We had around nine noticeable long term absentees through injury or covid. We can't buy nine bench players for 50m a pop just in case it happens again. We're not a plastic club with all their wealth. We did buy Konate though as obviously Gomez and Matip will be injured soon enough.

stevoc

Becker 28.10.92 = 28..... goalie signed for further 6 years, don't think it's unusual for keepers to be still at the top of their game until their mid 30s, and he's one of the best, the cnut :rolleyes:

VVD dob 8.7.91 - so 30, 4 years is a risk IMO having just come back from a serious injury. Would we do it with van Dijk if he was at United? I'd certainly fecking hope so....you may think differently?

Robertson is 27, dob 11.3.94 and also a seriously good player, signed for 5 more years. Arguably be at his peak for at least 3 of them

Fabinho is also 27, dob 23.10.93 signed for 5 years. See above.

TAA signed a 4 year contract extension, he's gotta be about 22

The other 2 are back up goalies, a youngster with a mad Irish name and Adrian who's admittedly shite

I've heard Klopp wants to keep Henderson who's 31, but nothing agreed yet.

Ronaldo is an amazing physical specimen..... unbelievable. But he's 36 and coming into a league which is undoubtedly tougher and more physical than he's been used to for ages. And they've just moved the goalposts allowing shithouse players to boot yer with impunity on a more regular basis.

Mane and Salah are also quite remarkable physical specimens who are 7or 8 years younger than CR7, and seem very resistant to injury.

I don't know of any other players that are "melting" and have been given new contracts, but you may?

Personally I think that's why Wijnaldum was allowed to leave - to minimise the number of players coming into their dotage at the same time.

It's difficult to argue that the above extensions don't make a lot of sense.

In comparison, we've got;

De Gea D.O.B. 7.11.90......so two years older than their goalie and on contact til 2024. And just not at the same level as Becker.

Cavani D.O.B. 14.2.87.....so 34? got a one year extension.

Varane has come in on a 4 year contract taking him to 32, exactly the same as Maguire in terms of age and contract expiry date.

We've also got Pogba in the final year of his contract. He's 28. I'd be doing me best to tie him down for 5 more years if I could..... wouldn't you? He could leave for nowt next year :nervous:

We can slag them off for being tight fisted fookers and sleep happy that they can't compete in the transfer market but I think this approach of nailing down your best players for their peak playing years is quite pragmatic.

I suspect you think differently, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I know one thing for certain - it won't be feckin funny if we have to watch them win trophies for the next few years waiting for them all to get arthritis..... :rolleyes:
Looks like they've a fair bit more minimizing to do on that front.

As for my thoughts I thought I conveyed pretty clearly in my lasts posts in the other thread but perhaps not it seems. Maybe third time will be the charm, now I'm not really one for bullet point presentations so I'll try a more visual medium this time.

Milner - 35
Henderson - 31
Van Dijk - 30
Matip (30)
Thiago - 30
Salah - 29
Mane - 29
Firminho - 29
Oxlade-Chamberlain - 28
Becker - 28
Fabinho - 27
Robertson - 27

Now most of those players are far from finished but that's 70-80% of their first team at or approaching 30.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
For me they are a big contender to really push for the PL. Salah and Mane look back to top form, VVD doesn't seem to be affected by his knee injury which has stabilized the defense and then ofcourse you have the Klopp factor, one of the best managers in the world.

And one thing that is overlooked, despite their massive injuries last season they only finished 5 points behind us, arguably our best season since fergie retired. I think that puts things into perspective

Reactions: Cheimoon

iKnowNothing

In the predictions thread I had them finishing 3rd ahead of Chelsea. Willing to reconsider if they make it through AFCON unscathed.
Wasn’t there some news about Liverpool not releasing players for international duty? Will they allow players to play at AFCON?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Wasn’t there some news about Liverpool not releasing players for international duty? Will they allow players to play at AFCON?
I think it's related to releasing players to countries on the UK red list, for qualifiers/friendlies.

Liverpool trying to pull this for an official FIFA tournament would be more difficult. But definitely something to keep an eye on.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think it's related to releasing players to countries on the UK red list, for qualifiers/friendlies.

Liverpool trying to pull this for an official FIFA tournament would be more difficult. But definitely something to keep an eye on.
AFCON isn't a FIFA tournament

TheReligion

Abusive
Awful result for Liverpool. Looked totally devoid of any ideas going forward in the last 30 minutes. At home with fans you'd expect them to have steamrolled 10 men in the second half.

Definitely dropped points.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
VVD fit, Matip fit, crowds are coming back full in Anfield. Nothing changed, same problem, can't score. What's next?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They should cross it more.

Why is Elliott starting in midfield for them?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Disappointing tbh but Chelsea deserve huge credit. Very well drilled. Interested to see how we do against City in a few weeks.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
All things considered that's a poor result for them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That was poor for the second 45 - perhaps Tuchel's organization made them look blunt, but I feel generally if you just deal with Liverpool's crosses they don't have much else to offer.

FahadiHossein

That was poor for the second 45 - perhaps Tuchel's organization made them look blunt, but I feel generally if you just deal with Liverpool's crosses they don't have much else to offer.
I got downvoted by angry scousers on Reddit, but I thought some of the wing play, especially in TAA, has been increasingly predictable since last season. Even I know that TAA won't go to the byline, and whip in hard and fast crosses. Deal with that crosses and you should be fine.

Bulldog United

Chelsea did a super job nullifying them. It was all long range potshots from Liverpool while they were pouring forward for the first 20 of the second half.

If we're gonna be in a title race, we'll be battling Chelsea and our neighbours with the largely empty stadium.

Liverpool will be battling for fourth.

Strelok

Imo Liverpool is on a downward trajectory. Most of their star players look half what they once were. And they have no depth to fall back on. The title race this season is between Chelsea and City. Maybe us as well but definitely not them.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Overrated crowd.
Its a myth that they have great atmosphere at Anfield. Its no better or worse than any other ground in the PL. Loud when their winning but quiet when its not going their way.

Skeezix

Truly LiVARpool. Couldn't even win with a Harsh Red and penalty going their way

marktan

Imo Liverpool is on a downward trajectory. Most of their star players look half what they once were. And they have no depth to fall back on. The title race this season is between Chelsea and City. Maybe us as well but definitely not them.
Yeah this. Mane regressing has hit them badly, his touch has noticeably become poorer and the acceleration has reduced. Partly the fault is on Klopp, he's played them non-stop, he doesn't rotate at all. Firmino also looks to have lost his finishing ability.

The fact that they don't buy any attacking depth baffles me. After Jota the only option they have is Minamino. Over a 50+ game season it'll be their downfall. They could genuinely challenge as they have some great players but short of a miracle run with all the players peaking like in 19/20, you need depth to challenge. City and Chelsea will be up there because of it.

Real Name

Its a myth that they have great atmosphere at Anfield. Its no better or worse than any other ground in the PL. Loud when their winning but quiet when its not going their way.
After You'll never walk alone they're mostly quiet.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whatever about City and Chelsea, I don't get how these guys seem to be favoured ahead of us to win the title. They haven't strengthened enough.

RedSinha

For me they are a big contender to really push for the PL. Salah and Mane look back to top form, VVD doesn't seem to be affected by his knee injury which has stabilized the defense and then ofcourse you have the Klopp factor, one of the best managers in the world.

And one thing that is overlooked, despite their massive injuries last season they only finished 5 points behind us, arguably our best season since fergie retired. I think that puts things into perspective
And another thing that is also overlooked, constantly and frustratingly enough, is the fact that we were well comfortably ahead of 3rd place by quite a margin before the freak back to back matches we had to play towards the end of the season, which led to rotations and tiredness. And also the fact that we had solidified 2nd place comfortably by then, so there was no real urgency to win the remaining games, instead focusing on the Europa.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Irwin99

VVD looked very decent but they really lacked a bit of spark. I fancy them to get top 4 with ease (unless injuries occur) but other than a league/FA cup i'm not sure they'll put up a massive title challenge. Need some investment: another striker and maybe a midfielder.

RedSinha

Liverpool's owners really rode the wave of being called competent and supportive just because Barcelona decided to be stupid with their money. It's absolutely ridiculous the transfer window Liverpool have had after what they went through last season. Klopp is a great coach but not a miracle worker.