Liverpool 2021/2022

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Up until December, he was playing the best football of his career and so very easily the best left back in the world.

When the whole team collapsed, he went down to being merely solid defensively and decent going forwards.

It's a bit premature to pronounce his demise.
I'm not pronouncing his demise, I agreed he wouldn't be a first area to reinforce. Just saying he's been overtaken by Shaw by now, which you seemed to think was delusional.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not pronouncing his demise, I agreed he wouldn't be a first area to reinforce. Just saying he's been overtaken by Shaw by now, which you seemed to think was delusional.
Shaw is a fantastic LB and always has been when fit. Robbo is still great enough for us and we have seen Tsimikas who looks to be a very good understudy so far.

With Robbo lacking match fitness I would have said we win the game against Chelsea if Tsimikas started. Defensively he has been sound but offensively he has been one of our best so far this season (corners, crosses, assists, missed assists).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
On the back of what, half a season during which he was better?

Robertson has arguably been the best left back in the league / world for the past 4 seasons, bar the second half of last season. It's still a very valid opinion to have him in a combined XI over Shaw.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
On the back of what, half a season during which he was better?

Robertson has arguably been the best left back in the league / world for the past 4 seasons, bar the second half of last season. It's still a very valid opinion to have him in a combined XI over Shaw.
And it's not deluded to have Shaw over him either, which is what I was responding to in B20's original post where he said "Is this some bizarre bid to strengthen the claim that Shaw is the best lb in the league?" Depending on your preference, how much you see one or the other, the system you'll be playing, and other variables, I think both opinions are valid, and I don't think having Shaw in the conversation is "bizarre" as he suggested. I shouldn't have said that Shaw is "definitely" better (though in my mind he is), as the wording might be too strong, but that was more in reaction to the way the initial point was worded.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
And it's not deluded to have Shaw over him either, which is what I was responding to in B20's original post where he said "Is this some bizarre bid to strengthen the claim that Shaw is the best lb in the league?" Depending on your preference, how much you see one or the other, the system you'll be playing, and other variables, I think both opinions are valid, and I don't think having Shaw in the conversation is "bizarre" as he suggested. I shouldn't have said that Shaw is "definitely" better (though in my mind he is), as the wording might be too strong, but that was more in reaction to the way the initial point was worded.
Fair enough, can't really comment on his Utd performances but thought he was excellent at the Euros. I'd still have Robertson over him based on offensive contribution if I look at their club stats but maybe that's down to the system rather than the players.

It's certainly a lot closer than it used to be, obviously.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I was saying the opposite - that it was delusional pronounce him an area of improvement. I found it so ludicrous that I was wondering if it was some bizarre "if I talk down Robertson here, there's a stronger argument for talking shaw ahead of him elsewhere" stratagem, which is not exactly out of bounds for caf behaviour.

As for the actual comparison, sure, Shaw has had a better 2021 than Robertson. If you think that's enough to say Shaw has overtaken him, then that's that, but given their respective level over the past four years, I'd say you'd need to look to fellow united fans only for any sort of consensus on that.

always_hoping

Michael Edwards leaving, he'll have big boots to fill.

Signings as technical, then sporting director at Liverpool.

Mane £37m
Karius £4m
Matip FREE
Klavan £4m
Gigi £25m
Solanke £4m
Salah £38m
Robertson £10m
Ox £35m
VVD £75m
Keita £53m
Fabinho £40m
Shaq £13m
Alisson £67m
Adrian FREE
Minamino £7.25m

Member 101269

Liverpool's Transfer Window is like a TikTok:

Henderson: I like you have a cupcake
Philips: I like you have a cupcake
Becker: I like you have a cupcake
Norris: I like you have a cupcake
Robertson: I like you have a cupcake
VVD: I like you have a cupcake

wijnaldum and new players: eeeewwwwwwwwwww

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I was initially concerned about the AFCON but apparently the players going to that will only miss two Premier League games in total (other cup competitions take place at a similar time).

Still think we should've gone in for a midfielder but I don't think we have the money to spend currently.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I was initially concerned about the AFCON but apparently the players going to that will only miss two Premier League games in total (other cup competitions take place at a similar time).

Still think we should've gone in for a midfielder but I don't think we have the money to spend currently.
Which is so worrisome imo. If we don't have money to make more than one transfer after we, in the last few seasons:
- made decent profits from outgoings;
- barely made any signings on extreme fees;
- won both the PL and CL.

Then we most likely never will, and it'll be right back into Arsenal territory once Klopp calls it a day in a few years time. Disgraceful mismanagement of FSG if so.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Which is so worrisome imo. If we don't have money to make more than one transfer after we, in the last few seasons:
- made decent profits from outgoings;
- barely made any signings on extreme fees;
- won both the PL and CL.

Then we most likely never will, and it'll be right back into Arsenal territory once Klopp calls it a day in a few years time. Disgraceful mismanagement of FSG if so.
I don't disagree that we've not spent as much as our rivals, but I think Covid and the lack of matchday revenue has hurt the club a lot. FSG have spent money fairly often over the last 11 years and broke records for transfers on several occasions. I think they spend it when the money is available, but right now the focus is on improving the stadium capacity and sorting out contracts.

I'm hoping that next summer we have a bit more available, but Klopp's close to leaving so maybe they're waiting to spend on the new manager when that person comes in.

We'll have to e incredibly lucky with injuries this season if we want to compete.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Not sure if someone's posted this, but my mate just said they have spent the least in the premier league? Is that going to come back to haunt them at the end of this season, I wonder

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Klopp’s last season. We already know he’s fed up with the lack of investment.

Josh 76

Not sure if someone's posted this, but my mate just said they have spent the least in the premier league? Is that going to come back to haunt them at the end of this season, I wonder
That’s not true
I’m sure Newcastle have.

Josh 76

It’s not just about missing games, it’s all the travelling, adjusting to the climate and time zones.
Usually takes a few games to get back into the swing of things.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
This is what our window looks like:

In: Konate (£36m)

Out: Wijnaldum (Free) Wilson (£12m) Grujic (£10.5m) Awoniyi (£6.5m) Grabara (£3m) Millar (£1.3m) Shaqiri (£9.5m)

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I was upset but then in the dying embers of the transfer window, we extended Nat Phillips, which is like a new signing, so it's all good.

Giggs' right foot

I was upset but then in the dying embers of the transfer window, we extended Nat Phillips, which is like a new signing, so it's all good.
Like your parents driving past McDonald’s on your way home for meatloaf.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Managed to quietly renew Rhys Williams as well whilst loaning him out to Swansea. New contracts for everyone (apart from Wijnaldum)!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Up until December, he was playing the best football of his career and so very easily the best left back in the world.
No, not really. He wasn't "very easily" the best in the world. Shaw was better than him last season and at worst they are in the same category. Not sure how good Davies was last year.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It’s not just about missing games, it’s all the travelling, adjusting to the climate and time zones.
Usually takes a few games to get back into the swing of things.
:lol:

Cameroon is in the SAME time zone as England and they’ll be travelling less than they likely would in the Premier League once arrived there.

It’s taxing and tough on players because of the climate, lots of games, you could name a few things. But travelling and time zones are non issues.

Dyslexic Untied

Liverpool have been quite unlucky in that their most successful period over the last thirty or so years coincided with most severe pandemic in modern history. For the short term they still have the team to challenge though. It is such a drilled unit and their best players are still formidable.

TheReligion

Abusive
Interesting performance today. Was comfortable in the end but felt Leeds pretty much carved them open at will. They simply lacked composure to finish at the crucial times.

Terrible injury for Elliott. Hope he gets well soon.

Swedish_Plumber

They’re getting the job done without seeming to move out of second gear. They’ll be there or there abouts at the end of the season. It’ll be whoever is luckiest with injuries that wins the league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They’re getting the job done without seeming to move out of second gear. They’ll be there or there abouts at the end of the season. It’ll be whoever is luckiest with injuries that wins the league.
Yeah, but you don't need to bother much with Leeds, they're just so bad when playing big teams.

Eugenius

Tbf I reckon Chelsea would have done them without the red. For me they lack firepower. Mane is still in poor form. Full backs aren't what they were a couple of years ago, not many goals from midfield. They are horrifically dependent on Salah and don't have good depth.

Swedish_Plumber

Tbf I reckon Chelsea would have done them without the red. For me they lack firepower. Mane is still in poor form. Full backs aren't what they were a couple of years ago, not many goals from midfield. They are horrifically dependent on Salah and don't have good depth.
I agree with you on multiple points, however they do have Klopp. As much as I hate his antics, he brings so much out of average/decent players that you can’t really write them off as long as he’s there. He’s the best in the business and has worked something special out of that Liverpool side the past 3/4 years.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Blood Mage

They have a fantastic midfield and defence, just not sure Salah and Mane have the legs anymore to score 25+ goals this season like they'll need them to. Like City they should have gone all out for a striker.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They have a fantastic midfield and defence, just not sure Salah and Mane have the legs anymore to score 25+ goals this season like they'll need them to. Like City they should have gone all out for a striker.
But, like City, Liverpool are finding ways to score goals all around the team. City players have never been anywhere near golden boot awards yet consistently win the league.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Salah looks as good as ever, maybe better.

It's the rest of the attack that's a concern. I don't like having Jota as our second best attacker. He's good and all, but he shouldn't be that.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
But, like City, Liverpool are finding ways to score goals all around the team. City players have never been anywhere near golden boot awards yet consistently win the league.
In most of City's league wins Aguero has been one of the top scorers.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Salah is the one I wouldn't doubt at all. He's just frustratingly good, on his way to being a Premier League all-time great.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They're not actually, took points off City, us last season. They can sometimes get walloped but on average they do better than your usual mid table sides.
This season they look way worse, though. It's just far too easy

RooneyLegend

Salah looks as good as ever, maybe better.

It's the rest of the attack that's a concern. I don't like having Jota as our second best attacker. He's good and all, but he shouldn't be that.
Whats your beef with Jota?