Liverpool 2021/2022

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I stand by it. Gomez off form is not great, certainly worse than Matip. And he can have bad spells, whereas Matip tends to just have the odd bad game.

Gomez in form is a sumptuous player though and a recipe for clean sheets.
Ha. Yeah, it’s more the turn of phrase I’m debating

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Massively missed their usual midfield trio today. Henderson’s positional awareness when it comes to covering the right flank is massively beneficial to the side. Lots of people on here underestimate Henderson and attribute any success of his to the system he plays in, but are unaware of how much he contributes to the system itself.

Fabinho screening the defence was sorely missed, when Spurs weren’t hitting Liverpool’s right flank they were also getting a lot of joy both in front and behind the Liverpool CBs. Thiago’s formed a good partnership with Fabinho and he was also missed today.

VVD also a big miss (of course).

While I thought Tottenham got lucky with some of the officiating, Liverpool were lucky with Spurs failing to capitalise with some of their chances.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Massively missed their usual midfield trio today. Henderson’s positional awareness when it comes to covering the right flank is massively beneficial to the side. Lots of people on here underestimate Henderson and attribute any success of his to the system he plays in, but are unaware of how much he contributes to the system itself.

Fabinho screening the defence was sorely missed, when Spurs weren’t hitting Liverpool’s right flank they were also getting a lot of joy both in front and behind the Liverpool CBs. Thiago’s formed a good partnership with Fabinho and he was also missed today.

While I thought Tottenham got lucky with some of the officiating, Liverpool were lucky with Spurs failing to capitalise with some of their chances.
Yeah agree with this. Alisson made some cracking saves. Weirdly we had more shots on goal but I think Spurs had the clear cut ones.

Good point overall and City lost that fixture. Could be worse.

Charlie Foley

Good post

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We keep losing our spine despite everyone actually being fit. It's a mystery what we've done to karma to piss her off so much. VvD in defence and Fab and Hendo in midfield would probably get us the league title but they just don't seem to be on the pitch whenever our games start. :houllier:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Milner called it a day beforehand

Corridor of Uncertainty

Pretty remarkable it's their first red card in the league for 2 seasons, when they have as many nasty, snidey fecks as they do (Robertson, Thiago, Milner etc)

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's not an original observation, I know, but seriously how the feck are Liverpool planning to manage during AFCON?
They already have very poor depth in quality in attack as is, and with their two single best, in fact single, wide attackers gone, what will be going on?
Who will they even play? Oxlade Chamberlain? :houllier:

It continues to be puzzling to me why they didn't sign an addition, again. Even Shaqiri is gone, not that he would have done.

They can be thankful they managed to lose the title race before Salah and Mané go off, else it would have been very frustrating to think that such obvious negligence caused the collapse of it.

Liverpool fans should be fuming.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It's not an original observation, I know, but seriously how the feck are Liverpool planning to manage during AFCON?
They already have very poor depth in quality in attack as is, and with their two single best, in fact single, wide attackers gone, what will be going on?

It continues to be puzzling to me why they didn't sign an addition, again. Even Shaqiri is gone, not that he would have done.

They can be thankful they managed to lose the title race before Salah and Mané go off, else it would have been very frustrating to think that such obvious negligence caused the collapse of it.

I think they only have 2 league games during Afcon, but it may be a struggle for them.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

It would be far more frustrating if like you said we were actually good enough to win this title. Our strongest first eleven could probably win the league, but never has 11 players alone won you a premier league. Let alone when 3/4 of them and their back ups are injury prone. Add covid in to the mix and there you have it.

The squad needed more investment than it got. Even our depth players are injury prone.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
We should definitely be paying the cups more attention now though, absolutely no reason not to. The FA cup especially. League one is probably beyond us.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Bit of an irrelevance really though at this point, we’ll finish top four quite comfortably and finish comfortably behind city. It ain’t a thing at this point
Your lack of attacking depth is a thing in itself, and coupled with the AFCON it does strike me as reckless negligence. Honestly, who will play in attack? I struggle to come up with names. Not even talking about bench options, injuries, rotation, cup games.

It also strikes me as a foolish argument to make. That City have now already pulled away isn't what you plan with ahead of the season, is it? And thinking that half way through the season you're comfortably top four is foolish too. Every point from every game will continue to matter, the rivals will only get better.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Your lack of attacking depth is a thing in itself, and coupled with the AFCON it does strike me as reckless negligence. Honestly, who will play in attack? I struggle to come up with names. Not even talking about bench options, injuries, rotation, cup games.

It also strikes me as a foolish argument to make. That City have now already pulled away isn't what you plan with ahead of the season, is it? And thinking that half way through the season you're comfortably top four is foolish too. Every point from every game will continue to matter, the rivals will only get better.
Jota, Firmino, Origi I imagine.

The argument isn't that it didn't matter in the summer (when obviously it did, and Liverpool did poorly), but that it doesn't matter now anymore, give the current situation in the league.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Jota, Firmino, Origi I imagine.

The argument isn't that it didn't matter in the summer (when obviously it did, and Liverpool did poorly), but that it doesn't matter now anymore, give the current situation in the league.
There's a transfer window open right now though.. I realize signing players for the sake of 3 weeks isn't really feasible, but as I said arguably they're in need of another attacker anyway.

Edit: I forgot about Minamino. Time for him to step up, I guess :wenger:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

Because it doesn’t matter now, origi and Minamino are injured currently and Thiago looks like he’ll be out a while. If we didn’t sign anyone till we literally had every CB on a season ending injury last season, we’re not going to do it this season. Is it negligent? Yeah, but that’s how these owners operate.

I couldn’t tell you who we can put out next game, but top four shouldn’t be a difficult ask. To win the title we’d need to win more or less every game and hope city drop some points. I don’t see that happening.

We all (Liverpool fans) made the same points regarding depth before the season and honestly every window since 2019. There’s nothing that can be done about it now. I’m gutted to not be able to win the league but when you’re up against the quality and resources of a pep managed side you need everything to go your way.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Also in terms of managers and squads I don’t really see it getting any better than this for us. I don’t see anyone better coming in. So we might as well enjoy it whilst we can and hope we can compete for the other honours available this season.

Josh 76

I’ve never seen Liverpool look so open in their last two games (spurs and Chelsea). Didn’t watch the Leicester game.

It seems Liverpools high line is catching them out now.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I’ll be honest, I genuinely thought you lot would win the league this season. Not convinced you’re completely out of it even now, but obviously it’ll be a tall order from here.

Genuine question, do Liverpool fans think that this team will just be allowed to decline from this season onwards? I’m sure you’ll remain top 4 competitive with Klopp in charge, but you’d doubt the purchase of 3-4 top class players needed in the summer would be financed by the owners.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’ll be honest, I genuinely thought you lot would win the league this season. Not convinced you’re completely out of it even now, but obviously it’ll be a tall order from here.

Genuine question, do Liverpool fans think that this team will just be allowed to decline from this season onwards? I’m sure you’ll remain top 4 competitive with Klopp in charge, but you’d doubt the purchase of 3-4 top class players needed in the summer would be financed by the owners.
They don't seem to have the money do they.
They've done superbly to maintain the standards this season without much investment. Obviously last season was a freak of injuries and a packed season.

But there must be a few Pool fans thinking, what a brilliant team we've had for the last 4 years especially and we could be looking at 1 league only.
That's the peril of competing against the limitless fund City though.

GaryLifo

They don't seem to have the money do they.
They've done superbly to maintain the standards this season without much investment. Obviously last season was a freak of injuries and a packed season.

But there must be a few Pool fans thinking, what a brilliant team we've had for the last 4 years especially and we could be looking at 1 league only.
That's the peril of competing against the limitless fund City though.
indeed. But I also remember many delighted scousers when City stopped us winning about 4 titles. They didn’t think City were bad for football back then. Only once they started getting in their way.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
indeed. But I also remember many delighted scousers when City stopped us winning about 4 titles. They didn’t think City were bad for football back then. Only once they started getting in their way.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm delighted they're being stopped, as they'll never have this level of team themselves again.

Klopp probably has a max of 2 more seasons, which will be a very dangerous time for them as their best players will just be over that peak line by then.

Our problem is I think Pep only has one more season. So who stops them in 2 seasons time? We'll worry about this season for now I think!

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I think it's really important for us to win a cup this season. The league looks incredibly unlikely but the League Cup, FA Cup or Champions League would be doable for this side. Klopp needs another trophy in the cabinet.

We really dropped the ball not signing a replacement for Wijnaldum. Our midfield strength is based around having Thiago and Fabinho available and playing together. Henderson has dropped off and Milner is ancient. Keita can't seem to keep fit and Chamberlain isn't the option. Jones is ok but again, doesn't fill the Wijnaldum void.

acnumber9

Salah in the form of his life and Liverpool are only on track for an 80 point season. Time for their fans to stop deluding themselves that they’re in the bracket with Man City.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The drop is going to be severe when it happens and I think that is slowly dawning on Liverpool fans now. Klopp is a miracle worker and the next manager will be coming into a team whose best CB is 30+ post ligament damage, a finished Mane, a wantaway Salah, a past his best Firmino, an aging captain and no squad to speak of.

They should have been adding quality each year, even if it were just one player, but continually went to the bargain bin to fill the bench.

Klopp is a miracle worker, but the problem with managing underdogs is that they are underdogs for a reason. Liverpool won’t have the squad, or the money, to be back challenging at the top of the PL for a very long time post-Klopp.

The board get a good rep because they lucked out with the best manager of his generation. The negligence and lack of investment has been covered by that one choice.

The next boss there will have an impossible job and the board will be exposed big time.

GaryLifo

We should tell Klopp that we've fecked off the Disney Land stuff now and are ready to let him have a go again....

432JuanMata

Salah in the form of his life and Liverpool are only on track for an 80 point season. Time for their fans to stop deluding themselves that they’re in the bracket with Man City.
Nobody is the bracket of city. Liverpool are the team that takes advantage when city have a off season but overall it’s a 1 team league but the rest challenging each other behind.
They are on for 81 points which would get you a challenge years ago and these days probably 2nd but with City in the league that is not good enough

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The drop is going to be severe when it happens and I think that is slowly dawning on Liverpool fans now. Klopp is a miracle worker and the next manager will be coming into a team whose best CB is 30+ post ligament damage, a finished Mane, a wantaway Salah, a past his best Firmino, an aging captain and no squad to speak of.

They should have been adding quality each year, even if it were just one player, but continually went to the bargain bin to fill the bench.

Klopp is a miracle worker, but the problem with managing underdogs is that they are underdogs for a reason. Liverpool won’t have the squad, or the money, to be back challenging at the top of the PL for a very long time post-Klopp.

The board get a good rep because they lucked out with the best manager of his generation. The negligence and lack of investment has been covered by that one choice.

The next boss there will have an impossible job and the board will be exposed big time.
I am expecting Gerard to have them challenging unfortunately. Just have to hope their board don’t wake up to make it even easier for him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I am expecting Gerard to have them challenging unfortunately. Just have to hope their board don’t wake up to make it even easier for him.
They won’t have the money to replace their golden generation all at once, and any manager is a massive downgrade on Klopp.

If they couldnt even sign a proper CB last season, and have never even tried to buy someone to compete with Mane, where will the money come from to replace this…

VvD - 30
Milner - 36
Henderson - 31
Mane - 30 in a few months
Salah - 29
Firmino - 30

That is a lot to be done in the next few years and they just keep leaving it. Even if they do find reps on the same level, they still won’t have a squad.

They have been playing a dangerous game the last few years and it will come back to bite them when Klopp leaves.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
After Salah and Mane leave for AFCON there is a large Covid outbreak and they are asking for all their matches are postponed including other Comps.

How Convenient!!

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
After Salah and Mane leave for AFCON there is a large Covid outbreak and they are asking for all their matches are postponed including other Comps.

How Convenient!!
Yes incredibly convenient not being able to even train. We went to Spurs and Chelsea with players missing because we could still train. We couldn't train today and probably can't train tomorrow. That's why we put the request in. It's that simple.

IrishRedDevil

Yes incredibly convenient not being able to even train. We went to Spurs and Chelsea with players missing because we could still train. We couldn't train today and probably can't train tomorrow. That's why we put the request in. It's that simple.
United had to close Carrington for 4 days, two weeks after a new manager arrived. We played the games and of course underperformed and dropped points. Life goes on and the rules are clear and there to be followed by all (including Liverpool).