Liverpool are the luckiest club in the league and it will never end

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s just one preposterous decision after another followed by fluke after fluke followed by more preposterous decisions.

It’s been going on for too long to hold any hope that it might one day come to an end.

Redfrog

But their luck today is just not really a blessing. The replay is the worst situation for anyone with the crazy schedule.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
They literally threw away a league title thanks to their captain having a slip and their goalkeeper made two big bloopers in a CL final.

Not sure how lucky are they....

More like Klopp's luck than Liverpool's luck.

:eek:
They literally threw away a league title thanks to their captain having a slip and their goalkeeper made two big bloopers in a CL final.

Haven’t they won 2 CL/EC’s on penalties?
They even won two cups on pens last season.

Last edited:

BEST No7

They finger their own sisters, not sure that makes them lucky

Well percentage wise it's no different to ours roughly +/3 of their wins.

(Our European record is shambolic).
Competed in 27 shootouts, won 20 :eek:

They’ve won 7 cup finals on pens, lost one.

Safe to say percentage wise that is an incredible stat compared to anyone.

Not certain of ours*, but we lost in the Europa League final, and the Arsenal FA cup final. We’ve never won a penalty shootout in the entire 151 year history of the FA Cup. :lol:

*just checked, 18 shootouts, won 8.

Dansk

It's nothing short of absurd how lucky that team is. Time and time and time again, they have all the incidentals on their side. Never seen anything like it. This has been going on for a long time, too. It should be statistically impossible for a team to be this lucky.

It's not just within games, either. Look how insanely favorable their groups and draws are in the CL season after season, not to mention how disgustingly lucky they were to play a CL final against fecking Tottenham. And then they get a freak lottery penalty in the first minute of the final, too.

Last edited:
Penalties are not luck
Meh, if a bloke slips as he’s about to beat you in a CL final, and you then go on to win it, I’m going with luck.
If a side like Arsenal in the FA Cup final get absolutely battered for 120 minutes, only to win a shootout, I’m going with luck winning them that trophy.
Call it what you like.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
In Europe we are master bottlers
Unfortunately and not too dissimilar to juve.
Competed in 27 shootouts, won 20 :eek:

They’ve won 7 cup finals on pens, lost one.

Safe to say percentage wise that is an incredible stat compared to anyone.

Not certain of ours*, but we lost in the Europa League final, and the Arsenal FA cup final. We’ve never won a penalty shootout in the entire 151 year history of the FA Cup. :lol:

*just checked, 18 shootouts, won 8.
Certainly better than ours but I'm not sure if I'm going to call it luck, there's a certain art to it.

Unfortunately and not too dissimilar to juve.

Certainly better than ours but I'm not sure if I'm going to call it luck, there's a certain art to it.
There’s also a massive element of luck. We’ve all seen great shootouts lost, like United a couple of years back, where 20 pens were incredible and would’ve won 99% of shootouts.
We’ve also seen shootouts where players have hit some absolutely awful pens and still managed to win. Italy’s win vs. England in 2021 a perfect example.

There’s plenty of “luck” or bad luck in most shootouts.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just watching the highlights and wasn't Salah clearly offside for his goal?

crossy1686

career ending
If you replace Liverpool with United in the title, this feels like a very RAWK thread.

However, they are unbelievably jammy and I’m looking forward to this unsustainable circumstance coming to an abrupt end at their expense

Red_toad

The ball was passed back by a Wolves player, wasn't it?
No it was crossed in his direction by Gapko I think and intercepted by Toti glancing off his head then through to Salah. No idea what the latest rules are, they seem to change weekly.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
There’s also a massive element of luck. We’ve all seen great shootouts lost, like United a couple of years back, where 20 pens were incredible and would’ve won 99% of shootouts.
We’ve also seen shootouts where players have hit some absolutely awful pens and still managed to win. Italy’s win vs. England in 2021 a perfect example.

There’s plenty of “luck” or bad luck in most shootouts.
Has any team ever won a cup competition without luck? Genuine question.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
They stank the place out against a struggling Wolves side, their keeper who they all love made a fecking plank of himself and they needed some questionable decisions to earn a replay they don't want.

If that's luck they can keep it. If you talk to any sane scousers they are not enjoying this season in the slightest because they're well aware how shit they've been. As for all the late wins they've had these past few years, good teams have a habit of doing that as we well know.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Okay, let’s compile a non-exhaustive list of good fortune they regularly appear to be the beneficiaries of:
  • opposition teams with inexplicable misses they routinely score every other week
  • opposition howlers from defenders and goalkeepers gifting them goals
  • opposition star players getting injured/suspended immediately prior to playing Liverpool
  • weak officiating, particularly at Anfield
  • VAR calls going their way an inordinate amount of times
  • nonsensical and unprecedented VAR (and non-VAR) calls
  • money laundering-esque transfer fees received for absolute duds that no club should want, which fund their next signings
  • their manager being allowed to act like the biggest tosser in the league every week and not only is he never penalised for it, he’s actually lauded
  • and most infuriatingly of all, the media failing to highlight any of the above​
I posted in the match thread tonight that they are the jammiest team in world sports bar none and nothing will ever convince me otherwise. There’s loads more examples I have forgotten to mention but I’m sure others will remind us in this thread in due course.

eire-red

Has any team ever won a cup competition without luck? Genuine question.
You definitely need luck. Real Madrid's CL win last season was one of the greatest ever, but they had huge slices of luck. Doesn't negate the achievement in the slightest.

United's treble in 99 was another lucky one, but sometimes you make your own luck, and it can feel like it was "written in the stars".

cyberman

It’s the easy chances that the opposition routinely miss against them that gets me

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
No it was crossed in his direction by Gapko I think and intercepted by Toti glancing off his head then through to Salah. No idea what the latest rules are, they seem to change weekly.
Its only “not” offside if the defending player purposely plays it in a certain direction. Any type of deflection, tackle that sends the ball flying or something like that shall not cancel an offside call.

There is only one thing that works for refereeing football. And that is to set up a very clear standard that cannot be misinterpreted and then follow it to the letter, all the time without exception.

These guys, Mike Dean and co, have never done that. They are reactionary. Make-up calls. They bend the rules when they think it shows that they “understand” the game and stuff like that.

That will just — always — eventually lead to disasters. Something is called a handball in one game and not the other — despite the presence of VAR and the ability to review plays from endless directions. How do you explain that to a fan? It is impossible, and these guys do not even remotely understand just how frustrating it is for fans.

They just need to clean house at the top. It’s the only way. It is not hard. It just must be done properly. You must have consistency at this level. You just cannot expect to avoid disasterous situations if you ‘play it by ear’, not only on the effing pitch, but in a VAR room.

There is also way to much politics in the reffing world of football. It’s suicidal to have this system where there are a few singular persons at the top that selects the people to reff games. The fact that Mike Dean is still around, we all know it’s only about some friendship he has at whatever place. He is a nice bloke. Whatever. FFS put some kind of independent board in place to evaluate the refs.

This is also a — huuuuge — reason for why we never have any elite refs in Europe from the PL. If you are a good young ref in English football, it’s extremely hard to make a career and rise in the ranks.

BlueHaze

Lost out on the league twice in the past 3 years by 1 point.

That's some luck..

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Lost out on the league twice in the past 3 years by 1 point.

That's some luck..
They only managed a draw today. They also required massive amounts of luck to do so. What's your point?

They don't even have to win anything to be jammy as feck.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As much as I love to see them lose, I believe a replay was the worst result for them. Don't care about the FA cup, it's all about that CL spot for us and this makes it harder for them to get it

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

That's not luck

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
While I’ll agree that they get some hilarious calls going their way, the fact they now have a replay, in an already packed schedule, is not what I would describe as lucky today. A tough one as well. PL opposition, away. That said they did benefit from some proper luck, or maybe I should say some ridiculous rules, in securing that replay.

wangyu

Didn’t they already run out of luck this season? They’re basically out of the challenge since before Christmas.
It is not like utd wasn’t lucky against everton. That Calvert Lewin goal was class but rightly called off of course. Malacia could have had a red card for 2 separate challenges (though I would not have agreed with it) and we scored an own goal.

Anyway I don’t watch liverpool anymore because it is nerve wrecking as a utd fan

Mr Smith

Why are you complaining? Liverpool having to play an extra game is ideal; their midfield and defence are already stretched. This was the ideal outcome.

LordSpud

The fact Alisson scored that last minute winner to somehow earn them Champions League, then getting easy draws through that campaign to get to the Final is the one that gets me. Just madness.