Liverpool FC are up for sale

Kill3r7

Why's that? They don't have any stake in the Commanders - and Dan Snyder doesn't really want to sell right now either, so that process could take a while. The NFL is a completely different kind of league than the PL as well so hard to take anything away from such a valuation.

Even if they want to, they have very recent examples in both the PL (Chelsea) and the NFL (Broncos) to compare any bids to.
No team has sold for over $5 billion yet. The Commanders will likely go for $6+ billion, assuming Snyder sells, which resets the clock for the ceiling of what someone will pay for a sports team. No it is not a one to one comparison but it bodes well for FSG getting a higher valuation. Hence why I would be surprised by them trying to sell now.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
This was rumoured in 2018 and they couldn’t provide proof of funds.
If we do sell it’s likely going to be to a USA consortium.
Agreed. Don’t see there being an appreciable difference between FSG and new owners in that case.

ROFLUTION

Are we about to get sport washed?
hopefully not. As much as I hate you scouse bastards, we need to have “real” clubs - hopefully United and Liverpool will share the same non-oligarch fate as the history of borh clubs is untouchable. Would be unbearably sad to see you guys getting sportswashed

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool

Followed by official LFC twitter…

Edit: Just seen that LFC twitter follow thousands of people:lol: False alarm! Guys probably just clickbaiting

E2: Seen that this could just be a conveniently timed sponsorship deal with Qatari Telecom firm Ooredoo, in which case this guy was just riding the wave of hysteria surrounding the club atm

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Followed by official LFC twitter…

Edit: Just seen that LFC twitter follow thousands of people:lol: False alarm! Guys probably just clickbaiting

E2: Seen that this could just be a conveniently timed sponsorship deal with Qatari Telecom firm Ooredoo, in which case this guy was just riding the wave of hysteria surrounding the club atm
What country’s flag is that?

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Oh christ no for your sake.
Think it’s just clout chasing. Ooredoo are a telecom company who allegedly sought a sponsorship deal with us back in 2013. Think maybe this is them sealing a sponsorship agreement; or this guy just capitalising on the news that we’re up for sale to increase his follower count.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If they get bankrolled to the extent of city and Newcastle it is game over for the likes of us. Actually think with their history, global fanbase etc it’s even more worrying than the other two.
Thats why we shouldn't be opposed to abu dhabi buying us out.

Mr. Robot

Well, at least your wish is going to come true. We can take the moral high ground and not win a PL/CL for the next 20 years.
I will happily take that moral high ground as well.

I take human lives seriously and football is just that, football.

Liverpool can win everything under new oil lords, means nothing just like it means nothing with Siddy winning stuff with their oil money.

I would take winning nothing forever if it meant we avoid being owned by the human right’s abusing states.

cyberman

Well, at least your wish is going to come true. We can take the moral high ground and not win a PL/CL for the next 20 years.
I’m not sure you realise how soulless those wins would be. So much appeal of the league would be gone. Everything negative about a SL would be upon us without having an actual super league

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
I’m not sure you realise how soulless those wins would be. So much appeal of the league would be gone. Everything negative about a SL would be upon us without having an actual super league
super league sounds more appealing in that scenario tbh

MUFC OK

I will happily take that moral high ground as well.

I take human lives seriously and football is just that, football.

Liverpool can win everything under new oil lords, means nothing just like it means nothing with Siddy winning stuff with their oil money.

I would take winning nothing forever if it meant we avoid being owned by the human right’s abusing states.
I mean, take any billionnaire/consortium that has amassed sufficient wealth to buy a top football club (were now talking £4bn plus sufficient capital to invest in infrastructure) and I'd point out that they've all generated at least a portion of it through nefarious activities.

But I agree, it would be in the back of one's mind and possibly partially taint the feeling. I mean you have to respect the United fans who went to support FC United when the glazers took over. American ownership is just another evil to being owned by an oil state. They are hardly clean.

redcucumber

I mean, take any billionnaire/consortium that has amassed sufficient wealth to buy a top football club (were now talking £4bn plus sufficient capital to invest in infrastructure) and I'd point out that they've all generated at least a portion of it through nefarious activities.

But I agree, it would be in the back of one's mind and possibly partially taint the feeling. I mean you have to respect the United fans who went to support FC United when the glazers took over. American ownership is just another evil to being owned by an oil state. They are hardly clean.
A rich businessman/consortium is completely different to a state backer.

Real Name

We arent owned by USA. This has been done ad nauseaum and its a whatabaoutism which round and round in circles.

Mr. Robot

There’s a massive difference between being backed by a state and owned by a dodgy American family.

The Glazers aren’t clean, sure. But they’re not assassinating journalists.

The thing is, too many of our ‘fans’ can’t handle not winning silverware and would welcome the likes of PSG or City owners. Football really isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

I want the Glazers gone as much as you do. But I don’t want to replace a set of clowns with an evil empire.

MUFC OK

There’s a massive difference between being backed by a state and owned by a dodgy American family.

The Glazers aren’t clean, sure. But they’re not assassinating journalists.

The thing is, too many of our ‘fans’ can’t handle not winning silverware and would welcome the likes of PSG or City owners. Football really isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

I want the Glazers gone as much as you do. But I don’t want to replace a set of clowns with an evil empire.
No I agree on that, the most obvious ill that the Glazers do is to the club itself but there's no way their dealings haven't caused human pain and suffering somewhere along the line.

The way I see it, the world is full of evil especially amongst those who have generated astronomical sums of wealth.

Do you think the likes of SAF would have abandoned United if City’s owners had bought us instead of them? I suspect not.

I actually don’t know how I’d feel if we were taken over by a state backed club, football is escapism from real life and I’d certainly like to see us competing for the top trophies again. Either way, don’t see the Glazers letting go so I don’t anticipate being faced with that moral dilemma.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's not a wish, it's just how I would feel in this (as of now) fictitious scenario you are presenting. Football is just football, I'm not a fan of our owners by any measurable metric, but at least they're not City's, Newcastle's or PSG's, and that means something to me. I won't be one of those fans doing mental gymnastics to try to justify that type of ownership, it would be so far removed from my moral principles and values that my support for the club would be broken. Winning titles under that type of ownership would mean nothing to me. My wish, if you insist on using that word, is that it doesn't come to that and that the Glazers sell to a good owner who cares about the club and injects money into it beyond first team transfers and salaries.
We arent owned by USA. This has been done ad nauseaum and its a whatabaoutism which round and round in circles.
Yeah, not going to even respond to that point, the "yeah but no one is good really deep down" argument has been done by City fans for a decade now, it's ignorant and totally misses the point.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool

Article lays it on thick but some interesting points:
  1. US based groups have been acquiring, in whole or part, a significant number of football clubs in recent years. With the implication being that American interest in Liverpool is expected to be significant, especially given the recent sale of Chelsea.
  2. Four Dubai based companies contacted an unnamed source in M&A regarding putting a bid together for Liverpool. Apparently these conversations halted after these groups were unable to prove legitimate finances.
  3. Author concludes that Liverpool need someone 'like FSG'
I think it is likely to be another American consortium who will eventually take the reigns. My concern with this is that I don't see how the value of the club is likely to increase massively as it did under FSG considering:
  1. After the Anfield Road expansion, further expansion to Anfield is unrealistic.
  2. We already have a new expensive training ground.
  3. We already have a massive global fanbase.
  4. We're already a CL team (for now :lol:)
If our value does not increase for new owners to then recoup a substantial fee in another sale. What exactly is in it for them? FSG don't take money out of the club; it seems that a new, profit driven owner would have to do that if they wanted to make money off us. This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I would rather we become a mid-table club than be bought out by one of the oil states.
If it means I can continue supporting LFC with no regrets then I'd even take relegation. Top end football is fecked now anyway.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

1. US based groups have been acquiring, in whole or part, a significant number of football clubs in recent years. With the implication being that American interest in Liverpool is expected to be significant, especially given the recent sale of Chelsea.
  2. Four Dubai based companies contacted an unnamed source in M&A regarding putting a bid together for Liverpool. Apparently these conversations halted after these groups were unable to prove legitimate finances.
I think it is likely to be another American consortium who will eventually take the reigns. My concern with this is that I don't see how the value of the club is likely to increase massively as it did under FSG considering:
  1. After the Anfield Road expansion, further expansion to Anfield is unrealistic.
If our value does not increase for new owners to then recoup a substantial fee in another sale. What exactly is in it for them? FSG don't take money out of the club; it seems that a new, profit driven owner would have to do that if they wanted to make money off us. This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
It'll be interesting. Not sure where a Oil Kingpin comes from now with the Newcastle sale as Saudi was the obvious one. Maybe somewhere like Oman or Brunei?

Outside of that it is another American which is most likely imo. However, the question will have to be what is their aim? The Super League is dead, which was FSG's main aim as that would've super charged income. Is there a American out there that has the pockets for Liverpool and is a fan; doubtful.

For me, it is likely that they'll get an American who will 'buy and hold' the club as apart of a portfolio. This will likely be a consortium but I guess you cannot rule out a maverick like Musk (I know he is actually South African but is US based) depending on what he is smoking this month. Then there is the consortium's. Will one of the people that tried to buy Chelsea get involved? If so the question is then was there a reason they fell below Clearlake? Was it due to investment or something else?

The question then will be whether they can approach things well, FSG have probably been the best US owners so the bar will be set high for them.

Hester_manc

I just hope they do not end up with an oil millionaire. There are plenty of English football clubs ruined by such shady owners with backgrounds where human rights are a parenthesis.

I hate Liverpool like I hate no other club. But I respect parts of their history as it stands right now. I can't have that respect for clubs like PSG, Manchester City or Newcastle. I hope that another traditional club is not destroyed.

Zen86

The PL is a complete shambles now anyway, Newcastle will soon be the icing on the cake. Liverpool going into state-backed hands (although I think that is unlikely) won’t change much.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I would rather we become a mid-table club than be bought out by one of the oil states.
All oil states are terrorists ? Every non-white owner is a blood thirsty maniac while white owners are just twats ?

I think it was pointed out last time the prospective buyer wasn't an 'oil' 'state' because it wasn't a 'state' and even if it was (for arguments sake) it wasn't an 'oil state' because 'oil' didn't make up a major chunk of its economy.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
All oil states are terrorists ? Every non-white owner is a blood thirsty maniac while white owners are just twats ?

I think it was pointed out last time the prospective buyer wasn't an 'oil' 'state' because it wasn't a 'state' and even if it was (for arguments sake) it wasn't an 'oil state' because 'oil' didn't make up a major chunk of its economy.
Weird rant when the person you quoted never mentioned terrorists and the difference between state and emirate is really irrelevant

Pickle85

Who mentioned non white? Plenty knew Roman had blood on his hands, for instance.

cyberman

And she has to be good looking, obviously, with an hour glass figure who comes from money…

Sir Erik ten Hag

A bit weird to see people stand against the oil billionaires buying United, yet freak out immediately at the prospect of them buying Liverpool.