Liverpool might pull out of Carabao cup

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The people moaning about Klopp, did you actually read the article or just the headline? Of course he would want to games changed. They are scheduled for the same time that Liverpool will be away at the Club World Cup. I love to take the piss at Liverpool any chance I get, but sorry guys, he's right. How can he possibly play in a Carabao Cup quarter final when his team is away in Qatar playing in the FIFA world cup???

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
How can he possibly play in a Carabao Cup quarter final when his team is away in Qatar playing in the FIFA world cup???
Well he has got very long legs...

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
Let's not deny that it's fecking hilarious that he starts throwing this out after they've knocked Arsenal out. Talk about kicking a them when they're down.
We play the kids and it's clear Klopp doesn't care if we progress; concede five goals and still somehow manage to win. Then this. It really is hilarious. Sorry Arsenal fans.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Only Arsenal could lose 5-4 after leading 5-4.

Stolen

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was really hoping Arsenal would knock them out tonight. He's never cared for this cup.

el3mel

The people moaning about Klopp, did you actually read the article or just the headline? Of course he would want to games changed. They are scheduled for the same time that Liverpool will be away at the Club World Cup. I love to take the piss at Liverpool any chance I get, but sorry guys, he's right. How can he possibly play in a Carabao Cup quarter final when his team is away in Qatar playing in the FIFA world cup???
Yeah he's definitely right to press them to reschedule the match. I think they will do eventually otherwise it will be ridiculous from them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We got offered a bye to start at 5th round of fa cup iirc.

But we says no.

Let's not rewrite history
You've had an absolute disaster with this one.
As if we'd turn a bye down!

matsdf

Very easy to understand Klopps frustration here. Why is this cup still a thing?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Successful teams play more games, would he rather Liverpool lost more so they had less to play.
The quarter finals are scheduled for "the week commencing Monday 16th December." So presumably midweek, as there is a Premier league round at the weekend.

We play the first game of the club world cup on Wednesday the 18th. We literally can't play the league cup fixture as it stands now.

norm87cro

What kind of club would back out of a domestic cup to play in the Club World Cup?
If this was sarcasm well done mate. If not my bad. Anyway if I remember correctly we pulled out of the Fa Cup in the 99/00 campaign to play the World Club Cup. I didn't like it but the FA wasn't helpful either. And as much as to my dislike I have to agree with Klopp on this one. The FA should support their most successful football teams and not undermine them. FFS the Dippers are punished for bringing the CL trophy to England and its not wright. This kind of thing would never happen in Italy or Spain and it has always boggled me how in England these things are very unflexible.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
The quarter finals are scheduled for "the week commencing Monday 16th December." So presumably midweek, as there is a Premier league round at the weekend.

We play the first game of the club world cup on Wednesday the 18th. We literally can't play the league cup fixture as it stands now.
It's pretty poor planning from the FA, but then I don't know how far in advance fixture dates are decided, but probably would have been an ok guess to make that Liverpool would be in the QF.

Still, it's the price of success, the fixture pile up can be ridiculous.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Imagine pulling out of a domestic cup to chase the world championship, what tossers! :lol:

We got offered a bye to start at 5th round of fa cup iirc.

But we says no.

Let's not rewrite history
Nah, we said we'd play if they gave us a bye.

Let's not rewrite history now ;)

IIRC Villa got the bye and would've been our opponents.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If Liverpool get us they are guaranteed to pull out. We stopped them winning the title last year, exposed them this year and Klopp hasn’t got a clue what to do against Ole.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Imagine pulling out of a domestic cup to chase the world championship, what tossers! :lol:

Nah, we said we'd play if they gave us a bye.

Let's not rewrite history now ;)

IIRC Villa got the bye and would've been our opponents.
IIRC Fergie said he was told by the FA that not competing would harm our chances of holding the WC in England. Never happened and FIFA never had that intention anyway.

It was a farce all round.

Bwuk

Find it ridiculous. Play their u23s in the cup if needs be.

Revan

Assumptionman
If I was Klopp, and FA didn't offer to reschedule the tie, I would have pulled out too. Liverpool cannot be in two places at the same time, and World Cup championship is much more prestigious that League Cup.

I always wonder how inflexible FA is when it comes to these things. Would have never been a problem in other countries, where the federations try everything to help their most successful teams.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why do people assume it will be a problem with the FA?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If I was Klopp, and FA didn't offer to reschedule the tie, I would have pulled out too. Liverpool cannot be in two places at the same time, and World Cup championship is much more prestigious that League Cup.

I always wonder how inflexible FA is when it comes to these things. Would have never been a problem in other countries, where the federations try everything to help their most successful teams.

This is nonsensical.
How many of that squad he put out yesterday would even be in their travelling party?

More than 2?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is nonsensical.
How many of that squad he put out yesterday would even be in their travelling party?

More than 2?
And who manages them for the game? Do they just send liverpool reserves?

Btw, answer to your question is probably 10 out of 18 will go to Qatar

Last edited:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
This is nonsensical.

More than 2?
Ffs.

What is nonsensical is play two games on the same day, as looks like the case now without rescheduling. It would be unprecedented.

It's still a first team game.

TheReligion

Abusive
Really poor planning from the EFL but having had the same happen to United (and not really giving a shit about Liverpool) I'm not prepared to sympathise.

No other teams should have their own schedule interfered with so either all the games should be moved by a day or two or Liverpool will have to just lump it like we did.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What are the possible reschedule options?
It's going to be played in January I'm pretty sure.

Just happy as long as we don't get a Liverpool with VDV, Salah, Mane, Firmino all suddenly coming out of hibernation in this competition. We could still lose but obviously much better chance playing their young/second string players.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Pellegrini knew what to do.

Just realised that this has classic "Where are they now?" potential.

Willy Caballero - Chelsea (Premier League), reserve keeper
Pablo Zabaleta - West Ham (Premier League), reserve full-back
Tosin Adarabioyo - Blackburn (Championship), on loan from City
Martin Demichelis - Retired
Aleksandar Kolarov - Roma (Serie A), starting full-back
Man Utd Garcia - Sporting Gijon (Segunda), starting midfielder
Fernando - Sevilla (La Liga), starting midfielder
Aleix Garcia - Mouscron (Belgian PL), squad player
Bersant Celina - Swansea (Championship), key player
Kelechi Iheanacho - Leicester (Premier League), squad player
David Faupala - FK Jerv (Norwegian Championship), starting striker

Pantscat

You've had an absolute disaster with this one.
As if we'd turn a bye down!
I remember at the time the newspapers definitely reported that we’d been offered a bye and we turned it down. Could well be nonsense but it was what we were told at the time. I assume he read the same pieces.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If this was sarcasm well done mate. If not my bad. Anyway if I remember correctly we pulled out of the Fa Cup in the 99/00 campaign to play the World Club Cup. I didn't like it but the FA wasn't helpful either. And as much as to my dislike I have to agree with Klopp on this one. The FA should support their most successful football teams and not undermine them. FFS the Dippers are punished for bringing the CL trophy to England and its not wright. This kind of thing would never happen in Italy or Spain and it has always boggled me how in England these things are very unflexible.
They're not being punished!!
The FA are not doing it to spite them, this quarter final was in the calendar as this week due to availability, the FA can't suddenly turn round and think it needs to be changed because there's a chance Liverpool will make it through!! Madness.
People comparing it to Uniteds FA cup situation are inherently wrong, the FA put pressure on United to drop the FA cup.
Also Fergie said it was the best thing we did that season, it gave the players a chance to recover and rest in warmer climate,

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
This is our December fixture list as it stands with Villa added in for the League Cup QF

Wed 4 Everton H
Sat 7 Bournemouth A
Tue 10 Salzburg A
Sat 14 Watford H
Tue 17 Villa A
Wed 18 CWC N
Sat 21 CWC N
West Ham (Postponed due to CWC) A
Thu 26 Leicester A
Sun 29 Wolves H

I've no idea what they'll do but maybe Mon 23rd Dec could work for the Villa match as we both play on the 21st (providing we get to the CWC final) so it would be a fair match all round? Crazy scheduling and the West Ham game still needs to slot in somewhere down the line. The joys of being a successful team again!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ffs.

What is nonsensical is play two games on the same day, as looks like the case now without rescheduling. It would be unprecedented.

It's still a first team game.
It won't ever be 2 games on the same day.
And tell me how many of that squad you fielded yesterday would even be in your travelling party?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I remember at the time the newspapers definitely reported that we’d been offered a bye and we turned it down. Could well be nonsense but it was what we were told at the time. I assume he read the same pieces.
Do not remember that, and I'd be surprised if you could find anything to corroborate that.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It won't ever be 2 games on the same day.
And tell me how many of that squad you fielded yesterday would even be in your travelling party?
Hence the need to reschedule.

At least six of them (gomez, milner, origi, chamberlain, keita, Lallana).

Brewster and Elliott might go as well, with little chance of featuring.

It's a really bad argument though. It's a first team competition. If the FA said that it's fine to play while the first team are on a plane to dubai since the reserves can play, they might as well just pack in the competition for good.

But we'd simply withdraw if that turns out to be the case.