Liverpool plan to increase Anfield capacity

VJ1762

From the BBC

Liverpool have moved forward with plans to extend Anfield's capacity to about 60,000 by inviting local residents to attend public consultation events.

The Premier League leaders hope to develop the stadium's Anfield Road End in a bid to build on the current capacity of 54,074.

Over 5,000 leaflets have been distributed outlining consultation events from 29 November to 4 December.

Liverpool completed the expansion of Anfield's Main Stand in 2016.

The Main Stand development cost about £100m.

Outline planning permission was also in place to redevelop the Anfield Road End of the ground.

Those plans would have added a further 4,825 seats but in August the club chose to instead pursue "ambitious new plans", prompting the consultation process.

"The consultation events are designed for local residents, businesses and fans to learn more and offer their feedback on the club's vision to create a bigger Anfield, which would allow more fans to watch some of Europe's best football in a world-class facility," the club said.

Interested parties can attend consultation events at The Kop Bar from 16:00 GMT on Friday 29 November, Monday 2 December (16:00) and Tuesday 3 December (12:00).

A pop-up information stand will also be open on Anfield Road before the games against Brighton on 30 November and Everton on 4 December.
Liverpool are making waves both on and off the pitch. While OT is in desperate need of a facelift. We are falling behind on everything.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
From the BBC

Liverpool are making waves both on and off the pitch. While OT is in despetrate need of a facelift. We are falling behind on everything.
I cant see the Glaziers pumping in the sort of funds needed for a refurb unfortunately.

VJ1762

I cant see the Glaziers pumping in the sort of funds needed for a refurb unfortunately.
Yeah, we already have a large debt to pay as it is. While OT needs a facelift, I also don't want the glazers to further pile an additional 1 or 2 billion of debt onto the club. This is the endgame for Manchester United.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
From the BBC

Liverpool are making waves both on and off the pitch. While OT is in desperate need of a facelift. We are falling behind on everything.
I wonder if we didn't have the biggest capacity, would the Glazer's start investing?

Currently, the biggest stadiums in the PL are about 15,000 seats behind us and it doesn't look like anyone is going to surpass that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why are you getting upset about them adding 6000 seats? They're hardly towering over us because of it.

VJ1762

Still smaller than us, losers.
But they are on the ascendance though. Everything about them screams positive at the moment and their fanbase has swelled dramatically. Their owners seem to care more than ours.

stubie

If one or two circumstances were different I’m sure we would be in a position to increase to 100,000.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They won't fill it
With absolute ease, actually. It's nigh on impossible to get tickets through the official application process if you're not a privileged member right now.

Aouer-United

We have a plan to extend our capacity to almost 90,000 but it was more complicated than you think, it was impossible to extend without affecting a railway line running directly behind the stadium.

From the BBC

Their stadium is not exactly world-class, they look so outdated like our, they only want to expand 6000 seaters which are small, they still are far behind us.

So does Liverpool owner, they don't invest in expanding the stadium with their own money.

Can we stop romanticizing Liverpool owner? They are not exactly angels who save the club from falling and I don't want him to be our owner, he'd do the same thing as Glazers because this is what businessmen would do.

Shit thread.

dove

We have a plan to extend our capacity to almost 90,000 but it was more complicated than you think, it was impossible to extend without affecting a railway line running directly behind the stadium.
The biggest complication is the Glazers, not the fecking railway. We are not in 1950s where this excuse would make sense, Estadio Calderon (old Atletico Madrid) stadium was built over a fecking highway. The biggest obstacle here is that it would cost a bit more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But they are on the ascendance though. Everything about them screams positive at the moment and their fanbase has swelled dramatically. Their owners seem to care more than ours.
Let's see how long it lasts before panicking though. Nothing has a permanence - neither their recent upswing nor our downswing.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Old Trafford was refurbished for £20 million this offseason. Carrington is due for a upgrade valued at £50 million.

It's not fancy new seats, but money is being spent on facilities and upgrades all around.

But yes, the South Stand 100% needs an upgrade, the roof among other things, but we're not doing nothing, just not everything.

pacifictheme

From the BBC

Itt falling behind m3ans having the biggest club stadium in the country by 15000 seats. Cool.

Aouer-United

The biggest complication is the Glazers, not the fecking railway. We are not in 1950s where this excuse would make sense, Estadio Calderon (old Atletico Madrid) stadium was built over a fecking highway. The biggest obstacle here is that it would cost a bit more.
Atletico Madrid knew they couldn't upgrade the stadium over the highway so they moved to the different stadium which was previously owned by the Madrid government and transferred ownership to Atletico Madrid at no cost, it cost them around £200 to £250m to renovate the stadium and extended to 68,000 seats. They hope it will be repaid fully within a decade.

If we want to upgrade our stadium capacity, we'd have to move away from Old Trafford and build a new stadium anywhere, it'd be more expensive.

Bestietom

Thought the way was cleared by British Rail to extend. They were planning to run a train for tourists when we refurbish and extend. Is this not true. Was brought up on Paddy Crerand show 2 years ago by a person who phoned in. Think he worked for British Rail. Anyway the Glazers won't pump money into stadium.

Last edited:

ExecutionerWasp001

They are on the ascendance though. Everything about them screams positive at the moment and their fanbase has swelled dramatically. Their owners seem to care more than ours.
This isn't in response to the recent CL win & failed PL race. They (sadly) like us are a Super Club. They could have expanded the stadium years ago & they still would have been able to sell out. Their fan base won't have grown a huge amount in the last few years.

On a positive note it probably means that the Saudi's aren't looking to buy them. If they were looking to take over they'd go down the new stadium route to try to usurp Abu Dhabi FC up the road.

pascell

It's catch 22 with United atm. The stadium needs upgrading but so does the team, if we're not in the CL and challenging for major trophies each season then the money won't be spent on the stadium, it'll be spent on the team until it's of the quality to challenge consistently. Once we're challenging consistently then the demand for more seats will be there and we'll expand. Whilst we're in the EL getting 50-60k crowds and faltering in the league, we won't expand the stadium.

Bestietom

It's catch 22 with United atm. The stadium needs upgrading but so does the team, if we're not in the CL and challenging for major trophies each season then the money won't be spent on the stadium, it'll be spent on the team until it's of the quality to challenge consistently. Once we're challenging consistently then the demand for more seats will be there and we'll expand. Whilst we're in the EL getting 50-60k crowds and faltering in the league, we won't expand the stadium.
I just can't see the Glazers putting monies into extending the stadium anyway. They will sell up and allow the new owners the privilege.

dove

Atletico Madrid knew they couldn't upgrade the stadium over the highway so they moved to the different stadium which was previously owned by the Madrid government and transferred ownership to Atletico Madrid at no cost, it cost them around £200 to £250m to renovate the stadium and extended to 68,000 seats. They hope it will be repaid fully within a decade.

If we want to upgrade our stadium capacity, we'd have to move away from Old Trafford and build a new stadium anywhere, it'd be more expensive.
I just think that railway is a very convenient excuse for the Glazers to not do anything with the stadium.

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
I wouldn't be panicking over this if I was a rival fan. The reality is that stadium revenue is shrinking as a portion of total income Vs TV and commercial revenue. It's not as vital as it used to be.

Wishful thinking here, but hopefully if other revenue streams keep growing, clubs freeze or even reduce ticket prices. The logic being that, if you bring back the working class fans, you get a much better atmosphere (no more prawn sandwiches) which in turn makes the club more marketable. As an 'international' fan let me tell you it makes a huge difference on TV when you can hear the crowd roaring. I think this is a problem for all clubs currently.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wouldn't be panicking over this if I was a rival fan. The reality is that stadium revenue is shrinking as a portion of total income Vs TV and commercial revenue. It's not as vital as it used to be.

Wishful thinking here, but hopefully if other revenue streams keep growing, clubs freeze or even reduce ticket prices. The logic being that, if you bring back the working class fans, you get a much better atmosphere (no more prawn sandwiches) which in turn makes the club more marketable. As an 'international' fan let me tell you it makes a huge difference on TV when you can hear the crowd roaring. I think this is a problem for all clubs currently.
As a prawn sandwich I take offense to this!

acnumber9

Their owners have the same ambition that’s ours have and that is to make money. They weren’t considered great owners until they hit lucky with the right appointment as manager. The same applies to Man Utd. They are also fortunate to not have an attention seeking clown as CEO.

ExecutionerWasp001

I just can't see the Glazers putting monies into extending the stadium anyway. They will sell up and allow the new owners the privilege.
I love OT but times are changing. We need to take a leaf out of Spurs book & build a state of the art new facility rather than a stadium extension. We should be looking at getting the NFL & other events held at the stadium. There's no value to the Glazers in doing this though so it won't be under their watch.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

VJ1762

I love OT but times are changing. We need to take a leaf out of Spurs book & build a state of the art new facility rather than a stadium extension. We should be looking at getting the NFL & other events held at the stadium. There's no value to the Glazers in doing this though so it won't be under their watch.
I don't know, man. OT was meant to play real football. Not that weird shaped thing they throw around in America.

redshaw

Will they be getting rid of the section near the pitch? As bad as it sounds, it looks shite with a load of empty space there.
No, they will be making it wrap around the whole side, so probably much worse in your view. The Stretford end addition only adds about a hundred disabled places

hubbuh

Ew ew ew.

On topic; our fellow northern brethren are having their day in the sun. We should be celebrating with them! Three cheers for the ‘pool!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No, they will be making it wrap around the whole side, so probably much worse in your view. The Stretford end addition only adds about a hundred disabled places

Oh. I don't think it's that bad to suggest that will look terrible there.