Liverpool - Premier League champions 19/20 Season

ayushreddevil9

looks like Lovren is off to Italy for €20m.

Leaves us a bit light centrally, but it is outweighed by having the unholy triumvirate of Mignolet, Moreno & Lovren all go in the same summer. Can't say I'll miss him in any shape or form.
Matip, Rio, Gomez and Fabinho(if needed) are good enough options.

montpelier

the unholy triumvirate of Mignolet, Moreno & Lovren
:lol: :lol:.

They were my favourites.

Lovren ==> 3 decent games ==> Moore/Baresi ==> stepovers ==> horrible mistake ==> Matip comes in.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
looks like Lovren is off to Italy for €20m.

Leaves us a bit light centrally, but it is outweighed by having the unholy triumvirate of Mignolet, Moreno & Lovren all go in the same summer. Can't say I'll miss him in any shape or form.
I think we'll probably sign a CB in January.

We're fecked if Van Dijk gets a long term injury.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Alisson out for a few weeks. There were rumors he'd be out for longer (up to six months) but Klopp's confirmed that's not the case. Might be back in four which would be ideal.

Still I think Adrian is fine as a back up.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Naby Keita went off injured during training today with what seemed like a re occurrence of a muscle injury.

He's becoming another Aquilani.

montpelier

Adrian has twisted an ankle charging off his line in a collision with one of your fans.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
We are looking to give a 35 year old his PL debut against Southampton this weekend. That's insane.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
We are looking to give a 35 year old his PL debut against Southampton this weekend. That's insane.
Even if it happens, and latest I heard was Adrian should be ok, you have to put it into context. We have 3 keepers injured to some extent. That rarely happens so it’s hardly surprising that the next choice is not an experienced prem keeper.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool have pulled the plug on the Lovren to Roma deal. Roma kept trying to change the terms according to a few journos and Liverpool became frustrated and have pulled out.
At least we still have cover at CB without having to resort to a young hopeful

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Liverpool have pulled the plug on the Lovren to Roma deal. Roma kept trying to change the terms according to a few journos and Liverpool became frustrated and have pulled out.
At least we still have cover at CB without having to resort to a young hopeful
Bloody cheapskate Italian clubs.

Red Keane

Alisson/Adrian
While Adrian is ok (and without a doubt better than Mingolet, Karius & Bogdan), I don't think he is good enough to provide the competition that Allison needs to be facing. Likewise considering your current goalkeeping siutation (which has resulted in the signing of Lonergan), there is another need for another keeper to be signed anyway, since Lonergan is not really to the sort of standard to even be a backup for a club like Liverpool, Kelleher needs to be loaned out to give him the game time he needs and lets face it Karius is unlikely to ever play for Liverpool again.

Trent/Gomez
Klopp needs to realise that Gomez is far better as a CB than as a RB (as his recent games in the latter position have shown), in fact I would even say that even Fabinho is a better option in that position. So there is a clear need to sign another RB (Someone like Semedo or R.Periera perhaps) since Fabinho is very much needed in midfield and Cylne is going to be out until the new year at least.

Van Dijk/Lovren

Matip/Hoever, VDB
As I like to keep saying, Lovren is clearly not good enough to play for Liverpool whatsoever, thus there is a clear need to sign another CB just for that alone. Likewise Matip is only good enough to be a backup and both Hoever & VDB need to be loaned out for the sake of their development. Simply because there is no real prospect of them starting ahead of VVD, Matip & Gomez (since they are clearly not the same level as even Matip) and thus they have no good reason to waste time on the bench...

Robertson/Milner
Last season showned that while he still a decent (and hard working) CM, it was clear to see that James Millner no longer had the ability to put in a decent shift at Full Back (as Zaha painfully exposed). Hence why Liverpool really should have gone all out for Tierney to address the lack of decent FB options (other than TAA and Robinson) that they currently have (Which currently consists of Fabinho somewhat and no one else), especially when he ended up going for £25 Million and its planly obvious that Liverpool (alongside ourselves & City of course) is a better prospect for a talented player such as himself than the Arsenal these days.

Regardless considering how important the full backs are under Klopps system; its clear to see that like City under Pep, for the side to progress there needs to be big investment in the Full Back Positions (alonside the CB one as well).

Fabinho/Henderson
Wijnaldum/Keita
Ox/Lallana
One of the biggest factors in why you guys lost the League was the lack of creativity in Midfield, which would have been addressed if Coutinho was actually replaced during the 1 & a half years since he left and in turn having Klopp adopting a 4-2-3-1 formation going forward. So while Fabinho, Henderson, Millner, Wijnaldum, Keita & Ox (Lallana not so much...) are more than enough quality/depth behind a AM, it is clear that 2 CAM's (Such as Havertz & Ziyech) need to enable such a formation being possible in the first place.

Salah/Shaqiri
Firmino/Brewster
Mane/Origi
Another big factor in how you guys lost the league (as you said yourself) was the lack of addtional attacking options beyond the usual 3 suspects, hence why Liverpool made another big mistake in not signing Pepe (which again would have been a better prospect for him than the Arsenal) & Werner (Who lets not forget only has a year left on his current deal). Because getting those players would have sure there would be enough quality/competition/depth for those front 3 forward positions.

Likewise it would have also allowed Brewster to go out on loan to get the senior-level gametime he has been so far been unable to get for various reasons.

Our depth isn’t too bad. It’s the drop off in quality that is the real issue.
Glad to see that you agree on this, because it is something that overshadowed by the CL win and the points total Liverpool got last season (which although very impressive, is still not enough these days to secure a PL title)

We can’t afford to pay big money for someone to warm the bench.
Your club is owned by a billionaire (who least tries to care more about your club than the Glazers do abour ours), have reached 2 CL Finals (and won 1 of them) in 2 seasons and got the most TV Revenue out of all the PL Clubs (Domestically) last season. Coupled with the fact Liverpool made a decent amount money from player sales and have recently sold Melwood as well, the club clearly can afford to make the squad investments that are needed.

Midfield is fine for quality and depth.
Agreed apart from the real need for more creative midfielders.

Defence is ok but could be better. Up top is where the real drop off happens.
I would say the siutation with the defence is the same with the attack, in other words a fair amount of excellent options, but could do with more...

Doubt many top teams signed squad depth this window.
Tottenham most certainly did, in the sense that they have signed players that will either make the Starting XI (and free up other players to become squad depth) or they are actual squad depth. Likewise one could argue that both United & Arsenal also followed this path to a small extent (even if it was nowhere near enough of course).

We signed a couple for the future although I do think Van Den Berg could get some game time as our CBs are quite injury prone.

We’re a few injuries to key players away from a potential crisis but, apart from City, which team isn’t?
That doesn't mean either of our clubs should do nothing to address the siutation though, especially when there are other clubs in Europe that are on the same position as City is on this matter.

Red Keane

It's a long shot, but could Wijnaldum play similar role as false 9 position?
No he can't, especially when he has a problem scoring goals away from home. Which is one of the reasons why Wijnaldum has done better in deeper roles under Klopp than he did so as a No.10 at Newcastle.

Liverpool must have an excellent medical team because their main players always seem fit. Van Dijk and Salah played all 38 PL games last season. Mane, Firmino, Robertson hardly missed any.
To be fair, Gomez missed quite a bit of the previous season, Chamberlin hardly played at all last season (with Lallana in the same position beforehand), Keita missed the last few games of last season and even TAA missed the odd game here and there.

So while it wasn't as bad it as was with us around the time we face both Liverpool & PSG, it was certainly enough for them to make addtional signings this time round.

The squad is looking decent for next season, although I'm disappointed we didn't bring back Coutinho. By all accounts Barca were desperate to get rid of him
The club should have gone out of their way to resign Coutinho (at the very least as a loan-to-buy) considering how they still failed to replace him in the 1 1/2 years since he left, a decision which ultimately cost them the CL in 2018 and the PL in 2019. Especially when even Coutinho by now has realised how much of a mistake (in hindslight, although I can understand why he made the decision to leave at the time) the move has ended up becoming.

and and I'm glad he didn't end up at Spurs or Arsenal. European transfer window is still open so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at PSG as part of a Neymar deal.
To be fair, I don't think Liverpool should be worried about any prospect of Coutinho ending up at Arsenal due to the defensive/lack of ambition issues they still have. Him (actually) ending up at Bayern Munich on the other hand is a much bigger problem for them.

I guess FSG are really taking FFP quite seriously. Coutinho + 2CL finals = VVD, Fabinho, Allisson (roughly).
A foolish decision to make when many of their rivals don't really give to much of a toss about it at best...

And since we made transfer surplus this Summer, I assume we can spend big in January/Summer 2020, which we might have to. Front 3 are all the same age and its a ticking time bomb, I would start mixing it up little with a major young attacker signed in each of the next 2 Summers.
Werner on a pre-contract & Pepe next season (once he realises he is going nowhere at a club that employ both Mustafi & Luiz at CB) maybe?

McGrathsipan

If Southampton believe and really go for it they might get something.

Liverpool had a leg sapping midweek.

montpelier

the Saints players will be wanting to prove that a couple of them should have been signed

esmufc07

Won the Grand National Sweepstake once
Scout
I've not seen their game today but by all accounts their defence has been poor again. Why the sudden decline from last season?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I've not seen their game today but by all accounts their defence has been poor again. Why the sudden decline from last season?
They were never going to keep it up, but from what I've seen, Klopp has persisted with this stupid high line and they've been exposed regularly by the long ball.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Ridiculous that Adrian made that nervy but good win considering our midweek travel.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I literally don't know how they keeping getting away with it....feck me
Its crazy. The more world class manager and players we sign, the more and more luckier we get. Totally baffling. You can see why Woodward can't work out it. It's baffling all of us quite frankly.

VeevaVee

despite the protests, wears Ugg boots
Scout
Liverpool fan on my fb is adamant Alisson is an incredible keeper, and the reason he doesn't have any decent saves to show us is because his positioning is so incredibly good that he doesn't need to :lol:

Someone here said that once too.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully Alisson is back by Chelsea away, and hopefully we don’t drop too many points before then, no margin for error really. Mind you Adrian is much better than Mignolet despite the howler.

Random Task

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Liverpool fan on my fb is adamant Alisson is an incredible keeper, and the reason he doesn't have any decent saves to show us is because his positioning is so incredibly good that he doesn't need to :lol:

Someone here said that once too.
That's brilliant :lol: