Liverpool - Premier League champions 19/20 Season

HackeyC

On their best day City beat Liverpool imo, but for years United made a habit of beating the bottom 16 even their worst day. That is exactly what Liverpool are doing.

Ban

Of course it doesn't make them worse. However, Ferguson's teams on a couple of occasions (iirc) have only twice hit the 90 points mark in winning the league (91 in 2000 & 90 in 2009). Chelsea won the title in 2005 with 95 points & in 2006 with 91 points. United didn't even mount a serious challenge in either season let alone 'overcome' Chelsea. It was only when standards dropped to minus 90 points did United start competing again. Which consolidates the point I was making.
So after I said comparing points is a bit silly haul you make a point about points again and conclude we were back on top when being under 90 points again. All the while saying united team weren't worse. Maybe I completely missed your point. In 2 seasons in which Chelsea was champion United was in rebuilding and didn't have a team capable of competing with Chelsea. We were back though in 2007 and won 3 in a row.

Random Task

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Out of interest who do we consider the ‘usual suspects’ nowadays @Random Task ?

It‘s hard to put anyone other than City in that bracket when it comes to challenging for the league. United haven’t challenged since they last won it. Arsenal hasn’t looked like title challengers for ages and Spurs are never there when May rolls up. Before last season we’d been miles off as well. You could make an argument for Chelsea but they’ve yoyo’d.

City are the only consistent challengers since SAF retired. This subject maybe deserves its thread.
United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, and Arsenal. The most historically competitive and financially secure clubs in the country, aka known as the top 6.

Random Task

I believe I said that all clubs are permanently in transition. It's just that some people like to use that as an excuse when things don't go to plan over a prolonged period of time - PLEASE BE PATIENT NORMAL SERVICE WILL BE RESUMED ASAP - you know that sort of thing. Regarding the wealth aspect. Well that's OK for those clubs who have a dominant stranglehold in their respective leagues (Real Madrid, Barca, PSG, Juventus, etc), but here in the PL - as your own club have shown to dramatic effect - money alone doesn't guarantee you success. So seeing as Manchester United are one of the richest clubs on the planet who can pretty much afford anyone, how would a billionaire owner make so much difference ? Besides, what'll happen if Liverpool get bought by multi-billionaire owners such as a consortium backed by the Chinese government ? Imagine what Jurgen Klopp could do then. So what makes you so confident that United will come good before too long ? What signs are there to back this up other than your optimism ? Your first priorities should be to get rid of your owners, & build from there. Simply throwing money at your problems ain't gonna cut it, but you probably know that now anyway

I also don't believe I said that this current Liverpool is among the 'greats of the game'. I simply said that we're a great side. That's not based on 'half a season' as you put it, more on the fact that we've only lost one league game in 60 matches, are the current champions of Europe, & are 14 points clear at the top of the PL. But listen, I understand as a United fan you're very sensitive & protective of the great United sides of the Ferguson era. I'm not here to try & play down their achievements. I'm here to point out that whilst the usual suspects might be in decline, the great Manchester United sides of the past never had to try & overcome a side like Manchester City under Pep Guardiola. You won a league & CL double in 2008, with, what many say, was Ferguson's best ever team. We won the CL last year & finished runners-up in the league with 10 points more than United did in 2008. So it's all about perspective really. Oh yeah, an open mind helps too.
But that's just it, money does guarantee you success. Eventually, by or by crook, continuous heavy investment in the transfer market will pay dividends on the pitch. This statement has been true in football for several decades now. Serial transfer market spenders City, Chelsea, PSG, Real, Barca, and many other clubs across Europe have proven the approach to be by far the most effective. There is no denying that. After making countless mistakes both in the transfer market and through managerial appointments after SAF retired, United are doing their utmost to disprove that theory, however. Still, we'll get it right eventually. Throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stick.

MrVolley

What I'm seriously worried about is that we end
Yep. Definitely a Liverpool fan in disguise.
Pal. I've been United since the late 70s
United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, and Arsenal. The most historically competitive and financially secure clubs in the country, aka known as the top 6.
What's with this Top 6 crap? It used to be top 4. Now we're out of it people are calling Top 6. Hell... Why not call it a Top 20 and maybe rename it "the Premier league" :lol:

As far back as I can remember it was a Top 2 that used to battle it out.

First is first. Second is nowhere.:(

ExecutionerWasp001

The PL only really became competitive when Chelsea came good via Roman's billions. Prior to that the only credible challengers United had were Arsenal. Before Wenger took over you pretty much had a free run for the first 5 or 6 years. For our part we were like the Chelsea side of now, showed promise, but not enough to be regular title challengers.
What are you talking about free run. We had big spending Blackburn & Newcastle come at us in the early PL. We then had Leeds, Arsenal & Chelsea. The league was an absolute dogfight for a number of years. It's only the last few years where the quality of the league as a whole has drastically dropped.

Random Task

What I'm seriously worried about is that we end

Pal. I've been United since the late 70s

What's with this Top 6 crap? It used to be top 4. Now we're out of it people are calling Top 6. Hell... Why not call it a Top 20 and maybe rename it "the Premier league" :lol:

As far back as I can remember it was a Top 2 that used to battle it out.

First is first. Second is nowhere.:(
Is there a point to your post because I'm struggling to find one?

*edit*

Just realized you're that cowardly scouser who is too afraid to reveal his true allegiance.

Pathetic.

MrVolley

Is there a point to your post because I'm struggling to find one?

*edit*

Just realized you're that cowardly scouser who is too afraid to reveal his true allegiance.

Pathetic.
You and your mate "Ban" post like you're the same person or spawned from RAWK:nono:

You guys don't understand that there are fans like us that are not biased to the extreme. Yes we support United but at the same time we also have a sporting outlook and recognise things for what they are.

The Premier league is more competitive now than ever. This is proven by the mere mention of a Top 6 AND that the points totals of Premier league winners is higher than ever.

IF, as you guys claim, the Premier league quality is now crap, then how did England manage 4/4 European finalists in May? How did England manage 2 CL finalists?

I know your answer : VAR, luck, envelopes under the table:lol:

Instead of focusing your anger on other teams and childish reasoning, how about looking inwards at our own club and discussing how we fix what's wrong and get back to the top.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
They all are, just by being here. They all ought to leave and rediscover their dignity and self respect.

Is what I'm thinking this season, anyway.
Dignity is a small price I’m willing to pay. ;)

Ban

You and your mate "Ban" post like you're the same person or spawned from RAWK:nono:

You guys don't understand that there are fans like us that are not biased to the extreme. Yes we support United but at the same time we also have a sporting outlook and recognise things for what they are.

The Premier league is more competitive now than ever. This is proven by the mere mention of a Top 6 AND that the points totals of Premier league winners is higher than ever.

IF, as you guys claim, the Premier league quality is now crap, then how did England manage 4/4 European finalists in May? How did England manage 2 CL finalists?

I know your answer : VAR, luck, envelopes under the table:lol:

Instead of focusing your anger on other teams and childish reasoning, how about looking inwards at our own club and discussing how we fix what's wrong and get back to the top.
Yes. We sound like from RAWK. :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
They all are, just by being here. They all ought to leave and rediscover their dignity and self respect.

I'd just miss the NFL thread and the general at this point tbh. It used to be much more fun swimming against the tide and arguing from a minority POV, but now we even have Utd fans saying we're the best team and deserve to win the title. No fun discussion to be had out of that :(

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
In fairness you have had a lot of arse of your pants late wins, mostly in games you deserved to win anyway but its hard to argue you haven't stumbled over the line in a lot of those despite being the better team.
This is a strange point to include in the 'lucky' narrative. Show me a winning run of similar length that doesn't include this. United spent a decade winning late - as did Liverpool in the 80s. Two years ago City won late against Southampton and Bournemouth (those two I can remember, could be more). I don't remember that being used as a stick to beat City with, rather it was evidence of their temerity and will to win.

Late goals aren't lucky.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
You have a very selective memory. I've listed below all of our 20 victories this season. The first lot are the one's where we've played very well & have been fully deserving of the 3 points. The 2nd lot are the games we could have done better even though we won. Games where we've been comfortable but let the opposition back into it, not put the game to bed by missing good chances etc.

Norwich - H - 4-1
Arsenal - H - 3-1
Burnley - A - 3-0
Newcastle - H - 3-1
Leicester - H - 2-1
Spurs - H - 2-1
Man City - H - 3-1
Everton - H - 5-2
Bournemouth - A - 3-0
Leicester - A - 4-0
Sheff Utd - H - 2-0

Games where we could have done better.

Southampton - A - 2-1
Chelsea - A - 2-1
Sheff Utd - A - 1-0
A Villa - A - 2-1
C Palace - A - 2-1
Brighton - H - 2-1
Watford - H - 2-0
Wolves - H - 1-0
Spurs - A - 1-0

Our GD may only be 36, but it echoes the very expensively assembled Chelsea side of 2005/06. To whom many class as one of the Premier League's greatest ever sides.
Apparently if you don't dominate each game like Brazil 1970 then you're doing it wrong. I'm struggling to keep up now with why Liverpool shouldn't receive credit.

Stocar

This is a strange point to include in the 'lucky' narrative. Show me a winning run of similar length that doesn't include this. United spent a decade winning late - as did Liverpool in the 80s. Two years ago City won late against Southampton and Bournemouth (those two I can remember, could be more). I don't remember that being used as a stick to beat City with, rather it was evidence of their temerity and will to win.

Late goals aren't lucky.
City didn't have near as many late wins, not to mention the ridiculous gifts from opposition. They were regularly outplaying and outscoring teams, while Liverpool are usually grinding out wins. There's the difference. Liverpool's current run resembles Juventus of recent years in Serie A. Impressive on paper, and certainly a top team, but not really that brilliant and special. It's a crazy run of results by a strong, but essentially generic and industrial team, more than the emergence of a dominant footballing force.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There's a a good article in the athletic today about Klopp's coaching versus that of Mourinho. It has to be said, we are miles behind.

veteranMortal

Supports
Liverpool
On their best day City beat Liverpool imo, but for years United made a habit of beating the bottom 16 even their worst day. That is exactly what Liverpool are doing.
I would disagree. City playing at their best against Liverpool playing at their best is not nearly as clear cut as that. I would probably edge it for Liverpool, based on performances from the last two or three seasons, but I'm a Liverpool supporter, so I'm obviously not a neutral on this.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Apparently if you don't dominate each game like Brazil 1970 then you're doing it wrong. I'm struggling to keep up now with why Liverpool shouldn't receive credit.
In 20 years time this could possibly be a conversation between a young lad & his Mancunian dad (City or United. Take your pick)

Son : "Dad, me & a few mates were talking in school today about that great Liverpool side managed by Jurgen Klopp"

Dad : "What do you mean 'great' ?. They were the luckiest, most corrupt son's of bitches that ever walked the face of the earth"

Son : "But they looked really good on the youtube video's, & they won 5 league titles plus 3 Champions Leagues"

Dad : " I bet there's nothing on youtube about the scouse footballing illuminati is there ?"

Son : "Don't think so Dad. What is that exactly ?"

Dad : "Thought as much. It was a vermin infiltration of the main media by ex Liverpool players with a view to slowly taking control of not just the media, but the F.A, plus referees & VAR too"

Son : "Wow, that's incredible"

Dad : "Yeah, isn't it just. You'll obviously not read, or see, anything in the press about it of course, because they now control everything. But those of us in the know really knew what was going on behind the scenes"

Son : "Didn't you ever think of getting in touch with that David Icke fellah ? I heard he was really into that type of stuff"

Dad : "We did, but he just laughed & called us a bunch of nutters"

Son : "But with all the money we had, couldn't we have just blown Klopp's sides out of the water ?"

Dad : "Err.....Haven't you got any homework to do lad ?"

Son : "Not homework as such, more of a punishment for talking in class with my mates about that grea...sorry, lucky, Liverpool team. Our teacher has given me a hundred lines to write out"

Dad : "What do you have to write ?"

Son : "I must never, ever, ever, discuss the scouse filth in class again"

Dad : "I like your teacher. Sounds like a clever, well-balanced bloke"

redman5

But that's just it, money does guarantee you success. Eventually, by or by crook, continuous heavy investment in the transfer market will pay dividends on the pitch. This statement has been true in football for several decades now. Serial transfer market spenders City, Chelsea, PSG, Real, Barca, and many other clubs across Europe have proven the approach to be by far the most effective. There is no denying that. After making countless mistakes both in the transfer market and through managerial appointments after SAF retired, United are doing their utmost to disprove that theory, however. Still, we'll get it right eventually. Throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stick.
But that's the problem you're faced with. There's quite a few mega-rich clubs in Europe now, so having loads of money isn't the massive advantage it once was. It's OK in those leagues where they're dominated by just one or two teams, but the PL is a different kettle of fish because clubs have big money coming in anyway from tv rights. Then you're competing with 2 very rich clubs in Chelsea & City, plus a resurgent Liverpool who are getting it right, on, & off, the pitch. You pissed the league by 11 points nearly 7 years ago, yet since then you've not put in one credible title challenge. Despite finishing quite some way off you 7 years ago, we're now embarking on our 3rd shot at winning the league in that same time period. That's because we have a great manager in charge, a solid structure, & an identity. Plus decent funds available to help us progress. Other than the funds bit can you honestly say that Manchester United FC tick all the boxes of the other 3 ?

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
The reality is that Klopp has gotten his transfers in and out pretty much spot on. That is the basis for being a successful manager. After all the players are the managers tools for getting the job done.
Klopp is also a manager players want to play for. He comes across as fun and personable. But as Sakho and Karius found out he doesn’t suffer fools gladly.
His spells at Mainz and Dortmund shows someone who doesn't flit from club to club. He builds.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
City didn't have near as many late wins, not to mention the ridiculous gifts from opposition. They were regularly outplaying and outscoring teams, while Liverpool are usually grinding out wins. There's the difference. Liverpool's current run resembles Juventus of recent years in Serie A. Impressive on paper, and certainly a top team, but not really that brilliant and special. It's a crazy run of results by a strong, but essentially generic and industrial team, more than the emergence of a dominant footballing force.
Alisson, Salah, Mane, Firmino, TAA, VVD, Wijnaldum - lads that are essentially generic and industrial and also appear on the Balon D'Or list.

Try harder.

I feel that City and Liverpool are fairly evenly matched, with the latter maybe edging it slightly due to the fullbacks which are difficult to stop even when the bus is parked. It's a credit to Klopp and the recruitment at Liverpool that it's even close, I didn't think anyone would realistically be able to compete with the competency of Guardiola and City's spending power.

I don't anyone could really argue that Liverpool don't deserve to be top of the league, but the fact they're 14-17 points clear and have somehow only dropped points to us is a clear testament to how lucky they have been. Nowhere is this more clear than looking at how wasteful teams have been against them. You can claim to make your own luck all you want but opposition players inexplicably missing 5-yard sitters is not part of Klopp's master plan.

To compound this, it feels like City have been pretty unlucky this season too. Given that they're the only realistic competitor to Pool that seals my completely neutral and totally unbiased view that this Liverpool side is the luckiest side to ever grace the league :wenger:.

In terms of trying to back this up with anything statistical, then I know that 'Expected Goals' is largely dismissed on these forums but it was bang on when the league table flattered United and it suggests that it's flattering the shit out of Liverpool right now.

The Clinch

Supports
Liverpool
I feel that City and Liverpool are fairly evenly matched, with the latter maybe edging it slightly due to the fullbacks which are difficult to stop even when the bus is parked. It's a credit to Klopp and the recruitment at Liverpool that it's even close, I didn't think anyone would realistically be able to compete with the competency of Guardiola and City's spending power.

I don't anyone could really argue that Liverpool don't deserve to be top of the league, but the fact they're 14-17 points clear and have somehow only dropped points to us is a clear testament to how lucky they have been. Nowhere is this more clear than looking at how wasteful teams have been against them. You can claim to make your own luck all you want but opposition players inexplicably missing 5-yard sitters is not part of Klopp's master plan.

To compound this, it feels like City have been pretty unlucky this season too. Given that they're the only realistic competitor to Pool that seals my completely neutral and totally unbiased view that this Liverpool side is the luckiest side to ever grace the league :wenger:.

In terms of trying to back this up with anything statistical, then I know that 'Expected Goals' is largely dismissed on these forums but it was bang on when the league table flattered United and it suggests that it's flattering the shit out of Liverpool right now.

Liverpools Xg for and against are nothing crazy. Good teams with skillful attacking and defensive players will ultimately outperform Xg. The fact that liverpool are outperforming Xg for and against by about 20% is nothing out of the norm or unsustainable.

Xg shows the average expectation from a given position. Skill is also relevant to the outcomes and liverpool have plenty of skill at both ends of the pitch.

Conor

In 20 years time this could possibly be a conversation between a young lad & his Mancunian dad (City or United. Take your pick)

Son : "Dad, me & a few mates were talking in school today about that great Liverpool side managed by Jurgen Klopp"

Dad : "What do you mean 'great' ?. They were the luckiest, most corrupt son's of bitches that ever walked the face of the earth"

Son : "But they looked really good on the youtube video's, & they won 5 league titles plus 3 Champions Leagues"

Dad : " I bet there's nothing on youtube about the scouse footballing illuminati is there ?"

Son : "Don't think so Dad. What is that exactly ?"

Dad : "Thought as much. It was a vermin infiltration of the main media by ex Liverpool players with a view to slowly taking control of not just the media, but the F.A, plus referees & VAR too"

Son : "Wow, that's incredible"

Dad : "Yeah, isn't it just. You'll obviously not read, or see, anything in the press about it of course, because they now control everything. But those of us in the know really knew what was going on behind the scenes"

Son : "Didn't you ever think of getting in touch with that David Icke fellah ? I heard he was really into that type of stuff"

Dad : "We did, but he just laughed & called us a bunch of nutters"

Son : "But with all the money we had, couldn't we have just blown Klopp's sides out of the water ?"

Dad : "Err.....Haven't you got any homework to do lad ?"

Son : "Not homework as such, more of a punishment for talking in class with my mates about that grea...sorry, lucky, Liverpool team. Our teacher has given me a hundred lines to write out"

Dad : "What do you have to write ?"

Son : "I must never, ever, ever, discuss the scouse filth in class again"

Dad : "I like your teacher. Sounds like a clever, well-balanced bloke"
Is making up fake conversations every Liverpool fan's favourite pastime?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
PickledRed: Hey Conor, do you like fake conversations about Liverpool on the Internet?

Conor: NO! They're the pastime of loser LiVARpool fans!

PickledRed: Ah, ok fair enough.

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool

So Liverpool picking up the best part of 200 points over the last 2 seasons and having 1 league title (hopefully) to show for it is now considered lucky, get real. You could easily say that getting to 97 points and not winning it has to be the most unlucky league campaign ever.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool

You can claim to make your own luck all you want but opposition players inexplicably missing 5-yard sitters well after Liverpool spurned numerous equally easy chances to put the match to bed by the end of the first hour is not part of Klopp's master plan.

montpelier

redman5

If you read my post again you'll see that I said 'in 20 years time this could be possibly be a conversation'. So you'll have to come back in 20 years time to say whether or not it was a fake conversation. By then I'll either be dead or dribbling in my soup in some care home. Either way I won't give a toss :p

redman5

A point I raised in this prophetic piece a few years ago... https://www.redcafe.net/threads/united-1990s-liverpool-re-enacted.428685/
Seems hard to believe that thread was started nearly 3 years ago. Where does the time go ? As @montpelier says there are some good posts in there, & quite a few cringy ones too. One on the very first page claiming that United would never be like Liverpool of the 90's because they had a world class manager in Mourinho.

The history of our 2 clubs actually fascinates me. There's quite a spooky symmetry between the 2 of us. I might start a thread on it one day, once I've done a bit more research.

redman5

I suppose its too late for a Thread Delete and Banhammering?

There are some cracking posts on there.

I like the imaginary convos a lot but would politely point out that you haven't won 5 of them quite just yet.

My media proof concrete bunker will hopefully be finished by then.
I was going to put 10 down, but then I remembered I wasn't posting on RAWK.

ariveded

The reality is that Klopp has gotten his transfers in and out pretty much spot on. That is the basis for being a successful manager. After all the players are the managers tools for getting the job done.
Actually he improves the players, and that's the main thing. He never signed any outstanding players with the possible exemption of Alisson. Likes of Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gini, VVD, Fabinho - had questionable ability, and many doubted if they could make it at a top level club challenging for trophies.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Actually he improves the players, and that's the main thing. He never signed any outstanding players with the possible exemption of Alisson. Likes of Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gini, VVD, Fabinho - had questionable ability, and many doubted if they could make it at a top level club challenging for trophies.
That some people questioned the ability of some of those says more about them than the players.

Mane did this in his first game with us.

And there were a lot of people saying VVD was the best defender in the league at Southampton. They didn't pull the 75m out of their arse.

Firmino had come second to Kevin de Bruyne in player of the year in Germany before transferring.

Every man and his dog knew Fabinho was a great midfield talent.

The only real question marks about those players is that they weren't already at a top club when we signed them.

Random Task

But that's the problem you're faced with. There's quite a few mega-rich clubs in Europe now, so having loads of money isn't the massive advantage it once was. It's OK in those leagues where they're dominated by just one or two teams, but the PL is a different kettle of fish because clubs have big money coming in anyway from tv rights. Then you're competing with 2 very rich clubs in Chelsea & City, plus a resurgent Liverpool who are getting it right, on, & off, the pitch. You pissed the league by 11 points nearly 7 years ago, yet since then you've not put in one credible title challenge. Despite finishing quite some way off you 7 years ago, we're now embarking on our 3rd shot at winning the league in that same period. That's because we have a great manager in charge, a solid structure, & an identity. Plus decent funds available to help us progress. Other than the funds bit can you honestly say that Manchester United FC tick all the boxes of the other 3 ?
I have already answered your questions above, in detail, as to why United will inevitably rise to their previous position. Why do you need it explained again?

Imagine creating an illusionary conversation in an attempt to convince others of your team's greatness. You can practically taste the insecurity among you Liverpool fans.

Random Task

I'm not in favor of the whole 'ban the Liverpool fans the moment they win the league' business as it seems a little harsh. Many of them are decent posters who appreciate friendly banter and post without malice and hidden agendas attached. I hope they are spared at least.

redman5

I have already answered your questions above, in detail, as to why United will inevitably rise to their previous position. Why do you need it explained again?

Imagine creating an illusionary conversation in an attempt to convince others of your team's greatness. You can practically taste the insecurity among you Liverpool fans.
& I've replied as to the reasons why you shouldn't be so confident to your 'inevitable rise'. Unless of course you know of a secret lab deep in the bowels of Old Trafford where they're working on cloning a 50 year old Alex Ferguson. Plus you know full well the illusionary conversation was a piss-take aimed at all the paranoid conspiracy theorists on here. With that in mind, it's hilariously Ironic though that you should bring 'insecurity' into it.