Liverpool - Premier League champions 19/20 Season*

montpelier

Merson though. He thinks it would be wrong. Like snooker, if you're 25pts ahead and there are 27pts left on the table, you haven't won the frame have you?

He also wants to know why it was allowed for some teams to have played 29 games and others 28 before they stopped. He reckons this makes a difference.

But anyway, ignoring the 2nd thing and ignoring that it's Merson I think that's pretty conclusive.

Berbasbullet

I’ve yet see anyone answer this. And do Leeds get to win their league too? Or are we only deciding Liverpool’s fate?

I’d find it funny if they were awarded the league whilst everything else remained the same.
no parade, no celebration. Just move onto next season.
Yep, what about the other leagues too?

I see only two solutions, the league continues at some point, or it’s null and void.

Judas

Open to offers
If for some bizarre reason they were gifted the title, they'd never live it down, they'd rightfully be mocked for claiming their first title after 30 years is one they've not actually won. It would be pathetic frankly.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

I see only two solutions, the league continues at some point, or it’s null and void.
These are the only two options. Anything else would be stupid.
You can't end the season as it is as there's so many variables. Yes, Liverpool will almost certainly win the league but who goes down, who goes up, who gets European football etc is all up for debate. Then you have the lower leagues where employees rely on clubs not being relegated to stay in a job and pay their mortgage. It would become farcical. Either end the season and start again in August with everything how it was at the start of this one or finish this season. No other way around it.
Selfishly, I want the season completed as I want the title but I can understand the reasons for cancelling it and if that happens, it happens. I'll be gutted obviously but outside the Premier League, people's lives are going to be fecked up if there isn't some rational decision made.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Merson though. He thinks it would be wrong. Like snooker, if you're 25pts ahead and there are 27pts left on the table, you haven't won the frame have you?

He also wants to know why it was allowed for some teams to have played 29 games and others 28 before they stopped. He reckons this makes a difference.

But anyway, ignoring the 2nd thing and ignoring that it's Merson I think that's pretty conclusive.
Snooker's a terrible example though. If you're far behind in snooker it's really bad form not to concede that you've lost. If this was snooker, City would hold their hands up and say Liverpool have won.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
If you're using Merson.... hahaha.

Anyway, by his logic can we be given the title when we play one more shot after 4 April and pot the last red? The frame is still active, requiring snookers, but will you concede it to us if the game is abandoned straight after that shot?

I’ve yet see anyone answer this. And do Leeds get to win their league too? Or are we only deciding Liverpool’s fate?

I’d find it funny if they were awarded the league whilst everything else remained the same.
no parade, no celebration. Just move onto next season.
they can do a group celebration over Skype. What a hollow victory that would be - it it’s not going to happen

Agreed.

we may finish the season, however unlikely that it - but there’s no way any team is getting crowned champions when the league is not complete.

Renegade

Snooker's a terrible example though. If you're far behind in snooker it's really bad form not to concede that you've lost. If this was snooker, City would hold their hands up and say Liverpool have won.
Snooker is an awful example. The league has 20 teams with 4 major consequences. Champions,top 4,Europa and relegation. Liverpool and the title are no more important than any other team and their quest.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
The season will just be finished once it's safe to do so, that's by far and away the most likely outcome. Anyone else hoping for a "null and void" scenario is just wishful thinking.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The season will just be finished once it's safe to do so, that's by far and away the most likely outcome. Anyone else hoping for a "null and void" scenario is just wishful thinking.
How is finishing the season before the end of June the most likely outcome?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Who said anything about the end of June?
The official Uefa statement confirmed all European leagues are committed to finish before end of June. Which basically won't happen. Or at least isn't likely..

RobinLFC

The official Uefa statement confirmed all European leagues are committed to finish before end of June. Which basically won't happen. Or at least isn't likely..
Didn't know that, apologies. Still, I'm quite sure they're gonna find a way to make it work (and I think the general tone on here would be the same if it was Utd instead of Liverpool on top right now tbh).

Wouldn't be that fussed either if we don't get the title in the end. It would definitely suck but football is really just an afterthought these days (to the point I was happy that the Euros were postponed).

Redcy

These are the only two options. Anything else would be stupid.
You can't end the season as it is as there's so many variables. Yes, Liverpool will almost certainly win the league but who goes down, who goes up, who gets European football etc is all up for debate. Then you have the lower leagues where employees rely on clubs not being relegated to stay in a job and pay their mortgage. It would become farcical. Either end the season and start again in August with everything how it was at the start of this one or finish this season. No other way around it.
Selfishly, I want the season completed as I want the title but I can understand the reasons for cancelling it and if that happens, it happens. I'll be gutted obviously but outside the Premier League, people's lives are going to be fecked up if there isn't some rational decision made.
This, so much this. Thorough local associations to other sports I happen to know a coach and his wife and if the season is finished "as is", he is out of a job and we have talked about it. This is a case where it would easily be the case that the team can still stay up if games were played out. If everything stays as is then nothing happens and all stays the same. Now I would want the season to finish, but it looks like the only way to do that is to cancel next season, or cut it so short it fecks everything up, most championship teams could not survive on "half a season", or whatever nonsense people are suggesting.

Pexbo

Online influencer who has never watched Star Wars
It really is not. We are looking at a 3 month containment period. That takes us nearly into July. You've then got people out of contracts, people looking to transfer (we're talking about an entire league not just LFC), no match fitness, loads of foreign nationals are going to be going back home for a period when they can and some will inevitably be stuck due to travel restrictions. 8/9 matches can be done reasonably in 4/5 weeks which will take it into Augusr when the transfer window is closing and the new season is starting and clubs don't know what division they are planning to play in.

That's only worth the trouble if they are planning on starting the league again next season which is unlikely at this point. Teams are not going to agree to start or play a season BCD, there is no way they can afford to. There's just not the motivation for enough clubs to worry about this season now, it's literally just you and a couple other teams.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Didn't know that, apologies. Still, I'm quite sure they're gonna find a way to make it work (and I think the general tone on here would be the same if it was Utd instead of Liverpool on top right now tbh).

Wouldn't be that fussed either if we don't get the title in the end. It would definitely suck but football is really just an afterthought these days (to the point I was happy that the Euros were postponed).
My guess is they want to make it publically known they have a priority to continue, because they need to keep face with the season ticket holders, the TV channels, sponsors etc.

But internally they are likely resigned to a far likelier outcome of null and void. They can't confirm that now of course as its an "ever changing situation" if you will. But it's obvious the covid isolation period won't disappear in time to squeeze an end before June. Remember there is CL and Europa to complete too which could be done quicker.

RobinLFC

It really is not. We are looking at a 3 month containment period. That takes us nearly into July. You've then got people out of contracts, people looking to transfer (we're talking about an entire league not just LFC), no match fitness, loads of foreign nationals are going to be going back home for a period when they can and some will inevitably be stuck due to travel restrictions. 8/9 matches can be done reasonably in 4/5 weeks which will take it into Augusr when the transfer window is closing and the new season is starting and clubs don't know what division they are planning to play in.

That's only worth the trouble if they are planning on starting the league again next season which is unlikely at this point. Teams are not going to agree to start or play a season BCD, there is no way they can afford to. There's just not the motivation for enough clubs to worry about this season now, it's literally just you and a couple other teams.
Bolded is why I think this season will be finished. Either it gets done in time (don't know where you get the 3 month containment period from?) before a 'summer break' and the start of next season, or next season doesn't start in time and they have plenty of time to finish it. It's exceptional circumstances and I'm sure they will find a solution which fits most parties. Can't imagine a lot of teams in the hunt of staying up / EL / CL places being happy with just ending it like this.

Pexbo

Bolded is why I think this season will be finished. Either it gets done in time (don't know where you get the 3 month containment period from?) before a 'summer break' and the start of next season, or next season doesn't start in time and they have plenty of time to finish it. It's exceptional circumstances and I'm sure they will find a solution which fits most parties. Can't imagine a lot of teams in the hunt of staying up / EL / CL places being happy with just ending it like this.
Social isolation has been recommended for a minimum of 12 weeks for those most vulnerable. There is no way those people are stuck in isolation while the football league kicks off again and every team in the league starts travelling round the country again to kick a football around.

I still think the most likely thing to happen WRT European football is that all teams that have qualified are through to the group stages and an additional round of preliminary qualifiers is added with all teams in contention allowed to begin from this round, whenever European football kicks off again (likely next summer).

RobinLFC

I still think the most likely thing to happen WRT European football is that all teams that have qualified are through to the group stages and an additional round of preliminary qualifiers is added with all teams in contention allowed to begin from this round, whenever European football kicks off again (likely next summer).
That's incredibly arbitrary and will lead to legal cases, no doubt - e.g. team 1 point out of European places with a much easier schedule.

Pexbo

That's incredibly arbitrary and will lead to legal cases, no doubt - e.g. team 1 point out of European places with a much easier schedule.
Quite the opposite. It would extend the format of the Champions League for one season so that all teams that had a chance to qualify, still have a chance to qualify. European Cup Seeding applied and essentially all teams get a chance to enter at an early stage with later preliminary stage runner ups filling up the Europa League spots.

It would solve the null and void league issue (if the EPL finish and no other league does, why should the EPL top 4 get their spots?) and it would be far more exciting than pre-season friendlies which are always terrible in an international competition year anyway. You'd be looking at 2/4 matches extra per team and it would be a huge cash cow for UEFA and a good boost for all the smaller clubs too.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Nothing gets past him? He's a genius, even though he once told my mate to "xxxx off'

horsechoker

Sailor vee, this is a right off.
Finishing the league would be the logical thing to do, however it's becoming less practicable by the day.

The next step would be to have a 22 team Premier League and thus 26 team football leagues.

European qualification would still need to be decided though and that would be difficult to do fairly.

Also any talk of being 2019/20 champions should result in fines for that club.

RedDevil@84

Liverpool should be the PL winners this season and thats the only sure thing about the 2019/2020 football season TBH, at least the only thing of relevance for world football. Makes me cringe a bit seeing post after post of Utd fans talking bollocks, seriously. Liverpool swept the floor with the league this season and thats just just it.
The deserving winners logic.
The problem is that all leagues need to do the same and just blindly award the trophy to the team that is placed first. And the other problem is that the 3 teams at bottom must be relegated in the same way. The existing top 4 sent to CL

The only solution is to just complete the league (behind closed doors or whatever) or else void the season, not because United fans want it to, but that's a logical thing to do.

Andycoleno9

It is really annoying how media and pundits just say "Give them a title" and that is it. Without any explanation. How? What do to with other clubs? Is it ok legally? Is it fair? Is it by the rules?
Nevermind all that, league is all about Liverpool. They MUST get a title. feck rules, logic, common sense, other clubs.....it is all about Liverpool.

League must be finished or canceled. There is no middle solution here.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I can’t see us getting the title without the league being finished. It would be wrong even if we would have won it anyway. The more pressing issue is relegation/promotion and European spots. There’s so much money at stake that I can’t imagine they won’t find a way to settle the standings at some point - one way or another.

TheReligion

Abusive
I can’t see us getting the title without the league being finished. It would be wrong even if we would have won it anyway. The more pressing issue is relegation/promotion and European spots. There’s so much money at stake that I can’t imagine they won’t find a way to settle the standings at some point - one way or another.
UEFA have already said they won't recognise you as champions unless the season is completed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Imagine storming the league with a near perfect record only to be stopped 2 wins (max) from the finish!

And knowing that even if jt gets going again (no given at all), that people will just refer to it as the Var/virus season.

If it wasn't Liverpool, you'd feel pretty sorry for them!

90 + 5min

Few weeks have gone and I still say. Give Liverpool the title (we could just say they were given, not won ;) ) and start working how to do with regulations, promotions and places for Europe. We can’t have this going beyond July. First because of all the contracts. Second, we would ruin the league next year by letting this go until September/ October or even November. If football will even be played by then. Noone knows.

Jam

Very sensible take. The entire football pyramid is at stake.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
UEFA have already said they won't recognise you as champions unless the season is completed.
Didn’t know that. Anyway, as I said, I think they’ll find a way to settle it all somewhere down the line.

montpelier

The FA have decided that the lower leagues seasons are done - no promotions, no relegation.

That's the non league leagues, to be clear.

Judas

Open to offers
Few weeks have gone and I still say. Give Liverpool the title (we could just say they were given, not won ;) ) and start working how to do with regulations, promotions and places for Europe. We can’t have this going beyond July. First because of all the contracts. Second, we would ruin the league next year by letting this go until September/ October or even November. If football will even be played by then. Noone knows.
This would be fact though, everyone would have to say that as they'd literally not have won it.

diawl_coch

No, no, no. Liverpool have won no domestic trophies.

The season cannot be finished safely. It must be null and void.

Whether we will even have a 2020/21 season is very iffy, and if we try to restart too soon, that will end up being cancelled as well.

90 + 5min

This would be fact though, everyone would have to say that as they'd literally not have won it.
100%. But to chose between giving them and finishing league by playing games I would give them. The chances would still be 100% that they win. The main problem is other teams and positions.

No, no, no. Liverpool have won no domestic trophies.

The season cannot be finished safely. It must be null and void.

Whether we will even have a 2020/21 season is very iffy, and if we try to restart too soon, that will end up being cancelled as well.
I don’t believe null and void will happen and that is why I am saying that we should give them now. After that start fixing rest of leagues that will be very hard.
And you are right. We don’t even know if next season will happen.