Liverpool - Premier League champions 19/20 Season

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Klopper76, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Oct 5, 2019

redman5 Full Member

In a world of my own. People know me here.
    Or you could go back further & see that maybe other people have a case to answer in terms of Kenny's decision to leave when he did.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...enny-dalglish-quits-liverpool-untold-10928545
  2. Oct 5, 2019

TheReligion Abusive

Sad really. He was obviously having a breakdown and suffering with poor mental health. Must have been bad if he couldn't finish out the season. I guess those days were different to now mind.
  3. Oct 5, 2019

CognitiveNeuro New Member

Except Gomez almost always makes crucial errors at RB.
  4. Oct 5, 2019

Hitman Harry New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    good post and completely refutes the myth that Liverpool are lucky with injuries. Sometimes people believe what they want to believe. You also forgot about Shaqiri’s injury woes
  5. Oct 5, 2019

Finn MacCool Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You know much as I love the new stuff - luck, refs, VAR etc you can't beat an original Greatest Hit.
  6. Oct 5, 2019

Speedy30 Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yep. We dominated England for 20+ years and won 4 European cups in 8 years due to a backpass law.
    Once that went, we were screwed and it had nothing to do with us losing one of our greatest ever managers and replacing him with a much worse one
  7. Oct 5, 2019

Finn MacCool Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think it was more down to the fact that the backpass law only applied to us. We could pass it back but no-one else was allowed to :nono:
  8. Oct 5, 2019

TheReligion Abusive

You lot used to love rolling it back to the keeper to kill a game off. Back and forth, back and forth. It was your hallmark of dominance!
  9. Oct 5, 2019

Finn MacCool Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    All I can say is if that was true and it in any way helped us to win then you've got to ask yourself the question what size where the brains of the opposing teams coaching staff? Had they all had lobotomies? I mean if it made such a drastic difference surely someone somewhere would have had the bright idea to copy it. :rolleyes:
  10. Oct 5, 2019

TheReligion Abusive

It's hard to copy when your goalie had hold of the ball all the time. Let's just say you didn't dazzle with the most exciting football at times now did you!
  11. Oct 5, 2019

Denis' cuff Full Member

Dominated for 20+ years :D
  12. Oct 5, 2019

Finn MacCool Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    But when you eventually got the ball back you could do it and so stop us because then your goalie would have the ball. ;)

Honestly I think we played by far the best and most exciting football in the league between the period 76-89.

Forest were well organised, Everton were also entertaining especially in the mid 80s and Utd in all fairness for the most part during that time period (Sexton era aside) also played good football but where you failed was consistency.
  13. Oct 5, 2019

riis New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Scholes turned 39, Rio 35, and Vidic, Evra and Carrick all 32 by November the next season. RvP was 30 and of unreliable fitness, he had managed more than 28 league games exactly once before Ferguson signed him at 29. Hardly a "great" foundation for Moyes to build upon? Frankly, I think that team was built for one last hurrah.
  14. Oct 5, 2019

TheReligion Abusive

Just a quick one. Seen MOTD and the Mane penalty incident in full. Rivalry aside that is one hell of a dive. He even takes a touch after the contact is made, pauses and then throws himself to the floor. Never a penalty in a million years and unbelievable that VAR didn't tell the referee that, especially when the league wants to outlaw diving.

Anyway, you won't care and rightly so.
  15. Oct 5, 2019

Speedy30 Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Well maybe not 20+ but in the seasons between 1973 and 1990, we won the league 11 times, were runners up 6 times, won 4 European Cups, 2 UEFA cups, 3 FA Cups and 2 League cups.
    I'd say that was quite a dominant period
  16. Oct 6, 2019

MikeeMike New Member

10th November and 4th April will decide title ,(Liverpool v City).If Liverpool Win/Win or Win/Draw i cant see city keeping up.
    Pains me to say but Liverpool have this mode of winning that we had. oh so long ago.
  17. Oct 6, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Nah they will. Last season they came close but the CL kept their belief in tact. They're ready this year and City will have title fatigue (3 on the bounce is very hard).
  18. Oct 6, 2019

POF Full Member

It's strange because that's what I think when I watch City but Liverpool look like dropping points in an amazingly high number of games for a team with their record.

Mane in particular is amazingly clinical this season. Liverpool don't have much creativity in midfield and often really struggle to break teams down and then they get 2 half chances and are 2-0 up.

Some of the decisions they've got and opposition mistakes against them this season have been absolutely incredible.
  19. Oct 6, 2019

Karel Podolsky New Member

Supports:
    Ex Laziale
    We all thought they'd be fecked with VAR... Well..
  20. Oct 6, 2019

Eric7C Full Member

Now that I've had the night to digest the result, you have to say they are a brilliant team. Title wins always includes a bit of luck, but the great teams are ready to exploit the luck when it arrives. They will be worthy champions (unfortunately).

Please work jinx.
  21. Oct 6, 2019

ThierryFabregas New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    If only the backpass rule wasn't in place in 1989 Arsenal might have won the title. Instead Liverpool killed off our chances of winning by continually backpassing to their goalkeeper. Wait a minute.....

The 87/88 Liverpool league winners were one of the best sides I've seen play and they scored 87 goals and conceeded only 26. How old are you btw. You're parotting allot of the bad loser myths that get pedalled around here.

Agreed the wheels were ready to come off. All the quality players were losing the pace/workrate. The young players who came in were all water carriers that papered over that fact but none of them have gone on to be considered United legends by any stretch and most United fans would have more severe adjectives to describe them
  22. Oct 6, 2019

Treble Full Member

It's like fate is toying with Liverpool fans: makes them dream about the title and almost touch it.

City are winning it if they are within 5 pts off Liverpool come March. Liverpool might have a bigger lead at some point but being 5 pts off the top come March will be enough for City to win it again, imo.

Liverpool will play (significantly) more games than last season, won't have warm wheather training camps in January/Februrary and will slow down in the final months or maybe even before that.
  23. Oct 6, 2019

Buchan has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Liverpool’s bum rush style is less conducive to winning games on a consistent basis than City’s dominant (and more appealing) philosophy. Liverpool have only impressed maybe three times this season yet have won eight games on the spin whereas City arguably should’ve/could’ve won all of their games but lie eight points adrift at present.

This disproportionate amount of luck Liverpool receive appears to be a direct mirror image of the ill-luck City regularly get. Liverpool don’t dominate games yet snatch winners through inconceivable manners whereas City boss their opponents but come a cropper to obscene conversion rates from their opponents. How often have we seen worldies go in against City or teams having three shots against them and score two goals? It’s absolutely mental.
  24. Oct 6, 2019

Dorian Gray New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    That is not a bad shout. I would be worried until even later. We play Arsenal and Chelsea in the last 3 PL games. City can cover 3-4 points there.
  25. Oct 6, 2019

tonnas New Member

lucky against Chelsea, super lucky against Sheffield.. adn now another lucky game, how can this continue?
  26. Oct 6, 2019

Seven Seas Sardines Full Member

Time to change thread title to PL Winners 2019/20!

Anyone knows how long Salah will be out for? Darn bad luck there are two weeks without games now!
  27. Oct 6, 2019

Bulldog United Full Member

Judging by Klopp's reaction, Salah's football career could be over.
  28. Oct 6, 2019

PickledRed Full Member

It’s almost as if Liverpool have an unbelievable temperament and mentality by digging out victories from difficult circumstances.

It’s been going on since last season. Not lucky when you win game after game. Just an unbelievable will to win.

As for yesterday, Leicester had one shot on target. They were lucky to be still in the match at that point.
  29. Oct 6, 2019

Stocar Full Member

Well, City are equally relentless, and regularly create more chances. The difference is, they don't get gifts from opposition in key moments. This crazy run will end one day, just one of those streaks when team can't do wrong. A long one though, but they end eventually.

Yeah, Liverpool were much better yesterday, but on the other hand City should have won vs Spurs by a margin, yet only got 1 point from that game. And that's actually normal in football, you shouldn't be winning all games even if you are dominant (which Liverpool aren't, by the way). It is funny how overconfident and unrealistic fans can get.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  30. Oct 6, 2019

PickledRed Full Member

It’s not overconfident when just stating a fact. I’m not declaring Liverpool are dominating every minute of every game. I’m suggesting that a 17 (SEVENTEEN) game winning streak isn’t predominantly luck. It’s because it’s an extremely good team that find all manor of ways to win football matches.

Unquestionably, the ‘luck’ narrative is being given far too much credence. Almost to the extent (dare I say) that it’s all getting a bit Everton.

Never go FULL Everton.
  31. Oct 6, 2019

Stocar Full Member

I get what you're saying. There has to be something special about the team that keeps pushing it over the line for this long. I agree, and but the thing is, it's more akin to an occult force than something tangible that could be shown in stats. For all rationalizations, you can't exactly put a finger on what it is or control it, it's like an act of grace. You can't have it forever though.
  32. Oct 6, 2019

Treble Full Member

Of course, the winning streak is not predominantly luck. Spurs, for instance, can't win 17 games in a row with all the luck in the world. The point is not that you are lucky per se but in comparison to City who play more often in the opposition box but less often score from goalkeeping or defensive blunders and more often seem to drop points when they dominate at both ends of the pitch. Your win at Chelsea, for example, had a lot do with poor finishing from Chelsea's forwards and little to do with a winning mentality or being clinical on your part. You almost never see City winning a game because the opposition missed 5-6 chances and City themselves were clinical. Your first shot on target against Sheffield U came in the middle of the 2nd half and led to a goal after a U18 level of mistake from the goalie. It's things like that, not to mention injuries, which make people think you're being a bit lucky. Luck will desert you at some point though.
  33. Oct 6, 2019

vkd New Member

Supports:
    liverpool
    Our last two games in the league were more than solid. Leicester and Sheffield Utd should have never really been contests.

We've missed a ton of chances, especially yesterday. Chelsea, Norwich, and Southampton were the games we had real problems.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  34. Oct 6, 2019

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Sorry for the gap. 30 games to go where VAR will properly feck over our luck from last season as the knowledgeable cafers have been educating me since before the summer. :cool:
  35. Oct 6, 2019

Thisistheone Full Member

Mane has learnt from Salah well with that dive.
  36. Oct 6, 2019

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

37. Oct 6, 2019

Needham Full Member

They give the ball away a lot. It is based on this observation that I predict we are once again witnessing a false dawn.
  38. Oct 6, 2019

Finn MacCool Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Fair play to you. This is a new angle. What’s next? “Son of Sam” - where Klopp is getting inside info on the opposition from a possessed canine. Or the players using a Ouija board instead of playing cards on the team bus.
  39. Oct 6, 2019

Stocar Full Member

Well, "occult force" isn't actually worse of an explanation than "winning mentality". I'd argue it's even more precise and adequate. Mechanistic explanations such as "Liverpool press till the end" simply don't suffice. City press and create even more, yet don't get the fraction of gifts from opposition or crucial decisions going their way. In fact, they seem to get the opposite quite often.

That's the magic and weirdness of football, it's not as predictable or mechanistic as other sports. Just like life itself isn't. I know it must feel great to be a Liverpool fan at the moment. And I understand why a Liverpool fan would be inclined to fantasize how their team found some magical formula for winning. Don't we all love to blur the line between fantasy and reality? Football leaves a lot of room for fantasy, and what's real anyway? That's why football fan usually hates all that advanced stats stuff. Well, I'm not sure what exactly is real (and I don't think advanced stats tell everything). But what I know is that reality sooner or later hits you (and some of it is shown in those stats).
  40. Oct 6, 2019

El Zoido Full Member

VAR ain’t doing shit for penalties so it’s irrelevant.