Liverpool - Premier League champions 19/20 Season

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Klopper76, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Oct 7, 2019

montpelier Full Member

harsh, :D :D

and despite him scoring winning goals at Utd in every season of the first half of the 2000's - :( :(

City are gonna drop more points with that Laporte-less defence & KDB out - every team misses its key players
  2. Oct 7, 2019

B20 HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME

Supports:
    Liverpool
    He was a good footballer. A rich man's Jesse Lingard.

Making the world a worse place since he retired though.
  3. Oct 7, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

Ah, back to my favourite Liverpool supporter on FB...literally every day he talks about United then if anyone replies he says 'it's great that we're living rent free in your head'.

Also mentions how Alisson is the best keeper in the world every post.
  4. Oct 7, 2019

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don’t think we’ll lose at old Trafford, but I’d very surprised if we steamrollered them. It’ll be a tight and tough game, and we’ll have to be wary as they’re deadly on the counter with space which we provide a lot of this season. The boys and Mane especially look really up for it though so far so I think we have as good a chance as we’ve had in years but I thought the same last season.
  5. Oct 7, 2019

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

Massive praise
  6. Oct 7, 2019

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The same cnut, along with the same fellow cnutearer, that said Calvert Lewin had every right to go down when Lovren had a sneeze near him last season. If you can't stick to the same story how can anything else you say be worth listening to?
  7. Oct 7, 2019

Saffa_Koppite New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It was a 7 point lead
  8. Oct 8, 2019

esmufc07 Won the Grand National Sweepstake once Scout

Klopp's first XI for his first Liverpool game in charge

Mignolet

Clyne
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Moreno

Can
    Milner
    Lucas

Lallana
    Origi
    Coutinho

That's fecking dreadful and I'd argue our first XI is currently stronger (when fit, which it never is). Just goes to show what you can do if you make the right signings and the right structure in place, and how quickly you can improve.
  9. Oct 8, 2019

Klopper76 "Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Once he'd had his first summer with the club he'd bought in Mane, Wijnaldum & Matip to the starting XI & established a regular front three of Coutinho, Mane & Firmino as well. The following summer he brought in Salah & Robertson, and made TAA a regular in the side. He's done well to gradually shape his side into what he wants it to be. Some managers need that time.

You could argue that Solskjaer has tried to do that with Maguire & AWB but I think the big difference is style of play. At the start of Klopp's first full season you could see that we had a clear style of play we were aiming for. That's yet to develop for Solskjaer, and I think that if you could see a clear 'philosophy' on the pitch you'd all be a bit happier with what's happening.

Losing a few games and not competing at the top isn't so bad for a couple of years if the team is getting you off of your feet every week. For the most part I've always enjoyed watching us play with Klopp in charge and you could see his style of play being implemented more and more as time went on.
  10. Oct 8, 2019

esmufc07 Won the Grand National Sweepstake once Scout

Yeah my major gripe at the moment is a lack of any progress in terms of a style of play. It's like we just turn up on a Sunday or a Thursday without having done any training during the week. And that is on Ole after nearly a year in charge. Ultimately I like the 3 signings he has brought in and I think they'll be successful for us, but I no longer think he is good enough to take us forward. But at this point I think the whole club is rotten from top to bottom so I don't harbour much hope.

As you say, with Klopp it was evident fairly quickly what he wanted to have his team playing like, and it is now reaping its rewards. I couldn't care less about trophies at the moment, my team has played turgid football for 6 fecking years, I just want to enjoy watching us play!
  11. Oct 8, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You're similar to Chelsea in that regard. Chelsea fans won't care if they end up 6th and without a trophy this season. They've got a club legend in charge playing young players and an exciting brand of football.

The only difference between Chelsea & United is that Lampard has Chelsea playing well. If you were in Chelsea's position I think you'd be enjoying football a lot more right now.
  12. Oct 8, 2019

nore1975 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Big Sam has a point re recruitment. Mind you it is blindingly obvious. Players are a manager's tools to get his job done. United has spent hundreds of millions only to regress. Chopping and changing managers at the rate United have since 2013 is not conducive to success. In the 4 years Jurgen Klopp has been manager United are now on their third manager in that time. Different managers have different philosophies which require different players etc so it really leads to a high turnover of players.
    Solksjaer needs to be given time. His first batch of signings look very promising. Hard to argue with those who have left both permanently and on loan. This season is likely to be his hardest if the board have the cojones to stick with him and let him rebuild the side and the squad it should get easier after this season. These things take time
  13. Oct 8, 2019

ForeverRoma93 Full Member

Supports:
    A.S. Roma
    What's going on with their Coutinho money? How much do Barca owe them?
  14. Oct 8, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    70 million I think. Not sure what’s going on there.
  15. Oct 8, 2019

mwake New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Well it seems like that is not true as football365 reports that we have actually been paid 105m upfront, and that 37m was to be paid over some years. It seems The Mirror was stretching the truth a little.
  16. Oct 9, 2019

Megadrive Man New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The big difference is that Klopp was a manager with a proven track record and one of the most sought after managers in Europe. Plus also the club and the fans were prepared to give him time to build his team and knew it would take at least 2 seasons before we'd see a real Klopp team.

Solksjaer looks like he's already lost the team and the fans! You could argue that his last chance is to get a win against us then go on a bit of a run and turn it around?
  17. Oct 9, 2019

1966 Full Member

Supports:
    England
    xG just refers to a specific implementation of a class of finite-variant statistic machine learning models that necessarily rely on extrapolation. They're intended to estimate what you claim they measure but to suggest that they can do it precisely is misleading.

Of the three classes of football stats - counted, like shots on target, calculated, like goals per game, and derived/analytical, like xG - derived stats are by far the weakest, being the only ones that don't and, from a tractability perspective, probably never will perfectly reflect reality[1].

I'm posting this as a general reminder to anyone reading not to take xG numbers as gospel. The models have advanced sufficiently and received enough training input to be pretty accurate nowadays but to say "x team should've scored y goals" is still incorrect.

[1] It's trivial to prove that precise xG is currently intractable using the fact that one or more of the input variables is a continuous measurement (e.g. distance from goal); current computers have to be crowbarred into doing basic fixed-point full precision maths so working with uncountably infinite real numbers is practically sci-fi.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  18. Oct 9, 2019

Sir Scott McToMinay New Member

With Ole or without Ole, Liverpool are not winning this match.

A vintage Jose classic, a hard fought nil nil.
  19. Oct 9, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Mostly the mirror journos being drunk at work. They literally contradict themselves two or three times in the article.

Think what's actually happened is that barca still owe the financing company they took a loan from to buy him.
  20. Oct 9, 2019

Thaila-X New Member

The worrying thing for me with Liverpool approaching, is that they aren't necessarily playing their best and they are unbeaten. When City have gone on similar runs they've been playing their best and blowing teams away, Liverpool haven't been but are still winning games. Now a lot of people will say that the luck will run out but I'm on the other side of the coin, at some stage they're going to find their best form and I'm just praying it's not against us.
  21. Oct 9, 2019

ForeverRoma93 Full Member

Supports:
    A.S. Roma
    Ah fairs, as long as you guys got your money...sick and tired of Barca and Real acting like they can do what they want
  22. Oct 10, 2019

adexkola Arsenal supporter

The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
  23. Oct 10, 2019

Warlord New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
  24. Oct 10, 2019

adexkola Arsenal supporter

The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    No need, agreed, but it wouldn't be the first time. Lahm played in midfield under Pep I think
  25. Oct 10, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
  26. Oct 10, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Well, no, since salah is not a midfielder either
  27. Oct 10, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
  28. Oct 10, 2019

UNITED ACADEMY Full Member

Liverpool had also signed worse players in the past like Adams, Carrol, Sakho & etc. However, was that because the manager's fault or was that because your scout's fault? Did you fire your scouting team and Klopp replaced some of them? Or Did your director the ones who made the changes? You used to make so many poor signings and now you started signing the right ones.
  29. Oct 10, 2019

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    TAA had always been a midfielder at LFC youth level. A dribbling, skilful one. So England youth coaches decided to play him at DM for the matches I watched. Typical clueless England. :rolleyes:

He was moved to RB to hone his defensive side, as a lot of youngsters are. The rest is history (in the making).
  30. Oct 10, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Adam, Carroll, Henderson, downing, Suarez where Comolli and Dalglish.

When they were both fired, it was replaced by Rodgers (who rejected a sporting director model after LVG had been lined up for the job) + a transfer committee.

That period was a bad one as there was a lot of wrestling between the two. Rodgers didn't want Sturridge as the committee did, and had them push for Clint fecking dempsey. Six months later, we sign Sturridge after all. Generally, there was a clash of philosophy - Rodgers seemed convinced he could build a title winning side with purchases from the Premier league (Allen, dempsey, borini, Lallana, Toure, Lovren, lambert, Ings, Milner, Clyne, Benteke) . The committee was committed to a 'moneyball' philosophy of buying young talented players from with growth potential and sell on value (Sturridge, Can, markovic, Alberto, Assaidi, aspas, Coutinho, Ilori, Origi, Firmino and most infamously Balotelli)
    Neither was really a winning philosophy and certainly not as competing philosophies.

Didn't help that Rodgers generally treated committee signings like the sons he never wanted. They got very few chances to prove themselves and often out of position (Luis Alberto is probably the best example of this. But Can, Firmino and Origi were all given similar treatment).

The only good thing that came of that period transferwise was that FSG continued to develop and refine their own statistical approach irrespective of Rodgers' transfer philosophy and eventually began to realise that the 'bargain investment' policy didn't yield enough sporting value for the first team.

When Klopp joined, he was completely on board with FSG's general approach and had them promote Edwards from head of analysis (he also had a seat on the committee in that role) to sporting director.

A big change from the Rodgers years has been alignment. The players we sign now are all players the manager genuinely wants to work with. Probably helps that Klopp doesn't maintain his private shortlist of targets independently of the analysis team but works with their criteria to identify the right players (both brandt and salah were on the shortlist two years ago and Klopp preferred brandt, but was convinced to go with salah. Similar story with Alisson).

Besides this, the major development that has happened during Klopp's time has been basically abandoning sell on value as a transfer criteria for the first team (it's sky high as a priority for youth and backup players where turnover is higher though) and transitioning from a 'plenty of fish in the sea' approach to a strong focus on getting exactly the right player into the first team, to the point of rather going without if the right fit is not available right now.

As for type of targets, hunger is seen as a big one,which basically means steering clear of players that are too established or have generally lived feted lives as super talents from day one (so no longer Dembele and I reckon we'd be hesitant on someone like Sancho as well for that reason, unless his mental profile really came through). Robertson and VVD are the obvious examples of players that started small and became stars. But generally, players whose biggest breakthroughs are still in yet to happen and who have a history of having worked hard to get where they are now. In addition to a truckload of statistical analysis of course and all the 101 stuff.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  31. Oct 10, 2019

Gio ★★★★★★★★

Supports:
    Rangers
    It's a better argued case in there than what we've often heard to date from the pundits, usually ex-defenders from the 1990s and schooled in the 1980s, who are used to the right-back being the worst player in the team deployed in a position where they can do the least damage. And who can't fathom such a great player operating in such a low-reputation position. Yet 10 of the last 20 Champions League winning teams have had hugely influential full-backs operating to all intent and purposes as one-man flanks (Real Madrid's Carlos x 3 from 1998-2002, Barcelona's Alves x 3 from 2009-2015, and Real Madrid's Marcelo x 4 from 2014-2018).

Still, it depends what the future holds for Liverpool's midfield. Currently their full-backs, individually, are more influential than each of their three central midfielders, who while acknowledging their work rate and overall game, are broadly interchangeable to some degree. It depends really if Klopp wants to move from that system to a more creative City-esque midfield.
  32. Oct 10, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

That explains a lot.
  33. Oct 20, 2019 at 19:15

Treble Full Member

No update today?
  34. Oct 20, 2019 at 19:20

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yes. I am somebody! (Steve Martin). :)

Match 9. VAR caught our diving and cheating. Slimy Salah.
  35. Oct 20, 2019 at 19:20

Buchan has whacked the hammer to Roswell

They are fecking gash. Another spawny goal after another insipid display. Their luck will run out eventually, and when it does, their fall from grace will be wonderful.
  36. Oct 20, 2019 at 19:26

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Worthy champions my ass.

This Liverpool team would be the worst/luckiest league title winners in the history of the sport.
  37. Oct 20, 2019 at 19:37

Wulfric New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You literally parked the bus for the whole second half. We had 68% of the possession, more shots, more chances created, 548 passes to your 202 (85% success to your 67%) and yet it was by far our worst performance of season.
    And there are people saying we were lucky to get a point. it's actually becoming an annoying myth.
  38. Oct 20, 2019 at 22:33

ExecutionerWasp001 Full Member

It wasn't that it was your worst performance of the season it was more that we didn't allow you to play. The only time you looked remotely threatening in the game was in the last 10 mins when we were tiring. It still took a defensive blunder on our part to get you back into the game. You can count yourselves incredibly lucky to be leaving OT with a point as you deserved nothing.
  39. Oct 20, 2019 at 22:43

njred HALA MADRID!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It was a terrible performance. It was your cup final much like we used to do at Anfield when you used to be good. Now it’s back to the grind and back to the race. Have fun the rest of the way
  40. Oct 20, 2019 at 22:56

predator Youth NITK

Liverpool are the best team in europe, on their day, and have been for 2 years now. To deny this is admirable.

What is obvious for me is how weak their squad is when it comes to injuries compared to city.
    City can lose their best defender, midfielder and striker but they have the strength in depth to deal with it.

Over the course of a season they are not as well equipped as city. City's squad strength is why they have been sp dominant in the league.