Liverpool - Premier League champions 19/20 Season*

JoaquinJoaquin

They have been poor in nearly every game I have watched them in this season yet they find a way to win. Disgusting.

Random Task

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Successful reverse jinx?
I hate myself.

I would also like to point out that any posts I made on this page were intended for the PL matchday thread. I didn't even know I was in this thread or how I got here. It's a freaking mystery.

No, really, I have not been drinking.

DoomSlayer

I don't even care anymore, it's inevitable. My love for United will never waver but right now I'm watching our games due to pure addiction, not very healthy at all.

I could easily take our bad period when the league was competitive, but the last season and this one has been a total nightmare. Both City and Liverpool being almost untouchable is hard to witness.

Heinzesight

Let’s see where they are in January. A few injuries and the fixture pile-up will be interesting. They will hopefully find a way to feck it up and I think they will.

ROFLUTION

I don't even care anymore, it's inevitable. My love for United will never waver but right now I'm watching our games due to pure addiction, not very healthy at all.

I could easily take our bad period when the league was competitive, but the last season and this one has been a total nightmare. Both City and Liverpool being almost untouchable is hard to witness.
This. Flip the script to the years of Fergie and this would be the sort of post from RAWK we ourselves would love to dig up for some good schadenfreude. We're truly in the dark ages.

JoaquinJoaquin

Let’s see where they are in January. A few injuries and the fixture pile-up will be interesting. They will hopefully find a way to feck it up and I think they will.
They very rarely get injuries to top players. It's always the fringe players they can easily replace.

Treble

I've bet €200 :D (full disclosure: not all of it is mine)

But seriously, they look like a mirror of us in 16/17
Liverpool are quite different to Madrid's 16/17 team: more solid in defence and score less goals. I don't see many similarities style wise. City look closer to Madrid regarding style: more technical and less physical, score more goals...

Ban

They can clinch it next week.

giorno

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool are quite different to Madrid's 16/17 team: more solid in defence and score less goals. I don't see many similarities style wise. City look closer to Madrid regarding style: more technical and less physical, score more goals...
I do. Not so much in playing style but definitely in terms of performances and the way their games go

The ridiculous winning mentality bailing them out time and time again

And also, a more talented domestic rival coming to the end of its run

They even have the CL title and 1 point league loss the previous season!

Judas

Open to offers
I don’t think they’re playing that great but they’re relentless and don’t give up. They’ve also got that fear factor which is aiding them quite handsomely.

Treble

I do. Not so much in playing style but definitely in terms of performances and the way their games go

The ridiculous winning mentality bailing them out time and time again

And also, a more talented domestic rival coming to the end of its run

They even have the CL title and 1 point league loss the previous season!
Well, you are free to take that comparison seriously. Time will tell.

I think Liverpool will hit the wall at some point this season, probably around March/April. They play their best players again and again, have a congested fixture list, and unlike last season won't have enough rest in January/Februrary. Plus most of their key players took part in summer competitions...

GenZRed

They are as lucky as anything. It seems the Gods have conspired to hand them the title this season.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
I don’t think they’re playing that great but they’re relentless and don’t give up. They’ve also got that fear factor which is aiding them quite handsomely.
Generally, the current liverpool team are very fit, still going at it strongly even on the dying minutes.

This helps them to eek out a goal or two when opposition starts to tire and losing intensity.
Mane, Robertson and Salah seems to have endless stamina the rest are not too shabby either.
I read somewhere their 2 CM run the most collectively, that's why Klopp stockpile them and doest have fixed combo.

The fitness coach they prise away from Bayern seems to be doing wonders.

Josh 76

My concern is not Liverpool dropping points, its the form of City that worries me. City will drop more points too.
Big game next week. I think Pep will take a draw next week to keep the gap at 6 points.
Then hope the return of his injured players and the Jan transfer window comming up give them the chance to push the scousers all the way, with the home fixture against them still his life line.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t think Henderson should play against City. Awful again today and needs some time rotated out of the side.

Huge game on Sunday.

Pexbo

Online influencer who has never watched Star Wars
They have been poor in nearly every game I have watched them in this season yet they find a way to win. Disgusting.
I couldn't give a crap about xG, but on the old school equivalent of watching matches and having a gut feeling about how a team are performing, I do think that on current performance form they are a bad result away from hitting a rough run of results.

They're on absolute cloud 9 of self belief at the moment and they're getting the late goals because they believe they're going to and they have the confidence to keep pushing for it. When a team manages to break this run, maybe hit them on the counter in the final minutes beat them by two goals, it's going to put doubt in their minds and their decision making will change.

It's how they react when this scenario happens which will decide if they are Champions or not.

Ban

What's up with their fitness, are they working so good on it there their players never seem tired despite their main players playing most games and played deep into summer.

Ban

My concern is not Liverpool dropping points, its the form of City that worries me. City will drop more points too.
Big game next week. I think Pep will take a draw next week to keep the gap at 6 points.
Then hope the return of his injured players and the Jan transfer window comming up give them the chance to push the scousers all the way, with the home fixture against them still his life line.
That would be wise, going hung go there wouldn't be wise.

always_hoping

According to optajoe. That was Liverpool's 35th injury time winner in the Premier league, 10 more than any other side in the competitions history and five of those winners have come since the start of last season, again more than any other team...

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Mane has become the King of divers in the PL.
He's got penalties a few times but today he finally got booked the cheat!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The bottle on Mane is incredible. Couldn't get much right in the first half, keeps working hard, delivers an absolute peach of a cross for the equalizer then scores the winner in over time. When nothing else is working, he's your go to guy to make something happen.

Treble

I predicted earlier in this thread that if City are within 5 pts come March, they'll win it again. They will win it also if they win at Anfield next Sunday.

Liverpool are favourites at Anfield, but they concede goals every game now. Klopp will be in two minds whether to attack them relentlessly or be ready to take a draw. The latter would be a mistake, but playing on the front foot against City might be a mistake too.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp was ridiculed on here and in most media outlets for leading the Liverpool players in celebrations when we draw that West Brom game 2-2 with a late equaliser.
That was the start of Liverpool's switch in mentality that no game was ever dead and buried until the final whistle. It has taken a couple of seasons since but can anyone name a team that would think the game is over against Liverpool with a 1 goal lead and 10mins to go?
Klopp got us Liverpool fans believing that we could still get results late on in games and that has transferred to the players. Couple that mentality with our fitness levels and we are always in with a shout of rescuing games

Guy Incognito

Klopp was ridiculed on here and in most media outlets for leading the Liverpool players in celebrations when we draw that West Brom game 2-2 with a late equaliser.
That was the start of Liverpool's switch in mentality that no game was ever dead and buried until the final whistle. It has taken a couple of seasons since but can anyone name a team that would think the game is over against Liverpool with a 1 goal lead and 10mins to go?
Klopp got us Liverpool fans believing that we could still get results late on in games and that has transferred to the players. Couple that mentality with our fitness levels and we are always in with a shout of rescuing games
No it wasn't, didn't Liverpool lose to Bournemouth having gone 3-1 up or something.

The real mentality change came from signing a defender like VVD and then a top goalkeeper. That was what really pushed Liverpool on. They learnt from their mistakes to win the CL and that Barcelona semi has given his players the belief that anything can happen. As important as losing to Real in hindsight, probably the moment Klopp felt he needed to change something.

Losing the league by fine margins will push and motivate Liverpool on. It's still early days and yes fatigue will set in at some point. Games like today will probably define their season but it'll be interesting to see how they react to a blip or lose a match during the finishing straight. Can't see them going the season unbeaten.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
The real mentality change came from signing a defender like VVD and then a top goalkeeper. That was what really pushed Liverpool on. .
Agree. Add Fabinho to that list as well. He's been just as important to improving us defensively.

Stadjer

Scoring in the 87 minute and 90+4 minute to win 2-1. That is how Fergie used to win the league...

Fully expect them to win the league this year.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
No it wasn't, didn't Liverpool lose to Bournemouth having gone 3-1 up or something.

The real mentality change came from signing a defender like VVD and then a top goalkeeper. That was what really pushed Liverpool on. They learnt from their mistakes to win the CL and that Barcelona semi has given his players the belief that anything can happen. As important as losing to Real in hindsight, probably the moment Klopp felt he needed to change something.

Losing the league by fine margins will push and motivate Liverpool on. It's still early days and yes fatigue will set in at some point. Games like today will probably define their season but it'll be interesting to see how they react to a blip or lose a match during the finishing straight. Can't see them going the season unbeaten.

Since Klopp arrived in the premiership (10 games into 2015/16) we have generally had a good record at claiming points after going behind in games. He changed the mentality very quickly, before VVD and Alisson arrived. They were the missing pieces from a quality perspective.

Season-----Pts-----Rank

15/16------- 13------5th
16/17--------18------1st
17/18--------9-------13th
18/19--------16------1st
19/20--------10------1st

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not enough is said about their fullbacks. Robertson and Trent are just incredible, they'll eventually find a way over the course of 90 minutes to hurt you. Trent's crossing is something else, and he's also a threat from set-pieces. And Robertson has no brakes, the guy will run all day.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Not enough is said about their fullbacks. Robertson and Trent are just incredible, they'll eventually find a way over the course of 90 minutes to hurt you. Trent's crossing is something else, and he's also a threat from set-pieces. And Robertson has no brakes, the guy will run all day.
I just saw the game on Sky's game of the day, so nearly the whole game. Really wanted to see how much El Ghazi and Trez would have tired by 85 minutes. No surprise they were outstanding for those 85, arguably both playing better than our FBs. But with our team 5 minutes + injury time is too big a window for TAA and Robbo. :D

I'm beginning to see how Klopp counters teams that obviously target our FBs with a 5 formation. Only failed against Utd but we always shit our pants there.

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
They are as lucky as anything. It seems the Gods have conspired to hand them the title this season.
With a goal wrongfully disallowed, and a clear pen not given, I struggle to see how Liverpool were lucky this game.

wr8_utd

:'(
Honestly don't care anymore if they win. Even if they're 4-0 down at 80 mins you just know they'll find a way to win. This season, despite how ordinary they look, I've accepted they'll win the league and I couldn't care less.

Bastian

Yeah, insane. Half the team world class. :(

DVG7

I'm not sure which country or network you watch the games on, but I find that their full-backs get the most amount of praise since the Cafu Roberto Carlos partnership for Brazil. The sky-sports guys recently gave both of them a fair amount of air time, and most pundits have had their input on TAA and how they think he can become one of the best right backs in the world, which in my opinion he already is.

Their full-backs are given an awful lot of space though, and a lot of the way Klopp creates that is actually found in the blueprint of Guardiola's Barca side when he had Messi at false 9. When you have 3 exceptionally talented forward players and a midfield that basically doesn't get tired, then the space for the full-backs just naturally opens up. I would wager that if you could have a heat-map of where Abidal and Alves spent most of their time for Barca when attacking and not in possession, that TAA and Robertson's heat-map would be eerily similar. They are fantastic players and both have very dangerous deliveries, but their ability to be able to be so effective stems from the danger the rest of their team poses. Both of them look like lesser players internationally, away from that 4-3-3 Klopp has perfected.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Interesting choice of article titles on Sky Sports regarding the Liverpool and City games. Thank god for VAR because if the level of support the media shows them is reflected in the refs, they really would be PL champions.