Liverpool - Premier League champions 19/20 Season

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So......they signed no one of note? Dangerous game they're playing.

Irrational.

They had their chance to win the league last season and they fecked it.

No way they're getting close this time with their fixture pile up and VAR.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
So......they signed no one of note? Dangerous game they're playing.
Klopp said earlier today that he’s not willing to make signings for the sake of it. I think he’s hoping Keita will come good.

Interestingly he also said he didn’t want to make a move for Coutinho because he thinks that the team has moved on from him now.

We’re a bit fecked if Firmino gets a long term injury. I think he’s key to how we play.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Klopp said earlier today that he’s not willing to make signings for the sake of it. I think he’s hoping Keita will come good.

Interestingly he also said he didn’t want to make a move for Coutinho because he thinks that the team has moved on from him now.

We’re a bit fecked if Firmino gets a long term injury. I think he’s key to how we play.
Bad reasoning by Klopp. It's not about signing "for the sake of it". It's about signing depth.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Bad reasoning by Klopp. It's not about signing "for the sake of it". It's about signing depth.
He’ll probably go for youth options if he needs to use squad players.

We’ve got some squad depth, but there’s more of a drop off compared to City.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Alisson/Adrian

Trent/Gomez
Van Dijk/Lovren
Matip/Hoever, VDB
Robertson/Milner

Fabinho/Henderson
Wijnaldum/Keita
Ox/Lallana

Salah/Shaqiri
Firmino/Brewster
Mane/Origi

Our depth isn’t too bad. It’s the drop off in quality that is the real issue. We can’t afford to pay big money for someone to warm the bench.

Midfield is fine for quality and depth. Defence is ok but could be better. Up top is where the real drop off happens. It’s the same for most teams apart from City. They showed last season that they can go practically a whole season without a world class player, KDB, and still win the league with a huge points haul.

Doubt many top teams signed squad depth this window. Off the top of my head can only think of Daniel James who could really be considered depth, and some expect him to start quite a lot. We signed a couple for the future although I do think Van Den Berg could get some game time as our CBs are quite injury prone. We’re a few injuries to key players away from a potential crisis but, apart from City, which team isn’t?

TheLiverBird

Alisson/Adrian

Trent/Gomez
Van Dijk/Lovren
Matip/Hoever, VDB
Robertson/Milner

Fabinho/Henderson
Wijnaldum/Keita
Ox/Lallana

Salah/Shaqiri
Firmino/Brewster
Mane/Origi

Our depth isn’t too bad. It’s the drop off in quality that is the real issue. We can’t afford to pay big money for someone to warm the bench.

Midfield is fine for quality and depth. Defence is ok but could be better. Up top is where the real drop off happens. It’s the same for most teams apart from City. They showed last season that they can go practically a whole season without a world class player, KDB, and still win the league with a huge points haul.

Doubt many top teams signed squad depth this window. Off the top of my head can only think of Daniel James who could really be considered depth, and some expect him to start quite a lot. We signed a couple for the future although I do think Van Den Berg could get some game time as our CBs are quite injury prone. We’re a few injuries to key players away from a potential crisis but, apart from City, which team isn’t?
Thats good squad depth imo across the board

Your main concern being the drop in quality in our attack with your back ups to Salah Firmino and Mane being

Shaq
Origi
Brewster

But with how often our Midfield is rotated there's options there to help out with the attacking front 3 as well as the above three back ups

Ox and Keita are capable wing men and good quality attacking options "as well"

Black Adder

It's a long shot, but could Wijnaldum play similar role as false 9 position?

But in case of real long term injury, think that Klopp would adapt, he's grown as a coach since he joined Liverpool, fecker :lol:

Thisistheone

Liverpool must have an excellent medical team because their main players always seem fit. Van Dijk and Salah played all 38 PL games last season. Mane, Firmino, Robertson hardly missed any.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool

But in case of real long term injury, think that Klopp would adapt, he's grown as a coach since he joined Liverpool, fecker :lol:
He has played there a couple of times (Barca away comes to mind) and he's been terrible.
We actually have no back-up option for the false 9 role and if Firmino gets injured, imo, most likley Salah will play at the center.

Liverpool must have an excellent medical team because their main players always seem fit. Van Dijk and Salah played all 38 PL games last season. Mane, Firmino, Robertson hardly missed any.
I think a lot of this is down to the fitness coach, Andreas Kornmayer, who joined us in summer 2016. I remember Klopp lauded him as the key factor in the Bayern's Treble-winning team.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

We tried that at Barcelona last season and it really didn't work out. If Firmino is out, we'd just play Mane or Salah through the center. Both are more than capable of doing so but of course we lose some quality on the wings if Shaqiri or Origi have to come in.

Really looking forward to the start of the season. I hope we come out flying and put the game to bed nice and early.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Mentioned it previously, but I really would have liked us to get a forward to rotate with the front three. Someone who could play every other game to give the usual suspects some rest every now and again without a big drop in quality.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
No. He's hopeless when played too high up the pitch. Just disappears. Don't know how he ever did it at Newcastle.

Think Klopp sees improvement in guys like keita and Chamberlain adding something more, gomez being back, and not waiting half a season for Henderson and Fabinho to get going.

If all that pans out and Firmino has a good season, we'll be as much in the mix this season as we were last I reckon.

Other wildcards are Brewster and whether TAA can keep up his outrageous form from the final third of last season.

It's a fragile balance though. It's a leap of faith for Klopp in this squad.

Black Adder

He has played there a couple of times (Barca away comes to mind) and he's been terrible.
We actually have no back-up option for the false 9 role and if Firmino gets injured, imo, most likley Salah will play at the center.

I think a lot of this is down to the fitness coach, Andreas Kornmayer, who joined us in summer 2016. I remember Klopp lauded him as the key factor in the Bayern's Treble-winning team.
We tried that at Barcelona last season and it really didn't work out. If Firmino is out, we'd just play Mane or Salah through the center. Both are more than capable of doing so but of course we lose some quality on the wings if Shaqiri or Origi have to come in.

Really looking forward to the start of the season. I hope we come out flying and put the game to bed nice and early.
No. He's hopeless when played too high up the pitch. Just disappears. Don't know how he ever did it at Newcastle.

Think Klopp sees improvement in guys like keita and Chamberlain adding something more, gomez being back, and not waiting half a season for Henderson and Fabinho to get going.

If all that pans out and Firmino has a good season, we'll be as much in the mix this season as we were last I reckon.

Other wildcards are Brewster and whether TAA can keep up his outrageous form from the final third of last season.

It's a fragile balance though. It's a leap of faith for Klopp in this squad.
Thanks for the explanations, didn't realise he was that bad in false 9 position.

Looking that way you do need proper back up for Firmino, but the rest of the squad is nicely backed with multiple options. It pains me to say that Klopp really set you properly with every transfer window smartly used.

And you still have Keita and Chamberlain to step up from the last season, no wonder he didn't go for transfer(s) just for the sake of it.

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
The squad is looking decent for next season, although I'm disappointed we didn't bring back Coutinho. By all accounts Barca were desperate to get rid of him and and I'm glad he didn't end up at Spurs or Arsenal. European transfer window is still open so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at PSG as part of a Neymar deal.

I guess FSG are really taking FFP quite seriously. Coutinho + 2CL finals = VVD, Fabinho, Allisson (roughly). And since we made transfer surplus this Summer, I assume we can spend big in January/Summer 2020, which we might have to. Front 3 are all the same age and its a ticking time bomb, I would start mixing it up little with a major young attacker signed in each of the next 2 Summers.

GDaly95

Sexist Pig
They're in a good position not to sign anyone tbf.

A young squad, perfect cohesion, presumably hungrier than ever after missing out on the league last season.

Wouldn't worry about slipping back if I was a fan.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

A young squad, perfect cohesion, presumably hungrier than ever after missing out on the league last season.

I don't want to slip back, and not reaaaally worried about that, I want to move forward!

Don Juan Matus

Salah - 27
Mane - 27
Firmino - 27
VVD - 28
Wijnaldum - 28
Milner - 33
Henderson - 29
Lovren - 30
Matip - 28
Lallana - 31
Shaqiri - 27

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Peak years really. This season and the next 2 seasons after that is the time for this squad basically.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Salah - 27
Mane - 27
Firmino - 27
VVD - 28
Wijnaldum - 28
Milner - 33
Henderson - 29
Lovren - 30
Matip - 28
Lallana - 31
Shaqiri - 27
I’d say this is why Klopp hasn’t been desperate to buy.

- A squad reaching maturity and been together a good while
- One of very few squads not in transition is a huge bonus
- Good mix of experience
- Some youth coming through or fully established
- Save money for big summer (2020) when squad needs genuine work

Everyone loves a new pricey signing, but squad development is more important.

VeevaVee

despite the protests, wears Ugg boots
Scout
Agreed. Sounds like a cop out because he's afraid of upsetting the apple cart with the team spirit they have going. A Klopp out, you might say. Or a Kop out.

Either that, or they have no cash and want to save it for when they really need it.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Maybe yeah. I can't see it being a good choice personally. They might get lucky again though.
I'm a it concerned about the lack of signings. If nothing else, one more top class player keeps things fresh and makes sure the others don't rest on their laurels. On the flip side of that, we lost Oxlade-Chamberlain for the whole of last season and along with Keita having a season under his belt now, I think I we're quite a well rounded team now. A left back and cover for the front 3 has to be the priority next summer I think

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
If current reports are to be believed (Dominic King), then Allison is out for 4-6 weeks. Not great but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Hopefully this will be confirmed by the club in a few days and he doesn't miss too much of the season.
That should mean he's back after the first (of far too many) international break ready for the fixtures to start piling up

montpelier

I thought probably not.

I'm a bit concerned that I appear to have started typing in scouse, :(.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Not ideal to lose him for the opening weeks of the season but I do like Adrian. He’s clearly not in Alisson’s league but it’s better than Mignolet or Karius.

Nico87

If current reports are to be believed (Dominic King), then Allison is out for 4-6 weeks. Not great but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Hopefully this will be confirmed by the club in a few days and he doesn't miss too much of the season.
That should mean he's back after the first (of far too many) international break ready for the fixtures to start piling up
Daily Mail now reporting 8 weeks, will obviously be a huge loss. Is there any big games in that time he’ll miss?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Daily Mail now reporting 8 weeks, will obviously be a huge loss. Is there any big games in that time he’ll miss?
Arsenal at home and Chelsea away, plus the super cup final ant the first two CL games.

Nico87

Arsenal at home and Chelsea away, plus the super cup final ant the first two CL games.
I’d imagine you’d be able to restrict Arsenal from doing much at Anfield, Super cup probably not a big deal. Chelsea away could be difficult but I’d still expect Liverpool to be able to cope. If you get drawn in a difficult group that’s where his absence will be felt though.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I’d imagine you’d be able to restrict Arsenal from doing much at Anfield, Super cup probably not a big deal. Chelsea away could be difficult but I’d still expect Liverpool to be able to cope. If you get drawn in a difficult group that’s where his absence will be felt though.
Well we’re pot 1 so hopefully we won’t get anything too difficult.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
looks like Lovren is off to Italy for €20m.

Leaves us a bit light centrally, but it is outweighed by having the unholy triumvirate of Mignolet, Moreno & Lovren all go in the same summer. Can't say I'll miss him in any shape or form.

InLevyITrust

Supports
Tottenham
looks like Lovren is off to Italy for €20m.

Leaves us a bit light centrally, but it is outweighed by having the unholy triumvirate of Mignolet, Moreno & Lovren all go in the same summer. Can't say I'll miss him in any shape or form.
Any word on Allison?