Liverpool refuse to refund fans who could not attend Liverpool v Atletico Madrid (Atletico have covered the €17k)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Klopp: "The fans are singing You'll Never Walk Alone because They will always follow us around, wanting a refund".

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
what a turnaround they've had PR-wise

everyone was drooling over them a couple of months ago
:lol: this could have been on of their greatest ever seasons and it’s been marred massively not only by the coronavirus situation but by their abhorrent response to it. This is the same club that 9 years ago put out t-shirts supporting a player who perpetrated racism at another player who why are we surprised?

Pagh Wraith

I'm fully on board criticising them for the furloughing stuff and letting this game go ahead in the first place which was a terrible decision. But this is a non-story. I don't see why the home team should pay for away fans who decided not to travel. It should have been a story if Atletico refused to reimburse their fans but thankfully they didn't.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'd like someone fired for these abominable decisions.

Cloud7

:lol: this could have been on of their greatest ever seasons and it’s been marred massively not only by the coronavirus situation but by their abhorrent response to it. This is the same club that 9 years ago put out t-shirts supporting a player who perpetrated racism at another player who why are we surprised?
Was that really 9 years ago? Fecking hell. I'm getting old :(

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'd like someone fired for these abominable decisions.
Same. Other clubs are doing the right things during this crisis but we're having a nightmare. FSG don't have a very good track record when it comes to PR.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
feck sake, what a deplorable club at an administrative level. Care only for themselves. If it was the other way round we'd hear all about it.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
We should pay them the refund value. Kill them with kindness like Fergie would.

Member 101269

Klopp: "The fans are singing You'll Never Walk Alone because They will always follow us around, wanting a refund".
We're already had LFC board sing; We'll never keep your job, Sign on, sign on.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Nope. Atletico already promised their fans they'd refund them if they didn't travel before the game (as advised by their government). Liverpool was never asked to refund anything. Again: https://www.atleticodemadrid.com/no...ara-socios-con-entrada-para-anfield-liverpool

Hardly rocket science, as you say - and also not something controversial or worthy of a media headline. But hey, it suits the narrative so whatever.
You better learn from Liverpool fans like Klopper76, B20 and some other of your fans:

B20 - I'd like someone fired for these abominable decisions.

Klopper - Same. Other clubs are doing the right things during this crisis but we're having a nightmare. FSG don't have a very good track record when it comes to PR.

MrPooni

Anfield: the victims, the anger and Liverpool's shameful truth

In the blighted streets around Liverpool's Anfield stadium, residents are packing up and leaving their family homes, so the football club can have them demolished and expand their Main Stand. In the six months since the club scrapped their decade-long plan to build a new stadium on Stanley Park, and reverted to expanding Anfield instead, Liverpool city council has been seeking to buy these neighbours' homes, backed by the legal threat of compulsory purchase.

People's farewells are bitter, filled with anger and heartbreak at the area's dreadful decline and at the club for deepening the blight by buying up houses since the mid-1990s then leaving them empty. A few residents are refusing to move, holding out against the council, which begins negotiations with low offers. These homeowners believe they should be paid enough not only to buy a new house but to compensate for the years of dereliction, stagnation and decline, and crime, fires, vandalism, even murders which have despoiled the area. Their resentment is compounded by the fact that they are being forced to move so that Liverpool, and their relatively new US owner, Fenway Sports Group, can make more money.

On Lothair Road, which backs on to the Anfield Main Stand, one man who lived next door to a house Liverpool own and have left empty, shuttered – "tinned up" as the locals call it – shook his head. "I'm not moving out," he told the Guardian, "I've been driven out."

Residents' bitterness derives from when the club started buying houses in Lothair Road, without saying they were doing so or making their intentions clear. The club used an agency to approach some residents, while some houses were bought by third parties then sold on quickly to the club. That left residents with the belief, which has endured ever since, that Liverpool were buying up houses by stealth, to keep prices low.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...blog/2013/may/06/anfield-liverpool-david-conn

Can everyone please add this to their ever expanding list of reasons to hate them? It doesn't get nearly enough coverage.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
You better learn from Liverpool fans like Klopper76, B20 and some other of your fans:

B20 - I'd like someone fired for these abominable decisions.

Klopper - Same. Other clubs are doing the right things during this crisis but we're having a nightmare. FSG don't have a very good track record when it comes to PR.
How about actually replying to my post instead of referring to others? Do you seriously have issue with us not offering to refund, when Atletico already have made it clear they'll refund their fans before the game?

Again, Atletico made it public BEFORE the match that they'd refund any fan who didn't travel to the game (as advised by the Spanish government). Liverpool was never asked to refund anything. The media however is making it seem like we refused to refund their tickets - which isn't true at all, we never had to, and were never asked to do so. Everyone is whining about something that never happened. This is a non-issue.

@B20 @Klopper76 do you really see this as controversial? This is just the media stirring up stuff that isn't newsworthy at all. The furlough thing was terrible by the board, but this is not.

To sum it up: The media is misleading you all on this. Liverpool never refused to refund. Atletico offered to refund their own fans before the game. https://www.atleticodemadrid.com/no...ara-socios-con-entrada-para-anfield-liverpool

Last edited:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I'm fully on board criticising them for the furloughing stuff and letting this game go ahead in t first place which was a terrible decision. But this is a non-story. I don't see why the home team should pay for away fans who decided not to travel. It should have been a story if Atletico refused to reimburse their fans but thankfully they didn't.
Yep, this is on Atletico. Those were their fans - why should Liverpool reimburse them?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
How about actually replying to my post instead of referring to others? Do you seriously have issue with us not offering to refund, when Atletico already have made it clear they'll refund their fans before the game?

Again, Atletico made it public BEFORE the match that they'd refund any fan who didn't travel to the game (as advised by the Spanish government). Liverpool was never asked to refund anything. The media however is making it seem like we refused to refund their tickets - which isn't true at all, we never had to, and were never asked to do so. Everyone is whining about something that never happened. This is a non-issue.

@B20 @Klopper76 do you really see this as controversial? This is just the media stirring up stuff that isn't newsworthy at all. The furlough thing was terrible by the board, but this is not.

To sum it up: The media is misleading you all on this. Liverpool never refused to refund. Atletico offered to refund their own fans before the game. https://www.atleticodemadrid.com/no...ara-socios-con-entrada-para-anfield-liverpool
YAWN :)

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

The article says that Liverpool got the money for the 290 fans who did not travel to the game... but Atletico refunded them.

Liverpool = +290
Atletico = -290
Fans = 0

big rons sovereign

Aah, the classic 'media is against us' stance. A popular choice for the hardcore delusional. Top victiming.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Aah, the classic 'media is against us' stance. A popular choice for the hardcore delusional. Top victiming.
Top generalization. I don't think the media is against us at all, but they do love a good "story". I have posted evidence that the media was wrong this time. There is no evidence of Liverpool refusing to refund anything, and full evidence (literally from Atletico's own homepage) that Atletico offered to refund their travelling fans before the game. I don't really understand what's so hard to get here guys? It's possible to admit you're wrong on the internet you know.

big rons sovereign

Top generalization. I don't think the media is against us at all, but they do love a good "story". I have posted evidence that the media was wrong this time. There is no evidence of Liverpool refusing to refund anything, and full evidence (literally from Atletico's own homepage) that Atletico offered to refund their travelling fans before the game. I don't really understand what's so hard to get here guys? It's possible to admit you're wrong on the internet you know.
More classic Scouse, a complete lack of a sense of humour.
But I suppose being the most knowledgeable fans comes at a cost.
Yer not on RAWK now pal. We're allowed to have fun here.

TheReligion

Abusive

I'm not sure it's that complicated. You kept the gate receipts and Athletico have picked up the shortfall.

Just why LFC are penny pinching over minor amounts at the moments is really beyond me. It's not how a big club should be acting.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Yes, like I initially said. Non-issue.
As TheReligion said:

''I'm not sure it's that complicated. You kept the gate receipts and Athletico have picked up the shortfall.

Just why LFC are penny pinching over minor amounts at the moments is really beyond me. It's not how a big club should be acting.''

I welcome the day when we get rid of Liverpool supporters with your type of attitude.

arnie_ni

The article says that Liverpool got the money for the 290 fans who did not travel to the game... but Atletico refunded them.

Liverpool = +290
Atletico = -290
Fans = 0
How about actually replying to this post?

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
As TheReligion said:

''I'm not sure it's that complicated. You kept the gate receipts and Athletico have picked up the shortfall.

Just why LFC are penny pinching over minor amounts at the moments is really beyond me. It's not how a big club should be acting.''

I welcome the day when we get rid of Liverpool supporters with your type of attitude.
The attitude of wanting the truth to come forth? That's all this is. I know it's a Man Utd forum, and it's fun for you guys to mock Liverpool, and that's fine and expected. But at least do it when it's warranted (Gerrard slip, the furlough incident, etc), and not due to news reports with no credibility. Wanting something to be true doesn't make it so.

Atletico announced before the game that they'd refund any Atletico fan not able to go. There is no controversy here. The only potential controversy here is if clubs have a policy of refunding the away fans if they don't show up, AND if Liverpool outright denied that refund after their request. But that isn't the case, since Atletico already said they would do the refund before the game.

We'll just have to agree to disagree if you want to continue on!

Zen86

Yeah but remember Liverpool are such a well run club and we should be emulating them.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The attitude of wanting the truth to come forth? That's all this is. I know it's a Man Utd forum, and it's fun for you guys to mock Liverpool, and that's fine and expected. But at least do it when it's warranted (Gerrard slip, the furlough incident, etc), and not due to news reports with no credibility. Wanting something to be true doesn't make it so.

Atletico announced before the game that they'd refund any Atletico fan not able to go. There is no controversy here. The only potential controversy here is if clubs have a policy of refunding the away fans if they don't show up, AND if Liverpool outright denied that refund after their request. But that isn't the case, since Atletico already said they would do the refund before the game.

Liverpool = +290
Atletico = -290
Fans = 0

Phurry

Furry Fecker

Liverpool = +290
Atletico = -290
Fans = 0
It’s known as dippernomics, it’s often found as an integral part of their net spend argument.

big rons sovereign

Liverpool = +290
Atletico = -290
Fans = 0
Deaf ears, blind eyes.
In the last ten years, they've hacked a rivals scouting network.
Shafted local residents out of their homes in order to build that heap of shit.
Tried to scam staff of 80% of their wage by claiming the furlough grant.
Yet still there's legions of them calling them heroes.
They're under no obligation to refund fans that didn't travel, but under current circumstances maybe it would've been the right thing.
Nope, cash trousered.

TheReligion

Abusive

Earth to @Schweigaard, earth to @Schweigaard, come in @Schweigaard..

It's hardly the worst thing your club has done (and let's be honest it's a long list) but you kept the money and let Athletico pick up the bill. You'd have thought the decent thing to do was square it away irrespective of what was discussed beforehand. Holding the game with fans was a ridiculously selfish decision in itself given the circumstances and the penny pinching antics afterwards just get under people's skin (along with the furlough ploy you tried)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Liverpool fans should be enjoying their league title by now but instead, the Poo Chumpions keep making headlines and not in a good way.
It's like the old saying "bad events bring the worst out of people, slip once and you'll slip again".

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Liverpool fans should be enjoying their league title by now but instead, the Poo Chumpions keep making headlines and not in a good way.
It's like the old saying "bad events bring the worst out of people, slip once and you'll slip again".
What are you talking about? All of their PR disasters have been overlooked all of a sudden with focus shifting onto St. Henderson, leader of the PL captains.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What are you talking about? All of their PR disasters have been overlooked all of a sudden with focus shifting onto St. Henderson, leader of the PL captains.
I stopped reading the news for about a day and They come up with something else already. So desperate :lol:

big rons sovereign

I was gonna get into that but couldn't find a way of not sounding petty. But yeah, all the 'my captain' crap they're spouting, you'd think he'd gone around every footballer with a donation plate. When in reality it's a collection of captains working together. A fact conveniently forgotten by the best fans of the best team in the best city........

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Deaf ears, blind eyes.
In the last ten years, they've hacked a rivals scouting network.
Shafted local residents out of their homes in order to build that heap of shit.
Tried to scam staff of 80% of their wage by claiming the furlough grant.
Yet still there's legions of them calling them heroes.
They're under no obligation to refund fans that didn't travel, but under current circumstances maybe it would've been the right thing.
Nope, cash trousered.
Thats what it's all about doing the right thing. I have a few dipper supporting mates and they basically because of the whole Hillsborough thing that anything they do that's shitty pales in comparison to what happened to them.