Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Spiersey

Supports
    Chelsea
    Think 3 at the back with AWB playing CB would work well. The wing backs would be dealing with TAA and Robertson and would leave him to deal with Mane. I’m looking forward to seeing a team man mark TAA soon, fairly sure it’ll happen at some point. Man marking him and keeping a striker on VVD at all times would negate a lot of their strengths.

Josh 76

Think 3 at the back with AWB playing CB would work well. The wing backs would be dealing with TAA and Robertson and would leave him to deal with Mane. I’m looking forward to seeing a team man mark TAA soon, fairly sure it’ll happen at some point. Man marking him and keeping a striker on VVD at all times would negate a lot of their strengths.
    Interesting points.

I remember once when Steve Coppell came to OT with Crystal Palace and man marked all of the Utd players. Was a crazy game to watch. Ended 0-0. Think it was 2007.
    Never seen anything like it before or since.

youngrell

Quite calm about this fixture for once. Liverpool are overwhelming favourites so there's little pressure on us outside of the derby bragging rights.

Hopefully AWB can contain Mane as well as he did Sterling at the Etihad, and I'm quite confident Williams can snuff out Salah particularly because he's right footed and Salah prefers to come inside. Young has had a very similar advantage in the past and done well.

Will be more confident if Rashford is fit, he has proven to give TAA some problems previously and he should be leaving plenty of space at Anfield.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
    Supports
    Liverpool
    Wingbacks on our fullbacks and leave your three CBs against our front three? I think that'd be disastrous tbh, no one can cover Mane one on one for an entire game.

Siorac

Is Rashford going to be fit? We have absolutely no chance without him. I’m dreading the game, think Liverpool will win it comfortably but at least it means we don’t have to play them again this season.
    Well, both teams are still alive in the FA Cup...

Spiersey

Supports
    Chelsea
    Wingbacks on our fullbacks and leave your three CBs against our front three? I think that'd be disastrous tbh, no one can cover Mane one on one for an entire game.
    CDM would drop back and pick up Firmino in theory given he likes to drop deep. Pools biggest threat is their full backs and VVD starts a lot of attacks as well. I don’t rate Liverpool’s midfield in terms of creativity, letting the midfield have the ball is how I would play against them and focus on dealing with the individual threats. Would need a good performance from the CB’s but I think it would work well. Would depend how well the defence dealt with the press from the front 3 I think.

Josh 76

Maybe 2 of the front 3 on your full backs. And leave our full backs narrow to cut out the space for your front 3.
    James on Roberton
    Rashford on TAA.

If we had Pogba and Mctommny fit, I would be more confident. But our midfield will let us down.

Alabaster Codify7

It will be comfortable for them but not a hammering, I reckon.

---------------------------------DDG--------------------------------
    AWB---------Lindelöf-----------Maguire-----------Williams
    -----------------Fred----------------Matic------------------------
    ----------------------------Pereira----------------------------------
    Greenwood------------Martial---------------------James

SUBS - Rashford (Greenwood), Lingard (James), Mata (Pereira)

Liverpool 2 - 0 Man United

Red00012

Mata has to start this one , 2 assists and a goal in his last 2 games. Or will he go with the guy that runs around a lot.
    The Liverpool midfield will chew him up and spit him out.

Gasolin

Mata has to start this one , 2 assists and a goal in his last 2 games. Or will he go with the guy that runs around a lot.
    The Liverpool midfield will chew him up and spit him out.
    Mata is better when we are close to the box. We may not be that close to the box against Liverpool as their defensive line will try to push up to compress their own team, and compress us. So I am not sure is what I am saying. It's not about running, it's about focusing on protecting the critical areas so that we can hurt them more whenever they try to do something.

Havak

Pokemon master
    I'm assuming we'll have to play a similar side that started against Wolves, with de Gea back in and probably Andreas or Lingard over Mata at the start. I think Ole will want the higher energy and pressing that these two can apply more-so than Mata, but if we can stay in the game, Mata could definitely make the difference in the last 20-25 minutes if he can keep up the level from his last two performances. He must be feeling good and confident now, but I'm not sure he'd be the right selection from the start to deal with Liverpool's style of play. Martial should also play down the middle and James in what is his supposed preferred position of left wing if Rashford can't play.

I never expect us to get drubbed even if we play badly, it's only really happened once against Everton which was an awful, awful day. Other than that, even if we're garbage we concede three at most and usually make enough chances to pinch a goal ourselves. I'll go out on a limb and say this won't be embarrassing even if we're poor on the day. However, to be fully confident of a result I'd have wanted McTominay, Pogba, and Rashford fit really. Can't be making excuses, but they'd probably still be three of the first names on the team sheet for us so it's a big ask, especially given Liverpool's form overall, nevermind at home where they seem indestructible right now.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
    Supports
    Liverpool
    so it's a big ask, especially given Liverpool's form overall, nevermind at home where they seem indestructible right now.
    Yeah, our Anfield record in the league is pretty crazy if you look at it. Last dropped points almost a year ago now, and last loss at home is 2,5 seasons ago.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
    Scout
    More ”United have referees in their pocket” narrative from Sky.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
    Supports
    Liverpool
    Sounds like Fabinho & Matip are fit but I wouldn't rush either of them back.

I'm expecting us to start as follows:

------------------------------Alisson--------------------------------
    TAA------------Gomez-----------Van Dijk-------Robertson
    ----------------------------Henderson----------------------------
    ----------------Wijnaldum---------Chamberlain-----------
    Salah---------------------Firmino----------------------Mane

Subs: Adrian, Matip, Lallana, Minamino, Fabinho, Shaqiri & Origi.

dev1l

I hope I m wrong but I think we could end up like vs City. Our midfield is simply too weak and I think players like Matic will struggle against Liverpool pressing. This will be a different game than those vs Norwich and Wolves ,where there was actually lot of space for someone like Matic.
    I just hope the lads surprise me.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    I can't see anything other than 4-0 for them.

We are so weak, tired and not solid at all, when they have exactly the opposite form, quality and belief.

Even with our pretended best XI we would loose, so let alone the side that "played" against Wolves.

Just hard because all of the runners for the top 4 will win points so that will be a tough weekend for us.

---------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------
    -------------------Lindelof-------Maguire--------Jones-----------------
    AWB------------------------Fred-----------Matic------------------Williams
    ----------------------------------------Pereira------------------------------------
    --------------Rashford/James----------Martial-------------------------

I can see us conceding a goal on set pieces, and having Williams sent off

Klopper76

Supports
    Liverpool
    I can't see anything other than 4-0 for them.

We are so weak, tired and not solid at all, when they have exactly the opposite form, quality and belief.

Even with our pretended best XI we would loose, so let alone the side that "played" against Wolves.

Just hard because all of the runners for the top 4 will win points so that will be a tough weekend for us.

---------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------
    -------------------Lindelof-------Maguire--------Jones-----------------
    AWB------------------------Fred-----------Matic------------------Williams
    ----------------------------------------Pereira------------------------------------
    --------------Rashford/James----------Martial-------------------------

I can see us conceding a goal on set pieces, and having Williams sent off
    Your best side would give us a good game. A Midfield three of Fred, McTominay & Pogba is decent and then you'd have AWB, Lindelof, Maguire & Williams as the back four.

Your front three picks itself as well.

You'd have a lot of ways to hurt us if everyone was available.

Josh 76

Yeah, our Anfield record in the league is pretty crazy if you look at it. Last dropped points almost a year ago now, and last loss at home is 2,5 seasons ago.
    With a lot of help from last min goal keeper blunders and VAR.

Klopper76

Supports
    Liverpool
    With a lot of help from last min goal keeper blunders and VAR.
    Can you provide examples of league games at Anfield where we would've lost if not for refereeing, VAR or mistakes from the opposition?

City maybe? I'm struggling to think of many.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
    Time Travel
    Only way to get a result is by creating mismatches in midfield. James/Pereira's defensive work on the wings is going to be vital to control Robertson/TAA from running the game.

Martial
    Pereira Mata James
    Fred Matic
    Williams Maguire Lindelöf AWB
    deGea​

Snafu17

I watched the whole thing. I know it's supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek, but it's really frustrating on account of Neville being unable to remember some very obvious counter arguments. Yes Jamie, Busby's average league position was 9th, but it might have had something to do with the fact that a large portion of his team literally died at one point.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Liverpool dominated Europe in an era where there was only 1 team from each league and you had to play Belfast Crusadars in the Last 16 and Tranzonspor in the 1/4 final.

Seven Seas Sardines

Assuming Rashford is out. I'd like to go 3 at the back but we don't have another fit CB bar Jones and let's just avoid that.

De Gea
    AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Williams
    Matic - Fred
    Greenwood - Andreas - James
    Martial​
    Watch Ole put Bailly on. We'll concede three, before he'll get injured and sent off simultaneously.

Pughnichi

Visited manUtd.com to see if any sudden announcements re Bruno.

Second link Liverpool v United Essential Information has Lingard as the main picture. Who decides this?!!

I can’t make my mind up if someone’s just having a laugh...”this’ll wind ‘em up” or if it’s a bit more strategic and an attempt to improve the dire relationship he appears to have with the fans at the minute.

just seeing pics of him in a Utd shirt annoy me. And there’s rumours that it’s Pereira that’s been offered as a make weight in any Bruno deal!! I hope this guy doesn’t steal a living ala Jones for the next 5 years

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    If Rashford is out, only Martial of my anticipated counter-attacking four has a goal in them. James not scored since August, Pereira and Lingard both once all season.

I think Greenwood’s complete inability to get involved against Wolves will see him saved for impact late on.

Josh 76

Can you provide examples of league games at Anfield where we would've lost if not for refereeing, VAR or mistakes from the opposition?

City maybe? I'm struggling to think of many.
    Read the quote I replied to. I was referring to "been over a year since we have dropped points at Anfield"

Red For Ever

2- 0 United :wenger:

never bet against United.

Does anyone remember the video of one of Saddams generals cliauming the USA had been defeated or turned back, can’t remember exactly.

In the background were American soldiers and tanks rolling into Baghdad as he said it

Thats how I feel about my prediction.

Josh 76

Sky are doing the usual over the top preview of this meaningless game. (Liverpool already champions and best team in the "world" , Utd best 3 players out injured and in crap form and top 4 a long shot). Apparently live from Anfield tomorrow at 10am. WTF

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
    Scout
    Assuming Rashy is out, I'd play a false 9... Pin Martial and James wide and give them very little defensive responsibilities... With covering of their full backs coming from our midfielders.

Only problem with this is the false 9 will have to do a shit load of running... And it'll probably be Lingard :nervous:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
    I hope we'll be the first ones to beat them this season and end their unbeaten run.

Coops73

Before everyone gets carried away and takes this thread wildly off track, Sky also went over the Carragher on Nani challenge along with a few others.

There's nothing to see here.
    I wonder if they’ll go over Carragher spitting on child incident....nothing to see there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 83% of 325 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions