Kick-off
Sun, 17 January 2021 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Fabinho has been great as a CB this season. Whoever will play next to him on Sunday will be below average though - it's either Williams who's slower than my grandma or Matip who won't be 100% fit. Could be Nat Phillips too maybe, not sure, but he's not anything special either.
    I reckon it’ll be Jordan Henderson again with Thiago in midfield.

BFernandes

I would love to see Henderson put back in defence alongside Fabinho.

The more midfielders they put in their defence to cover injuries to van Dijk and Gomez the better. Their defence will be shite because they're midfielders, and their midfield will also weaken as a result.

arnie_ni

Ddg
    Awb bailly maguire Shaw
    Mct pogb Fred
    Bruno
    Rash martial

Shaw and awh deal with the widest player be in winger or fullback while Mct and Fred have to watch the inside runners. This is the dangerous area, when their wide men and fullbacks double up and they can pass and move around you to get into crossing positions. Fred and mct need to help out on these wide areas.

That leaves maguire and bailly in the 6 yard box defend the crosses instead of getting pulled out into channels when their fullbacks attack.

Bruno man makes thiago. As he hardly ever gets ahead of the ball, this means Bruno will automatically be in a counter attacking position when he turn the ball over.

Martial and radhford always stay up top for the counter. If their fullbacks go up we are 2 vs 2 all day.

Think we'll go with the midfield diamond, split strikers formation that we've went to in quite a few big games. Almost ends up as a 4-2-2-2 more than a pure diamond.

--------------De Gea

AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw

---------Fred----McTom

Bruno---------------------Pogba

-------Martial--Rashford

Unlucky for Cavani to miss out. Might be tempted to play him instead of Martial...although he's not as well suited to a split striker formation.

tomaldinho1

Those two are of course excellent players, but hopefully bad central defenders. And Henderson in particular is not tall enough for this role
    It's also that without them, Fabinho in particular, in midfield they are so much more open. The knock on is huge as AWB/Robertson have less freedom and actually have to cover defensively a lot more and that really cripples them, it's not hyperbole to think we could actually win comfortably. never easy and no doubt it will be a 100mph game but this is where our squad depth/quality is so key.

RedDevilRoshi

Even if Lindelof makes a full recovery in time for this game, then I hope Ole doesn’t automatically stick him in to partner Maguire. Bailly has been really good and doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

Gator Nate

3-5-2
    DDG
    Bailly - Maguire - Shaw
    AWB - Pogba - Fred - Bruno - Telles
    Martial - Rashford

or

4-4-2 Diamond
    DDG
    AWB - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw
    Fred
    Pogba - McTominay
    Bruno
    Martial - Rashford

Either way, subs Cavani/Van de Beek/James​

As a front two formation, Martial and Rashford are interchangeable. And I wouldn't be shocked at a formation shift at halftime.

Liverfools 0-2 MUFC

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    Just saw on BBC sport that Liverpool were 30 points ahead of us when we played this fixture last season. We haven’t lost an away game since then. That’s quite astonishing really.
    That's incredible.

Can't wait to beat them on Sunday.

PoTMS

Our last win at Anfield.
    Sunday 17th January 2016.

Our next game at Anfield.
    Sunday 17th January 2021.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
    Supports
    Liverpool
    That record will be gone by Sunday evening.

Trust me.
    Could be yeah. Would suck to see it stop specifically by United's doing.

Gonna hide in the NFL thread for at least a week if it happens.

croadyman

We haven't lost a home league game since then either, plus some odd 2-3 years added to that ;)
    Yeah much as it pains me to give scousers credit it's an unbelievable home record and will take an incredible effort from everyone to end it

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
    ——————-DDG—————
    AWB—Bailly—Maguire—Telles
    ———Fred———Mctominay——
    —— <—Pogba—> ——
    Mason——Bruno—-Rashford

Bruno playing as a false 9

Pogba in 3 man midfield with license to get forward or drop in when needed
    I could see something like this happening (or a 4-4-2 diamond) because Ole will want to take advantage of the space behind Robertson and TAA. Either way, I see us playing a low block and counter attacking. Which unfortunately may mean Lindelof partners Maguire...

Alemar

We haven't lost a home league game since then either, plus some odd 2-3 years added to that ;)
    But it’s not like people here are saying that your team is shit. Of course not, it’s just being disliked , and quite rightly so :)

That said, it’s currently a very good time for United to win against you, as we have momentum, and you have some dip in form lately. With a central defense pairing of Fabinho and Henderson, I would think that United is currently a stronger team, so we of course have chances to win. Much better chances than any other opponent you may face (apart from City maybe)

RedDevil@84

I think we will try to play our boring defensive game, with Pool trying to punt the ball long every few minutes. And of course trying to get into set-piece situations.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    Could be yeah. Would suck to see it stop specifically by United's doing.

Gonna hide in the NFL thread for at least a week if it happens.
    RAWK will be over the moon to see the record go so they can finally get those t-shirts printed and the DVD released.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

PoTMS

If these cnuts score against us, it will come from a corner or a free kick. We really need to be on our game defending set pieces.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    I think we will try to play our boring defensive game, with Pool trying to punt the ball long every few minutes. And of course trying to get into set-piece situations.
    Counterattacking is the most viable strategy in combatting Klopps' high back line and high press, especially with our pacy strikers and their less-than-pacy, injury-depleted defence.

Coops73

I’d feel a lot more comfortable about this game if our strikers were in some kind of form, hopefully Forlan will give Cavani a call and tell him if he scores the winner against these cnuts he’ll forever be a legend at United.

Alemar

Counterattacking is the most viable strategy in combatting Klopps' high back line and high press, especially with our pacy strikers and their less-than-pacy, injury-depleted defence.
    Do you think Klopp will really play high press given their injury situation? Their midfield is not fresh enough for that...

Lewnited

I'm not a big fan of the back 3/5, but it undeniably worked well when we played them at home last season despite looking shocking personnel wise, and this is when they were bang in form as well. I think if we approach this in the same way and use our wingbacks to pin down Robertson and TAA high up the pitch, we have a good chance.

De gea

Telles
    Shaw
    Maguire
    Bailly
    AWB

Fred
    Pogba
    Bruno

Martial
    Rashford

I'd go with McTominay here normally, but Pogba's in great form right now and could be crucial in beating the press and starting our counter attacks. Fred, Shaw and Bailly is good enough cover for Maguire as well.
    Martial's lost his shooting boots but I'd still opt for him to start with because of how threatening we are on the counter. See where we are at the hour mark and swap out Telles/Shaw for Cavani.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    Do you think Klopp will really play high press given their injury situation? Their midfield is not fresh enough for that...
    I watch Liverpool a lot (I'm sad, I know) and they very rarely deviate from Klopp's gegenpress strategy, if ever. Klopp may tell his players to reign it in somewhat, be more cautious than normal, but I wouldn't expect anything other than the patterned gegenpress.

podurban2

For once it will be us that is more up for this than them.

Either team is perfectly capable of thrashing the other but the lack of fans will temper the atmosphere somewhat.

Rashford Cavani
    Bruno
    Pogba - Fred - McTominay
    Shaw - Maguire - Lindelof - AWB
    De Gea

We can't afford passengers in this game, sorry Greenwood, and we will need to keep them from dominating us in midfield.
    Pogba and Fred/McT will be kept busy supporting our fullbacks defensively, and if he is fit, we will need Lindelof's composure.
    Why not play Bailly instead of Lindelöf? He has been one of our best players the last couple of games. Otherwise I agree with this line-up.

Alemar

I watch Liverpool a lot (I'm sad, I know) and they very rarely deviate from Klopp's gegenpress strategy, if ever. Klopp may tell his players to reign it in somewhat, be more cautious than normal, but I wouldn't expect anything other than the patterned gegenpress.
    All right. But then it means that once gegenpress is passed by, we only need to deal with Henderson and Fabinho as CBs to score. Doesn’t sound as an impossible task, especially considering their full backs are very attacking and will hardly help the defenders

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    ---------------De Gea--------------------
    ----Bailly-----Maguire-Tuanzebe-------
    AWB--------------------------------Shaw
    ---------McTominay--Fred--------------
    -----------------Bruno-------------------
    --------Rashford----Cavani--------------

tenpoless

So the last time we beat Liverpool at Anfield in the league, this was our team :D:

De Gea
    Darmian Smalling Blind Young
    Herrera Schneiderlin Fellaini
    Lingard
    Martial Rooney​
    This was when i thought Van Gaal found our best 11. Fellaini on the left looked weird but it was very effective, they had no answer to us putting long balls to him to control with his chest. No players could get near him, he couldnt be bullied when he did that. He's a limited player but an annoyance to deal with.

Which makes me think Cavani is the perfect player for this type of match. We need a bit of shithousery up front. Don't think MMM could provide that.

Why not play Bailly instead of Lindelöf? He has been one of our best players the last couple of games. Otherwise I agree with this line-up.
    Liverpool will try to press us high up the pitch and Lindelof is probably our most composed defender on the ball. Off it, he reads the game well against multiple attackers of Liverpool's calibre. Bailly is good but he takes risks and he doesn't position himself as well.

It all depends if he is fit enough to come straight back into a game like this.

Doracle

I’m assuming McFred will be back. Can’t see Bailly being dropped given his form and Martial looked unlikely to be fit to me, so I’m expecting the following team:

DDG

AWB
    Bailly
    Maguire
    Shaw

McFred

Rashford
    Bruno
    Pogba

Cavani

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    Think we'll go with the midfield diamond, split strikers formation that we've went to in quite a few big games. Almost ends up as a 4-2-2-2 more than a pure diamond.

--------------De Gea

AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw

---------Fred----McTom

Bruno---------------------Pogba

-------Martial--Rashford

Unlucky for Cavani to miss out. Might be tempted to play him instead of Martial...although he's not as well suited to a split striker formation.
    this is it I’d say. maybe Cavani for martial. I have this a low scoring game. Hoping we can knick a 1-0. I genuinely think they are there for the taking but if we start slow to the second ball it will set the tone they will keep coming and beat us.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions