Kick-off
Sun, 17 January 2021 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

TrustInOle

This will be the slowest week in ages. Can't stop thinking about this game already. I am silently confident we are gonna smash them and their record. :nervous:

Alemar

Could the admins please delete Fosu-Mensah from selection options?

Dve

If we are going to play on the counter, we need both aggression in the midfield and someone to play that long pass.

.................. De Gea

Bissaka - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw

... McTominay - Pogba - Fred

............... Fernandes

........ Rashford - Martial

Stevondo8

Ddg
    AWB bailly Maguire shaw
    Fred Pogba
    Greenwood Bruno rashford
    Cavani

They might be light in defence, but they’ll still have TAA and Robertson so Greenwood and Rashford will have to do a lot of work going backwards. Some would argue Fabinho is there 2nd best centre back anyway (he’s available right?), so it’s only really that 2nd centre back that will be weak. Stick Cavani on him, attack that side heavily with Shaw, Pogba and Rashford. That’s where our opportunities will come from.

Mcking

Drop the player who was MOM against Villa and Burnley? Makes sense
    Just think Rashford on the left would be better for this game. Liverpool have a very weak right side, and I expect them to have more of the ball, so Rashford could be a good outlet.

Not sure how Pogba would look on the right side, maybe play him there and have him interchange with Fernandes in the middle.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    De Gea
    Wan-Bissaka — Bailly — Maguire — Shaw
    McTominay — Fred
    Rashford — Fernandes — Pogba
    Martial​

Cavani winner off the bench.:smirk:

Alemar

Not sure how Pogba would look on the right side, maybe play him there and have him interchange with Fernandes in the middle.
    Maybe to play Pogba as a 10 with Bruno a false 9, or just a diamond. Rashford and one of Martial or Greenwood as forwards

Tapori

Because he is one of the worst players we’ve ever had
    He’d be effective if he could do anything once he catches up with the ball
    But he just gives it away so o don’t see how that’s effective
    Pure Hyperbole
    You don't remember bebe or bellion or Orbetan?
    At least James has contributed i big games.

Giggsy13

Hope: We win 3-0. Matching them for intensity and attacking stats. Scoring early first goal. And very very late 2 more goals.
    Expectation: Draw 1-1. We score first early in second half, then defend like mad until 85th minute when Lindelof missed a header from a corner. Then hanging on for the draw. Huge sigh relief in the end. Still top of the league.
    Disaster: Lost by more than 2 goals. Totally dominated and with no shots in target. Ole out!

Should be exciting in any case.
    Lindelof should not be anywhere near this game.

dal

—————Rashford—————————
    —————————————Greenwood
    ——Pogba——————————————
    ———————————-Bruno—————
    ————Mctominay—————————
    ————————————Fred—————
    Shaw——————————————AWB
    ———-—Maguire———Bailly————
    ————————-De Gea———————

Our best team in my eyes.

Cavani to win it.

Lee565

He's going to start James isn't he...

I can see it being

----de gea
    Awb--bailly-Maguire-shaw
    ---------mctominay-fred
    James--fernandes-rashford
    -------------cavani

SirScholes

How many big games did they contribute in?
    I don’t think James has apart from a spawny deflection of a Chelsea defenders leg

bellion 29 apps 8 goals (no idea who against, Spurs was one if I remember) 2m down the drain

obertan, bugger all but also only made 14 apps apparently, 3 mill down the drain

James over 50 apps and 6 goals, 15 mil down the drain

Last edited:

SirScholes

It's imperative to take at least a point from this game. I don't think we should be approaching this gang-ho as a free hit. Ole needs to set us up to not lose, force Liverpool into taking the risks, then punish them.
    I don’t think it is at all, we’ve got to the top whilst having a poor top 6 return, the big games against Liverpool are great for confidence but if we lose tomorrow and then go on another 9 out 11 winning streak we’ll most likely be back on top

0le

This was when i thought Van Gaal found our best 11. Fellaini on the left looked weird but it was very effective, they had no answer to us putting long balls to him to control with his chest. No players could get near him, he couldnt be bullied when he did that. He's a limited player but an annoyance to deal with.

Which makes me think Cavani is the perfect player for this type of match. We need a bit of shithousery up front. Don't think MMM could provide that.
    I agree, an element of shithousery is always needed. The Herrera/Gerrard incident will live long in the memory :lol:

Foxbatt

Ddg
    AWB bailly Maguire shaw
    Fred Pogba
    Greenwood Bruno rashford
    Cavani

They might be light in defence, but they’ll still have TAA and Robertson so Greenwood and Rashford will have to do a lot of work going backwards. Some would argue Fabinho is there 2nd best centre back anyway (he’s available right?), so it’s only really that 2nd centre back that will be weak. Stick Cavani on him, attack that side heavily with Shaw, Pogba and Rashford. That’s where our opportunities will come from.
    Greenwood is never going to defend. If Martial is fit he has to play instead of Greenwood. I wold go with `Rashford and Martial up front with a 4 man midfield.

croadyman

Think we are capable of getting a result against Fulham if Bruno, Shaw or Harry pick up a fifth booking on Sunday, however would be great if they could somehow avoid it. The Arsenal game is the one I would be worried about any of them being suspended for

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    Think we are capable of getting a result against Fulham if Bruno, Shaw or Harry pick up a fifth booking on Sunday, however would be great if they could somehow avoid it. The Arsenal game is the one I would be worried about any of them being suspended for
    Resets on game week 19 right? Surely they can go 2 games avoiding it. Let's hope.

USREDEVIL

No idea who's gonna win but it better be us. Good time for us to play them as well, been looking pretty solid and they have been inconsistent recently.

Red Star One

Scared shitless for that one. Anfield is a fortress these days and I'd settle for a draw, but it's been many years that I wanted a league win so badly. We're in a decent form and they've been dropping some points / playing quite bad, but Ole's record against big teams is rather awful, so they will be heavy favourites. All gods help us.

roseguy64

The 3 point cushion is exactly what we needed to take some pressure off.

We can lose now and still be level on points (game in hand). The players won't feel so much weight on their shoulders going into the game.

Liverpool in the last few years have probably had better big game experience....but we have momentum on our side.

Lets do this boys
    We no longer have a game in hand

SAFMUTD

This title race is against Liverpool but more importantly against City, if we are serious about winning we should aim for the 3 points and not settle for a draw. City is 4 points behind with one less game, so if we draw they would overtake us by winning their games (which they probably would).

Sunday we'll know if we are serious about challenging, I'm expecting a big game performance from Maguire, Pogba but Specially Bruno and Rashford. Lets do this!

diarm

I fancy McTominay to feed his early goal habit again here and us to win 3-1. Rashford will get the second on the counter - they'll pull one back only for Cavani to settle it late on.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
    After recent performances, i hope Pogba and Bailly play. Our team against Burnley was probably our best current line up, but i get starting Fred for Matic as he's faster to cover ground.

So im hoping for a diamond with Rashford and Cavani up top. There is also a case to be made in playing Martial and Rashford occupying the space left by their fullbacks.

cptkeane1993

We need to be wary of Klopp's mind games pre-match. It was clear from today's decisions that his moans are clearly having an influence on proceedings.
    This.

Why do refs always fall for it. Their integrity is questioned and that turns out to be advantageous to the person who does it. Lampard did it before the semifinal and it worked a treat

theklr

This title race is against Liverpool but more importantly against City, if we are serious about winning we should aim for the 3 points and not settle for a draw. City is 4 points behind with one less game, so if we draw they would overtake us by winning their games (which they probably would).

Sunday we'll know if we are serious about challenging, I'm expecting a big game performance from Maguire, Pogba but Specially Bruno and Rashford. Lets do this!
    I dont quite understand this, when are teams (especially ours) settling for a draw? The aim will always be 3 points.

But you cant go gung-ho against Liverpool in any shape , way or form. The way to get 3 points here is (as against City) to play careful and calculated while hoping the front men click.

Because if you get a goal against, 3 points is practically impossible.

And if you are looking at a title challenge a draw here is good enough, because its one of the most difficult games all season.

Crustanoid

To be fair their record at home, the refereeing agenda and the fact they are due a win goes heavily in their favour.

On a sidenote I dreamt we won 7-0.Evra was still playing for us and scored the last goal and our players were going mental. They lost the plot and had two players sent off. For some reason the season then ended and they finished 20th but when I looked closer at the table City were 18th. Then I woke up.

Siorac

I agree, an element of shithousery is always needed. The Herrera/Gerrard incident will live long in the memory :lol:
    Those were two different games though. Gerrard's sending off was in the Juanfield game near the end of 2014/15; our last win at Anfield was next season, in January 2016 with Rooney scoring the winner in an awful game.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    To be fair their record at home, the refereeing agenda and the fact they are due a win goes heavily in their favour.

On a sidenote I dreamt we won 7-0.Evra was still playing for us and scored the last goal and our players were going mental. They lost the plot and had two players sent off. For some reason the season then ended and they finished 20th but when I looked closer at the table City were 18th. Then I woke up.
    They will play their usual game; press,attack down the flanks, whip crosses into Mane,Firmino and Salah. They haven’t wavered from this tactic even when losing

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions